What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much better is Roy Williams? (1 Viewer)

cscmtp

Footballguy
Just curious what people think about Roy's numbers this year. He clearly has freakish talent, but like Evans, I think he's been held back by poor QB play.

What do you guys thinks about him this year?

I was wondering the same thing. He's the number 1 WR in what should be a pass-first team (in a weak defensive division) Talent plus opportunity equals success. And for those who buy into the 3rd year WR breakout theory, this has the makings of a top 5 season for Roy. For now I'd rank him somewhere around 10 to 13.

I am trying to gage how well he and fellow third year Evans will do this year. I could see both having big years.

Hey Gadzooks, would you trade Roy to get the 1.3 rookie pick in a dynasty draft? (if you had great WR depth)

I wonder if Roy can excel in Martz's offense. Roy (to me) is a little bit of a different mold than Holt/Bruce. Holt/Bruce can get down the field quicker, can run better after the catch, and have better hands.

Roy is a physical beast (taller and bigger than Holt/Bruce), but not sure if he is a "typical" WR in a Martz offense and I wonder if he can excel in that.

Thoughts?

I am trying to gage how well he and fellow third year Evans will do this year. I could see both having big years.

Hey Gadzooks, would you trade Roy to get the 1.3 rookie pick in a dynasty draft? (if you had great WR depth)
This year? No doubt about it! (Even if I didn't have great WR depth.)

I think Martz will make both Roy and Mike better.

I'm extremely interested in seeing wheter Mike can bounce back this year. I think people were way too rough on his performance last year. The guy was a rookie that sat out an entire year. Of course he was going to struggle. But the talent level is still high. He's not going to win a track meet, but they're not running track, they're playing football. It would really be interesting, as has been discussed, what kind of tight end he'd make.

You guys are overlooking the WR who will benefit most IF given the chance. Charles Rogers.

Rogers can be in the mold of a Bruce / Holt. He can get downfield.

Now getting his head in the game.....that's a different issue.

I've always thought Roy was overrated and an underachiever.

He always battled injury in college and seems to play without heart, and his pro career seems to be off to the same start.

I think he could be an absolute monster but I don't see him being leaps and bounds better than his first 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never forget watching the first game of the 2004 season. I had drafted Charles Rogers with a relatively early draft pick and was excited because the Lions vs. Bears game was on. On the first possesion they threw a pass to Rogers, he dropped it and landed akwardly on his shoulder. He goes to the locker room and I'm thinking what the heck is wrong with this guy. As I am watching the game this monster of a guy keeps making these crazy catches and I'm thinking what is Terrell Owens doing in a Lions uniform.

I think if Roy Williams stays healthy he has unlimited potential. His ceiling is probably around 1300 yards and 12-14 TDs. However he has a high bust potential and could easily end up with stats similar to his first two seasons 800 yards and 8 TDs.

Definetly one of the most intriguing players this offseason.

I'll never forget watching the first game of the 2004 season. I had drafted Charles Rogers with a relatively early draft pick and was excited because the Lions vs. Bears game was on. On the first possesion they threw a pass to Rogers, he dropped it and landed akwardly on his shoulder. He goes to the locker room and I'm thinking what the heck is wrong with this guy. As I am watching the game this monster of a guy keeps making these crazy catches and I'm thinking what is Terrell Owens doing in a Lions uniform.

I think if Roy Williams stays healthy he has unlimited potential. His ceiling is probably around 1300 yards and 12-14 TDs. However he has a high bust potential and could easily end up with stats similar to his first two seasons 800 yards and 8 TDs.

I thought the same thing. I think that given the right situation, Roy can be a TO-type player. IF, and that's a big if, he plays all 16 games this year I'd expect somewhere around 1200 yards and 13 TDs.

I thought the same thing. I think that given the right situation, Roy can be a TO-type player. IF, and that's a big if, he plays all 16 games this year I'd expect somewhere around 1200 yards and 13 TDs.
I know what you mean. I saw that game also and I was loving it (I had drafted Roy as the first rookie WR in my a newly started dynasty league; picked him even before Fitz because I was that sold on him)Even a few games later, the Lions got whooped, but Roy was dominant against the Eagles..breaking tackles, outmuscling DBs, etc. His injury history and inconsistency have really dampened my enthusiasm though. I'm not sure if he's the best fit for Martz's offense. I agree with the other post that on skills, Charles Rogers is probably the best fit, but I think there is something wrong between the ears there. I guess wait and see how Roy does...

