What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How old is your league? (1 Viewer)

Chardo1

Footballguy
Today we had our 40th annual draft. Including a special video congrats from John Riggins, the very first pick in our league. That was 1984. We still have 5 original owners, and 4 third generation grandkids. Our 10th draft featured a CBS camera crew filming a pregame show segment on this growing thing called fantasy football. We were pioneers of the game. Now it's bigger than the NFL itself.

Damn, 40? I feel like an old man because in 1992, with my first ever fantasy football selection i took Dan Marino. 40? So hard to keep a league that long. My longest league we held was 18 years. Great numbers of longevity here guys.

Over 30 years. Like our annual 24 guy golf outings - somebody had to literally die to free up a spot. We have run 2 guys. One was just not paying attention and wasn’t fielding full lineups. The other guy was an ***. But core group largely unchanged and if you’re a 15 year guy you’re still a rookie. Always live drafts. Many years in Vegas. Now we golf locally the morning of opening day Thursday, have the draft at 1pm then watch the opener. We usually travel to at least one NFL game a year.

Today we had our 40th annual draft. Including a special video congrats from John Riggins, the very first pick in our league. That was 1984. We still have 5 original owners, and 4 third generation grandkids. Our 10th draft featured a CBS camera crew filming a pregame show segment on this growing thing called fantasy football. We were pioneers of the game. Now it's bigger than the NFL itself.
I mean this with all that it means. Wow.

We're entering our 26th season. Started in 1998. All friends, haven't lost anyone yet, although it was touch and go with heart surgery for one member 3 years ago. Now his son co-owns the franchise.

I'm the league historian, and I have the weekly and yearly write ups all stored on my PC. Great memories.

The past two years have seen two different guys win it for the first time. Exciting. Only one owner left now without a ship.

This is the 34th year for my main redraft league. It was founded by some guys when they were in high school. I joined in year 12.

My auction league was founded in 2007 -- currently 10 teams, I am one of 6 original owners left. This is our 16th year, as we skipped 2020.

Year 34. I joined my co-GM, a friend since middle school, in year 3. As the league grew some sons and other family members formed new teams.

Best team. Last year with Ekeler, Jacobs, Jamaal Williams, Geno to the rescue of Russell, and C Watson pickup. And 1995 with B Sanders, Irvin, Perriman, QBs Mitchell & Blake, K Hanson. Thanksgiving 1995 was a glorious day.

28th draft this past Saturday

We had to use the Chicago Trib for our official scoring
We had our 28th draft this past Saturday.

We had to use the USA Today for our official scoring for those who were out of state and couldn't get a copy of our local paper.

19th Year, for next year's 20th we are thinking of doing special like a destination draft. Somewhere like Vegas. Any suggestions for such a thing? Does anyone else make their fantasy into an event?

Started mine in 1994 and it is still going strong. Back in the first few years, I would key in all the stats by hand from the newspaper, print reports, and bring them into work. That then evolved into a program where I would download a stats file and create my own webpages, and obviously now, I use a site that does it for me. I remember where I was on 911 - Creating webpages for my league early Tuesday morning.

27th draft this Saturday. Long enough that I look at a list of our owners and I'm not 100% sure which ones were there from the beginning.

I think it's 7 of 12

I always forget how many years my main league but I have a surefire way to look it up.... While researching for my first draft one of the things I read in the magazine was that all things being equal take the guy who hasnt been injured. So I strolled up to the draft board and made my very first pick: Jerry Rice. The man whose in whose hall of fame carreer only missed 2 games in 12 years in the league, got injured and only played 2 games that year. The year the rock quarry (which had only 6 members) started was in 1997.

Started mine in 1994 and it is still going strong. Back in the first few years, I would key in all the stats by hand from the newspaper, print reports, and bring them into work. That then evolved into a program where I would download a stats file and create my own webpages, and obviously now, I use a site that does it for me. I remember where I was on 911 - Creating webpages for my league early Tuesday morning.
We would phone in our lineups to the commissioner (he still is) by Saturday night. We watched the games on CBS and NBC (Fox did not exist) and waited anxiously for LET'S GO BACK TO NY FOR A GAME BREAK (ticker did not exist). Commissioner would calculate manually from the newspaper, then send a newsletter with the results and standings. Snail mail (internet did not exist).

We would phone in our lineups to the commissioner (he still is) by Saturday night. We watched the games on CBS and NBC (Fox did not exist) and waited anxiously for LET'S GO BACK TO NY FOR A GAME BREAK (ticker did not exist). Commissioner would calculate manually from the newspaper, then send a newsletter with the results and standings. Snail mail (internet did not exist).
I miss old school broadcasts. The ticker has really diminished my ability to enjoy watching a game.

22 years of live drafting yesterday. 3 original members and 4 more that were in by year 3.

Always fun to get together. For about half the league, it's the only time I see them anymore so FF keeping us from totally losing touch.

You got us beat by 1 year. We started in 1985. It was an off shoot of a league that my dad and my buddies dad were in beginning in 1982. They took the basics from that league and started our league. We still have six original owners and have fluctuated from 12 to 14 teams over the years. We are also a SF league before anybody knew what SF was. The oddity is that the SF spot can only be a QB or a K. Yes a K and it's not unreasonable to play two kickers instead of 2 QB's based on the scoring system.

I also started an IDP/Salary cap league in 2005 that is still going strong and a father-son league about 8 years ago because my son wanted to be in a league. That is still going as well.

I may be mis-remembering, but when Fox came along and started broadcasting NFL games they were the first to leave the score in the corner of screen. The other networks would only show the score periodically. Some thought that would hurt their ratings because you didn't have to sit there waiting for a score update if you were channel surfing.

Just a weird tidbit that popped into my mind. The evolution of how we watch the NFL.

1997 - fresh out of college..... miss the days of doing the news paper scores and calling in a lineup.... plus the :sehorn:

Joined my first league in 1997, got randomly assigned the #1 overall pick and took Brett Favre. Won the league in spite of having no idea what I was doing.

Next week is my 26th draft, and it had been running for several years before I joined.

1997 - fresh out of college..... miss the days of doing the news paper scores and calling in a lineup.... plus the :sehorn:
We had to provide the commish with 16 self addressed stamped envelopes at the draft if we wanted to get the weekly scores mailed to us.

I believe this is our 23rd year.

A dynasty league, and the only league I've ever been in. My dad and I joined as co-owners of an orphaned team, ~2010. Then in 2014, I took over a different team. The two of us each have 1 championship. My championship was basically inherited because it was my first year taking over the new team, drafted turds, and made no moves. But hey, I'm the one who had to set that lineup every week with Julio, Dez, Jordy, Marshawn. Clicking those buttons was the real heavy lifting 💪

Anyway ... 23 years is the answer to your question.

Joined my first league in 1997, got randomly assigned the #1 overall pick and took Brett Favre. Won the league in spite of having no idea what I was doing.

Next week is my 26th draft, and it had been running for several years before I joined.
Talk about not knowing what we're doing, that first year we had only 6 teams. Team #6 figured that kickers score the most points, so he should draft a kicker. I kid you not, Ali Haji-Sheik was a first round pick.

Next pick was Joe Montana.

End of the second round, he figured I need a RB. He took Mike Guman. We never heard of him either.

Next pick was Marcus Allen.

I started the first league I ever played in in 2009, so 14 years ago. Still have 7 of the original 12 owners - we all started as coworkers with the rule that if you left the company, you left the league. We could all meet easily for live draft and daily trash talking which is half the reason we started the league so we wanted all wanted to keep the local league feel. Then in 2015 six of the original owners all decided to leave the company (myself included as the commish), so we decided to abandon that rule and keep the league going as opposed to starting a new league and having to recruit six new players. Haven't done a live draft since, and I miss the absolute hell out of those. Always jealous (but love hearing them anyway) of the stories of groups getting together for draft events/parties/etc.

My dynasty league is heading into year 18. I was on a nice run for a while but age and bad trades caught up with me.

In the first 17 years I made the championship game 9 times with a 7-2 record.

I joined my first league 18 years ago. Commissioner started it 29 years ago. It’s a bit different than most. We have a live draft, then every four weeks we have a live meeting. It’s the only time that you can do drop adds, or trades. Commissioner keeps it that way so that everyone has to get together once a month and have a couple beers.

We're at either 33 or 34, couldn't exactly remember. Two franchises are now run by children of the original owners.

Users who are viewing this thread