What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How everything would've happened if it was still a 16-game schedule (2021-2022) (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
In some of my posts, I bring up the stats that my computer puts out and some of the records and scores that would've happened but this is only if this was still a 16-game schedule.  You see, my computer doesn't recognize the 17-game schedule that the CBA camp up with before the season starts.  So, I'm going to go ahead and share what would've happened if this was still a 16-game schedule.

Standings

NFC East

1. Cowboys (11-5)

2. Eagles (8 -8)

3. Washington (7-9)

4. Giants (4-12)

NFC North

1. Packers (13-3)

2. Vikings (7-9)

3. Bears (5-11)

4. Lions (3-12-1)

NFC South

1. Buccaneers (12-4)

2. Saints (9-7)

3. Falcons (7-9)

4. Panthers (4-12)

NFC West

1. Rams (11-5)

2. Cardinals (10-6)

3. 49ers (9-7)

4. Seahawks (7-9)

Playoff Teams: Packers, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Rams, Cardinals, Saints, 49ers

AFC East

1. Bills (10-6)

2. Patriots (10-6)

3. Dolphins (8-8)

4. Jets (3-13)

AFC North

1. Bengals (10-6)

2. Steelers (8-7-1)

3. Browns (8-8)

4. Ravens (8-8)

AFC South

1. Titans (11-5)

2. Colts (9-7)

3. Texans (4-12)

3. Jaguars (3-13)

AFC West

1. Chiefs (11-5)

2. Raiders (10-6)

3. Chargers (9-7)

4. Broncos (6-10)

Playoff Teams: Titans, Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Raiders, Patriots, Colts

NFC Wild Card Playoffs

Rams 30, Cardinals 24 (OT)

Cowboys 25, Saints 21

Buccaneers 25, 49ers 23

AFC Wild Card Playoffs

Bengals 27, Raiders 22

Bills 28, Patriots 22 (OT)

Chiefs 25, Colts 24

NFC Divisional Playoffs

Buccaneers 26, Cowboys 25

Packers 28, Rams 25 (OT)

AFC Divisional Playoffs

Chiefs 25, Bills 23

Titans 24, Bengals 23

NFC Championship

Packers 26, Buccaneers 24

AFC Championship

Titans 25, Chiefs 24

Super Bowl LVI

Packers 30, Titans 24 (OT)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the Bucs lose to the Cowboys in the Divisional but somehow play the Packers in the NFC Championship?

Now project what would have happened if there were only 6 playoff teams.  

while you’re at it go back and do 14 game schedule with only 3 divisions,

I did one pre AFL-NFL merger and came up with Houston Oilers vs St. Louis Cardinals In the championship.  The Oilers won on a last second drop kick
I've had my computer since 2002, when the league expanded to 32 teams.  All it takes to figure out the 16-game standings is simple math.

This 17-game schedule is stupid.  Keep it 16 or force the union to go to 18.

A 7th playoff team is stupid.  If you want mediocre teams in your playoffs who shouldn't be there go watch the NBA.

I think you computer needs some tweaking.....

Eagles were 9-7 after 16 games  ;)
He removed the 17th game added to the schedule this year to make it a 17 game schedule. For the Eagles that was the Jets game which the Eagles won. So removing that game they would have been 8-8. Of course, if that was the case, the Eagles would have been 8-7 going into the final game, and would have tried to win to make the playoffs.

A 7th playoff team is stupid.  If you want mediocre teams in your playoffs who shouldn't be there go watch the NBA.
Agreed, who the hell wants nasty prime numbers for everything -- not being facetious, prime numbers suck in a lot of ways. 16 (games) and 12 (playoff teams) are great, clean numbers.

He removed the 17th game added to the schedule this year to make it a 17 game schedule. For the Eagles that was the Jets game which the Eagles won. So removing that game they would have been 8-8. Of course, if that was the case, the Eagles would have been 8-7 going into the final game, and would have tried to win to make the playoffs.
What?  The eageles 17th game was against Dallas

EDIT: Oh I seem what you are saying.... he removed the added game not the 18th week,

My bad

I think I'm going to keep this as an annual tradition.  I truly believe that the 17th game was designed to screw teams that deserve to be in the playoffs (Saints, Colts) and give playoff berths to teams that don't deserve it (Steelers, Eagles).

I don't mind the 7th playoff team so much as because it doesn't affect the math involved in trying to determine who should get in the playoffs.  When the CBA went to 17 games this year, it screwed the math up because of the fact that 17 is an odd number.

I think I'm going to keep this as an annual tradition.  I truly believe that the 17th game was designed to screw teams that deserve to be in the playoffs (Saints, Colts) and give playoff berths to teams that don't deserve it (Steelers, Eagles).

I don't mind the 7th playoff team so much as because it doesn't affect the math involved in trying to determine who should get in the playoffs.  When the CBA went to 17 games this year, it screwed the math up because of the fact that 17 is an odd number.
If you truly believe anyone but the Colts screwed them out of a playoff berth, you are delusional. Also, It's not as simple as taking away the 17th game and saying "see the Saints would have been in the playoffs". The Eagles played their backups in week 18 because they already had a playoff spot locked up. If they needed to win, they would have played their starters and could have beaten the Cowboys, and then would have gotten into the playoffs in a 16 game schedule.. Plus the Eagles beat the Saints pretty bad head to head, so it's hard to say the Saints are clearly the better team. In reality, both teams lost 8 games this year, so probably neither team really deserves to be in the playoffs. One had to get in just because the league has increased the number of playoff spots. 

You're doing it backwards. The 1st game of the season needs to be removed so that the season starts week two. The 1st game's results would then be included in the preseason record.

Actually, if you take away the Saints' game against the Titans, they would've been 9-7 and would've made the playoffs.  Also, if you take away the Colts' game against the Buccaneers, they would've been 9-7 as well and in the playoffs.  The last game of the regular season still would've been Chargers-Raiders with both teams 9-6 going into that game.  I'm just saying there needs to be an even number of games to do the math it takes to determine the playoff field.

You're doing it backwards. The 1st game of the season needs to be removed so that the season starts week two. The 1st game's results would then be included in the preseason record.
He didn't take out the week 18 results. He took out the result of the game that the NFL added to their scheduling formula to get a 17th game: The team from the other conference from the division you played two years ago who finished in the same place in the division as you did last season.

Then multiply wins by .75, if it is Tuesday substract 2 losses and if it is raining add 1 more loss.   All teams from cities starting with the letter L should get 1 victory and teams with animals as their mascots should get 2 ties.

Only then will the results make sense.

Actually, if you take away the Saints' game against the Titans, they would've been 9-7 and would've made the playoffs.  Also, if you take away the Colts' game against the Buccaneers, they would've been 9-7 as well and in the playoffs.  The last game of the regular season still would've been Chargers-Raiders with both teams 9-6 going into that game.  I'm just saying there needs to be an even number of games to do the math it takes to determine the playoff field.
This makes no sense to me. How does having an odd number of games mess up the math in determining playoff teams?

All you have to do is remove the 17th game from EVERYONE'S schedule and you'll get the records that I came up with in my original post.  That's how I came up with the Saints and the Colts ending up 9-7 apiece and in the playoffs.

Let me explain this even further by pointing out the games that should've been removed this year:

Week 3: Panthers 24, Texans 9

Week 3: Bills 43, Washington 21

Week 5: Bears 20, Raiders 9

Week 6: Cardinals 37, Browns 14

Week 6: Cowboys 35, Patriots 29 (OT)

Week 6: Steelers 23, Seahawks 20 (OT)

Week 9: Chiefs 13, Packers 7

Week 10: Titans 23, Saints 21

Week 10: Vikings 27, Chargers 20

Week 12: Buccaneers 38, Colts 31

Week 12: Falcons 21, Jaguars 14

Week 13: Dolphins 20, Giants 9

Week 13: Eagles 33, Jets 18

Week 14: 49ers 26, Bengals 23 (OT)

Week 14:  Broncos 38, Lions 10

Week 17: Rams 20, Ravens 19

All you have to do is remove the 17th game from EVERYONE'S schedule and you'll get the records that I came up with in my original post.  That's how I came up with the Saints and the Colts ending up 9-7 apiece and in the playoffs.

Let me explain this even further by pointing out the games that should've been removed this year:

Week 3: Panthers 24, Texans 9

Week 3:  Bills 43,

Washington

Week 5: Bears 20, Raiders 9

Week 6: Cardinals 37, Browns 14

Week 6: Cowboys 35, Patriots 29 (OT)

Week 6: Steelers 23, Seahawks 20 (OT)

Week 9: Chiefs 13, Packers 7

Week 10: Titans 23, Saints 21

Week 10: Vikings 27, Chargers 20

Week 12: Buccaneers 38, Colts 31

Week 12: Falcons 21, Jaguars 14

Week 13: Dolphins 20, Giants 9

Week 13: 

Eagles

33, Jets 18

Week 14: 49ers 26, Bengals 23 (OT)

Week 14:  Broncos 38, Lions 10

Week 17: Rams 20, Ravens 19
Are you removing all the wins/losses after these games from players that got injured during these weeks?

You really can't just take out that one game and say that's how the league would have finished.  It's not like that at all.

Are you removing all the wins/losses after these games from players that got injured during these weeks?

You really can't just take out that one game and say that's how the league would have finished.  It's not like that at all.
It will never be perfect…just an interesting exercise….

It will never be perfect…just an interesting exercise….
Please pardon me and allow me to be that guy. 

No, it wasn't. It's so flawed and the author thinks it proves something. Explaining why it doesn't work seems like it would take a whole metric ton of effort best spent elsewhere. As it stands, this is clutter. 

I'm fine with it. But call it what it is. 

Love things like this, and I appreciate the work you obviously put into this. Can you explain why your computer score predictions are so very very close for every game? I think I know why, just want to know what you think. I think I see a team ending up with 25 points 7 times during the predicted playoff games. Just curious

Love things like this, and I appreciate the work you obviously put into this. Can you explain why your computer score predictions are so very very close for every game? I think I know why, just want to know what you think. I think I see a team ending up with 25 points 7 times during the predicted playoff games. Just curious
Let's just say that it was easy for me to decipher the formula the NFL uses to determine playoff teams since 2002, when the league went to 32 teams.  Even though the schedule went to 17 games beginning this season, I still have to figure out what would happen if it was still a 16-game schedule.  So, I removed the 17th game from everyone's schedule and inserted a 2nd bye week.  As far as how the scores my computer puts out are determined, let's just say that it's top secret information!

100% agree the 17th game was stupid, however I like the 7th playoff team, if for no other reason that it really makes finishing 1st in your conference that much more valuable. 

Users who are viewing this thread