What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help selecting an Engagement Ring (1 Viewer)

I also used Blue Nile, within the past year. I found the whole experience to be pretty pleasant overall. Their customer service was great and their website really does do a decent job of breaking down what exactly the #### I'm spending my money on. They really did take a lot of pain and sting out of it, and I liked that I wasn't being hassled or pushed by a salesman. I had fished for the type of cut and setting she wanted, and asked her sister for some advice, and from there the Blue Nile website is all stats and numbers.

Are there cheaper options out there? Of course. Am I a sucker for buying a diamond cause they're overpriced? Yes. But Blue Nile wasn't so bad, IMO.

Did any of you guys go to a wholesaler instead of a retailer? I feel like I'd get a better deal in the downtown jewelry district as opposed to the standard mall stores.
Totally did this. "Knew a guy who knew a guy" who was a "diamond merchant"(non-Hasidic :shrug: ). Rock was probably half the cost of any retail stuff I'd ever checked(which wasn't many, honestly, since I wasn't ever going to pay retail).

Fun fact: About 8 years later I saw the dude on the local news getting arrested for tax evasion, or something. He was also reportedly wanted by just about every loan shark in town. Appears "diamond merchant" was really just his day job. He was really a compulsive, high stakes gambler. Nice gig if you can get it, I guess. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile and was quite satisfied with the experience (aside from the fact that it led me to a short-lived marriage to a complete sociopath). There is no need to pay for a salesman's commission and the rent and upkeep of a brick and mortar jewelry store on top of the cost of the ring.
How do you ensure it is a legit ring?

What is their return policy? Can you buy it/have it delivered and take it to another jeweler to appraise, and if it isn't what you expected return?

I bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile and was quite satisfied with the experience (aside from the fact that it led me to a short-lived marriage to a complete sociopath). There is no need to pay for a salesman's commission and the rent and upkeep of a brick and mortar jewelry store on top of the cost of the ring.
How do you ensure it is a legit ring?

What is their return policy? Can you buy it/have it delivered and take it to another jeweler to appraise, and if it isn't what you expected return?
Blue Nile is a legit place to buy diamonds.

How many of you guys took out loans, and or payment plans to pay for your rings? If so, would you do that again to buy the more expensive ring, or would you rather go with the cheaper ring?

How do you ensure it is a legit ring?What is their return policy? Can you buy it/have it delivered and take it to another jeweler to appraise, and if it isn't what you expected return?
Yeah, I know you can pretty easily return it if you are not satisfied with the ring once you see it in person. I don't really know any of the details about that, though.

ETA - It looks like you can return the ring for any reason for a full money back guarantee within 30 days.

How many of you guys took out loans, and or payment plans to pay for your rings? If so, would you do that again to buy the more expensive ring, or would you rather go with the cheaper ring?
I financed. But I was young and dumb and then got divorced years later when I realized I married a complete ****.

This sounds like an awful idea... If taking out a loan to buy a ring, how would one intend on paying for a wedding? Is this another loan or will parents be paying for the wedding?

Regardless, your future spouse should be aware of your financial situation and shouldn't expect you to overextend yourself.

This sounds like an awful idea... If taking out a loan to buy a ring, how would one intend on paying for a wedding? Is this another loan or will parents be paying for the wedding?

Regardless, your future spouse should be aware of your financial situation and shouldn't expect you to overextend yourself.
I agree. I was just wondering if some guys went this route in order to not take a portion of their savings and then also have to pitch in for a wedding.

It's time like these when I wish I had some family heirloom ring to give. No matter what the cut, clarity, carats, at least a family piece has history and character.

It's time like these when I wish I had some family heirloom ring to give. No matter what the cut, clarity, carats, at least a family piece has history and character.
Just buy an old one on ebay and tell her it was your great grandmother's. It can be the first of many lies the marriage is built on.

I also used Blue Nile, within the past year. I found the whole experience to be pretty pleasant overall. Their customer service was great and their website really does do a decent job of breaking down what exactly the #### I'm spending my money on. They really did take a lot of pain and sting out of it, and I liked that I wasn't being hassled or pushed by a salesman. I had fished for the type of cut and setting she wanted, and asked her sister for some advice, and from there the Blue Nile website is all stats and numbers.

Are there cheaper options out there? Of course. Am I a sucker for buying a diamond cause they're overpriced? Yes. But Blue Nile wasn't so bad, IMO.
I did pretty much the exact same thing. You are still getting the on-line discount and while it may bit a bit more than other on-line options you know you're dealing with a reputable place. I like the fact that they give you full access to the GIA cert so you can get the basics like cut, clarity, color etc... but also see some of the more obscure measurements and characteristics.

My advice is to buy the best cut and then go as low as you can go on color and clarity without being visible to the naked eye. If you have some extra time read up on the table and depth % and find the best out of your available options. If you do this you will have that brilliant sparkly effect the ladies like. Also, I paid a little extra to get platinum bands and think it was well spent.

If you're thinking of going Blue Nile, also check out James Allen as well. They actually have photos of every stone they sell online.

I looked at this route but I decided I wanted to see stones in person at a wholesaler to compare and buy.

Go to Amsterdam or Antwerp. The $$ it costs you to fly over you will save in the cost of the diamond.

Mrs refs diamond was purchased in dam square in Amsterdam.

Went through this last year. Here are some notes i have shared with a few people. Let me know if you have any questions.

When looking for a diamond, there are certain measurements which you want your diamond to be in. This will help weed out the bad ones that don't perform as well.

For Round brilliants:

depth - 60 - 62.5%

table - 54- 57%

crown angle - 34- 35 degrees

pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees

girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc

polish and symmetry - very good and above

Most online searches will let you search using those parameters. Pricescope has a pretty good search on their website

You need to also make sure that the certification is either GIA or AGS. EGL is being banned by many trading networks as of late and tends to grade diamonds higher than they really are (Hence the reason they are cheaper).

Also, if you can, ask the vendor for an idealscope or ASET image. Basically, these measure the light performance of a diamond. Its easier to tell which diamond is better using these than with the naked eye(at least for me) since most jewelry stores lighting will make all stones look good. I know i really couldnt tell the difference in many cases.

Once you have a good cut, then you can decide what size and color based on your budget. I would probably stay H or better and SI1 or better. But you could get a good deal if you find a I color SI2 that is superbly cut thats eye clean or has an inclusion that could be hidden by a setting.
Also want to add that whatever you do, make sure who you buy with has a return policy of at least 30 days and get the diamond appraised by a 3rd party who only does appraisals.

Oh and if you go somewhere and they try to say it will appraise for way more than they are selling it for, or they already have an appraisal, or they say they are wholesalers, run. They are just trying to sell you. Also, you wont want to get insurance on a ring with an inflated appraisal value because it will likely not be replaced for that value.

Also want to add that whatever you do, make sure who you buy with has a return policy of at least 30 days and get the diamond appraised by a 3rd party who only does appraisals.
For the record, Blue Nile offers a 30-day return policy, I believe. She took the ring to have it appraised and graded pretty much immediately. The grading came back a match to the GIA documents that Blue Nile provided to me, and the appraisal came back about 30% higher than what I had actually paid for it. It wasn't an "only does appraisals" guy, it was a local jeweler who came strongly recommended by her mother/aunts. :shrug:

For the record, Blue Nile offers a 30-day return policy, I believe. She took the ring to have it appraised and graded pretty much immediately. The grading came back a match to the GIA documents that Blue Nile provided to me, and the appraisal came back about 30% higher than what I had actually paid for it. It wasn't an "only does appraisals" guy, it was a local jeweler who came strongly recommended by her mother/aunts. :shrug:
Sounds like you picked a good rock. The benefit of being appraised by someone who only does appraisals is they have no motivation to grade it higher or lower and they are usually more thorough. Most important is not to get it appraised by the person who sells it to you!

Has to be a GIA certificate IMO...
Yea you want GIA or AGS. AGS is actually better because its graded by light performance which at the end of the day is what you want. If your buying AGS 0 online, you can be sure it will look good if its eye clean so it takes the worry out. For GIA, you need to make sure it cut within the right parameters and even then, it may not perform well so you still need to see it and/or see ASET or Idealscope images to see light performance.

Go to Amsterdam or Antwerp. The $$ it costs you to fly over you will save in the cost of the diamond.

Diamonds are a global commodity like gold, although the variables in diamond quality make commodity-like pricing difficult. But you aren't going to get it cheaper in one country vs. another. Where you will typically get ripped off is buying from a retailer with a huge markup. Even Blue Nile is making 15-20% margin off the stones they sell. Buy from a reputable dealer that only marks up a few points and you should be good to go. No need to fly to Belgium, although the waffles are quite tasty.

Diamonds are a global commodity like gold, although the variables in diamond quality make commodity-like pricing difficult. But you aren't going to get it cheaper in one country vs. another. Where you will typically get ripped off is buying from a retailer with a huge markup. Even Blue Nile is making 15-20% margin off the stones they sell. Buy from a reputable dealer that only marks up a few points and you should be good to go. No need to fly to Belgium, although the waffles are quite tasty.
In that case, better check out Costco diamonds. They mark up a maximum of 15% according to the Sixty Minutes story a while back.

Honestly, with regard to pricing, if you search the exact parameters online, you should know about what its going to cost and can use that to haggle down. That price usually has the standard markup included.

Its really all about the specs. I don't think you will find too much variation in price based on the right specs from vendor to vendor. If anything maybe you get less markup from online vendors because they dont have to pay for a storefront. Best are the vendors who sell online and have a storefront as well. There are a few good ones in NYC that i know if if you are from the area.

In that case, better check out Costco diamonds. They mark up a maximum of 15% according to the Sixty Minutes story a while back.
Costco doesn't sell loose diamonds, only finished pieces of jewelry. So the markup is probably more than 15%.

I took out the payment plan. I didnt propose until the ring was paid for.

Did any of you guys go to a wholesaler instead of a retailer? I feel like I'd get a better deal in the downtown jewelry district as opposed to the standard mall stores.
Totally did this. "Knew a guy who knew a guy" who was a "diamond merchant"(non-Hasidic :shrug: ). Rock was probably half the cost of any retail stuff I'd ever checked(which wasn't many, honestly, since I wasn't ever going to pay retail).

Fun fact: About 8 years later I saw the dude on the local news getting arrested for tax evasion, or something. He was also reportedly wanted by just about every loan shark in town. Appears "diamond merchant" was really just his day job. He was really a compulsive, high stakes gambler. Nice gig if you can get it, I guess. :thumbup:
I have financed a few of these guys, cash is king. When i bought my wife's diamond I went to a couple of places I financed down in the LA diamond district. I bought a loose diamond (3.53 d si1) radiant. Honestly, I paid less than half of retail. I had 100 bills,just like buying a car, the guy new I was serious and that he would not have to pay tax on the sale (nor did I). Look at a ton of loose diamonds. You will get a feel for what you want. Stay far away from brick and mortar buildings. If they have a TV commercial you are paying way too much. Get the setting built separately and pay cash.

those appraisals are funny. Ask them how much they would give you, $100 bills, for it. That is the value. Actually, go to a pawn shop and see what they would pay you. That is the low end of the value.

why would he fly to Belgium if he wanted to go to Amsterdam? The train ride from Brussels is boring.

those appraisals are funny. Ask them how much they would give you, $100 bills, for it. That is the value. Actually, go to a pawn shop and see what they would pay you. That is the low end of the value.
thats the thing. People will buy a diamond for 5k and the jeweler will give them appraisal for say 10k to make them think they got a discount or a good deal. Then you are paying insurance on the 10k when in reality, when you go to get it replaced you will get the equivalent of the $5k which is really what its worth. Better to get that detailed appraisal, and ensure your insurance will replace full value or the exact specs of the diamond/ring.

