What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I LOVE Elizabeth Warren: All aboard - WOO WOO!!! (1 Viewer)

She really is good. You can tell how much she actually researches the subject matter they bring up in these congressional hearings/meetings. 

Tom Price having to answer for his own actions and lack-there-of. 

Video: http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/hhs-nominee-tom-price-faces-senators

[SIZE=20pt]Warren: "Did you buy the stock and introduce a bill that would be helpful to the company you just bought stock in?,"[/SIZE] she asked.

Price stonewalled: "The stock was bought by a broker who was making those decisions. I wasn't making those decisions."

"You said you weren't making those decisions. Let me just make sure that I understand. they are listed under your name. These are your stock trades."

"They are made on my behalf.

"Was it purchased through an index fund?"

"I don't believe so."

"A mutual fund?"

"It's a broker-directed account."

"Through a blind trust? Let's just be clear. This is not just a stockbroker, someone you pay to handle the paperwork. This is someone who buys stock at your direction. This is someone who buys and sells the stock you want them to buy and sell."

"Not true."

"So when you found out --"

"That's not true, Senator."

"You decide not to tell, wink, nod, nod, and we're supposed to believe that."

After some more back and forth, Warren continued her march.

"Then I want to understand when you found out your broker had made this trade without your knowledge, did you reprimand her?"

"What I did was comply --"

"Did you sell the stock?:

Price hemmed and hawed about how he disclosed everything while Warren and Alexander bickered over time. Finally, she resumed.

"Your periodic transaction notes you were notified of this trade on April 4th, 2016. did you take an additional actions after that date to advance your plan to help the company that you now own stock in?," Warren asked.

Here she was getting to the fact that after purchasing the stock, he introduced legislation to help the company.

Price snapped back, "I'm offended by the insinuation, Senator." (*had to get personal, couldnt stick to the facts)

Warren was ready. "You may be offended, but here's what you did. After you were personally notified of this trade, which you said you didn't know about in advance..you sent a letter to CMS calling to cease all future and planned mandatory initiatives under the Center for Medicare and Medicaid innovation and so there was no misunderstanding about who you were trying to help, you specifically mentioned hip and knee replacement."

Earlier in the day, Senator Patty Murray elicited answers from Price which clearly point toward some major insider trading on his part. Even though the media is downplaying it, it's a huge problem for Price. This particular exchange concerned a private placement purchase of a company by the name of Innate Immunotherapeutics. Private placements are investment offerings to private investors and usually require a minimum investment. Think of them as venture capital pooling where companies raise funds before going public.
Meanwhile Trump is filling the swap to over capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole Wells Fargo things has a lot of tentacles.  They found out Prudential Securities was doing unscrupulous actions in their relationship with Wells Fargo as well, and there are at least hundreds of people who've had their lives ruined because of bad credit because of the accounts opened without their knowledge.  Wells also handles Fidelity cash accounts.

RUN, DON'T WALK away from Wells Fargo.  Plenty of other places you can put your money. 

She's a cold calculating #### who didn't have the nerve to back Sanders when she should have. She's a phony , just another pol out for herself 

Op-Ed: Why Elizabeth Warren is no longer the darling of the left

Jordan Chariton January 17, 2017

Regardless of Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi's titles—and to the comical dismay of corporate, establishment Democrats—Bernie Sanders has become the defacto leader of the Democratic Party.

Sunday in Warren, Michigan put an exclamation point on the sentence, as Sanders, alongside Schumer, brought out 8,000 people on a bitterly cold winter day to fight against Obamacare repeal.

Even the establishment media is waking up—granted a year too late.

"That's the future of the Democratic Party," Joe Scarborough, echoing Mika Brzezinski's sentiment, said on Morning Joe Monday. "He sounds just as relevant today as he did a year ago."

So, as the mainstream media opportunistically tries to Feel The Bern after ignoring Sanders when it mattered (both CNN and MSNBC recently held primetime town halls with him), you know who's become less relevant?

Senator Elizabeth Warren . 

The one-time progressive rock star—who activists tried to summon to run in 2016 with hopes of bringing down Hillary Clinton—has already made moves that many inside the Beltway believe are a precursor to a run in 2020.

But, much to the shock of genius corporate journalists who continue to live in their alternate, elitist bubble and obsess over Donald Trump's tweets rather than the endless struggles of working people, the progressive movement has soured on one if its past heroes.

A majority of progressive voters and activists I spoke to during my campaign reporting were disgusted with Warren's cowardice during the Democratic Primary, where she dodged on endorsing the most progressive candidate to run since FDR.

The firebrand, anti-Wall Street Senator was wildly popular in her home-state of Massachusetts, but she decided not to endorse Sanders before the Super Tuesday primary. Sanders lost Massachusetts by less than two points, causing progressives to believe the state—and momentum—would have gone to Sanders had Warren endorsed and campaigned with him across the state.

Larger than her Massachusetts mistake, Warren's choice to passionately campaign for Clinton—the antithesis of all she proclaimed to stand against during her meteoric rise isn't a fact progressive Sanders aficionados will simply forgive and forget.

Furthermore, Warren—along with the corporate media—was inexplicably MIA during the fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline, saying nothing as thousands of unarmed, peaceful Native Americans and environmental activists were illegally arrested and shot at with tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets, freezing water, and grenades by de facto oil police in North Dakota.

Like her decision to conveniently endorse Clinton when Sanders was mathematically eliminated, Warren finally chose to speak out against DAPL on the same day the Army Corps of Engineers denied a crucial permit for the pipeline's completion. 

This kind of calculated, Johnny-Come-Lately progressivism doesn't cut it for the millions of progressives looking to rally behind a leader as the road to 2020 narrows.

So, the time for choosing is upon Warren. She must decide: what do I truly stand for? Right now, there's a large swath of the progressive movement that's no longer sure.

She must choose between being a strong progressive who largely ignores political calculations in favor of fighting for workers and minorities, or continue serving as a one-trick pony that steals the show by yelling at bankers during congressional hearings, but isn't trusted by the movement to do much more.

Warren must decide if she is going to stand out as a progressive leader on issues that go beyond Wall Street and the rigged economy—such as ensuring clean water and safety for the people instead of unfettered profits for the oil companies.

If Warren chooses the progressive path, she'll still need to explain her dubious choices during the 2016 election and beyond. 

But if Sanders decides against running in four years, Warren—in a political climate with a jarring scarcity of true progressive leaders—could have a chance to climb back up the progressive ranks and possibly serve as the movement's best chance to finally take the White House. 

The clock is ticking.

Commentary by Jordan Chariton, a political reporter for The Young Turks, reporting on the presidential campaign trail. He can be seen on TYT Politics. Before TYT, Jordan was a reporter for TheWrap and TVNewser. Follow him on Twitter @JordanChariton.

For more insight from CNBC contributors, follow @CNBCopinion on Twitter.

More From CNBC 

Top News and Analysis

Latest News Video

Personal Finance

Doing my best :cstu:  

Liz Warren Sums Up How Classless Democratic Party Has Become by Refusing to Shake Hand of Trump Nominee

Liz Warren, U.S. Senator and multimillionaire warrior for income inequality, summed up in one awkward moment why the Democratic Party's streak of intolerant behavior doesn't look to be going away anytime soon.

At the Senate confirmation hearing for Trump's Dept. of Ed. nominee Betsy DeVos, Liz Warren went on a tear:

Warren lit into DeVos over her “lack of experience,” perhaps not getting that Americans don't necessarily want a bureaucrat from inside the Beltway.

Ironically, the same woman who ostensibly defrauded the education system herself for lying about her Native American ancestry was on her high horse the entire hearing.

Warren has even been blasting away at DeVos for her school choice views, while once being an advocate of vouchers. The Boston Herald reported:

Top Trump critic U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren — who’s expected to grill Education Secretary nominee Betsy DeVos tomorrow — once advocated school choice much like the woman she is likely to grandstand against.

Warren recently slammed DeVos’ lack of education experience as well as her support for school vouchers that would allow public school students to attend private schools in a likely preview of tomorrow’s nomination hearing.

Warren's classless move of refusing to shake DeVos's hand was captured on camera and drew applause from her fans:

While others came to DeVos's defense:

It's hard to predict how the Democrats are going to top these kinds of antics, which come as at least 50 Democrats are protesting the Inauguration of President Donald Trump for him being supposedly “illegitimate.”

