What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High voltage power lines and housing (1 Viewer)

Weebs210

Footballguy
Good evening all,

Maybe some wiser people then me can give me a little advice on my situation.
My fiance and I are looking for a house and recently we have come across a house that is exactly what we are looking for. We are in the option period right now but I can't get passed the down side.

Beautiful backyard with a pool that was replastered this year but in the back yard regular power lines cut across the back part of the yard. Behind the yard about 10 ft is a set of high powered power lines(the big ugly metal ones). I'm concerned about the potential health risks being that close to them and they are also an eye sore not to mention a hum noise you can hear in the backyard. Everything else on the house is exactly what we are looking for and love the house...

I welcome all advice and jokes at my expense. Thank you in advance.

I'm concerned about the potential health risks being that close to them and they are also an eye sore not to mention a hum noise you can hear in the backyard. Everything else on the house is exactly what we are looking for and love the house...

They have these in an area where I used to live. I'd always wonder how the people that lived there dealt with them. Best of luck to you and your fiancee on finding a new home. No jokes here. I think the potential health effects plus the hum would be enough to where no matter how much I liked the home, I couldn't bear to live by one of those towers.

One other side effect that may or may NOT apply to you, but was true in MA when I was a kid:

I was not a dirt bike kid, but all the dirt bike and ATV guys seemed to always be cruising the natural trail made by the power lines. I would not be surprised if you had a bit more traffic because of them.

My cousin lives in a subdivision near some. The neighbors in houses on the other side of the street get shocked when they are in their back yards.

Good evening all,

My fiance and I are looking for a house and recently we have come across a house that is exactly what we are looking for. We are in the option period right now but I can't get passed the down side.

Beautiful backyard with a pool that was replastered this year but in the back yard regular power lines cut across the back part of the yard. Behind the yard about 10 ft is a set of high powered power lines(the big ugly metal ones). I'm concerned about the potential health risks being that close to them and they are also an eye sore not to mention a hum noise you can hear in the backyard. Everything else on the house is exactly what we are looking for and love the house...

Years ago I painted houses(for many years) When moving ladders near high powered lines I would occasionally get zapped. Nothing terrible, not even really painful, but it scares the crap out of you. And by close, I don't mean 5-10 feet. I mean at least 30-40 feet away and then up however any more feet. I actually tape recorded the noise it made at a house (yes, that long ago actual tape recorder) once. We had our ladders stacked at back of property line and they were buzzing like crazy.

Long story short, no freaking way I live by those.

Good evening all,

Looks like all the electricity jokes have been said, so I will just say that a 10-foot setback is pretty close for powerlines of that size. If you're close enough to hear the hum, you're probably too close to have prolonged exposure. I would pass, unless you'd be open to paying for a study to confirm the voltage and recommended distance to living areas.

Good evening all,

Looks like all the electricity jokes have been said, so I will just say that a 10-foot setback is pretty close for powerlines of that size. If you're close enough to hear the hum, you're probably too close to have prolonged exposure. I would pass, unless you'd be open to paying for a study to confirm the voltage and recommended distance to living areas.
Even if it were completely safe, who wants to sit in the back yard and listen to that? It's a pass for me.

Electrician here, apparently it’s amateur hour with the voltage jokes, but I digress. The power lines should be relatively okay, the hum noise is from the electrical field being stronger than what is needed to push some electricity into the air around the lines. Humidity makes it easier for that to happen, but it isn’t super dangerous. There’s basically enough power flowing that it’s making it into the air. 10 feet seems way too close to any property line, but I would imagine that the power company and zoning board had to have talks about it? In the end, the hum should be lessened on drier days, don’t go near the lines with anything metallic, but if the look of them is that much of a downer, I suppose keep looking

Electrician here, apparently it’s amateur hour with the voltage jokes, but I digress. The power lines should be relatively okay, the hum noise is from the electrical field being stronger than what is needed to push some electricity into the air around the lines. Humidity makes it easier for that to happen, but it isn’t super dangerous. There’s basically enough power flowing that it’s making it into the air. 10 feet seems way too close to any property line, but I would imagine that the power company and zoning board had to have talks about it? In the end, the hum should be lessened on drier days, don’t go near the lines with anything metallic, but if the look of them is that much of a downer, I suppose keep looking
Those of us who spend a lot of time on this forum should probably do a little self-reflection when a professional electrician thinks it over and decides yeah I probably should warn these guys not to touch the live power line with a metal pole.

Those of us who spend a lot of time on this forum should probably do a little self-reflection when a professional electrician thinks it over and decides yeah I probably should warn these guys not to touch the live power line with a metal pole.
You’d be surprised how much of my work is fixing what the last guy did, usually the homeowner. A surprising amount of people also don’t know to turn the circuit off when working on the wiring

You’d be surprised how much of my work is fixing what the last guy did, usually the homeowner. A surprising amount of people also don’t know to turn the circuit off when working on the wiring
I'll bet that's the sort of mistake that one only makes once, for one reason or another.

You try telling my kids they’re losing Wi-Fi for two hours while dad hangs a new light fixture.

Schtick aside, wife and I also passed on a house with this situation a few years ago. I didn't want to sit on my back patio and look at them or hear the humming. Then there were also the possible health risks. It was an easy pass. Although it took us another year plus to find our current house.

Schtick aside, wife and I also passed on a house with this situation a few years ago. I didn't want to sit on my back patio and look at them or hear the humming. Then there were also the possible health risks. It was an easy pass. Although it took us another year plus to find our current house.
I see what you did there.

Update. I am going to get a emf reading done (if I can find one... these are hard to find unless I want to purchase my own reader..)

If it is high I'm going to pass on the house

Cancer risk with high voltage lines unlikely but possible/minimal?
Links between power lines and cancer have pretty much been disproven, and the fields drop off pretty rapidly with distances. I'd worry a lot more about the hum, its ugliness, and resale than the actual health effects from the wires, unless you have a bedroom with about 15 - 20 feet of the wires.

Update. I am going to get a emf reading done (if I can find one... these are hard to find unless I want to purchase my own reader..)

If it is high I'm going to pass on the house
Might be more than you want to spend, but this would be a good quality instrument for the measurements that is for rental

One other side effect that may or may NOT apply to you, but was true in MA when I was a kid:

I was not a dirt bike kid, but all the dirt bike and ATV guys seemed to always be cruising the natural trail made by the power lines. I would not be surprised if you had a bit more traffic because of them.
I was the dirtbike kid from MA (Plymouth) that DID live next to the powerlines.
I loved having quick access to them for dirtbiking, snowmobiling, big hills for sledding, etc.
Lived with them for 20+ years with no ill effects (to this point).
Also ... (insert corny electricity joke here)

But I heard prices in your area are surging, so it might be difficult to find another home that you like as much as this one.

I was the dirtbike kid from MA (Plymouth) that DID live next to the powerlines.
I loved having quick access to them for dirtbiking, snowmobiling, big hills for sledding, etc.
Lived with them for 20+ years with no ill effects (to this point).
Also ... (insert corny electricity joke here)
you might think there havent been any ill effects brohan but and i mean this with love we have all read your posts take that to the bank brochacho

If this house is fairly priced then you should go for it.

After you start growing extra arms and legs you are going to make do much more money at work because of how efficient you are.

Users who are viewing this thread