What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I like Matt Schaub this week..... (1 Viewer)

1. Up against the wall---check

2. Weapons available-AJ,Daniels,Walter, Slaton-check

3. Quality backup waiting to take his spot-check

he either puts up some decent numbers, or heads to the bench, much worse guys out their to try, and J-ville hasn't looked like world beaters on either side of the ball

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Up against the wall---check2. Weapons available-AJ,Daniels,Walter, Slaton-check3. Quality backup waiting to take his spot-checkhe either puts up some decent numbers, or heads to the bench, much worse guys out their to try, and J-ville hasn't looked like world beaters on either side of the ball
Okay..........

Houston actually seems to inexplicably play well against J'ville... Schaub is my backup, & I'm gonna waste a roster spot on picking up Rosenfels this week too, so I'll be interested in seeing how he performs this week.

Schaub is my backup, & I'm gonna waste a roster spot on picking up Rosenfels this week too, so I'll be interested in seeing how he performs this week.
That seems to be the move. Their schedule is gonna get really soft in the upcomming weeks and they're allready done with their bye. Once they settle in on a QB it's gonna be a nice QB2 - low QB1

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him this week too, but there is significant risk. I'm starting Griese over him while my QB1 is off because of that risk factor.

Schaub actually only has 1 bad game this year, but judging by reactions, you'd think he's been worse than D Anderson. Week 1 he may have had 2 INTs, but he also had 2 TDs & 200+ yards. The early bye week makes the Houston situation seem worse than it is.

The team is built around the pass. Make sure you have both Houston QBs & the starter will perform well most weeks. The only caveat is that if/when the QB switch comes, it'll be mid game & you'll get screwed that week.

If Schaub tanks again, Sage will start week 5. Then the problem is solved & Sage becomes potential top-12 QB.

firecrackerfreakshow said:
1. Up against the wall---check2. Weapons available-AJ,Daniels,Walter, Slaton-check3. Quality backup waiting to take his spot-checkhe either puts up some decent numbers, or heads to the bench, much worse guys out their to try, and J-ville hasn't looked like world beaters on either side of the ball
Okay........After his inability to stay healthy last season I think ALL of those applied since week 1. Nothing new here... :cry: I'm starting JAX against them because Schaub just looked awful last week. He was knocked around due to a poor OL and he just couldn't get the ball to Johnson.

Perhaps his "inability to stay healthy" and "He was knocked around due to poor OL" and "couldn't get the ball to Johnson" goes hand in hand?

Poor protection=little time=poor throws=interceptions and incomletions.

Paging Jon Kitna, paging Jon Kitna...

Personally, I just hope that the Jags don't kill Schuab, he plays half-way decent, and doesn't get benched. After this game, the schedule gets A LOT easier.

I like him this week too, but there is significant risk. I'm starting Griese over him while my QB1 is off because of that risk factor.

Schaub actually only has 1 bad game this year, but judging by reactions, you'd think he's been worse than D Anderson. Week 1 he may have had 2 INTs, but he also had 2 TDs & 200+ yards. The early bye week makes the Houston situation seem worse than it is.

The team is built around the pass. Make sure you have both Houston QBs & the starter will perform well most weeks. The only caveat is that if/when the QB switch comes, it'll be mid game & you'll get screwed that week.

If Schaub tanks again, Sage will start week 5. Then the problem is solved & Sage becomes potential top-12 QB.
The 2 TDs in Week 1 is a bit misleading. He got lucky to have a rushing TD. He has only 1 passing TD and seeing as how he had 0 rushing TDs in his career before that one, it wouldn't be surprising to see 0 rushing TDs the rest of the year. My concern is more on the 1 passing TD to 5 INTs.On the other hand, he does have a nice week 6/7, which coincides with 2 of my RBs bye weeks, so he could be useful as a Flex option instead of RB which I was using. Hmmm, might be worth seeing if I could stash him and hope that his play was directly attributable to facing two of the tougher pass defenses in the NFL.

