What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How old is your league? (1 Viewer)

My oldest league is my work league, going on 27 years. Maybe even more crazy: 10 of the owners have been in the league the entire time AND we all still work at the same company. Lifers.

One of the first ones I played in was 2007.

One of the first ones I was commish in, I ran with my best friend. Sadly he's been gone for 6-7 years.
We named the league in his honor, I miss him to this day. We started that league in 2011.

1992, so 31 years this year.

We stared with 8 teams, went to 10 teams in 1994 and 12 in 1996.

I used to take the train to work, so I'd do the scores on my way into work on Mondays.

I would fax (!!!) out the weekly updates when I got into the office. That seemed like 'cutting edge' at the time.

What amuses me most about those days is all the recruiting I used to do in the early 1990's for guys to play in my league; at weddings, cookouts, reunions, any social occasion really, and the responses I used to get re; fantasy; "That's queer, that's stupid, f*** that" etc.

I'd then see those same guys, 5-10 years later, usually at another wedding, they'd have 4 teams and be total fantasy maniacs and they'd come at me like I invented the airplane or something.

"OMG, years ago you tried to get me to play, but I didn't get it, OMG, you are the coolest guy, you are the man!" etc.

1990 both leagues. one keeper one scratch draft.
used to get fantasy index as a paper back then before it became a mag. had to check monday newspapers for stats , team scoring wasn't finalized till tuesday night, early wed.
waivers had to be made on thursday between 8-830p - by phone. by order of w-l record worst to first. after 8.30p it was a free for all.
so you'd make a move at 8.14...and at 8:28, you'd start calling the commish and hang up, and do it again, and hang up. just to freeze his line so no more calls came through then at 8.30 make your next move. everyone was doing it subterfuge at its finest, it was comical.
no cell phones at that time, had to be near a landline.
and drafts were done in person not on an app from your home. I miss those days the most. we'd rent a VFW hall , or Firehouse to have the draft. lots of fun.

I thought it was the coolest thing to get the fantasy index preseason updates, once a week, during camp they were total insider info compared to what others had.

1981. We drafted off last year's stats & didn't know crap until paper came out Monday morning. We met every Monday night at the local Elks club. When we started it was 3 pts for QB TD pass, kicker got he he got, & everyone else on your team only scored if they got a touchdown. I had a RB named Riddick one year who scored 17 TDs. Also had Kinnebrew for Cincci. no pts for yardage at all for any position.
good times indeed.

Fantasy Inex was the first mag to come out on fantasy football. us fanatics devoured it. Yes, unless Monday night halftime drop/adds it was by landline.

Users who are viewing this thread