What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HELP! Trying to get Khalil Mack listed as DE (1 Viewer)

spider321

Footballguy
Dynasty league.  I own Mack.  Website lists him as LB.

Can someone link a site that lists his snaps at DE and LB last season?

I'm also making the case that with Bruce Irvin on the team, Mack will play even more at DE.

Any suggestions to help make my case?

Dynasty league.  I own Mack.  Website lists him as LB.

Can someone link a site that lists his snaps at DE and LB last season?

I'm also making the case that with Bruce Irvin on the team, Mack will play even more at DE.

Any suggestions to help make my case?
Try Football Outsiders, they have snap counts. Though it's shown as DL not exactly DE/NT/DT. LB is shown as LB. You can filter it by "All" for all season. I had no idea he lined up at DE. I don;t think they do this by actual lined up position as opposed to roster assigned position though. For instance I don't think they showed Jimmy Graham at WR just because he lined up there, they showed him at his official TE position IIRC.

Only thing I can think of are some of the team sites and maybe salary cap sites which showed this. I'd also guess maybe PFF premium, I might even email them to ask them.

I believe (though could definitely be wrong) that if you're using an MFL league, the position of an IDP player (or any, really) is based on what they're listed at on the Rotoworld depth charts.

Since when is Rotoworld right about anything?  lol

Yes, he played mostly at LB as a rookie, but last season he had more snaps at DE.  That differential should increase now that they have Bruce Irvin.

ESPN Link

If anyone finds any other evidence, please let me know.

Hopefully, the website won't fight me on this.

He's more valuable if I can plug him as a DE in my league.

Yes, he played mostly at LB as a rookie, but last season he had more snaps at DE.  That differential should increase now that they have Bruce Irvin.

ESPN Link

This reminds me of when people move into a semi-industrial neighborhood, and then are upset that it isn't residential enough, so they try to kick out legacy businesses via re-zoning.

spider321 said:

ESPN Link

MFL used to use NFL.com listings. Connected to Roto's database, whom also uses NFL.com, is just easier.

I didn't pay close enough attention to this DE/LB stuff. He looked like a typical OLB at the LOS when I noticed. 

MFL changes positions at the last possible moment. It's an annual thread here just before week 1. If you find it on a team site they may change it before but they usually wait.

I don't think the All-Pro vote helps you. IMO If it's confusing, you leave well enough alone. That has never happened, so there is no precedent. Also, the Raiders have zero reason to let this info out. If anything, it's in their favor to leave teams guessing which he'll play.

I've been using MFL for what seems like 100 years. My guess is you won't get what you want here but...good luck

spider321 said:

ESPN Link

Is pat of your argument on this the link you included, than mentions he was an All-Pro linebacker last year?

What is your point, mass?  He was named All-Pro at both positions.

As the link points out, Mack played more snaps at DE than LB this past season.  Also, the Raiders recently signed Bruce Irvin.

This season he will more likely than not(yes, that was intentional) play even more snaps at DE and less snaps at LB than he did last season.

Is it unreasonable to ask that the guy be listed at the position that he actually plays the majority of the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your point, mass?  He was named All-Pro at both positions.

As the link points out, Mack played more snaps at DE than LB this past season.  Also, the Raiders recently signed Bruce Irvin.

This season he will more likely than not(yes, that was intentional) play even more snaps at DE and less snaps at LB than he did last season.

Is it unreasonable to ask that the guy be listed at the position that he actually plays the majority of the time?
Well, first let me say I agree with you 100%.  He's their starting left defensive end, and I don't even know who played the 2nd most snaps at LDE for the Raiders this year.  Maybe Mayowa, or Autry.  Edwards/Tuck everyone else was lined up opposite him on the right side.  

I'm amazed he played that many at LB, and not even sure I trust those stats.  If the NFL were to ever created an EDGE position, that's where he'd be.  

But fantasy web sites have to have rule, and stick with it, if they get in the business of judgement calls, their inbox would be swamped.  They go by the Rotoworld, depth charts, which use the team's.  I think.  

This argument has been made about other players, like Suggs.  However, to take the other side, this isn't a problem with Denver, why?  Because Rotoworld uses a 3-4 as the base defense for them, and a 4-3 as base defense for Oakland.  Von Miller's role is very, very similar to Mack's, they essentially play the exact same position.  That could be a completely separate argument, about defensive alignments.  Ware is a LB, and he plays DE even more than Miller or Mack, I would bet.  If Mack gets listed as a DE, Miller and Ware owners should start crying foul as well. 

My cynical thought is that it is in the best interest of the Raiders to list him as a LB, as franchise tags for DE is lower than LB.  My guess is that you won't be seeing this change anytime soon.  

So I believe this is going to be a lost cause for you.  

With the positional quirks of fantasy football, my advice is to try and take advantage where you can:  Find CBs that play some safety, find DTs that play a lot of DE, and accumulate as many of these new S/LB hybrids that we are seeing.  My starting safeties last year were Deone Buchanon and Mark Barron.  Good times.  

I disagree that Von Miller and Mack "essentially play the same position".  I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Miller lines up at LB WAYYY more often than he has his hand on the ground.  Mack has his hand down(playing DE) more often than not.

My league rules state that you start only 3 IDP's, and only 2 of those can play the same position.  The positions are DL, LB, and DB(DT/DE are the same, OLB/ILB are the same, and CB/S are the same).

As the owner of Navorro Bowman, Bobby Wagner, and Khalil Mack, you can see why I'd like to be able to use Mack as a DL.

It may be a lost cause for me, but I doubt it.  I think the case for him to be listed as a DE is much stronger than the case against.

I also started Deone Bucannon at DB some last season.  lol.

Alex P Keaton said:
This reminds me of when people move into a semi-industrial neighborhood, and then are upset that it isn't residential enough, so they try to kick out legacy businesses via re-zoning.
It reminds me more of when the City keep changing the zoning from residential to industrial and then back again, at random dates after the public cannot appeal their 'decision'. 

It reminds me more of when the City keep changing the zoning from residential to industrial and then back again, at random dates after the public cannot appeal their 'decision'. 
It reminds me more of when someone wants residential areas zoned as residential, and industrial areas zoned as industrial.

You know, like zoning them as what they actually are.

Let me get this straight. You've come to a FBG forum to try and get Mack's position changed on MFL who uses Rotoworld depth charts as their official position database because then he will be more valuable to your fantasy team   

Good luck to you.  

Let me get this straight. You've come to a FBG forum to try and get Mack's position changed on MFL who uses Rotoworld depth charts as their official position database because then he will be more valuable to your fantasy team   

Good luck to you.  
I never said it was on MFL, and I posted to see if others could suggest websites to help me make my case.

...and yes, so he will be more valuable to my fantasy team.

Thanks for the well wishes, though!

Users who are viewing this thread