I gave my fiance the cash and let her go to a wholesaler to pick out the gem, the ring, everything. Worked great, she got exactly what she wanted and I never had to step foot in a single store.

In hindsight though, the perfect ring would have been this one.

I let my gf build the exact ring she wants on blue Nile. I have a buddy that knows wholesalers, but at least now I know what to go off of.

Congratulations you poor, dumb *******.

Oh man, in the old days Dentist would have had a field day in this thread. Talk of getting married, spending $ on a diamond, taking out loans to pay for the diamond.

His head may have exploded.

I have financed a few of these guys, cash is king. When i bought my wife's diamond I went to a couple of places I financed down in the LA diamond district. I bought a loose diamond (3.53 d si1) radiant. Honestly, I paid less than half of retail. I had 100 bills,just like buying a car, the guy new I was serious and that he would not have to pay tax on the sale (nor did I). Look at a ton of loose diamonds. You will get a feel for what you want. Stay far away from brick and mortar buildings. If they have a TV commercial you are paying way too much. Get the setting built separately and pay cash.
These are some good points. I hadn't thought about paying with cash to save on tax.

I also hadn't thought about getting the stone and the setting separately. :noob:

I let my gf build the exact ring she wants on blue Nile. I have a buddy that knows wholesalers, but at least now I know what to go off of.
I'm tempted to do this as well. Neither of us know much about the stats of stones and rings so this would take the guesswork out of things. Kinda unromantic... but that ship has sailed. :P

I'm tempted to do this as well. Neither of us know much about the stats of stones and rings so this would take the guesswork out of things. Kinda unromantic... but that ship has sailed. :P
I went this route because I know nothing about rings and she didn't really know exactly what she liked other than she didn't want it look like an old grandmas ring.

Turns out she's into platinum, round diamonds in a halo setting. It was kind of fun sitting with her and seeing what she liked. Now I'll be able to price check and know exactly which styles to focus on. I only plan on buying a ring one time in my life and I'd rather make sure she's 100% happy.

I let my now fiancee build design exactly what she wanted with a custom jewelry shop down the street from our house. Worked out well.

I let my now fiancee build design exactly what she wanted with a custom jewelry shop down the street from our house. Worked out well.
In the absence of that, many places will let you buy the stone and have it temporarily set it in a pretty generic setting. Once you give it to her, then you go back and let her pick out the actual ring she wants and they mount the diamond on the "real" ring. That's what I did and a few buddies as well. Seems to be a good way to go if she hasn't made it clear exactly what she wants ahead of time.

I went very non traditional, but figure I will share my story anyway.

Girlfriend and I were living together about three years and it was obvious we would get married when we could afford it (early 20s). We found a guy who sold loose stones and met with him to pick the stone.

My girlfriend then drew up a sketch of the setting she wanted. I put a downpayment on it to hold the stone, and he would make it when I could afford to buy it.

I started up my ring fund, and because she picked a rather expensive stone she even contributed to it. I think she ended up paying for about 15 percent of the ring (somewhat irrelevant since we were living together for so long at that point).

It was still a surprise because she didnt know when I would do it (about 4 months sooner than she thought) and she got the exact ring she wanted.

Edit: this was 15 years ago...looks like this approach is more common now. I also paid cash.

What shape does your GF want? Without knowing your budget, here are my tips:

Buy only a GIA graded stone with report.

Cut is most important of the 4 C's

Best value will usually be in G-H color range with SI1 clarity (eye clean). I-J color can start to show faint yellow.

Flouresence is not a bad thing and will lower the price, as well as make lower color diamonds look whiter.

Round shape is easiest to pick based on paper numbers if you buy online. Fancy shapes like ovals really need to be evaluated in person.

Some diamonds are rare (pink, flawless, etc.) but are super expensive.

Pricescope.com is a great source of information. Like FBG for diamonds.

Lastly, don't get married if you are under 30. Hold out until at least 35 if possible. You will be able to afford a better ring then too.

Good luck!
:goodposting: I always thought the "hearts and arrows" cuts were cool but you pay a premium for them and your really can't see the image without a scope. I would stay away from the "100 facet" cuts that became popular about 5-7 years ago. EGL ratings will tend to be inflated a little bit over the AGS and GIA ratings which are more strict. Blue Nile is a reputable site. Go look at loose diamonds in the stores to get a feel for what the difference is between different specs (cut, color, etc). You should be able to look at the rating sheet and see most of the imperfections with a loupe. Take them over by a window to look at them under natural light (easier to do at a store that is not in a mall). The high wattage counter lights will make a bad diamond look better. A bad diamond will look bad in natural light. Try to find a very well cut diamond and then your "candidate" diamond and compare them in natural light. The good one will still look good under natural light. Consider a 6-prong setting instead of 4-prong setting as the diamond (assuming round cut) will be more secure if one of the prongs break or become loose. The stores in the malls will tend to be most expensive. You mentioned you two were rather practical but you might want to man up a little bit for the future...you probably aren't buying another one (assuming you don't get divorced/remarried) unless you do an upgrade around 25 + year anniversary.

My advice would be to not care about the clarity ratings and all that BS. If the stone looks good to the naked eye that should be sufficient...nobody's going to be examining your girls ring under a jewelers loop
Exactly. If you are going wtih a yellow gold band you will get a LOT of flexibility on the color, too.

In general, with a platinum ring, the larger the diamond the more important inclusions are going to be in my opinion. I think you should be able to go down to an I in color and an SI1 for inclusions and be just fine. Go for the diamond that is just under a carat and say it is a carat or just under 2 carats and say it is 2 carats, etc.

There are something called clarity enhanced diamonds. Yehuda makes them. My gf had doubts about it and we saw them in person and she couldn't tell the difference between regular diamonds and the clarity enhanced diamonds. Completely changed her perspective.

True Story: Know a girl that works as waitress at a high end hotel and has a side job as a makeup artist. Probably makes 45-50k a year. Boyfriend who she wants to marry is going to school, and probably makes 20k. She was in a convo with my gf about rings and stuff. This ##### says she expects a ring the price of a car. I said to her, "you mean like the price of a beat up used car, right?" She says, "No, like a low end car. In the $30,000 range." :shock: I told my girlfriend she's ####### nuts and I hope she doesn't feel the same.
Anyone who is marrying a girl who has this experience should think twice, thrice and a fourth and fifth time as well.
Oh I agree 100%. She's also had probably $20,000 worth of plastic surgery/injections done, so that should prob be the first red flag for him.
Good lord... any moron who puts a ring on that should be shot... cops will file it as a mercy killing. :lol:

True Story: Know a girl that works as waitress at a high end hotel and has a side job as a makeup artist. Probably makes 45-50k a year. Boyfriend who she wants to marry is going to school, and probably makes 20k. She was in a convo with my gf about rings and stuff. This ##### says she expects a ring the price of a car. I said to her, "you mean like the price of a beat up used car, right?" She says, "No, like a low end car. In the $30,000 range." :shock: I told my girlfriend she's ####### nuts and I hope she doesn't feel the same.
Anyone who is marrying a girl who has this experience should think twice, thrice and a fourth and fifth time as well.
Oh I agree 100%. She's also had probably $20,000 worth of plastic surgery/injections done, so that should prob be the first red flag for him.
Good lord... any moron who puts a ring on that should be shot... cops will file it as a mercy killing. :lol:
I wonder how much debt some poor sap is going to be on the hook for with that chick. You know that she has designer everything paid for on her trusty CC.

Oh believe me... :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread