What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Jeff Darlington reports "retired" QB Jay Cutler would be willing to play for ex-coach Adam Gase and the Dolphins.

Darlington reports Cutler would be willing to reunite with Gase — who momentarily revived Cutler's career in 2015 — if he "gets the chance to be the full-time starter (and get starter money) for the entire season." That would require a season-ending Ryan Tannehill (knee) injury. Cutler is still only 34. He could be managed and manipulated by Gase, and is probably still better than Matt Moore.

Related: Dolphins

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 3 - 7:23 PM

I would love this. Jay lost his passion in Chicago. Miami is the perfect city for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love this. Jay lost his passion in Chicago. Miami is the perfect city for him.
Jay has the emotions of a wooden plank. That said, I'm from Chicago and he definitely never got a confidence boost from the fans. We treated him like #### and I never thought that was fair. For almost his entire time there, he either had a garbage offensive line and had to run for his life or he had a garbage defense and had to throw for 3 quarters. Chicago management and coaching, ####ty as they were and still are, never was really able to make the 2 sides meet in the middle to give him a shot other than in year 1 when we made the conference finals. 

The Miami Herald reports Dolphins coach Adam Gase "personally" has reached out to "retired" QB Jay Cutler since Ryan Tannehill suffered a potentially year-ending knee injury.

In 2015 as Bears offensive coordinator, Gase managed and manipulated Cutler in the same way he did Tannehill last season. In arguably one of the best years of his career, Cutler threw 25 TDs to only 11 INTs under Gase, and Gase parlayed their success into the Dolphins' head-coaching job the next year. ESPN's Jeff Darlington reported Thursday that Cutler would indeed be willing to come out of retirement to reunite with Gase, and an "industry source" told the Miami Herald the same thing. Cutler currently has a broadcasting job with FOX.

Source:  

Miami Herald

Aug 4 - 2:43 PM

The Palm Beach Post reports retired QB Jay Cutler "appears to be a viable option" for the Dolphins.

Coach Adam Gase has reached out to Cutler, who's willing to unretire to play for Miami. The Dolphins are still waiting on a final determination on Ryan Tannehill's knee, but it sounds like there's a strong chance Cutler is going to be brought in. Cutler had one of his best years under Gase in 2015, posting the highest passer rating (92.3) of his career. He figures to start over Matt Moore if signed.

Source: Palm Beach Post 

Aug 4 - 6:11 PM

Whatever people want to say about Cutler, this is a really nice offense he's walking into if he does sign. He also saves/keeps viable all the WR's.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins have had discussions with retired QB Jay Cutler about a potential deal.

It's more confirmation the Dolphins are seriously considering signing Cutler. Per RapSheet, Cutler is Miami's "top choice" if Ryan Tannehill (knee) is ruled out for the season. Cutler reportedly told Adam Gase he's willing to come out of retirement to play for Miami. The Dolphins are waiting on more tests before make a decision on Tannehill, but they clearly view Cutler as his replacement.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Aug 4 - 7:19 PM

That's Rapaport's way of covering up that he got scooped on the story. He'll just confirm it and take credit for the one breaking it. 

The Dolphins are "close to a deal" with retired QB Jay Cutler.

The sides are working out a "small gap" in money. Cutler was reportedly leaning toward retirement, but it sounds like the Dolphins upped their offer. He'll be reunited with Adam Gase in Miami assuming the deal gets done. Cutler's signing would mean Ryan Tannehill (knee) is done for the year.

Source: Darren Heitner on Twitter 

Aug 5 - 4:49 PM

Now you tell how much of this chatter has been legitimate and how much has been bs from these guys breaking stories. All contradicting each other 

As a Dolphins fan, either Moore or Cutler won't be a downgrade from Tannehill.  With Gase at the helm each of those guys might actually be a slight upgrade.

I'm ready for the Tannehill era to come to an end.  He's a dink and dunker who holds the ball too long and can't process information quickly.....other than that he's a hell of a quarterback.

As a Dolphins fan, either Moore or Cutler won't be a downgrade from Tannehill.  With Gase at the helm each of those guys might actually be a slight upgrade.

I'm ready for the Tannehill era to come to an end.  He's a dink and dunker who holds the ball too long and can't process information quickly.....other than that he's a hell of a quarterback.
A Dolphins fan who knows his stuff and doesn't just listen to the national narrative. :thumbup:

A Dolphins fan who knows his stuff and doesn't just listen to the national narrative. :thumbup:
Every time I hear any national or mainstream analyst refer to Tannehill as even a "decent" QB I throw up in my mouth a little.  We were at our best last season when we were running the heck out of the ball and hiding him.

He's horribly average.  It's a big enough sample size at this point that anyone who understands football and watches every down of action from this team realizes his upside is severely capped.  Hopefully we overachieve this year with either Cutler or Moore just to reinforce to the front office that he just might be what's holding this offense back.

Don't believe all the crap about Jay being the worst qb ever either. He was never put in a position to succeed by the Bears.  Best all to hell.  Always pathetic coaching or no supporting cast around, except when Trestman was there and the entire team tanked shortly after his incompetent self took over.  They let Arians pass them by.  Gase was right there. Let him go, too.  Jay is a very good qb when his team and coaching isn't pathetic, which is has usually been. 

flapgreen said:
Don't believe all the crap about Jay being the worst qb ever either. He was never put in a position to succeed by the Bears.  Best all to hell.  Always pathetic coaching or no supporting cast around, except when Trestman was there and the entire team tanked shortly after his incompetent self took over.  They let Arians pass them by.  Gase was right there. Let him go, too.  Jay is a very good qb when his team and coaching isn't pathetic, which is has usually been.
FG, I agree with most of what you said but this I disagree with you. Jay was never a winner and never showed any passion or will to win. He only cared about himself and conducted himself that way which is why most Bears fans couldn't stand him. Was coaching and all that other crap horrible, yeah, but he had Alston, Marshall and Forte and still couldn't win...nor look like he gave a ####.

Yeah Cutler has a live arm but he's always been a stiff. His career stats are also arguably worse than Tannehill.

I think those hoping for an improvement over last season in Miami IMO are going to be disappointed.

Yeah Cutler has a live arm but he's always been a stiff. His career stats are also arguably worse than Tannehill.

I think those hoping for an improvement over last season in Miami IMO are going to be disappointed.
It can't be worse.  Moore likes the throw the ball downfield, so does Cutler.  Regardless of which one ends up being the starter opposing teams are going to be forced to cover both Stills and Parker deep...which should open up the intermediate stuff for Landry and Thomas.  

We have the weapons...we just need a QB who doesn't check down on every damn play and actually has the you-know-whats to stretch the field.  The only thing I can say for certain is that Tannehill starting every game this year wouldn't yield more wins than either of the alternatives.

It can't be worse.  Moore likes the throw the ball downfield, so does Cutler.  Regardless of which one ends up being the starter opposing teams are going to be forced to cover both Stills and Parker deep...which should open up the intermediate stuff for Landry and Thomas.  

We have the weapons...we just need a QB who doesn't check down on every damn play and actually has the you-know-whats to stretch the field.  The only thing I can say for certain is that Tannehill starting every game this year wouldn't yield more wins than either of the alternatives.
It's a myth that Cutler likes to throw down field. He has a very average 7.2 ypa with a career high of 7.7 ypa. Tannehill has a career 7.0 ypa with a career high of 7.7 ypa.

Cutler is, at best, a lateral move and if I were a Dolphins fan I would consider him a downgrade IRL over Tannehill.

He's old, lacks passion, is easily discouraged (and he responds by shutting down) and rarely makes good decisions on the field.

Moore looked pretty solid in his three games last season but he's really an unknown. I find him intriguing but If Gase had even a shred of confidence in him they wouldn't be over paying for the underwhelming Cutler.

Most, not all, assume that Cutler will start if signed. With Moore knowing the offense and being competent last year, is it out of the question that Cutler is brought in as depth behind Moore? I hear that Cutler wants starter pay, but does that mean he requires to be the starter or will not sign?

Most, not all, assume that Cutler will start if signed. With Moore knowing the offense and being competent last year, is it out of the question that Cutler is brought in as depth behind Moore? I hear that Cutler wants starter pay, but does that mean he requires to be the starter or will not sign?
All we know is what was reported yesterday "He wants to start and get starter money". I don't know if he actually said that (or his agent) but that is what was reported.

All we know is what was reported yesterday "He wants to start and get starter money". I don't know if he actually said that (or his agent) but that is what was reported.
So the talk about wanting to stay in the booth is bad reporting?

So the talk about wanting to stay in the booth is bad reporting?
No.  All of it, AFAIK, is unattributed speculation.  Starter money, staying in the booth, he wants to family doesn't etc.

But the bottom line for the Dolphins is Cutler is, IMO, all but a guarantee they will miss the playoffs.

Apparently Cutler has signed, and given his interest only if he had a chance to be a starter, Mr. Tannehill is likely on the shelf. The move he is not to grab cutler, but to try to trade for Tennehill on the cheap and look forward to having him on your squad in 2018. 

Apparently Cutler has signed, and given his interest only if he had a chance to be a starter, Mr. Tannehill is likely on the shelf. The move he is not to grab cutler, but to try to trade for Tennehill on the cheap and look forward to having him on your squad in 2018. 
Meh. He's a fantasy backup at best with no upside. Even if you get him for a future 5th, it's not like there's some big payoff in 2018.

Other than a bye week guy I wouldn't be interested in Cutler, however I would give slight bumps to the receiving corps, especially to Julius Thomas. I'd move him from mid TE2 to borderline TE1 production since Cutler has always been ok with throwing to his TE's i.e. Martellius Bennett.

Meh. He's a fantasy backup at best with no upside. Even if you get him for a future 5th, it's not like there's some big payoff in 2018.
I think he has upside if Ajayi were to get injured. Seems like there were plenty of folks that doubted Ajayi could handle the work load they are discussing. Like 31 NFL teams.

Those are some pretty strong weapons Cutler's surrounded by.

I think he has upside if Ajayi were to get injured. Seems like there were plenty of folks that doubted Ajayi could handle the work load they are discussing. Like 31 NFL teams.

Those are some pretty strong weapons Cutler's surrounded by.
And an offense he already knows, as well as an up and coming coach he specifically wanted to play (again) for.

Users who are viewing this thread