What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How old would your kid have to be to be left home alone (1 Viewer)

I started babysitting when I was 11. Our next door neighbors had 3 kids and I would watch them for about 5-6 hours one weekend night every week so they could go out. Dude paid well. We are talking 30.00 in 1974 dollars. Combined with my lawn mowing business I would make about 60 a week. Making it rain at 7/11.
"Super Slurpees for me and my friends...and why don't you pour one for yourself, my good man."

About 15 years ago my wife had an extended stay at the Cleveland Clinic (open heart surgery). I would stay pretty late before heading back to my parents place out in the burbs. The hospital is pretty much surrounded by low income neighborhoods and government provided housing. I would drive through those neighborhoods at 10:30-11pm and I was shocked how many little kids (5-8 years old) that were runnning around with what appeared to be no supervision of any kind. I always wondered where their parents were.
Best hospital in the world in one of the worst neighborhoods in the US. I get there a lot for work and am alway nervous stopping at red lights. Can run them because they have cameras all over the area too. 

I forgot the other way I made money. We would dumpster dive for returnable bottles. Make an easy 10 bucks.

Sounds like she has a sketchy present and future as well.
Ya its not a good situation. And right now her living situation is dependent on having a tear down house to live in at low rent. Not sustainable. 

The girls were in foster care up to about age 5. The world is hard. 

my son is 7. i have only recently left him alone while i walk the dog around the block or a quick trip to the grocery for 10 minutes (store is 2 blocks away). i tried it before with him, in autumn, but it didn't go well. i took the dog around the block while he played on his Wii console. i was rounding the final corner and could hear some kid sobbing. i was like "poor kid, i feel sorry for *his* parents..." and as i got closer i recognized that crying was my kid's! i see him sitting on the steps of our building, no coat or shoes on while he is bawling. i rush over to him and think he's hurt himself somehow.

me: are you okay?! what happened!!

him: [sobbing] the Wii wouldn't work! it wouldn't let me play Mario Kart!!! 

me: [pausing] that's it? you left your room, opened the door, down a flight of stairs - no coat or shoes even in 30 degree weather - to sit on the steps ALONE to cry about the ####### Wii...

him: [sobbing] i didn't know when you would get back...

me: [irritated tone now] i was walking the damn dog! how long did you think i would be gone? 

him: [suddenly aware] hours? you left me alone

me: TO WALK THE DOG!!

him: don't be mad, daddy...

Users who are viewing this thread