Restricted said:
cubbie5150 said:
Schaub is my backup, & I'm gonna waste a roster spot on picking up Rosenfels this week too, so I'll be interested in seeing how he performs this week.
That seems to be the move. Their schedule is gonna get really soft in the upcomming weeks and they're allready done with their bye. Once they settle in on a QB it's gonna be a nice QB2 - low QB1
Not sure Rosenfels is worth a roster spot in a one QB league, but in a two QB league I took no chances and grabbed him off waivers, passing up the chance to move up on the waiver wire list (I have Schaub)

Well ... I'm starting Schaub against my D (Jax)

a - Diversifying my starting lineup :lmao:

b - I have no other choice :lmao:

I HOPE he has a good game. I think he has talent, but has faced a tough schedule. But I wouldn't be comfortable with him unless I had Rosenfels too. I'm surprised how many teams drafted Rosenfels without Schaub.

I just traded him in one league (after finding that most owners think he is doomed to be benched). I hope he plays well for his new owner so he beats a division foe.

Restricted said:
cubbie5150 said:
could be a 300+ yards, 3 TD week for Shaub, but more importantly, this is going to be a big game for AJ! :confused:

Restricted said:
cubbie5150 said:
Not sure Rosenfels is worth a roster spot in a one QB league, but in a two QB league I took no chances and grabbed him off waivers, passing up the chance to move up on the waiver wire list (I have Schaub)
The league in which I own Schaub as my QB2 (start one QB) uses blind bidding to pick up free agents. If Schaub were to go down or be displaced by Sage, the QB needy wouldthrwlarge bids at Sage, whereas I can get him for the minimum bid now.

i was high on schaub at the beginning of the season, banking on AJ and walter and a poor run game :thumbup: . i'm now assuming Jax defense is a tough match up for a struggling QB. next he faces indy, miami, det. do homers have a sense how short his leash is before he gets benched for sage. if he plays poorly vs. jax, is there enough of a ground swell such that we'll see sage vs. indy in week 5?

in a 16-team league where you must have 2 QBs on your roster, i don't want to be left out not having a suitable backup QB while someone else snags sage off the WW.

i was high on schaub at the beginning of the season, banking on AJ and walter and a poor run game :blackdot: . i'm now assuming Jax defense is a tough match up for a struggling QB. next he faces indy, miami, det. do homers have a sense how short his leash is before he gets benched for sage. if he plays poorly vs. jax, is there enough of a ground swell such that we'll see sage vs. indy in week 5?in a 16-team league where you must have 2 QBs on your roster, i don't want to be left out not having a suitable backup QB while someone else snags sage off the WW.
Help us, coolnerd, you're our only hope! :blackdot:

I had him as my backup, and just dropped him for Frerotte (tried to get JT O'Sullivan, but the guy first on the waiver wire beat me to it).

[Costanza voice] "It's not a lie if you believe it."

[Costanza voice] "It's not a lie if you believe it."
:clap:I was going to say, I'm impressed with this ####-eyed optimist. But as a Schaub owner, I can't say I feel the same. I picked up Dr. RosenRosen as insurance, but the more I think about it, I might drop him and just play Huard this week to cover Eli's bye ...Just not feeling the Schaub ...

I drafted him as QB1 with all the hype coming into this season...I bought into it.

But before the season even started I was able to grab Warner to start.

Now what to do?

Do I hold on to him, roster Sage or cut bait???

The one thing that worries me after watching him last week against the Titans is that he really gets a bad case of happy feet when the pressure comes. This is not a good sign for what is supposed to be a QB on the verge of breaking out. He looks like he is more on the verge of getting broken up!

If his O-line gives up the same pressure in J'ville which I think they will...Im sorry to say, if he does not performe well, it might be time to cut bait. The ONLY I mean ONLY reason to hold on would be if Kubiack gives him the keys the week after J'ville, regardless of performance. Because if he does HOU has IND, MIA, DET then CIN - pretty favorable schedule.

The 2 TDs in Week 1 is a bit misleading. He got lucky to have a rushing TD. He has only 1 passing TD and seeing as how he had 0 rushing TDs in his career before that one, it wouldn't be surprising to see 0 rushing TDs the rest of the year. My concern is more on the 1 passing TD to 5 INTs.On the other hand, he does have a nice week 6/7, which coincides with 2 of my RBs bye weeks, so he could be useful as a Flex option instead of RB which I was using. Hmmm, might be worth seeing if I could stash him and hope that his play was directly attributable to facing two of the tougher pass defenses in the NFL.
Well, I did end up picking him up, solely for his matchups weeks 6 and 7 when I could use him. I dropped Griese, who I think will be OK, but really, he isn't going to throw 67 times every week. It is a 1 QB start league and neither Schaub or Griese will ever start over Romo. Griese even shares Romo's bye week, so only consideration is the flex.Damn you Brady for even getting me into thinking about Schaub vs. Griese anyway.

Actually, aside from my own boring team musings, Schaub has been a decent play when starting. He has 4 bad starts the last 2 years. 3 of those against Tennessee (so don't start him there) and 1 against a very good SD defense last year. Only 1 of those 4 did he actually play the whole game. When he has started and finished a game against anyone not named the Titans, he has 11 TDs and 200-300 yards in those 8 games.

I will take my chances with him against teams with meh defenses as he is going to have to throw the ball with their not so good defense.

Great call. :ptts:This post helped me to decide to stick with Schaub instead of spot-starting Huard on Eli's bye. Much thanks to the OP.Best part is I watched that game with a vested interest, and Schaub looked very good. Accurate and confident. Glad I stuck with him and hopefully others did the same. :pickle:

Well, I did end up picking him up, solely for his matchups weeks 6 and 7 when I could use him. I dropped Griese, who I think will be OK, but really, he isn't going to throw 67 times every week. It is a 1 QB start league and neither Schaub or Griese will ever start over Romo. Griese even shares Romo's bye week, so only consideration is the flex.Damn you Brady for even getting me into thinking about Schaub vs. Griese anyway.

Actually, aside from my own boring team musings, Schaub has been a decent play when starting. He has 4 bad starts the last 2 years. 3 of those against Tennessee (so don't start him there) and 1 against a very good SD defense last year. Only 1 of those 4 did he actually play the whole game. When he has started and finished a game against anyone not named the Titans, he has 11 TDs and 200-300 yards in those 8 games.

I will take my chances with him against teams with meh defenses as he is going to have to throw the ball with their not so good defense.
:ptts: Glad I picked him up before the weekend. I didn't start him, but he has nice matchups after next week and might end up being quite useful. Still can't believe he was dropped already.

could be a 300+ yards, 3 TD week for Shaub, but more importantly, this is going to be a big game for AJ! :)
:banned: :shrug:

Looks like you were right. I'm thinking of picking him back up and dropping Kitna

after 2 weeks of negative points, i benched Schaub in favor of Campbell. Big mistake ... im going to lose by less than 5 points.

I really didn't think schaub would step up against Jax

good example of sticking with the guys you drafted here, Rosenfels becomes just another backup, at least for a week, let's hope there is more of this to come

I still liked Schaub but didn't like him this week. Shows what I know. He's got all the pieces in place for a nice FF season

Great call... One of those weeks where I wish my QB alternative was more marginal so I would've taken a flier on Scahub.. Cutler was mediocre, but it's not like I was gonna bench him this week... I start Scahub, I win easily instead of losing a close one.

This post interested me, but there was no way I was benching JTO for Schaub.

Schaub was looking like a potential cut soon enough.

Maybe he can regain some confidence.

amazing what a week doess - Schaub owner in my league couldn't give him away last week - now he wants a mint! I guess with that schedule hes a very nice buy - would you guys trade for Schaub even if you cant get Rosen?

the football gods let me off w/ a warning ... I benched Schaub and was down 17 points going into MNF w/ only the Steelers D left. I won by 2 points eventhough i probably deserve to lose. I talked myself out of starting Schaub based on how badly he's played.

anyway, what's his prognosis going forward? Can he be counted on on a weekly basis or is this a rare performance? Is the Jags D not as good as I thought?

Wish I had listened to this advice last week.

So how do you feel about him with Bob Saunders out for the Colts?

Yenrub said:
Wish I had listened to this advice last week.

So how do you feel about him with Bob Saunders out for the Colts?
:excited: What's not to like? They are at home. He should have a decent amount of time. Slaton should have a good game if they use him in much the same way as they did last week. Duane Brown (rookie) vs Dwight Freeney should be interesting assuming both are healthy. If Brown can contain Freeney Schaub is in for a good game. The Jags didn't have a consistent pass-rush and Schaub made them pay. Even with Indy's vanilla D and without Sanders you can bet they will try to get to Schaub all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread