What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Entered my first official Cornhole event... (2 Viewers)

Bossman

Footballguy
I'm posting this as info for others that might be interested in competitive cornholing. I wish that I started doing this years ago.
I've been playing backyard Cornhole for a few years now. I've gotten pretty good compared to most of the backyard throwers that I've played with. I was wanting to test my skills against serious competition to see where I stand.
A friend of mine that plays in events turned me on to the Scoreholio app that has a local league / tournament finder. Thru the app, I set up a profile and found several events within 25 miles of my house.
I had no idea that Cornhole was so popular. Weeknight events maxed out at 40 players with a waiting list to get in. Someone could literally play every night of the week at a different venue if they chose to (some do). All indoors.
My first event was on a Friday night at a VFW just 7 miles from my house. $10 to enter and you're guaranteed at least 6 games.
I was nervous, not knowing anyone and not knowing what to expect. Turns out most people were really cool when I explained it was my first event. I ended up playing decent... seeded 13th out of 20. The top throwers are ridiculously good ... But the seeding pairs the bottom half of the players with the top half so it's not so lopsided. I didn't feel like I couldn't compete. Even when I wasn't scoring, I was at least limiting my opponents points. I averaged over 6 ppr.
Looking at my opponents profiles, I'm seeing that there are a lot of other players just starting out so seems like it is growing fast.
My next two events brought my ppr up to 6.6 and I finished in the top half of the seeding at the last event (my 3rd event).
I'm quickly becoming obsessed with it. I plan on doing 2 events per week. Way better than sitting on the couch watching television.
If anyone has questions, fire away.
The scorekeeping is really cool and tracks every round and gives your average points per round so you can gauge yourself against the field.

What is the beer situation at these events? BYOB? Entry fee gets 2 tickets for beers? Cash bar? Random kegs?
Depending on the event ...
1st was at a VFW ... the bar was within reach of the room where we played and domestic bottles were $3. Yuengling was $3.50
2nd event was at an Elks lodge. Bar was in a different room but the same $3 for domestic ... including Yuengling Black & Tan
3rd event was in an old mill building, 2nd floor, with portable propane heaters. This one is a bring your own beer.

Do you have to bring your own bags?
You are supposed to. ... but playing doubles, whoever you get partnered with should have bags.
I didn't own any "ACL Certified" bags so I just used whatever my partner was throwing.
I ended up buying a used set from a buddy ... and I still throw whatever my partner has.
They always ask if I want to use mine or theirs. Everyone is really cool about it.
It gives me a chance to sample different brands / models.
I really don't have a major preference just yet ... but faster is better for me.

Cornhole is really growing as a sport. I threw a friendly with Craig Ervin (lost 3-2 best of 5) last year and he was telling me about the dollars flowing into the game. If I lived in a different state i think I could play professionally and make enough to support my family. We wouldn't be rich but we'd eat. Very difficult to break into the ACO world rankings in OK. Just not enough opportunity to secure ranking points.

Still struggling with the name of this game. THATS the best that whoever could come up with.
Fish Tacos too....I just cant get past that. I'm 12

Cornhole is really growing as a sport. I threw a friendly with Craig Ervin (lost 3-2 best of 5) last year and he was telling me about the dollars flowing into the game. If I lived in a different state i think I could play professionally and make enough to support my family. We wouldn't be rich but we'd eat. Very difficult to break into the ACO world rankings in OK. Just not enough opportunity to secure ranking points.
Are you doing any local events?
Do you use Scoreholio or the ACO app?

Yes, I just heard that 700 players from around the country were at the championships, "upstairs", all competing to earn the right to play professionally.
I forget how many spots they said were available but it wasn't many.

What’s your go to shot? Underhand, side toss spin, or backhand float?
There is only one proper throw in Cornhole.
Flat spin like a Frisbee.
No one throws a Cornhole bag overhand ... and If you throw a "backhand float", I'm pretty sure whoever got stuck with you as a partner would quit on the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread