What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just had surgery to stop my snoring (1 Viewer)

I'm not going

Well this whole surgery thing didn't do the trick. I've moved on to CPAP. Used it for the first time last night and it worked great.
Please run us through what happened after the surgery.
He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.
If you're not really really muscular you could stand to lose at least 25lbs. That might help some.
The BMI is nonsense. Im one inch shorter and weigh the same and I dont look overwight. Im not overly muscular either. Some peoples body type can handle this weight
I'm not talking about bmi (which I agree is nonsense when it come to the muscular). Take a look at some bodyfat % charts and honestly assess where you think you are. If you're > 18% or so, you're carrying a decent amount of extra fat.
I have big shoulders and a big butt for a manSlightly "overweight" people actually live a little longer
If you can play center, please come try out for the Ravens. Their current center has none of those attributes.
Better suited at SS or Will

I'm not going

Well this whole surgery thing didn't do the trick. I've moved on to CPAP. Used it for the first time last night and it worked great.
He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.
If you're not really really muscular you could stand to lose at least 25lbs. That might help some.
The BMI is nonsense. Im one inch shorter and weigh the same and I dont look overwight. Im not overly muscular either. Some peoples body type can handle this weight
I'm not talking about bmi (which I agree is nonsense when it come to the muscular). Take a look at some bodyfat % charts and honestly assess where you think you are. If you're > 18% or so, you're carrying a decent amount of extra fat.
I have big shoulders and a big butt for a man

Slightly "overweight" people actually live a little longer
Wrong. People that carry lots of muscle live longer. People that carry fat live shorter lives virtually exactly to the % body fat over 12%. BMI measures total weight which is a sham. Body fat % is the gold standard. Problem is finding an accurate, dependable measurement device in which to test it.

I'm not going

I have big shoulders and a big butt for a manSlightly "overweight" people actually live a little longer
Wrong. People that carry lots of muscle live longer. People that carry fat live shorter lives virtually exactly to the % body fat over 12%. BMI measures total weight which is a sham. Body fat % is the gold standard. Problem is finding an accurate, dependable measurement device in which to test it.
Then I must be more muscular than I thought because I couldnt possibly have that much body fat %

I'm not going

Then I must be more muscular than I thought because I couldnt possibly have that much body fat %
you don't know till you actually get it checked. Most gyms will test you for nothing under the idea that if you are a fatass they will get you to signup for their gym. Doctor offices as well, but usually that isn't free.

He injected the roof of my mouth with some stuff that dissolves my soft palate - it hurt like a mofo. It made my uvula swell up to a crazy size - I had a big blob in the back of my throat. It took a week or so for the uvula to go back down in size, but it was still bigger than before. After a few months of my uvula being enlarged, I went back in and he snipped my uvula pretty much all the way off. But I am still snoring. It did help reduce the level of snoring some, but it's still pretty loud. He said sometimes people need two cracks at it, but it is such a pain in the butt that I decided to pass and try a CPAP.

I am 6'1" and weigh 215 and am in pretty decent shape.
I'm pretty built.

I'm pretty built.
How much do you squat?

I'm pretty built.
How much do you squat?
I don't squat for weight. I do kickboxing four days a week, and we will do circuit cardio sometimes along with the kickboxing. It's been years since I've squatted or benched for weight.

kutta said:
flapgreen said:
I'm pretty built.
How much do you squat?
I don't squat for weight. I do kickboxing four days a week, and we will do circuit cardio sometimes along with the kickboxing. It's been years since I've squatted or benched for weight.
Shocked you weigh that much with all that cardio. Maybe you have too much muscle? :shrug:

kutta said:
flapgreen said:
I'm pretty built.
How much do you squat?
Shocked you weigh that much with all that cardio. Maybe you have too much muscle? :shrug:
I'm "big boned" in more ways than one, and I have very muscular, sexy legs.

Good for you. I despise snorers and I think anyone who doesnt get the problem fixed deserves to die alone
:lmao: Harsh, bro.
Would you be able to sleep next to one?
I'm a heavy snorer myself, looking into options to get it stopped...no way in hell could I sleep next to me.
The CPAP has been awesome for me so far. I haven't snored at all the first two nights, and I've gotten pretty good sleep.

A couple suggestions:

1. Download the "Snore Lab" app and give it a try. It will record your snoring and give you a "snore score." It's pretty amazing to see how much I was actually snoring during the night. I had "snore scores" of over 50 sometimes, which is really high. My score has been zero for the first two days on the CPAP.

2. I ordered a mouthpiece for snoring that actually worked pretty well. The only problem was that it pushed my bottom jaw so far forward at night that my jaw hurt all day. It sucked. I may have been able to get used to it, but I went the CPAP route instead. But the mouthpiece did work.

Good for you. I despise snorers and I think anyone who doesnt get the problem fixed deserves to die alone
I'm a heavy snorer myself, looking into options to get it stopped...no way in hell could I sleep next to me.
Is it so bad you wake yourself up? If not how do you know how bad it is?
I've been told for 20+ years how loud it is by girlfriends, room mates and family members... recently I downloaded an app called SnoreClock that records audio while you sleep and gives you all kinds of info like decibel levels, snore cycles, audio graphs, total snore time and percentage, etc. Verdict: I snore f'n loudly.

The CPAP has been awesome for me so far. I haven't snored at all the first two nights, and I've gotten pretty good sleep.A couple suggestions:

1. Download the "Snore Lab" app and give it a try. It will record your snoring and give you a "snore score." It's pretty amazing to see how much I was actually snoring during the night. I had "snore scores" of over 50 sometimes, which is really high. My score has been zero for the first two days on the CPAP.

2. I ordered a mouthpiece for snoring that actually worked pretty well. The only problem was that it pushed my bottom jaw so far forward at night that my jaw hurt all day. It sucked. I may have been able to get used to it, but I went the CPAP route instead. But the mouthpiece did work.
What mouthpiece and where did you order it from? I'll do anything in my power to avoid a CPAP... And I have a snore recording app...all it did was confirm what I already knew...its interesting to see exactly how much/loud I snore though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told for 20+ years how loud it is by girlfriends, room mates and family members... recently I downloaded an app called SnoreClock that records audio while you sleep and gives you all kinds of info like decibel levels, snore cycles, audio graphs, total snore time and percentage, etc. Verdict: I snore f'n loudly.
So what were the stats? Paint me a picture here

Not sure what your game is, but I'll do you one better. From a recent recording:Stats screenshot:

http://imageshack.com/a/img268/5269/uqc9.png

Audio graph screenshot:

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/874/e7cc.png

Not sure what your game is, but I'll do you one better. From a recent recording:Stats screenshot:

http://imageshack.com/a/img268/5269/uqc9.png

Audio graph screenshot:

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/874/e7cc.png
No game. Just curious to get an idea of anything that may be exceptional. Reviewing the stats now. Any chance of a recording?

The CPAP has been awesome for me so far. I haven't snored at all the first two nights, and I've gotten pretty good sleep.A couple suggestions:

What mouthpiece and where did you order it from? I'll do anything in my power to avoid a CPAP... And I have a snore recording app...all it did was confirm what I already knew...its interesting to see exactly how much/loud I snore though.
Bump this for a mouthpiece recommendation.

kutta said:
flapgreen said:
I'm pretty built.
How much do you squat?
No such thing

I ordered mine from Amazon. The order says:

"Adjustable Night Guard Mouthpiece Sleep Aid"

For some reason, though, I can't find it on Amazon anymore. Maybe they no longer sell it. If you get one, get one that has an adjustable bottom piece because the idea is to move your bottom jaw forward which helps prevent your windpipe from closing. It worked really well for me, but again, it hurt my jaw like crazy.

Also, I saw your screen shots from your snoring app. You should check out "Snore Lab." It will actually show you a graph of your snoring and it records it all so you can play back at any time. It's very cool.

^cool thanks. My app records too...the 2nd screen shot is of the playback screen...I can pinch zoom in or out to pinpoint parts of the recording. I'll check out snore lab too.

^cool thanks. My app records too...the 2nd screen shot is of the playback screen...I can pinch zoom in or out to pinpoint parts of the recording. I'll check out snore lab too.
Ah, I missed the playback screen. Looks pretty similar then to Snore Lab.

It sure is nice waking up with a zero snore score using this silly CPAP...

Wingnut

Before getting the snoring corrected have you considered going for a guiness record?

Man, sounds like a lot for no results...

I snore, sometimes hardcore (during winter time). I weight anywhere from 195-205, and 5'10", so I could stand to lose maybe 10-20 lbs. Out of shape too. Definitely know that

dropping weight would help, but not solve it completely. But man, don't think I'll ever go THAT far to try and solve it. Hoping to never have to go the CPAP way either...

Wingnut

Before getting the snoring corrected have you considered going for a guiness record?
I'm listening....
66 decibals is high.....and that is just one night. Its concievable there are occasions you may even get louder

If you put on some wait and find the right sleeping position you might get in the record books

Then dissolve your pallete

in 1993 the Guinness Book of Records recorded one snore of 93 decibels almost two-thirds the noise level of a Boeing 747 taking off.

http://sleeptherapy.wordpress.com/2007/03/10/world-record-snoring/

:kicksrock:
You are less than 30 decibals from that. Time to start trainingYou can get fat really fast on a diet of milkshakes
Lol..I'm 6'2", 190 and in pretty good shape. I eat healthy, do cardio and core a couple times a week. No chance of fattening up - I'm svelte like a *******.

in 1993 the Guinness Book of Records recorded one snore of 93 decibels almost two-thirds the noise level of a Boeing 747 taking off.

You are less than 30 decibals from that. Time to start trainingYou can get fat really fast on a diet of milkshakes
Lol..I'm 6'2", 190 and in pretty good shape. I eat healthy, do cardio and core a couple times a week. No chance of fattening up - I'm svelte like a *******.
Cut that cardio and core crap out. Trust me get on the milkshakes

If you can hit 66 with that body imagine what you can do with an extra 40 pounds suffocating you even further when you sleep?

Ya know wingnut. Im investing a lot of energy and emotion in to your success and im not seeing squat on your end.

Your a good fighter but you need to be a tomato. Find the eye of the tiger and stick with me kid and ill take you to the top!

Cut that cardio and core crap out. Trust me get on the milkshakesIf you can hit 66 with that body imagine what you can do with an extra 40 pounds suffocating you even further when you sleep?

Ya know wingnut. Im investing a lot of energy and emotion in to your success and im not seeing squat on your end.

Your a good fighter but you need to be a tomato. Find the eye of the tiger and stick with me kid and ill take you to the top!
:lmao:

Cut that cardio and core crap out. Trust me get on the milkshakesIf you can hit 66 with that body imagine what you can do with an extra 40 pounds suffocating you even further when you sleep?

:lol: bump

The Mrs. has been waking me up to tell me I'm snoring lately. I cringe at the thought of a Cpap and looking for alternatives. Any other req's for mouth pieces. Jimmy from ZYPPAH needs a karate chop to the larynx.

The Mrs. has been waking me up to tell me I'm snoring lately. I cringe at the thought of a Cpap and looking for alternatives. Any other req's for mouth pieces. Jimmy from ZYPPAH needs a karate chop to the larynx.
You put on weight lately?

Walking Boot said:
Went with CPAP over a dental device. I don't like retainers or anything like that, haven't since I was a kid, can't imagine having one. Plus they'll mess up your mouth over time.

Went from 55 incidents/hr to 1.2/hr with the machine. Don't love the thing but it's easier for me to comply with than a mouth piece. I guess I'm weird but I find the full-face mask better than some crusty retainer. (Tried a nasal mask but with my pressure ramped up to 12 it doesn't stay in place unless it's jammed up against my nose, which isn't very comfortable)
I use the mask that covers my nose completely, but not the full face mask. It works great, but my pressure is only at 8 I think.

I'm getting fitted for a dental device too. I wear a retainer anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad. I travel like crazy and the CPAP is a pain to take with me, so I'm hoping the dental deal can substitute when I need it.

Dark Matter said:

I wouldn't recommend the surgeries. I had the one where they dissolve the soft tissue on the roof of your mouth and then cut your uvula, and it hurt like crazy and didn't really help.

I used a $60 mouthguard from ebay and it worked fine but hurt my jaw. That's why I went to a CPAP (works great). Now I'm getting fitted for a "real" dental appliance to see how that works.

There's a new implantable device that stimulates a nerve that stops you from snoring. Don't know how well it works but I bet if you google it you'll find it. Company is in MN and the device was approved last year I believe.

There's a new implantable device that stimulates a nerve that stops you from snoring. Don't know how well it works but I bet if you google it you'll find it. Company is in MN and the device was approved last year I believe.
Where is it implanted? :oldunsure:
I think he is talking about the Pillar Procedure which implants in the back roof of your mouth to reduce vibration.
My understanding is that it's pretty hit or miss. It's been around for awhile now.

I think he is talking about the Pillar Procedure which implants in the back roof of your mouth to reduce vibration.
No I'm not talking about pillar. https://www.inspiresleep.com/ Inspire medical. It was just approved this last year. Small implant done as an outpatient. It monitors your breathing at night and when you snore stimulates a muscle that causes your tongue to move thus stopping snoring. Has been well received thus far is my understanding.

^ yeah I remember hearing about this. You turn it on via a remote when you go to bed and turn it off when you wake up or something like that. Supposed to be more effective than any other treatment.

Think i'd rather get a palate tuck (if such a thing exists, or perhaps via laser ablation) than have it necrotized & absorbed.

No I'm not talking about pillar. https://www.inspiresleep.com/ Inspire medical. It was just approved this last year. Small implant done as an outpatient. It monitors your breathing at night and when you snore stimulates a muscle that causes your tongue to move thus stopping snoring. Has been well received thus far is my understanding.
:blackdot:

Dark Matter said:

You put on weight lately?
Yes, yes I have. :bag: I'll be 52 next week and the old motor is slowing down while my thirst for food/booze remains at an all time high. I downloaded the Snorelab app and used it last night. It gave me real insight into my sleeping breathing pattern and OH HELL, the sounds I make :lmao: It must be like sleeping next to Cape Canaveral. Looks like a fitted mouth piece to start and if that doesn't do it, maybe a Cpap and for sure no shots or surgeries to melt my soft palate/uvula. First and foremost is to lose the 20lbs I've put on since turning 50. Less in, more out. Thanks Kutta

Walking Boot said:
Went with CPAP over a dental device. I don't like retainers or anything like that, haven't since I was a kid, can't imagine having one. Plus they'll mess up your mouth over time.

Went from 55 incidents/hr to 1.2/hr with the machine. Don't love the thing but it's easier for me to comply with than a mouth piece. I guess I'm weird but I find the full-face mask better than some crusty retainer. (Tried a nasal mask but with my pressure ramped up to 12 it doesn't stay in place unless it's jammed up against my nose, which isn't very comfortable)
You have a link to a full-face mask you use/would recommend?

One thing that helps me is the Breathe Right nosestrips. They did reduce my snoring, even using nothing else, but not enough. But I still use them every night with my CPAP. I find it is much easier for me to breathe with the CPAP when I wear a strip. I really like those things.

Users who are viewing this thread