Actually, what's “illegitimate” are classless displays from politicians, which come at a time when the country needs grace from its leaders and at least a tributary show of national unity.

Warren rocks.  No doubt about it.

And Im a bigger Bernie supporter then Warren, but her POTUS decision doesn't move the bar at all.
She screwed Bernie in MA. If she backed him in MA there he takes the state and things between  Hills & Sanders could have been much different.  

Far from a liberal but I see Bernies appeal . Warren , not so much , she is so disingenuous . Polar opposites 

She screwed Bernie in MA. If she backed him in MA there he takes the state and things between  Hills & Sanders could have been much different.  

Far from a liberal but I see Bernies appeal . Warren , not so much , she is so disingenuous . Polar opposites 
She has all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile.  Can't even shake the lady's hand?  

Hate to break it to you but I know for a fact that even Senate Republicans admire her.  She's awesome, whether you agree with her politics or not. 

Hate to break it to you but I know for a fact that even Senate Republicans admire her.  She's awesome, whether you agree with her politics or not. 
Fairytale. Ask fast Eddie Markey
Yeah well I work with a Senator, so there's that.  A Republican Senator at that. 

You know about as much about DC as Squis knows about partying hard, stay in your lane.  :bye:

It's funny because i think i am lucky and i have never fallen into this "good team, bad team" we have with everything being Republicans vs Democrats. I started liking Warren and paying attention to her 15 years ago or so when she was teaching at Harvard (actually i guess i first hear about her at Penn). 

I was so thankful when she went into politics. to be honest i like plenty of Republicans and Democrats, and i really dislike a lot more of both. But without a doubt she is an intelligent woman and probably smarter than 80% of the politicians in Washington. She is also open minded and sees the big picture of things, and i think people who dislike her are missing out. You can hate her political stance on some things, but if we could have people with intelligence and able to see the big picture, i would take that any day no matter what the party is. 

It's funny because i think i am lucky and i have never fallen into this "good team, bad team" we have with everything being Republicans vs Democrats. I started liking Warren and paying attention to her 15 years ago or so when she was teaching at Harvard (actually i guess i first hear about her at Penn). 

I was so thankful when she went into politics. to be honest i like plenty of Republicans and Democrats, and i really dislike a lot more of both. But without a doubt she is an intelligent woman and probably smarter than 80% of the politicians in Washington. She is also open minded and sees the big picture of things, and i think people who dislike her are missing out. You can hate her political stance on some things, but if we could have people with intelligence and able to see the big picture, i would take that any day no matter what the party is. 
She's an effective legislator who has the ear of her political opponents.  Among Senators she is very well respected, even if they don't agree with her politics.  She's the Senator that eats her lunch with her staff and has coffee with the most far right guy on the hill. 

Bernie is cool but he's a weirdo and I disagree with the thought that a far right guy could understand why liberals would gravitate towards Bernie and not Warren.  Bernie is pretty extreme, so I guess that is the allure of him to righties who think they have it all figured out.  He's an effective Senator also, but he isn't Warren. 

Yeah well I work with a Senator, so there's that.  A Republican Senator at that. 

You know about as much about DC as Squis knows about partying hard, stay in your lane.  :bye:
:shrug:

I know Eddie you #### bum. We belong to the same social club , went to same private Hs although many years later , I worked for him as a kid and he's my neighbor . He gets a snoot full and the stories come flying . Eddie loves his booze and loves to tell tales. 

Giving handies to to a senator at $10 a pop isn't exactly working with them. 

:shrug:

I know Eddie you #### bum. We belong to the same social club , went to same private Hs although many years later , I worked for him for many years and he's my neighbor . He gets a snoot full and the stories come flying . Eddie loves his booze and loves to tell tales. 
Do you get any Capitol Hill tail stories from him?  I'd be interested in hearing those.

One great thing about working on the hill are the young women, there are a boatload of them showing off every day.  It's wonderful.  :thumbup:

Do you get any Capitol Hill tail stories from him?  I'd be interested in hearing those.

One great thing about working on the hill are the young women, there are a boatload of them showing off every day.  It's wonderful.  :thumbup:
He's a good guy , typical blowhard(think Tim) ,loves a free drink . Not from a wealthy family or anything self made . The very definition of the Peter principle .

I completely disagree.  There are not many in Congress that put their money where their mouth is like Warren.  You probably agree with her on almost nothing, but I don't see why you would label her as disingenuous when there are hundreds more deserving of the label.

The Bernie criticism is fair, I think. It was a smart move on her part to not endorse anyone, but courage doesn't always mean doing the smartest and safest option. She could have made a difference in her state if she backed him. She didn't. :shrug:

I completely disagree.  There are not many in Congress that put their money where their mouth is like Warren.  You probably agree with her on almost nothing, but I don't see why you would label her as disingenuous when there are hundreds more deserving of the label.
He'll say that when Warrens parents told her she was part Indian, that she couldn't then have it on an application without being forever called names.

This whole Wells Fargo things has a lot of tentacles.  They found out Prudential Securities was doing unscrupulous actions in their relationship with Wells Fargo as well, and there are at least hundreds of people who've had their lives ruined because of bad credit because of the accounts opened without their knowledge.  Wells also handles Fidelity cash accounts.

RUN, DON'T WALK away from Wells Fargo.  Plenty of other places you can put your money. 
You can get higher yields at online banks (Discoverer, State Farm, Capital One, Ally, etc).  You can get better service/help out your community by joining a credit union.  Yet the big banks keep getting bigger.   Do people not realize how ATM networks work?  

My credit union let's you withdraw fee free at every damn 7-11 plus other places.  How the heck can you beat that?

He'll say that when Warrens parents told her she was part Indian, that she couldn't then have it on an application without being forever called names.
If he won't say it I will.  Playing the minority card for personal gain.  About as disingenuous as it gets.  And I don't care what her mamaw said about her having high cheekbones.  It's a crock and we all know it.

If he won't say it I will.  Playing the minority card for personal gain.  About as disingenuous as it gets.  And I don't care what her mamaw said about her having high cheekbones.  It's a crock and we all know it.
    Massachusetts Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren is yet again in hot water after new allegations have surfaced that she plagiarized her 'Cherokee' recipes in the book Pow Wow Chow from the New York Times and other publications.

When you say "we all know it", who are you referring to?  Because I don't know it.

Meanwhile Trump is filling the swap to over capacity.
She's doing her best to help with the filling.  While she "got the CEO of Wells Fargo fired"....believe it or not, he was a good guy by comparison in the industry.  They replaced him with a guy who's the epitome of what Warren hates.  WF took a step backwards by her standard.  I am starting to cool on Warren.  She seems to only see one part of the equation.  She's so focused on the removal part, she pays no mind to what fills the void.  This makes her essentially a grand stander and she's really not making things better....at least she didn't in the WF case.  To be effective one needs to be focused both on the removal AND replacement portions of these sorts of things IMO.

She's doing her best to help with the filling.  While she "got the CEO of Wells Fargo fired"....believe it or not, he was a good guy by comparison in the industry.  They replaced him with a guy who's the epitome of what Warren hates.  WF took a step backwards by her standard.  I am starting to cool on Warren.  She seems to only see one part of the equation.  She's so focused on the removal part, she pays no mind to what fills the void.  This makes her essentially a grand stander and she's really not making things better....at least she didn't in the WF case.  To be effective one needs to be focused both on the removal AND replacement portions of these sorts of things IMO.
She is a grandstander . She's all about the soundbite or video op

And her "grandstanding" is to the benefit of America. 

You go emotional and try and poo-poo her character with stuff you cant validate because her good works are terrific and largely unassailable.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the grandstanding descriptive. She makes my skin crawl as a typical politician who loves to say things to rile up their base and make people think she's the 2nd coming.  The Wells Fargo CEO grilling was fine, but he actually was and did come off like an honest and earnest person. There are so many other scumbags in big banks and wall street to eviscerate.  She went in on him because the hearing was widely televised and the pack wanted some red meat to dig into - she always does her best work when she knows it will be a heavily publicized event - I found her particular grilling over the top.  She's a sleazy politician like most of the rest of them and not worth worship. For some reason I never got the same feeling from Bernie.  Need more Bernie's, less Warrens and Trumps IMO.

BigSteelThrill said:
Your poor sensibilities.  Hell, you are grandstanding more then her.
Nah - you should grab a dictionary and figure out what grandstanding means there dopey.  I forgot you were the racist pig that I took off ignore for some reason after your disgustingly racist commentary in another thread - back to ignore for you for also being slow in the head as well as being a prejudice swine. Enjoy your president Trump.

John Bender said:
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the grandstanding descriptive. She makes my skin crawl as a typical politician who loves to say things to rile up their base and make people think she's the 2nd coming.  The Wells Fargo CEO grilling was fine, but he actually was and did come off like an honest and earnest person. There are so many other scumbags in big banks and wall street to eviscerate.  She went in on him because the hearing was widely televised and the pack wanted some red meat to dig into - she always does her best work when she knows it will be a heavily publicized event - I found her particular grilling over the top.  She's a sleazy politician like most of the rest of them and not worth worship. For some reason I never got the same feeling from Bernie.  Need more Bernie's, less Warrens and Trumps IMO.
Sorry... but this is just wrong and laughable.

It's all relative.  Compared to his peers he was nothing like the others.  Not wrong or laughable, if you'd like to discuss intelligently let me know.
Explain how he was honest or earnest. Because he was neither. He knew exactly what was going on, and he evaded the questioning. And this was his only option. But he was not honest, and he was not earnest. 

Hopefully there will come a day when the system is no longer rigged and all minority women can become Professors and get paid around $350,000 to teach one class while living in a $5,000,000 mansion...

Explain how he was honest or earnest. Because he was neither. He knew exactly what was going on, and he evaded the questioning. And this was his only option. But he was not honest, and he was not earnest. 
He is debating something that isn't even debatable. That should tell you enough about the posts he will make. Its all just spew.

Hopefully there will come a day when the system is no longer rigged and all minority women can become Professors and get paid around $350,000 to teach one class while living in a $5,000,000 mansion...
Lieshttp://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/oct/29/facebook-posts/critics-say-elizabeth-warren-lives-54-million-mans/

According to real estate records, Warren’s house -- a clapboard Victorian built in 1890 -- was purchased in 1995 for $447,000. Back then, the median sale price for a single-family home in Cambridge was roughly $300,000, so the house was definitely above average for the city at the time.

The amount paid for the house in 1995 works out to just shy of $700,000 in today’s dollars. But it was a smart purchase. The house’s assessed value for 2015 was a bit over $1.9 million, and as is often the case, the expected resale value is higher.

The real estate website Zillow.com estimates that the house’s value today is about $2.4 million. That’s well above the median price of homes currently listed in Cambridge, which Zillow says is $639,000, though in Warren’s immediate neighborhood, several houses have values exceeding $2 million and more exceed $1 million, according to Zillow.

It’s worth noting that the use of the term "mansion" may be a bit of a stretch. The house has two bedrooms and three-and-a-half baths, and 3,728 square feet of living space.

Warren’s 2011 financial disclosure report, required of Senate candidates, listed the house as having a value of between $1 million and $5 million.

Bender is probably making a point comparing him with other banking execs.  I agree with him on that. 

BigSteelThrill said:
And her "grandstanding" is to the benefit of America. 

You go emotional and try and poo-poo her character with stuff you cant validate because her good works are terrific and largely unassailable.
Not in the WF case (which is the ONLY context I am talking about in these posts) that removed Stumpf and replaced him with Sloan.  A fox is now IN the hen house...yeah America!!!!!

It's all relative.  Compared to his peers he was nothing like the others.  Not wrong or laughable, if you'd like to discuss intelligently let me know.
You can't get more wrong on this in comparison with his peers....go see the discussion about this (if you really want to understand them....I don't suspect this is the case though)...it's already been covered.

I watched the hearing.  I've seen many similar hearings.  Of those I've seen with banking executives, to me (and I fully admit this is my opinion), he didn't come off as a total sleazebag.  He seemed honestly concerned over what happened, admitted very clearly that it was a huge problem and a huge mistake and took most of the blame onto himself and stated multiple times the buck stops with him and that's why he was there to get grilled.  

In comparison, I found that he was as forthcoming as he could possibly be.  I know the committee wanted blood, but it changed my opinion of Warren in that moment.  I thought she was showing out for the camera, unnecessarily condescending to a guy who was there desperately wanting to fix the problem that he cause.  He seemed to go quietly with his firing as well.  

I don't know.  It's not like he's a hero or anything and maybe he's not even a good guy - but compared to his counterparts I've seen in a similar grill, I got the impression he was generally an honest guy and that Warren was essentially playing it up for the audience. Just my opinion of the situation.

Again, it's all relative and just my opinion of course.  Warren to me came off as a huge phony, WF CEO did not.

I watched the hearing.  I've seen many similar hearings.  Of those I've seen with banking executives, to me (and I fully admit this is my opinion), he didn't come off as a total sleazebag.  He seemed honestly concerned over what happened, admitted very clearly that it was a huge problem and a huge mistake and took most of the blame onto himself and stated multiple times the buck stops with him and that's why he was there to get grilled.  

In comparison, I found that he was as forthcoming as he could possibly be.  I know the committee wanted blood, but it changed my opinion of Warren in that moment.  I thought she was showing out for the camera, unnecessarily condescending to a guy who was there desperately wanting to fix the problem that he cause.  He seemed to go quietly with his firing as well.  

I don't know.  It's not like he's a hero or anything and maybe he's not even a good guy - but compared to his counterparts I've seen in a similar grill, I got the impression he was generally an honest guy and that Warren was essentially playing it up for the audience. Just my opinion of the situation.

Again, it's all relative and just my opinion of course.  Warren to me came off as a huge phony, WF CEO did not.
:goodposting:

Similar to my opinion of the Jon Stewart vs Jim Cramer thing years back. He was the only one with from CNBC with the balls to show up and shoot straight as well as legitimately wants to help people.  In both cases, I get the broader point that Stewart/Warren are going for.  I agree with it.  But, throwing that type of vitriol at the relative good guys doesn't help bring the change you want to see. 

@Tom Skerritt i see you were the original person who started this topic so I do apologize for coming in flippantly with my "hot take" on something you obviously know a lot about as well.  Hopefully I laid out my opinion concisely.  I might even support Warren, I'm not sure of all of her politics, I'm really talking about this isolated incident as well as similar grillings I've seen her on the giving end of.  She doesn't distinguish herself from other politicians in my eyes with that kind of stuff, it just comes off as phony to me.

Not in the WF case (which is the ONLY context I am talking about in these posts) that removed Stumpf and replaced him with Sloan.  A fox is now IN the hen house...yeah America!!!!!
That bad eh?  Actually working on crossing the street.
I'm not a fan, but we're peons (at least I am).  CEO "leadership" is the least of my concerns....until he decides to cut the retirement group, then it's full on dooshnozzle levels for him as far as I'm concerned.  

That is your interpretation, and so be it. I see it as the guy is a sociopath, and he can look you in the eye and lie to your face, and you will believe him. There is absolutely no chance that he didn't know what was going on. The numbers simply do not support the idea that things were above board. And these are numbers people. You're trying to tell me that the CEO of a national bank thinks that their numbers can grow that large that fast under normal "honest" circumstances? It's inconceivable to sane logical people.

@Tom Skerritt i see you were the original person who started this topic so I do apologize for coming in flippantly with my "hot take" on something you obviously know a lot about as well.  Hopefully I laid out my opinion concisely.  I might even support Warren, I'm not sure of all of her politics, I'm really talking about this isolated incident as well as similar grillings I've seen her on the giving end of.  She doesn't distinguish herself from other politicians in my eyes with that kind of stuff, it just comes off as phony to me.
:thumbup:

I'm just tired of these entitled #######s taking advantage honest working people. You may not like Warren's personality and tactics, but I welcome it in situations such as these.

:thumbup:

I'm just tired of these entitled #######s taking advantage honest working people. You may not like Warren's personality and tactics, but I welcome it in situations such as these.
Personality and tactics are secondary.  You don't have a problem with the result of her actions?  She dug the hole deeper.  Why would you be ok with that?  I was a pretty big fan until this incident.  It was a sort of rude awakening to me.

Users who are viewing this thread