What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High voltage power lines and housing (2 Viewers)

Beautiful backyard with a pool that was replastered this year but in the back yard regular power lines cut across the back part of the yard. Behind the yard about 10 ft is a set of high powered power lines(the big ugly metal ones). I'm concerned about the potential health risks being that close to them and they are also an eye sore not to mention a hum noise you can hear in the backyard. Everything else on the house is exactly what we are looking for and love the house...

I welcome all advice and jokes at my expense. Thank you in advance.
Hire Erin Brockovich to do a study and see if there is also hexavalent chromium in the area.

You’d be surprised how much of my work is fixing what the last guy did, usually the homeowner. A surprising amount of people also don’t know to turn the circuit off when working on the wiring
What fun is that? A little jolt keeps you on your toes.

Some wonderful humor in this thread. I feel like this is such a subjective situation. For me personally—the high power electric power lines would be an instant “no” for me. I don’t trust the long term health ramifications with them, and I think they do limit the pool of potential buyers if you ever are in a position to sell or rent the home. I’d far rather live in a home that is 85-90% perfect for my/my families needs that isn’t around power lines like this versus a house that is 100% perfect but have the power lines.

Electrician here, apparently it’s amateur hour with the voltage jokes, but I digress. The power lines should be relatively okay, the hum noise is from the electrical field being stronger than what is needed to push some electricity into the air around the lines. Humidity makes it easier for that to happen, but it isn’t super dangerous. There’s basically enough power flowing that it’s making it into the air. 10 feet seems way too close to any property line, but I would imagine that the power company and zoning board had to have talks about it? In the end, the hum should be lessened on drier days, don’t go near the lines with anything metallic, but if the look of them is that much of a downer, I suppose keep looking
Those of us who spend a lot of time on this forum should probably do a little self-reflection when a professional electrician thinks it over and decides yeah I probably should warn these guys not to touch the live power line with a metal pole.
You’d be surprised how much of my work is fixing what the last guy did, usually the homeowner. A surprising amount of people also don’t know to turn the circuit off when working on the wiring

You try telling my kids they’re losing Wi-Fi for two hours while dad hangs a new light fixture.
Tell them they can be Amish for an afternoon or Amish for the rest of their time in the house. The choice is theirs

I was in a similar situation years ago and was worried about potential health effects.
You can find plenty of articles citing increased cancer rates and other issues. You also find plenty of articles saying it’s no problem.

We were staring a family and I knew in the back of our mind we would be wondering if it was hurting our kids so we passed. It aucked at the time but eventually found a house without those worries.
Good luck.

I would avoid a house anywhere near high power lines. I had jaw surgery almost 30 years ago. I can still feel the magnetic field in the fracture locations any time I am near lines. It is very uncomfortable and causes headaches. Worst super power ever.

Users who are viewing this thread