What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SF to Mendocino (1 Viewer)

SoBeDad

Footballguy
For Thanksgiving I'm traveling to SF to visit my 2 daughters, 1 is coming up from LA. We plan to drive the PCH and spend a night in Mendocino. There are many nice looking beaches and outlooks along the way. Any recommendations? For a guy from flat Florida, everything looks great. Is the Skunk Train in Ft. Bagg worthwhile?

One daughter was voted best budmaster in Florida 4 years ago. She and I are vegan

Oh you're going to fit right in, then!

It's called the Lost Coast for a reason. That said, it's visually stunning. Search "hidden beaches" and pick a few to check out, they are tucked in all along that stretch of the coast.

On the way up you'll go through Bodega Bay. If you're a Hitchcock fan hit the actual town of Bodega where The Birds was filmed. Not much there, mostly the church up on the hill, but cool to check out if you know the movie and the little store in town has lots of pics and some memorabilia from the making of the movie. For your omnivore Bodega Bay itself has some good seafood, and the clam chowder at Spud Point Crab Company is supposed to be pretty good (I don't love clams, so can't speak to that).

Just like any road trip on the West Coast, there are breweries all along the way. I've been to a couple of these. If you're into wine you could make a detour over to Russian River on the way up or back. Off the beaten path and largely a very different experience that what you'll get in Napa or even the rest of Sonoma. I recall flagging the winemaker off of a tractor to come over and pour us some wines at one spot (sorry, can't remember which!). https://russianrivervalley.org/wineries

A ton of good weed up there, I hear. But if you wander north from Mendocino, stay away from Murder Mountain.

Sorry I don't have much in the way of specific recs, I have mostly just passed through there on the way up or back to Oregon so haven't spent a ton of time between Bodega and Coos Bay, OR.

One daughter was voted best budmaster in Florida 4 years ago. She and I are vegan

Oh you're going to fit right in, then!

It's called the Lost Coast for a reason. That said, it's visually stunning. Search "hidden beaches" and pick a few to check out, they are tucked in all along that stretch of the coast.

On the way up you'll go through Bodega Bay. If you're a Hitchcock fan hit the actual town of Bodega where The Birds was filmed. Not much there, mostly the church up on the hill, but cool to check out if you know the movie and the little store in town has lots of pics and some memorabilia from the making of the movie. For your omnivore Bodega Bay itself has some good seafood, and the clam chowder at Spud Point Crab Company is supposed to be pretty good (I don't love clams, so can't speak to that).

Just like any road trip on the West Coast, there are breweries all along the way. I've been to a couple of these. If you're into wine you could make a detour over to Russian River on the way up or back. Off the beaten path and largely a very different experience that what you'll get in Napa or even the rest of Sonoma. I recall flagging the winemaker off of a tractor to come over and pour us some wines at one spot (sorry, can't remember which!). https://russianrivervalley.org/wineries

A ton of good weed up there, I hear. But if you wander north from Mendocino, stay away from Murder Mountain.

Sorry I don't have much in the way of specific recs, I have mostly just passed through there on the way up or back to Oregon so haven't spent a ton of time between Bodega and Coos Bay, OR.
Exactly what I was going to post.

I've been up and down that part of the coast dozens of times. A couple of things to remember .... if anyone is prone to car sickness, watch out. It's a slow, winding road along the coast. Beautiful, and worth it, but it can be tough for those prone to motion sickness. If you take the 1 from SF to Mendocino, it's about a four hour drive, not including any stops. Probably half that if you take the inland 101 instead, but not nearly as scenic. There are literally hundreds of places to stop along the way, from state beaches to wide spots in the road. There isn't a wrong answer on where to stop.

Speaking of this, North Coast Brewing is in Fort Bragg, about ten miles north of Mendocino. It's one of the best known and respected breweries in NorCal. There are also a couple of smaller brewpubs in Fort Bragg as well. To be honest, I'm more comfortable in Fort Bragg than Mendocino in general. It's more "real", less of a tourist trap, though there's plenty of that vibe there too. I might be in the minority when it comes to visiting, but I feel Mendocino has a pretentious feel that runs counter my own personality.

Skunk Train is cool, but maybe a little overrated. It dominates an entire day, and if you don't have a lot of those, I'd pass. I'd rather explore locally (hike, beaches, shop, whatever). And I've done both more than once. If you have a day with nothing to do, sure.

Last edited:
@Drunken knight reminded me of something. Another suggestion, visit Pacific Star Winery. It is an incredible experience. Some of the best ocean views (big waves, big boomers), while enjoying a glass of wine. The couple of times I've been there, the owner himself was doing to pouring. I can't put to words how much you should do this. It's about ten miles or so north of Fort Bragg.

Also, one other thing I just thought of ... if you've never experienced the NorCal ocean, it is NOT Florida. I don't care what time of the year it is, it will be either cool or cold, and the water will be colder. Dress accordingly.

@Drunken knight reminded me of something. Another suggestion, visit Pacific Star Winery. It is an incredible experience. Some of the best ocean views (big waves, big boomers), while enjoying a glass of wine. The couple of times I've been there, the owner himself was doing to pouring. I can't put to words how much you should do this. It's about ten miles or so north of Fort Bragg.

Also, one other thing I just thought of ... if you've never experienced the NorCal ocean, it is NOT Florida. I don't care what time of the year it is, it will be either cool or cold, and the water will be colder. Dress accordingly.
and it's thanksgiving... chances are it will be cold, windy and rainy. ocean- fuhgeddabowdit.

I don't know the coastal range much along that stretch other than some towns. but I'd guess there might be a nice redwood forest inland that isn't Muir Woods tourist mayhem. probably worth looking into.

I don't know the coastal range much along that stretch other than some towns. but I'd guess there might be a nice redwood forest inland that isn't Muir Woods tourist mayhem. probably worth looking into.

On the road that cuts inland just south of Mendocino (Hwy 128) there is nice Redwood Grove about 5-10 miles inland. Maybe 25 miles total south and east of Mendocino. It's not quite as old as some of the huge stuff, but still a lot of 8' diameter trucks. The giant stuff is further north. First good patch at about Legget - 30-40 miles north.

ETA - Mendocino actually started as a redwood logging town in the 1850's, which is probably what there aren't many trees very close.

For Thanksgiving I'm traveling to SF to visit my 2 daughters, 1 is coming up from LA. We plan to drive the PCH and spend a night in Mendocino. There are many nice looking beaches and outlooks along the way. Any recommendations? For a guy from flat Florida, everything looks great. Is the Skunk Train in Ft. Bagg worthwhile?
Fort Bragg, but yeah. I can't believe that thing is still operating. I went when I was like 8 years old... so a LONG time ago. I think it'd be fun to go to even if you don't have small children.

Our trip was great. Weather was perfect, clear blue skies, highs of 62, lows 43, no wind. That makes a difference. Friday we went up 101, then 128. In Anderson Valley, we stopped at one of the many wineries, $20 for 7 pours. It was a small family farm of 40 acres, the wines are sold word of mouth. They also recently planted lavender for bees and honey. It's a 3rd generation farm and they want to diversify.

We drove through the Navarro River Redwoods State Park, which seems like a great place to hike or camp. We slept at the #1 rated b&b in Mendocino, Joshua Griddle Inn, which lived up to its reputation, especially the homemade scones with figs and almonds. $200.

The beaches in Mendocino by the Big River are gorgeous. There was driftwood, big and small. Waves rolling in and crashing from the Pacific. We saw an apple tree growing along the trees and brush and ate a couple of apples. We drove back along highway 1, stopping at multiple beautiful beaches. California has so much accessible natural beauty. By the time we drove by Bodega, it was dark so we didn't even drive by the Hitchcock scenes. If my SF daughter goes again with her friends, she wants to stop at a creamery, plus of course another winery.

Our trip was great. Weather was perfect, clear blue skies, highs of 62, lows 43, no wind. That makes a difference. Friday we went up 101, then 128. In Anderson Valley, we stopped at one of the many wineries, $20 for 7 pours. It was a small family farm of 40 acres, the wines are sold word of mouth. They also recently planted lavender for bees and honey. It's a 3rd generation farm and they want to diversify.

We drove through the Navarro River Redwoods State Park, which seems like a great place to hike or camp. We slept at the #1 rated b&b in Mendocino, Joshua Griddle Inn, which lived up to its reputation, especially the homemade scones with figs and almonds. $200.

The beaches in Mendocino by the Big River are gorgeous. There was driftwood, big and small. Waves rolling in and crashing from the Pacific. We saw an apple tree growing along the trees and brush and ate a couple of apples. We drove back along highway 1, stopping at multiple beautiful beaches. California has so much accessible natural beauty. By the time we drove by Bodega, it was dark so we didn't even drive by the Hitchcock scenes. If my SF daughter goes again with her friends, she wants to stop at a creamery, plus of course another winery.

Awesome! Glad you guys had a good time. The Navarro Redwoods was what I was referring to above, just couldn't remember the name. It's neat driving through them from the east like you did. It gets really dark all of a sudden in full sun. Then when you pop out the other end, you're at the ocean.

Sorry for posting after your trip, but here are some recs for anyone else, or for your next trip (not in any geographic order, i.e. south to north or north to south, just random):

Fishetarian in Bodega Bay - great hole-in-the-wall seafood spot that has Pliny the Elder on tap (usually) as well as many other great beers

Dillon Beach Resort in Dillon Beach - rent a "tiny home" (look 'em up, they're great, disregard what you see on Google Earth street view, that whole block on the left-side of the street heading down to the beach is ~90% new tiny homes now) and spend time on the beach (great for dogs and bonfires)

Heritage House Resort & Spa in Little River- haven't stayed here, but they have a really good on-site restaurant, and the resort grounds are cool with a short walk to a bluff overlooking the ocean

Glass Beach (part of MacKerricher State Park in Fort Bragg) - cool little beach with LOTS of sea glass (hence the name), it is forbidden to take sea glass from within the boundaries of the state park

The Wharf Restaurant in Fort Bragg (on the banks of the Noyo River) - great seafood spot frequented by the locals

Goat Rock Beach in Jenner - it's where the Pacific Ocean and Russian River meet, be careful when you're on the ocean-side of the beach

Sea Ranch (aka The Sea Ranch) - it's a community with really cool residential architecture, lots of beaches, an interesting looking place of worship, and a golf course. There's a hotel, but we've only stayed in VRBOs/AirBnBs. Do yourself a favor and make sure your rental has a hot tub. Not a lot of eateries around there, so having a full kitchen is key. If you're in a pinch, there is Upper Crust Pizzeria about 10-15 mins north in Gualala that has $5 pints. There's also Twofish Baking inside the Stewarts Point Store in Stewarts Point about 20-30 mins south that has amazing pastries (need to get there close to opening if you want to choose something rather than getting whatever's left if you go midday), great pizzas (usually on Fridays only) and a great bar.

Howards Station Cafe in Occidental has huge, amazing breakfast dishes

As mentioned upthread, when driving on the coast up here, drive slower than you normally do, it's very windy (both in curvature of the road and wind strength) and at times may feel like you're one of those bus drivers in the mountains of India. I have to drive (rather than my wife or daughter) or else I'm yackin'. My poor dog has thrown up before when lying in the back of my Pilot, and she eats her own $hit and turds from the kitty litter box from time to time with no issues.

Anyways, beautiful country up here with lots to do, see and indulge in.

Users who are viewing this thread