I think Martz will make both Roy and Mike better.

I'm extremely interested in seeing wheter Mike can bounce back this year. I think people were way too rough on his performance last year. The guy was a rookie that sat out an entire year. Of course he was going to struggle. But the talent level is still high. He's not going to win a track meet, but they're not running track, they're playing football. It would really be interesting, as has been discussed, what kind of tight end he'd make.
:goodposting: I remember reading somewhere on these boards that he was disappointed with his rookie campaign and determined to turn things around this year.

I've always thought Roy was overrated and an underachiever.

He always battled injury in college and seems to play without heart, and his pro career seems to be off to the same start.

I think he could be an absolute monster but I don't see him being leaps and bounds better than his first 2 years.

For somebody that is a lions fan that is a true statement :goodposting: :goodposting:

You guys are overlooking the WR who will benefit most IF given the chance. Charles Rogers.

Insider info. says Ch. Rogers is already back onto drugs from the SuperBowl - give it time - his tests will come due

OK..... I am going to drink from the Martz Kool-Aid and put some faith in Mike & Roy. I won't expect much from C Rogers since there was talk of him having to return some of his signing $$.

Martz is an offense minded coach who specializes in utilizing the abilities of his receivers. He is often near sighted when it comes to TE & RB abilities. He plans around his receivers attributes. Bruce was a precise route runner & Holt was sharp at the breaks with good hands. Now, Roy has the physical gifts to excel and Mike has the body to achieve. How well they respond is the question....

First off, I would expect to see alot of 3 receiver sets with more of Scottie Vines than Rogers. I am not sure yet what value C Bradford brings to Detroit, but he is an upgrade over Eddie Drummond.

Pollard will be lost this year. Dan Cambpell was a nice blocking TE in Dallas & NYG. He is 6'5" 265 lb with marginal hands. I read blocking TE on any running schemes.

Roy and Mike as WR1 & WR1A like Holt & Bruce with Vines in the slot.

I can not see the high FF production until they have a better QB situation. Jon Kitna and Josh McCown will battle to run it, but I see Kitna winning 2006 and maybe 2007, but McCown has more upside in this offense. If Kitna falters or the staff wants to take a chance, I could see some real value in this offense!

I am targeting Roy now while his value is low... I can wait a year for him to develop with the offense!

OK..... I am going to drink from the Martz Kool-Aid and put some faith in Mike & Roy. I won't expect much from C Rogers since there was talk of him having to return some of his signing $$.

Martz is an offense minded coach who specializes in utilizing the abilities of his receivers. He is often near sighted when it comes to TE & RB abilities. He plans around his receivers attributes. Bruce was a precise route runner & Holt was sharp at the breaks with good hands. Now, Roy has the physical gifts to excel and Mike has the body to achieve. How well they respond is the question....

First off, I would expect to see alot of 3 receiver sets with more of Scottie Vines than Rogers. I am not sure yet what value C Bradford brings to Detroit, but he is an upgrade over Eddie Drummond.

Pollard will be lost this year. Dan Cambpell was a nice blocking TE in Dallas & NYG. He is 6'5" 265 lb with marginal hands. I read blocking TE on any running schemes.

I can not see the high FF production until they have a better QB situation. Jon Kitna and Josh McCown will battle to run it, but I see Kitna winning 2006 and maybe 2007, but McCown has more upside in this offense. If Kitna falters or the staff wants to take a chance, I could see some real value in this offense!

I am targeting Roy now while his value is low... I can wait a year for him to develop with the offense!
Do you guys see Mike Williams as having potential? I have him in my dynasty league and I am thinking of dropping him outright. He looks slow and I haven't heard anything good about him (constantly late to meetings, lazy work ethic, etc)

so would most of you guys NOT trade Roy to get the 1.3 rookie pick?
Well, I have the 1.03 in a dynasty hybrid league and I would not it trade for Roy. I would trade Roy to get the 1.03 since it would lock me a Top 3 RB under contract. RB = GOLD in our format

Roy has the potential to be a Top 5 WR. But the circumstances are not there yet. Potential is just.... unachieved actual value. :D

I see his TD'S way up this year but still struggling with yards. They just don't seem to target him enough no matter who is QB unless in Redzone. Maybe the trend will change over time with all the changes in Detroit this year. Time will tell.

I am holing onto him the one Dynasty league I own him still with hope.

Hopefully new coaches and QB will get him rolling this year!

:goodposting: the speed guy...

quite a few 'ifs' with Rogers..but if he can stay healthy , he could be a major force in detroit..

wouldn't surprise me to see Mike Williams shifted over to the TE position, either..

To answer the original question I would say about the same as last year.

1) Kitna or McNown - No better than Harrington talent wise

2) Lions have done nothing to help the OLine so QB wont have time to throw.

3) QB new to the Martz system. It has been said before that Martz likes to break down his QB's and build them back up. IE Break old habits. I dont see Either QB Detroit has being able to do this in Year 1 of the system.

4) New QB and WR combo, takes time to work out patterns and learn each other. Especially when your QB spends most of his time scrambling or flat on his back.

Roy is a WR#3 at best IMO for 2006/7

You guys should have watched some more games- actually, nevermind, you didn't miss anything. Roy has even hit 900 yards receiving yet, and we're talking about 1300? He is capable of making big plays, but he seems to have mental lapses at times, and to be going at half speed. If he was held back by poor QB play before, I don't expect the Kitna/McCown combo to turn Roy's career around. Kitna is mediocre at best and McCown needs a lot of work. The one nice thing about Roy is he has always been able to find the endzone. Martz won't turn this offense into the Rams but he should improve it...meaning Roy will have some red zone opportunities. I'd look for Roy to go for 1000 yards and 9 TD's, and that's if he can stay relatively healthy which has been a problem for him. The bottomline is he will probably be overvalued in most drafts this year.

Keep in mind, when you're predicting 1300 yards and 13 TD's, that would have made Roy the #2WR in non PPR leagues last year. I don't see that happening.

One thing you should all know about R Williams is he is a lazy/sloppy route runner and he is out of position a lot. He had the same problem in college. I love the guy and I hope Martz can help him out.

Do you guys see Mike Williams as having potential? I have him in my dynasty league and I am thinking of dropping him outright. He looks slow and I haven't heard anything good about him (constantly late to meetings, lazy work ethic, etc)
I read an article awhile back (I think I posted it in a BMW thread) where he talked about how disappointed he was in his rookie year. Remember that he didn't play for a year and had to not only make the adjustment to the NFL but also get his game back from a year off. I think he still has the potential to be a double-digit TD guy because he's such a mismatch for defenses in the redzone. I'm being conservative on him for 2006 because I don't know how Martz will use him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cris Carter type season out of him this year with 1000 yards and 10 TD's.

You guys should have watched some more games- actually, nevermind, you didn't miss anything. Roy has even hit 900 yards receiving yet, and we're talking about 1300? He is capable of making big plays, but he seems to have mental lapses at times, and to be going at half speed. If he was held back by poor QB play before, I don't expect the Kitna/McCown combo to turn Roy's career around. Kitna is mediocre at best and McCown needs a lot of work. The one nice thing about Roy is he has always been able to find the endzone. Martz won't turn this offense into the Rams but he should improve it...meaning Roy will have some red zone opportunities. I'd look for Roy to go for 1000 yards and 9 TD's, and that's if he can stay relatively healthy which has been a problem for him. The bottomline is he will probably be overvalued in most drafts this year.

Keep in mind, when you're predicting 1300 yards and 13 TD's, that would have made Roy the #2WR in non PPR leagues last year. I don't see that happening.
I think you misundertood what I was saying. I am not projecting Roy to get 1300 yards and 13 TDs. I am saying that is his ceiling, i.e. if he stays healthy and if Martz is able to create a better offense than the past few seasons, then he could put up those numbers. I also pointed out that he has a high bust potential and could end up with 800 yards and 8 TDs. I currently project him to be somewhere in between at about 1000 yards and 11 TDs. I hardly think that is unrealistic.

well i just traded Roy Williams for the 1.3 rookie pick. I hope to strike rookie RB gold! :)

New Team-

Delhomme/Collins/Campbell

Portis/McAllister/Chris Brown/Henry/Betts/Houston

TO/Steve Smith/S.Moss/Evans/Moulds/Stokely

Witten/Cooley

Rookie picks 1.3, 1.8, 1.11 :boxing: :bye: :thumbup:

To answer the original question I would say about the same as last year.

