What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How often to follow up - boat repair (1 Viewer)

MTskibum

Footballguy
I keep my boat at a marina and asked them in late February if they could look into an issue where the port motor is overheating when under heavy load. Probably just some basic maintenance, thermostat, water pump, etc.

They said they would get a quote back to me in a week. So far I have followed up twice via email, the first time i got a response back and the second time they ignore my email.

In the past they have forgotten about work i have requested, 2 years ago in December I asked for them to change out some hatches and when I followed up two months later they forgotten completely about the request. So i feel like i need to follow up somewhat.

I do not want to get them upset at me or for them to think that I am an annoying customer for bugging them too much.

Just keep following up every other week? Any other options?

Every day. 
This.

Speaking from experience, I’ve been through multiple boat mechanics/marinas - some of which I’d grown into personal friendships with. Still, you really gotta follow up with these guys or other work will constantly be made a higher priority.

especially this time of year, these guys are slammed with work. If you’re not there asking for updates, they will assume they can “get to it when they get to it”

Order of effectiveness:

face to face with interpersonal interaction

face to face business 

phone call

handwritten letter

typed letter

email

smoke signals

if you can get there in person easily, do so. Learn someone name, something about her or him. Alternatively call, make a connection besides your boat. Learn the name, repeat the name, make a connection. If you do the above you’ll be fine 

Order of effectiveness:

face to face with interpersonal interaction

face to face business 

phone call

handwritten letter

typed letter

email

smoke signals

if you can get there in person easily, do so. Learn someone name, something about her or him. Alternatively call, make a connection besides your boat. Learn the name, repeat the name, make a connection. If you do the above you’ll be fine 
I have a 15 year old offshore boat with 2000 hours on the boat and 1000 hours on the engines.

I am on a first name basis with the mechanic, Hector.

Getting down there to follow up would be great, and maybe I will have to do that next weekend.

Best thing I ever did was sell my boat.
Selling my current boat will be a great day for me too, 3 years I think. That means I get an upgrade.

My next boat I will hold out for an early 2000's 31 fountain, 28 McKee freedom, 28 worldcat, or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Selling my current boat will be a great day for me too, 3 years I think. I will hold out for an early 2000's 31 fountain, a 28 McKee freedom, or something similar.
I never replaced mine.  I now live by the motto better to have a friend with a boat than have a boat.

I never replaced mine.  I now live by the motto better to have a friend with a boat than have a boat.
I get 5 weeks vacation and a little flex time. I like to fish in the middle of the week and not be at the mercy of anyone else. 

I also like to determine where and what I fish for. Do we run out 50+ miles offshore for aj, blackfin tuna, mahi or we we stay in close for Kings and cobia. I also like researching fishing spots and being the controlling factor in putting the boat on fish.

Big difference in time commitment between different fishing options down here.

Having a friend that owns a boat would be great, but I like the freedom that having a boat provides. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 5 weeks vacation and a little flex time. I like to fish in the middle of the week and not be at the mercy of anyone else. 

I also like to determine where and what I fish for. Do we run out 50 miles offshore for aj, blackfin tuna, mahi or we we stay in close for Kings and cobia. 

Big difference in time commitment between the two. 

Having a friend that owns a boat would be great, but I like the freedom that having a boat provides. 
Nice.  You are a little more serious than I am.  I usually charter 5 or 6 times a year.  My wife started having some health issues a few years back so she really couldn't go out with me as much so it just made sense to sell it.  Plus it had really turned into a money pit.  I was mostly an inshore guy when fishing.  Fished mostly for Reds, Seatrout, and Snook.

Users who are viewing this thread