What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HUGE props to Yudkin! (1 Viewer)

It's sad when people don't take the time to know what thry're talking about. Now you feel compelled to respond to bad info.

C'mon folks, know what your talking about before you throw people under the bus. :wall:
FM that was totally uncalled for and frankly that condescending manner is beneath you. DY is a big boy I don't think he needs a "protector" here.Have a bit tougher skin - I'm not throwing anyone under a bus. But I am trying to clear up one matter - this aint "bad info" bro.

Many people suggested taking BOTH Priest and LJ was a good idea.

Yudkins out-of-the-box original thinking - that I think no one else suggested - was that starting both was a very viable strategy. I like that idea a lot. In fact, someone in my league who owned both actually started both for several weeks. And he hurt because of it.

That strategy was wrong (at least for the 7 weeks it lasted).

** So please know what you are talking about before throwing others under the bus...

Quote David Yudkins:

"However, Johnson's preseason performance has prompted some to think that Holmes will not get as big a workload as in previous seasons.

To summarize the outcomes in the different ratios . . .

70% Holmes/30% LJ = Holmes still likely the #1 RB and LJ a borderline RB2

60% Holmes/40% LJ = Holmes likely Top 3 RB and LC a borderline RB1

50% Holmes/50% LJ = Both RB likely Top 10 RB

That's what I came up with looking at this about 87 ways. Johnson could very well be a decent RB2 or RB3 EVEN IF HOLMES DOESN'T GET HURT, so that's what you are paying for with your pick. Of course, should Holmes ever get hurt and miss time, LJ would be a total BEAST. "

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...opic=181249&hl=

** AND MORE

Family Matters Quote (after Game 1):

"This also means Yudkin was right in his LJ analysis. Using him as a RB2 is not a bad deal it would seem. Kudos to Yudkin for his vision in seeing what was to come. "

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ic=181760&st=35

Basically preaching the start both combo. Again, until Priest got injured it was a BAD play.

---

Apology not necesarry - just don't be so holier-than-thou next time...
After reading throught the BS-I still do not see where David said to draft LJ and start him as your RB2. Because he didn't say to do that. What he did say was that if they are going to split the carries in the manner that paticular discussion surrounded, then LJ would be a viable RB2. Here's the real point he was making which you have chosen to ignore:
The intent of taking LJ is to lock up that level of production (close to 25 ppg) each week while the second best RB averages 18 ppg.
So I do think you threw him under the bus. I could not find the original thread where he did his original analysis on this but I am sure he did not say to draft LJ as your RB2.

I was sitting in the dreaded 3 slot (OK, maybe not that dreaded). Knew that LT was going one, and after the #2 owner came to his senses and declared he was drafting SA instead of Peyton, I was torn between Priest/LJ and Edge. After reading Yudkin's post and analyzing the Priest/LJ combo, I took Priest #3 and LJ in the 5th round. Don't get me wrong, made a lot of other good picks, but without a doubt LJ just carried my squad in the playoffs.

There was a lot of debate back and forth on the benefits/pitfalls of taking the combo, even it meant a 5th round pick (12 team redraft) for LJ. Believers took a lot of abuse the first 5-6 weeks, but many of us are holding the trophy now. Yudkin's analysis was spot on - muchas gracias David! :D
I picked up LJ in the 6th round and lost in my leagues playoffs.THANKS A LOT YUDKIN! :rant:

I could not find the original thread where he did his original analysis on this but I am sure he did not say to draft LJ as your RB2.
It's all water under the bridge at this point (and for me several thousand posts later), but as I recall, I believe I mentioned in one particular thread that for some teams LJ may be an option at RB2.Again, most of my posts on this were tempered with how certain scenarios might play out and were situationally based.To that end, I do recall a thread where I said that a hypothetical team that took:HolmesWRWRLJWRQBRBas an example might be inclined to start Holmes and LJ with essentially 3 Top 10 WR and could possibly not lose out at RB and have a loaded team.Many people were quick to poo poo this nothion, indicating that they had someone like Barber . . . or Rudi . . . or Dom Davis . . . or whomever as a RB2 and they would never play Johnson over one of those guys.And I pretty much agreed that if your particular team had better oprions by all means play them, but not all teams had great other options or played a flex spot and LJ would be a consideration.There were so many threads and so many posts about these guys (of which I posted in most of them) that it is easy to see how someone that saw a snipet from one of them might interpret me all this as saying LJ should be a weekly starter.And I do know that given a certain breakdown of the carries I suggested that people should play both Johnson and Holmes. I never really flat out said start both of them, bar none. Again, everything is relative. Some people did not have a ton of RB options, had guys with bye weeks, had Deuce McAllister, etc. So to them starting an LJ (even if they didn't have Holmes) might be a viable option.As for Family Matters, he and I are leaguemates so he's just watching my back. As for how effective the Holmes/LJ strategy played out, I'm sure different people will have different feedback. However, I think if you did have those two you had a solid nucleus to start from. How your other 16-18 players fared will be tantamount to how your team did this year. If you rounded out your team with Javon Walker, Terrell Owens, Marc Bulger, etc. even the KC backfield wouldn't have helped you.Even good strategies or having some great players doesn't help. I had a team with Shaun Alexander that started 7-2 but then got swamped with guys that went on IR and that was the only league where I missed the playoffs. So far I am the only team that had Alexander (to my knowledge) that missed the playoffs. So should I have taken someone other than Alexander? Clearly not. Maybe a better strategy is to draft players that won't go on IR . . .

I, too, don't recall that DY said to draft Holmes/LJ and always start them both. I do recall that he said locking up the KC running game with its projected 2000+/25 (I don't remembar the exact numbers & am too lazy to look them up) was a credible option.

I was sitting in the 3 slot and not at all excited about the thought of Holmes at 1.03, especially given his injury history and Vermeil's assertion that LJ would get about a third of the touches. Yudkin's proposal made a lot of sense to me. I also decided to start both in our TD-heavy league. There was no way of knowing if/when Holmes would go for 110/0 and LJ would put up 40/2 (or vice versa). By keeping both in the lineup I was guaranteed whatever KC could generate.

This year Holmes/LJ rushed for 2200/26. The only combinations that improved on that - with our scoring - involved LT2 & SA, neither of whom were available at 1.03. Any owner that matched Holmes/LJ had to spend a 1 & a 3, where I spent a 1 & a 5. I was no worse off at RB that the rest of the league, significantly better than most, & had a stronger WR core (except for Andre Johnson :X at 4.03 :bag: ).

I have not factored in the meager production I received from my mess of RB4 types (Ronnie Brown, Dunn) that I platooned when Holmes went down; the advantage is a bit greater that what's shown here.

Another item I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the early-season injury to Willie Roaf. That was a big reason behind KC's offensive struggles in the first part of the year. The Chiefs had to keep Gonzo in to help block; teams stacked the line and dared Green/Parker/Kennison to beat them. Roaf's return allowed Gonzalez to be used more as a receiver, freeing up the LOS for the running game.

This also coincided with Holmes' injury, so we'll never know if the Priest/LJ combination would have been as effective as LJ alone. But given the unique circumstances in the KC backfield and our league structure/size/scoring, it was a great play - thanks, David!

Users who are viewing this thread