What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Like The Hits/No New Stuff (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
No time for deep dives.

You like the hits.

Well, let's hear about them. Forget The White Stripes. Let's hear about your overground ubermensch hits-only rock, pop, disco, or dance act.

Or your classical and jazz leanings (sorry you aficionados. Those two get lumped together now. Dinosaurus Flex).

I'll start.

I haven't had time or the wherewithal to deep dive Franz Ferdinand's later career.

But I love "Ulysses" and "No You Girls"

So just play the hits!

Last edited:
"Bite Hard" is a pretty damn good deep cut off of "Tonight" also. A slow piano intro followed by a disco breakdown. Like the Beatles, but hypersonic disco at the end.

Great stuff . . .

This album is awesome.

I am bad about this with soooo many artists, even ones I love. Even with Dylan, I have to push myself to listen to anything post 70s. I don't do much Bruce post Born in the USA. The Hold Steady have 3 albums for me. I am not sure why this is exactly.

I am not sure why this is exactly.

I hear things years later and wonder why I was tripping and didn't give the music more of a chance. It's crazy. Like I loooove Franz Ferdinand, but after their second, I sort of was asleep at the wheel.

Tonight is an excellent album, one worthy of a ton of praise.

I am so confused.

It's just a thread where you post bands where you just like the hits and don't like the new stuff.

You can also post deep dive stuff and say these are where you changed your mind.

It's not that serious; I was just bored and wanted to talk about the Franz Ferdinand album I was listening to. I got to thinking about bands where I just like the older stuff or the hits. That's really it.

I am not sure why this is exactly.

I hear things years later and wonder why I was tripping and didn't give the music more of a chance. It's crazy. Like I loooove Franz Ferdinand, but after their second, I sort of was asleep at the wheel.

Tonight is an excellent album, one worthy of a ton of praise.
100%. I didn't give the most recent Sufjan stuff a chance until I thought of him for the MAD playlists. I have some kind of "it's only cool if it's the early stuff" hipster syndrome. I know it's wrong but it's tough for me to beat it. Plus, I get stuck on music I love and tend to want to listen and re-listen to what I love more than I like to explore.

My wife saw Madonna in concert about 10 years ago, and said she mostly played her new stuff (with just some short hits medley). Absolutely no one was there to see that.

I think that's an actual Madonna lyric. I think it's off of "American Life" or something. In trying to rap, she parodied herself trying to parody Debbie Harry in "Rapture." Or something like that.

Yes, I am indeed remembering correctly. It was that song, that album, and that lyric.

I remember sort of chortling and laughing to myself when I first heard it.

I love shows where artists do this. (I'm kidding. I don't.) But in something like a fit of serendipity, I got to see Spoon do it for their upcoming album Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, which sounds so stupid for such a good album. I think they played "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" and "Black Like Me" and the crowd that was there ate it up.

That's what you do when you're playing your New Haven shows ahead of your New York ones.

A touring legacy act who averaged 80 shows/year for 30 years will have played their hits over 2000 times. That's not the toughest thing about being a lifelong working musician in these perilous times but it's gotta be hard sometimes to ramp up enthusiasm for a song that's been a part of your life since your early 20s.

A touring legacy act who averaged 80 shows/year for 30 years will have played their hits over 2000 times. That's not the toughest thing about being a lifelong working musician in these perilous times but it's gotta be hard sometimes to ramp up enthusiasm for a song that's been a part of your life since your early 20s.
and especially if all your best efforts to make something similarly as resonant have fallen on deaf ears. It has to be hard to feel anything but a failure if 20 years of work are generally unappreciated.

Aw jeez, I was trying to be light-hearted. Even Franz's "new stuff" is nearly fifteen years old and the songs were hits when they were released.

Aw jeez, I was trying to be light-hearted. Even Franz's "new stuff" is nearly fifteen years old and the songs were hits when they were released.
Oh sorry, no matter what, it's all in the mindset of the artist. Even a total one hit wonder could be happy to have that one hit that most artists could only dream of. I guess life is all about managing expectations?

and especially if all your best efforts to make something similarly as resonant have fallen on deaf ears. It has to be hard to feel anything but a failure if 20 years of work are generally unappreciated.

I don't get the sense that older artists have any expectations of ever climbing the charts again. The ones who are still making their living through music are generally professionals who create new music because that's what they do.

I don't get the sense that older artists have any expectations of ever climbing the charts again. The ones who are still making their living through music are generally professionals who create new music because that's what they do.
You are surely right. I guess I meant more for those artists 1st, 2nd, 3rd follow up releases after the hits. At some point, I would think it becomes a difficult transition.

Didn't mean to get too existential about the life of a pop music professional.

Just relaying the underbelly of what certain people think when an artist on tour launches into some new stuff when it's the old stuff that's popular. In fact, part of the humor of my friends was in the existential crisis of the aforementioned dilemma about new stuff and old hits.

NO NEW STUFF bellows the unthinking fan, and so it is that a truth is spoken—in a way.

Last edited:
Van Morrison has some new stuff out. It's called "Accentuate the Positive" and it features rock and roll and jump blues standards. It's apparently pretty good, all things Van considered.

Van Morrison has some new stuff out. It's called "Accentuate the Positive" and it features rock and roll and jump blues standards. It's apparently pretty good, all things Van considered.
I wonder if it is too late to see him live again. I saw him about 15 years ago. Had 2nd row seats at the beautiful Fox Theater in Detroit. One of the best concerts I'e ever seen. The band was on fire and Van sounded even better live than he does on his records. The setlist was a wonderful mix of songs from throughout his career. He is funny though because he had 2 rules I've never seen at a concert before: no alcohol sales allowed and once he started, the doors were locked. If you showed up late, too bad, you didn't get to see the show.

As for the new Van album, it's ok. I mean it's Van doing a bunch of very familiar songs like Shake, Rattle and Roll. The last sort of essential Van album IMO was 2005's Magic Time. A nice review of that album:

"You expect to encounter a tired legend, a once-mighty king becalmed and tamed by the miles and years. You find instead an echo of a full-throated roar hanging in the air, the telltale signs of a bloody struggle, and an empty cage. The lion in winter is on the loose."

The Kinks are kinda opposite of this for me. As a kid I was introduced to their radio hits, bought their hit records, saw them in concert where they mostly played their hiits. Now 35 years later I have access to their entire massive catalog with streaming and a whole new world of their music was exposed to me and it’s awesome.

Still love Lola, You Really Got Me, Waterloo Sunset, etc. but blown away when a great tune I wasn’t familiar with, like Australia, pops up. Like discovering them all over again.

Last edited:
Great topic. One of my favorite bands of all time is The Church. Love those guys. Saw them a couple times in concert back in the day. Still listen to them. BUT I only listen to their six albums through 1990’s Gold Afternoon Fix (including all the deep tracks). Never bothered to listen to their newer stuff. Well it turns out they have 18 STUDIO ALBUMS SINCE THEN!!! I’m sort of ashamed that I call myself a fan when I’ve hardly given any of them a listen. Will need to rectify that. Thanks Rock!

I haven't gone to as many concerts as some, but even I learned that as soon as you hear "something from the new album" it's time to hit the bathroom and or concession stand. I also like the addition of advance playlists, it gives you a head start to beat the crowd.
🚽 🍺 🍿

I haven't gone to as many concerts as some, but even I learned that as soon as you hear "something from the new album" it's time to hit the bathroom and or concession stand. I also like the addition of advance playlists, it gives you a head start to beat the crowd.
🚽 🍺 🍿
That is probably true. If they have to note it's from the new album that probably means they know the crowd isn't likely to recognize it. If the new album is good, the fans won't need that heads-up because they will know. I don't think when The Smiths dropped The Queen is Dead they had to preface Cemetry Gates with a "here's one off our new record, please go check it out".

One exception I found was Iron Maiden. I went to see them last year, and they opened with three songs from their newest album (Senjutsu). The cool part was the audience knew the songs well, and sang along.

I think this applies to a lot of '70s singer-songwriters who had a string of really good songs, but maybe outside of one or two strong albums, had lots of filler. Neil Diamond and James Taylor stand out to me as examples.

Great topic. One of my favorite bands of all time is The Church. Love those guys. Saw them a couple times in concert back in the day. Still listen to them. BUT I only listen to their six albums through 1990’s Gold Afternoon Fix (including all the deep tracks). Never bothered to listen to their newer stuff. Well it turns out they have 18 STUDIO ALBUMS SINCE THEN!!! I’m sort of ashamed that I call myself a fan when I’ve hardly given any of them a listen. Will need to rectify that. Thanks Rock!

It's just Steve Kilbey now from the classic Church lineup. Peter Koppes left the band right before the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread