What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I can throw a Ritz cracker 150 yds. (1 Viewer)

Has anybody tried flinging a ritz cracker yet?  I'm intrigued and will pick up a box in a few minutes on my way back from stalking this girl I've been digging for about a week. 

I'll try it in a school field that I hit golfballs in and will report back.
I threw about half the box in to a slight wind, trying all different methods, sidearm, frisbee, etc. On my best throws the cracker would sail horizontally for about 20 yards then turn vertical and go straight down. I threw the rest of the box with the slight wind at my back. This time the cracker was able to maintain horizontal for longer distances and it climbed well at times, even when I wasn't particularlly trying to get any lift. My best throw with the wind at my back was probably about 40 yards and still going strong/climbing before hitting a gust, turning vertical, and dropping straight down.

I definetly wouldn't be surprised to see a cracker thrown 100-150 yards, but I think it would have to be under favorable conditions and would take a few boxes worth of practice (or a lucky throw). It was amazing the way some of those crackers seemed like they would sail forever before turning vertical, I'll probably be trying this again some time. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please explain to me how these travel. Do they have "lift" to them? Do you throw them parallel to the ground, or at an upward angle?
The thrust is greater than the gravity and the drag.I throw them side arm, parallel to the ground.

Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend to try this. I work for a large financial institution and due to the London attacks security has been beefed up. I'm thinking a bunch of people flinging crackers might arouse suspicions.

Just returned from tossing a whole box of Ritz. I have to say, if you can get a technique where you prevent the cracker from turning over to vertical, I think 150 yards is possible.It was fairly windy and I don't think that helped. I guess I averaged about 60 yards or so. But if the cracker were to stay horizontal to the ground, it would go a long way.Thank you for providing a sense of purpose to my day.

Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend to try this. I work for a large financial institution and due to the London attacks security has been beefed up. I'm thinking a bunch of people flinging crackers might arouse suspicions.
They might elevate the threat level after seeing something like that.

Just returned from tossing a whole box of Ritz. I have to say, if you can get a technique where you prevent the cracker from turning over to vertical, I think 150 yards is possible.

It was fairly windy and I don't think that helped. I guess I averaged about 60 yards or so. But if the cracker were to stay horizontal to the ground, it would go a long way.
You think it could actually travel 1.5 football fields? :no:

I'll admit I've never measured, 150 yds is an estimate, but it would be close. 100 yds. would be a slam dunk - I'd bet my house. Try it.

LMAO at the thought of FBGs everywhere slinging Hi-Ho's this weekend
In one sentence you just took 1/3 off the distance. Consider me skeptical now.

Has anybody tried flinging a ritz cracker yet?  I'm intrigued and will pick up a box in a few minutes on my way back from stalking this girl I've been digging for about a week. 

I just tried it. It flew about 100 hundred feet, then a grackle grabbed it and took it about another 500 or so. :hot:
African or European grackle?

I'll admit I've never measured, 150 yds is an estimate, but it would be close.  100 yds. would be a slam dunk - I'd bet my house. Try it.

I'd bet my house on 100, $20 on 150.

I really don't think that the Ritz has the mass required to make it 150 yards. It will be blown about too much in even the slightest breeze, regardless of spin.The angular momentum of the cracker won't prevent it from turning over.

I really don't think that the Ritz has the mass required to make it 150 yards.  It will be blown about too much in even the slightest breeze, regardless of spin.

The angular momentum of the cracker won't prevent it from turning over.
You are forgetting that the five or six holes in the Ritz is what may be giving it its stability and lift in flight.

Just returned from tossing a whole box of Ritz. I have to say, if you can get a technique where you prevent the cracker from turning over to vertical, I think 150 yards is possible.

It was fairly windy and I don't think that helped. I guess I averaged about 60 yards or so. But if the cracker were to stay horizontal to the ground, it would go a long way.

Thank you for providing a sense of purpose to my day.
I don't think you realize how far 450' is...........

I definetly wouldn't be surprised to see a cracker thrown 100-150 yards, but I think it would have to be under favorable conditions and would take a few boxes worth of practice (or a lucky throw). It was amazing the way some of those crackers seemed like they would sail forever before turning vertical, I'll probably be trying this again some time. :thumbup:
Exactly - it probably CAN be done. But, on 1 toss - I'll bet my house Vs his any day.

Thank you for providing a sense of purpose to my day.
I have no doubt that with 25 throws I could hit the 100 yard mark. I threw 3 crackers at lunch and hit 50-60 yards.

THE TRICK IS TO THROW THE ENTIRE BOX, BUT I DOUBT ANYONE CAN THROW A BOX OF RITZ CRACKERS THE LENGTH OF A FOOTBALL FIELD UNLESS THEY ARE VERY TALL (THE THROWER, NOT THE BOX OF RITZ CRACKERS).

They probably fly farther witha slice of pepperoni held in place with some Philly cream cheese.

just went outside & started chucking my last sleeve of ritz down the street. I just killed a woman & her small child with two from 300 yards. :bs:

My wife can put a cherry stem in her mouth and tie it in a knot using only her tongue.
To take that to the power of two try doing it with the cherry still on there. Seen it, can't do it obviously.

While we are at it, I wager that I can flip a 620 pound tractor tire end over end 30 yards in 60 seconds or less. I will have proof of this feat when I compete in the next Nebraska Amateur Strongman contest on August 13th. Results will be posted on their website usually in early September.

Takers?
That is a definate feat to be proud of. :popcorn:

I can project my thoughts to anyone reading this - go ahead and guess which animal I'm thinking of right now.

While we are at it, I wager that I can flip a 620 pound tractor tire end over end 30 yards in 60 seconds or less.  I will have proof of this feat when I compete in the next Nebraska Amateur Strongman contest on August 13th.  Results will be posted on their website usually in early September.

Takers?
That is a definate feat to be proud of. :popcorn:
Actually it is kind of neat to be able to train for something as inane as a Strongman Competition and then see your hard work pay off in completing an event. There are 5-7 events (depending on the rules of the competition) and there are those that I fail miserably at or can't complete.Kind of wierd to feel a sense of accomplishment when you set goals and meet them I guess.

I'll admit I've never measured, 150 yds is an estimate, but it would be close.  100 yds. would be a slam dunk - I'd bet my house. Try it.

I'd bet my house on 100, $20 on 150.
You do understand the difference between feet and yards.........right? :nerd:

My wife can put a cherry stem in her mouth and tie it in a knot using only her tongue.
So can mine! Always draws a crowd at a bar. :yes:

:lmao: at this thread.

I repeat - flour tortilla, 150 feet. Takes a little more skill than the cracker because it's floppy. It's more about spin and release angle than brute strength because if you whip it too hard the tortilla will tear.
In high school, our main rival's mascot was the Dons. Whenever we played we would all smuggle tortillas into the gym and chuck them on the floor after the first score. Easily 50+ tortillas flying around. They'd stop the game, give our team a tech, and move on.

I've got a card trick that everyone knows...and because of it...I can make money because I have a twist to it that usually catches most unsuspecting.I can chug a 2 liter of Moutain Dew in 15-20 seconds.I can chug a bottle of Boone's Farm in 10-15 seconds.I can cover a baseball with my sack.Those are off the top of my head from my partying days...know I had some more...but those came to mind readily.

Y'all ever heard of Titanic Thompson, the legendary hustler?
My two favorite Titanic Thompson stories are:1) He used to bet guys the he could put a hat on the other side of a closed door and flip an entire deck of playing cards one by one under the crack in the door and all 52 would end up in the hat. Then he'd pay off someone to crawl in through the window when the door was closed, pick up all 52 cards, toss them in the hat and go back out the window. 2) When he'd drive somewhere with a sucker, he'd see a sign that said "Washington Exit - 1 mile" and he'd get to the exit and say "There is NO way that was one mile. That wasn't even a half mile." When someone would actually bite and say "C'mon...those are put up by the highway dept, they are measured" he'd make the bet that the next morning, they'd go measure it. They'd drive by the next morning and it would be just short of a half mile.In the middle of the night, Titanic would get up, dig up the sign and re-plant it a half mile down the road.

I just googled the topic and found this:

Wright Air Force Base - Flying Experiments

They tested a bunch of household objects and their ability to "fly" and it says:

"Using the suggested household objects (listed in materials below), the Ritz cracker had no lift; however the thrust was greater than the gravity and drag. The Ritz cracker flew. The brimmed hat, ball cap, square plastic lid, round plastic lid, aluminum foil pie tin and small plastic bowl flew because lift and thrust were greater than gravity and drag. Gravity and drag were greater than lift and thrust, and the toilet paper roll and styrofoam plate did not fly as well as the other objects. Results will vary depending on the samples used."

I don't know. I've been around enough to know that when something sounds SO stupid, there is usually a catch. I wouldn't bet against this. Forgive me if I sit on the sidelines and watch all of you lose your houses.

I can cover a baseball with my sack.
How'd you discover that you can do this the first time? Did you look at one once and say, "Hmmmm...."?Did you then go looking for a softball and find out you'd met your match?

I just tried it. It flew about 100 hundred feet, then a grackle grabbed it and took it about another 500 or so. :hot:
African or European grackle?
Where did he grip it?

I can cover a baseball with my sack.
How'd you discover that you can do this the first time? Did you look at one once and say, "Hmmmm...."?Did you then go looking for a softball and find out you'd met your match?
Can't remember how I got started...it was my thing though...I remember "hiding" a Rubik's Cube too...And yea...softball was definitely my match...

I can consistently hock a loogie 30+ feet on flat ground, undaided by wind.I can spit a watermelon seed 40+ feet in same conditions. Burping the alphabet is probably amateur in this group, but I'll list it.

Users who are viewing this thread