1) Kitna or McNown - No better than Harrington talent wise

3) QB new to the Martz system. It has been said before that Martz likes to break down his QB's and build them back up. IE Break old habits. I dont see Either QB Detroit has being able to do this in Year 1 of the system.

4) New QB and WR combo, takes time to work out patterns and learn each other. Especially when your QB spends most of his time scrambling or flat on his back.

1) Kitna or McNown are no better than Harrington? Really? I disagree. Both guys were on the FA market for a very short time. Let's see if HArrington spends so little time without a job when they cut him.2) The QB in Martz system needs to make quick drops and accurate throws. The line has to hold for 3 steps instead of the usual 5 or 7. Thus the line improves by the Offensive philosophy without changing personnel.

3) There isn't much to break down with McNown. I;m not saying he's a HOFer. I'm saying he hasn't been in the league all that long to have many bady habits. He does have some experience throwing to really big, talented WR's who can stretch the field. Martz won't have to take him far to make him a stud.

4) In terms of the NFL this point is very accurate, but in terms of fantasy it's a little flawed when you consider how much more Martz calls passing plays. There will be more dropped ball, but there will be more passes which will compensate in the stat column and thus wins and loses in FFB but not necessarily wins and loses in the NFL.

I see both Roy and Mike Williams being better in 2006 than they were in 2005..

Mike Martz knows his way around a new offense the way Otis knows his way around trashy girls.

I wonder if Roy can excel in Martz's offense. Roy (to me) is a little bit of a different mold than Holt/Bruce. Holt/Bruce can get down the field quicker, can run better after the catch, and have better hands.

Roy is a physical beast (taller and bigger than Holt/Bruce), but not sure if he is a "typical" WR in a Martz offense and I wonder if he can excel in that.

Thoughts?
No offense, but I think you are way off base here in analyzing Roy's abilities. Roy is plenty fast and ran something like a 4.38 in the 40 when testing for the NFL. He also has great hands and running after the catch was a specialty of his in college. So I think he fits the Holt/Bruce mold just fine. The problem with Roy is that he's a bit lazy and spoiled and he's injury prone. He lacks the drive to be the best that the great ones have. Plus he doesn't like to get hit. He gets by more on talent than heart. Put Steve Smith's heart in Roy's body and you'd have an unbelievable beast of a WR.

That being said, I think 1,100 and 9 TD this year is a good projection for him and he will probably be in the top 8-15 WR's.

Would anyone trade Deshaun Foster for Roy Williams?? My other rb's are Westbrook, Jones/Benson, Droughns, F. Taylor. Other wr's Driver and Bennett (I need WR help).

Foster is essentially my #4 RB while Williams will step in and be #1/2.

I wish people would stop with this.....lets see their draft before saying they've done "nothing." furthermore, i've yet to here anyone who complains about the oline offer any suggestion for who exactly they should have signed by now. They added Rex Tucker, who could prove to be a solid contributer, and yesterday added Barry Stokes for depth. More importantly, they replaced the biggest hindrence to the line last year: the coaches. Simply streamlining the playbook and schemes with better coaching could be enough to turn it around. If healthy, Roy could be a top 10 receiver....he will be no worse than a very good 2. The man is a friggin beast.

I'm not sold on Roy's upside here - he was basically Joey's #1,2 and 3 read and who knows how long it takes him to establish that kind of rapport with the new guys. I'm too lazy to use the Data Dominator but I seem to recall with Garcia under center last year he was basically worthless.

I love the guy's size & speed but based on what I'm reading here it doesn't look like he'll make any of my teams this coming year

It will be interesting to see if Martz is truly a genius. oh yeah - it is McCown - not the originally highly touted, playboy model dating flop that was drafted by Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread