What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Here we go again.. I.E. Job situation (1 Viewer)

:lol:

I am glad I jumped into learning the Power Platform when it first came out 5 years ago.

Between the "raise" I received moving to my current company in January, and this "raise" with this offer, my salary has increased 40k since December. :eek:
Plus saving all that cash eating early birds 🤣

I knew you were older than me thought by a little more...... So I'll just pretend you are 60 now

Curious to hear how your direct manager reacts when you give notice. If I understand right, it’s your manager’s manager who is the micro-managing problem. But it’s your managers job to deal with that and protect their team. To me, your manager is as much to blame for you leaving as their manager is.

Curious to hear how your direct manager reacts when you give notice. If I understand right, it’s your manager’s manager who is the micro-managing problem. But it’s your managers job to deal with that and protect their team. To me, your manager is as much to blame for you leaving as their manager is.
I agree on the fact my Manager had plenty of opportunities to try and get in front of this over the past 4 to 6 weeks and choose to just "See how it goes".. Definitely going to be intereting to get his reaction on Monday.. One of the times being fully remote comes in handy as doing it in person I'd be more more :oldunsure: on the reaction.

snogger said:
I agree on the fact my Manager had plenty of opportunities to try and get in front of this over the past 4 to 6 weeks and choose to just "See how it goes".. Definitely going to be intereting to get his reaction on Monday.. One of the times being fully remote comes in handy as doing it in person I'd be more more :oldunsure: on the reaction.
See how it goes; meaning he is comfortable with the situation, afraid to speak up or doesn't want to rock the boat on account of you; possibly all three.

Last edited by a moderator:
See how it goes; meaning he is comfortable with the situation, afraid to speak up or doesn't want to rock the boat on account of you; possibly all three.
I know for a fact he feels the same way.
Before we were officially assigned under this Micro-manager he had told his boss at that time that he would NOT be happy if we were put under this guys leadership..
Yet, here we are and he knows how I feel but, as you said, doesn't want to rock the boat..

Well, I guess we shall see how that works out come Monday :whistle:

Before we were officially assigned under this Micro-manager he had told his boss at that time that he would NOT be happy if we were put under this guys leadership..
Yet, here we are and he knows how I feel but, as you said, doesn't want to rock the boat..

How goes the new gig?

Offer accepted.. As starting date isn't until July 11th, going to wait on putting in my notice until Friday.

Good news ......I found out the Micro-Manager is going to be on vacation next week, and possibly some of the following week.

So if all works out well I will only have to deal with him for half a week before :bye:
Will you not give your current company an opportunity to counter offer?
I would never do that. Once I have made my mind that I want out.....I leave. The counteroffer is always a bandaid, and once you have shown that you can walk out the door, management will look at you if they need to lay off people. It doesn't change your work situation. I have heard stories where counteroffers worked out, but most of the time it's better to just leave and move on.

Offer accepted.. As starting date isn't until July 11th, going to wait on putting in my notice until Friday.

Good news ......I found out the Micro-Manager is going to be on vacation next week, and possibly some of the following week.

So if all works out well I will only have to deal with him for half a week before :bye:
Will you not give your current company an opportunity to counter offer?
I would never do that. Once I have made my mind that I want out.....I leave. The counteroffer is always a bandaid, and once you have shown that you can walk out the door, management will look at you if they need to lay off people. It doesn't change your work situation. I have heard stories where counteroffers worked out, but most of the time it's better to just leave and move on.
Yep, and as an employer/manager, I have a strict "don't negotiate with terrorists" policy. My bad if I didn't do what was needed to keep you on board, but know that if you are worth it, I tried, and you're better off moving on if the company won't help.

Yeah, this one is easy.

IMO, don't burn your bridges or anything, just let them know that with the merger you recognize that you haven't been able to align with some of the new management and figure they should have someone different in the role.

Once you do you're pot committed to the move though IMO.
this.

you've already spoken to your manager- I suppose you could always have another talk to further express this "lack of alignment" with the other management guy, and to be able to put a pretty bow on why you're accepting this new position after you've accepted it.

my boat- after a long, very strange recruitment period where I haven't been able to leave my current consulting gig due to an ever delayed timeline outside of my control, I'm finally starting as an employee again at a new spot after the 4th.

I wish I was feeling more jumpy&quo about it.

this has been a sadly wrong fit- the work is same ball park, but with DH. 3 months in, and I feel like I'm not doing what I've been doing for 20+ years... so I'm not getting to work to my strengths at all. feels crappy, and I know I'm not doing a great job either.

and the only time I had a counter offer from my at-the-time current employer- it worked out great. I was only leaving because a previous employer wanted me back and was willing to pay a lot more. my at the time employer- who I loved- didn't want me to leave when I gave notice, and matched the offer. it hadn't occured to me that that was even an option. architecture stinks.

How goes the new gig?
Thanks for asking.. Things are going GREAT here.
Went from a micro-micro manager to a manager who checks in once a week to see how things are going and if I need anything, otherwise leaves us in full control of the Power Platform.
If we want to make changes, he trusts what we say and pushes upper management to get it done if needed.

Finding working with the rest of company is great as well..
Been here just over 90 days and they've already let me take 2 weeks of vacation.. paid :-)
Also, the training department is helping me setup 2 weeks of training to present to the company on what the Power Platform can do for them..
All in all, VERY happy with the move!

I 'lived' in management cubeville/corporate America for 15 years. Soul crushing. I quit the lifestyle and now wait tables at a local pizzeria. I love the job, my boss is funny as !$#% and we get along great.

I make 50% of what I did. I don't care. My wife has a great career with a large corp. She is happy there. She also doesn't care. She is happy that I am happy.

Here is my take: Corporate America doesn't care a whit about you. They only care about the happiness of the shareholders. The corporate mission statement includes such platitudes as "We are a team" and "Everyone should think of themselves as an owner". I have no way of describing the absolute desolation of commanding a work week of 70 hours, a hiring/firing HR department in line with a team of lawyers and nothing to do with common sense and/or a sense of fair play, and to hell with attending your childs musical/sports/club/hobby.

This is part of the capitalistic America they don't tell you about.

Corporate America is where the money is. It is also the path of ignoring your kids, your spouse, and your soul.

ETA: Yes, my wife works in an environment I seem to be discrediting. I have no excuse. lol I am very lucky. My wife can work for the corporate overlords while I say how bad they are.

Has anyone had their job outsourced and have to perform "Knowledge Transfer" to the new resource? It's about my last straw with Corporate America. Sure, I'll dig my own grave while you supervise! :excited:

It for sure solidifies my belief that those who rise to the level of "management" don't actually know anything about the jobs they manage. People that "climb" simply outlast everyone else. They have one true skill - endurance.

I have the option of taking three months of internal "re-skilling"/training at current pay/benefits/401k match and if things don't work out (get a new job within the company) then get two months severance OR just leave for what amounts to four months severance.

I'm leaving towards taking the money and running.

Has anyone had their job outsourced and have to perform "Knowledge Transfer" to the new resource? It's about my last straw with Corporate America. Sure, I'll dig my own grave while you supervise! :excited:

It for sure solidifies my belief that those who rise to the level of "management" don't actually know anything about the jobs they manage. People that "climb" simply outlast everyone else. They have one true skill - endurance.

I have the option of taking three months of internal "re-skilling"/training at current pay/benefits/401k match and if things don't work out (get a new job within the company) then get two months severance OR just leave for what amounts to four months severance.

Is the training something you need/want and could help you land another (or better) job? If so, that’s what I would lean towards given it’s just 2 extra months.

Is the training something you need/want and could help you land another (or better) job? If so, that’s what I would lean towards given it’s just 2 extra months.
It's pretty open ended. It's essentially self-directed and consists of internally produced videos/documents. Sort of choose your own adventure.

What is not is "here's a budget to go sign up for classes somewhere". So it feels kind of a half measure.

I just spent the last two years transitioning away from development into QA. I'm not psyched to change direction again.

didn't happen to me, but I do know that one of the companies I left outsourced 90% of the IT department and yea, they were told "Knowledge transfer".. Many had heard the rumors and had already been applying else where and left with ".. Here are bunch of my notes.. good luck". :lmao:

My favorite part is how just last month we were told that we needed to come to the office three days a week to improve customer service and collaboration.

Now my job can be done by someone in the other side of the planet and by someone who has never worked with the stuff I've spent years acquiring the knowledge to do.

I'd be insulted if I didn't think it was such a big ****ing joke .

My favorite part is how just last month we were told that we needed to come to the office three days a week to improve customer service and collaboration.

Now my job can be done by someone in the other side of the planet and by someone who has never worked with the stuff I've spent years acquiring the knowledge to do.

I don't know the nature of your business, but my experience being a part of 3 outsourcing "experiments" is that it will not go well.

Now I work in the SaaS space, so it may be unique to that, but entrusting the systems which directly support your customers/income to a 3rd party whose primary goal is to also make money, is a really bad idea.

I don't know the nature of your business, but my experience being a part of 3 outsourcing "experiments" is that it will not go well.

Now I work in the SaaS space, so it may be unique to that, but entrusting the systems which directly support your customers/income to a 3rd party whose primary goal is to also make money, is a really bad idea.
I moved from PeopleSoft development into being a QA Analyst in the finance area of a very large German insurance company. I did testing for about a half dozen different applications.

My first question when doing the knowledge transfer was "Have you EVER worked with PeopleSoft?" The response was "No. Never".

My motto ever since has been GFL-NMFP.

Users who are viewing this thread