What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about end zone celebrations? (1 Viewer)

What best characterizes your feelings toward end zone celebrations?

• I enjoy them. They make the game fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like them. No place in the game for them.

• Who cares. I just want to watch football.

• Total voters

tombonneau

Footballguy
Was just curious as to what the consensus was among the Shark Pool as towards end zone celebrations. I was a bit shocked to see how many people were so vocally against them.

I personally enjoy them and don't think they take away much from the game.

Was just curious as to what the consensus was among the Shark Pool as towards end zone celebrations. I was a bit shocked to see how many people were so vocally against them.

I personally enjoy them and don't think they take away much from the game.
There have been some other polls, threads on this same topic - but give me Barry Sanders handing the ball to the ref any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hit a home run - don't show up the pitcher. Get back to the dugout and start thinking about playing D. Dunk on someone - don't get in their face. Gat back and play some D. Score a touchdown - don't Riverdance, putt with the pylon, wipe the baby, etc. Give the ball to the ref and go pump up your team to go play some D.If you want to be a professional dancer/entertainer - go on tour with Prince and we can pay money to see you on stage. But right now, I paid to watch you cross the goalline and run back to the sideline.

Voted Who cares, but come on, some of them are great. I especially liked the boat row by Steve Smith. Touchdown celebrations have been around at least since the 70's (Billy 'White Shoes Johnson'), but some of them are absolutely ridiculous and should not happen.

I've yet to see a planned celebration by any footballer that I thought "wow, that was really entertaining" or "that made my viewing experience much more enjoyable."

There have been plenty of planned celebrations where I have though "wow, that was really dumb" or "this guy is going to a ton of trouble just to take all of the attention away from his teammates that helped get him there."

TD celebration = "Look at me." Isn't there enough attention whoring already going on in this country? Hell, I get my fill of it alone in the FFA.

Waste of broadcast time - makes the games longer - potentially could create more overlapping games - (short, respectful ) spontaneous ones ok

TD celebration = "Look at me." Isn't there enough attention whoring already going on in this country? Hell, I get my fill of it alone in the FFA.
I agree with this completely. However, what I don't understand is why those who don't want to see the touchdown celebration, actually watch and acknowledge them. Wouldn't it make more sense to just turn away?

I think I much prefer the random, excited celebration over the inane choreographed routines. Give me the Lambeau Leap.... give me the cross bar dunk... hand the ball to a kid... that's great.... but have a tea party with the football on your own time. :hot:

I think I much prefer the random, excited celebration over the inane choreographed routines. Give me the Lambeau Leap.... give me the cross bar dunk... hand the ball to a kid... that's great.... but have a tea party with the football on your own time. :hot:
I don't want to be argumentative, but are in insinuating the Lambeau Leap, cross bar dunk, hand the ball to a kid celebrations are actually random? I think these are the most premediated celebrations in the league because they are so often repeated.

I think I much prefer the random, excited celebration over the inane choreographed routines.  Give me the Lambeau Leap.... give me the cross bar dunk... hand the ball to a kid... that's great.... but have a tea party with the football on your own time.  :hot:
I don't want to be argumentative, but are in insinuating the Lambeau Leap, cross bar dunk, hand the ball to a kid celebrations are actually random? I think these are the most premediated celebrations in the league because they are so often repeated.
I guess to me they are done more in the excitement of the moment. Yeah, they've been done a million times but I differentiate between them and say, sitting down and changing the football's oil.

I think I much prefer the random, excited celebration over the inane choreographed routines.  Give me the Lambeau Leap.... give me the cross bar dunk... hand the ball to a kid... that's great.... but have a tea party with the football on your own time.   :hot:
I guess to me they are done more in the excitement of the moment. Yeah, they've been done a million times but I differentiate between them and say, sitting down and changing the football's oil.
I don't think your reaching, I believe there is something to your position. However, defining what is premediated and what is not is difficult to define given there are no mearureables.For myself, touchdown celebrations are like American Idol; if you don't like it, don't watch it.

I'm not opposed to the celebrations, just opposed to bad celebrations.

They should be left in the hands of those who do them well.

Who didn't like Chad Johnson's x-mas sign? C'mon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what others have said here. I enjoy the simpler ones like the Lambeau leap, Mile High salute, and simple ball spike. Most of the planned ones that the likes of Chad Johnson and Steve Smith are doing just aren't that clever or anything.

My favorite one was when a player (I forget who) scored a TD, proceeded to "spike" the ball, but instead of releasing it into the ground after the full swing he just flipped it backwards. It's hard to explain. I did it once in a game with some friends and they all thought it was great.

That said, I don't mind the extravagant ones. I'm not going to let them ruin a game for me or anything. I just ignore them.

Or the proposal to the cheerleader?Chad Johnson does it for fun other players do it to disrespect their opponent.

I was almost hoping he did have a reindeer for that game with Buffalo...

For me it takes ZERO away from the game and may from time to time add a little chuckle.

I still don't understand how it makes the games longer. The longest celebrations I've seen are what maybe a minute and most about 30 seconds.

Easiest thing would be to just let anything go and have the ref wind a clock after the TD. You don't get your extra point done by then and you get a delay penalty.

After too many of those I'm sure the coaches themselves will take care of it.

It's really a non-issue that's blown up to be some sort of huge story. Rather pathetic on all accounts.

I'd much rather see a guy celebrating with his teammates than robotically handing the ball to the ref (which itself is "look at me" to some degree).

Chad Johnson's teammates love his celebrations and don't feel like they're being upstaged at all. Not sure why the old-school "act like you've been there before" crowd feels outrage on their behalf.

So, like maybe Paula Abdul should decide which celebrations are good celebrations and which ones are bad celebrations? :P

I see nothing wrong with Steve Smith's rowboat, pretend cell phone call, his sliding down the FG post... or someone giving CPR to a football.... All now illegal with the new rule... I thought they were all kind of funny... and it's not like they take long.. they are like 10 seconds each... whoopee.... this is entertainment right?

Image is everything. The NFL should have a plan for it's image and should be willing to take steps to solidify that image.

I voted yes as it was the closest to how I really feel.

I really don't see the big deal with a little celebration. It doesn't make the game more fun or better. Again, I just fail to see the problem.

I don't mind most of them. Think they are funny sometimes.

The celebrations I don't like are:

- The group ones, which there is now a rule against

- The TO star debacle. Though I wouldn't necessarily categorize that as a celebration.

- Any premeditated celebration that involves bringing in a foreign object into the playing field, ie: sharpie and cell phone.

- and last, but certainly not least: the players on d that celebrate even when they really didn't do much of anything. Running around on all fours after making a routine tackle that you are supposed to make = :rolleyes:

But even the ones I don't like aren't THAT big of a deal.

I see nothing wrong with Steve Smith's rowboat, pretend cell phone call, his sliding down the FG post... or someone giving CPR to a football.... All now illegal with the new rule... I thought they were all kind of funny... and it's not like they take long.. they are like 10 seconds each... whoopee.... this is entertainment right?
:no: By what definition would any of this be considered entertainment? It's dopey; it's bufoonery; it's pointless grandstanding. Is that really what you consider entertainment?

They should make the 15-yard penalty part of the play thus nullifying the TD, not a "dead ball foul"...

lol @ expecting logic here

:goodposting: If you are big on all that childish BS, turn off the football games and watch wrasslin w/the kids.

I'd much rather see a guy celebrating with his teammates than robotically handing the ball to the ref (which itself is "look at me" to some degree).
That's an interesting leap in logic.
Ok.As easily impressed as some of the old-school people are, it's obvious that anyone who wants to look classy would just hand the ball to the ref. Pardon me for being a little less superficial than that.

Ok.As easily impressed as some of the old-school people are, it's obvious that anyone who wants to look classy would just hand the ball to the ref. Pardon me for being a little less superficial than that.
:loco:

I am old-school and I am easily impressed. This observation still does not make the cut.

Here is what I find peculiar. If the NFL is only worried about it's image and would like to take this 'show-boating' away, they are going about this all wrong by passing new rules and punishments (penalities).

The simple solution, approach those who have the television rights and tell them, "You are not allowed to show touchdown celebrations on your broadcast." This would follow the same methodology for broadcasters not showing streakers and individuals who run on to the field. :shrug:

Think about it, instead of trying to force them to do something they don't want to to do, just take away what they want; the spotlight. All of sudden when T.O. scores, we see no touchdown celebration but we do see the flag and the enforcement of the 15-yard penalty.

I would actually find this more comical and entertaining after the game:

Reporter - "T.O., congratulations on a great game."

T.O. - "Thanks."

Reporter - "What happen in the endzone after you scored?"

T.O. - "I busted out my new celebration dance, did you see it?"

Reporter - "Um, no. Could you explain it to us?"

T.O. - "Um well I did this, then I did this and then I did this. It was really cool!"

Reporter - "We'll take your word for it T.O. But we did see the 15-yard penalty and that must have hurt your team."

I think it should be a total judgment call by the official. If the celebration is cool, no penalty. If it sucks, you're kicking off from your own goaline.

I am old-school and I am easily impressed. This observation still does not make the cut.
That's fine, it works for me. To each his own! :thumbup:

Let's see. I can choose to watch. I can choose to not watch. The refs get to influence the game even more. Hmmmmm...

If it was C.Johnson, I'd watch 'cause I think he's funny. If its someone else, I'm up getting a beer. If the refs affect the game more than the players, I'm pissed.

I guess I'm in the 'So what' category. After listening to all the #####ing about the Super Bowl and playoff refs, I don't want to see thier mug on my screen any more than I have to.

:goodposting: Seems a waste to get rid of both good and bad celebrations.

How about this: every end zone celebration gets reviewed by a panel of judges, like American Idol. The good ones get thumbs up, the bad ones get a 15 yards penalty. :P .

:goodposting:

Seems a waste to get rid of both good and bad celebrations.

How about this: every end zone celebration gets reviewed by a panel of judges, like American Idol. The good ones get thumbs up, the bad ones get a 15 yards penalty. :P .
PTI fan? ;) Seriously, I think that's a great idea too. No idea if it was originally Kornheiser's idea or not, but count me in!

Users who are viewing this thread