What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Water Filtration Systems? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I know we had a thread on this several years ago. Anyone have new thoughts?

Our water seems fine. And I drink a lot of water from the tap through a Brita pitcher/filter.

But recently have talked to some folks about the benefit of filtration systems etc.

Anyone have thoughts there? Much thanks.

replying so I see the answers…. I’m very interested in this as we have crap hard water here. Wife and I are already discussing a soft water system and I’d love to add a filtration system too.

The water here has a pretty high calcium content. Things like rain shower fittings clog up pretty darn quickly. We bought a house with a filtration system already installed. We have no clogs in the water fixtures at all. No deposits on glassware. No nothing. The water heater doesn't seem to be developing gravel in it. I would recommend one of these systems.

I have a softener/pre-carbon filter with RO filter at my kitchen tap. Chlorine was prevalent here being close to a treatment plant and water was medium hard. My industrial system is usually installed at fast food restaurants like Culver’s. I got a really good deal and have had this system for 10 years and it’s still going strong with regular annual maintenance.

Culligan and similar companies are scammers so be warned. Culligan guy who came to our house essentially put on a water magic show and all of it was total bs. We put him on the spot over and over about the total cost and he kept telling us how much it was per month and what we would save on our pipes and whatnot. In the end, he lamented and told us it was $12k. Lol. My system was only $3500 and it’s 1000x better than one of their systems.

We have a Rain Soft system and it was life changing to be honest. I can’t believe I never had a water filtration system before this. It is a salt system and is dual process.

Even my garden hose water is filtered.

We use a ton less soap, the water tastes delicious, and is soft as can be on the skin.

It’s not cheap (it is a whole house system guaranteed for life with minimal maintenance) I negotiated the price
Down to 4K total and got 36 months zero interest financing. Yes there are cheaper systems…..but not whole house systems as good as Rain Soft. I had a good and honest salesman as well. He was low pressure.

A great investment that now I look as a no brainer. The difference is stark.

I have a softener/pre-carbon filter with RO filter at my kitchen tap. Chlorine was prevalent here being close to a treatment plant and water was medium hard. My industrial system is usually installed at fast food restaurants like Culver’s. I got a really good deal and have had this system for 10 years and it’s still going strong with regular annual maintenance.

Culligan and similar companies are scammers so be warned. Culligan guy who came to our house essentially put on a water magic show and all of it was total bs. We put him on the spot over and over about the total cost and he kept telling us how much it was per month and what we would save on our pipes and whatnot. In the end, he lamented and told us it was $12k. Lol. My system was only $3500 and it’s 1000x better than one of their systems.
That was a scammer. Like I posted we got a Rain Soft whole house system for 4K zero financing for 36 months (back in 2020).

There are independent labs you can send water to have tested. I'd do that before anything. If you have hard water - yeah, it might be worth it.

As a home brewer, water is pretty important to me. I have not sent my water in to be tested but I know a lot of folks who have and shared their results. Here in Charlotte, our water is very soft so a filter really wouldn't do much. The only thing I would want one for is to remove chlorine/chloramine, which gets bad every spring when they flush the pipes.

We've had water softeners but never a filtration system. Considering adding a whole home filtration system to our new house. We plan on installing another AO Smith Water Softener in our new home and they also offer inline water filters to work with their softeners. Bought the softener from Lowes last time and was very happy with it. But will be following this thread for more ideas.

If you have hard water (calcium), a softener system makes sense from a convenience perspective of less maintenance since calcium is more soluble in hot water. Every other water issue should be looked at individually based on tests and or desired correction. For example, if your desire is to remove chlorine just about any active carbon filter will do the trick. Brita filter, undersink filter, refrigerator filter, even whole house. But if you need to remove arsenic (don't laugh, bug issue in parts of the US) then you may need softener/ion exchange + RO. It is very regional and based upon desires and the water in the geography.

If installing whole house anything, remember you may have certain parts where the result is not desired. For instance, if you install a softener and you have a plaster pool you should bypass the softener from the pool fill line or be prepared to buy and dose the fill water with calcium chloride or risk the pool water leaching calcium from the plaster walls. Irrigation, homebrewing, etc. may also have particular needs the filters or softeners can strip out.

If you have hard water (calcium), a softener system makes sense from a convenience perspective of less maintenance since calcium is more soluble in hot water. Every other water issue should be looked at individually based on tests and or desired correction. For example, if your desire is to remove chlorine just about any active carbon filter will do the trick. Brita filter, undersink filter, refrigerator filter, even whole house. But if you need to remove arsenic (don't laugh, bug issue in parts of the US) then you may need softener/ion exchange + RO. It is very regional and based upon desires and the water in the geography.

If installing whole house anything, remember you may have certain parts where the result is not desired. For instance, if you install a softener and you have a plaster pool you should bypass the softener from the pool fill line or be prepared to buy and dose the fill water with calcium chloride or risk the pool water leaching calcium from the plaster walls. Irrigation, homebrewing, etc. may also have particular needs the filters or softeners can strip out.
note that most (many?) municipal water plants use chloramine instead of chlorine because it is more stable, but charcoal doesn't do a good job on chloramine (debatable, of course). I don't know of a good way to eliminate it besides RO.

note that most (many?) municipal water plants use chloramine instead of chlorine because it is more stable, but charcoal doesn't do a good job on chloramine (debatable, of course). I don't know of a good way to eliminate it besides RO.
Very regional but a great point. Activated or catalytic carbon will work but requires a large contact area or very low flow. RO by itself won't work but often the carbon pre-filters on well designed RO systems will be large enough.

Although, while chloramines smell like chlorine they don't necessarily taste like it to a lot of people. When many people complain of a heavy chlorine taste it is during the annual "burn out" of the municipal drinking system when the operators shock/clean the systems with large amounts of chlorine.

Personally, I use these filters at sinks in our house where regular consumption is likely. Bathrooms and kitchen. https://www.amazon.com/Waterdrop-Fi...p-B085G3GQFG/dp/B085G3GQFG/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

If installing whole house anything, remember you may have certain parts where the result is not desired. For instance, if you install a softener and you have a plaster pool you should bypass the softener from the pool fill line or be prepared to buy and dose the fill water with calcium chloride or risk the pool water leaching calcium from the plaster walls.
True dat. We just installed a swimspa. We put in a tap from the municipal water for filling it. (We use bromine, but the reason is the same.)

Users who are viewing this thread