What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I want to buy a Honda Pilot (BOUGHT Acura Integra ASpec-Tech) tomorrow.... (1 Viewer)

When I email dealers they won't give a price.....typical response is to set an appt, can't give you best price unless you're here, your leverage is showing up, blah blah blah.

Buying a car is such a PITA
As others said, start the process with TrueCar...you'll get price quote emails from the dealers to start with, and then can shop those quotes to others. I'm not sure if you're actually around NYC, but virtually every dealership out here has a dedicated "internet customer service manager" who handles these.

I encountered a couple that wouldn't provide a lower price other than what is quoted on their web page, but fortunately there were many that did. Some times the dealership emails went to my spam folder, but that was easily corrected. I think on a couple dealers, I had to call and simply ask for the internet sales person.

When I email dealers they won't give a price.....typical response is to set an appt, can't give you best price unless you're here, your leverage is showing up, blah blah blah.

fightingchance.com

Leased a 2015 Pilot EX-L with rear DVD

0 down for 36mon 12,000miles

will be my 1st lease

Very roomy and handles well

Had it for a week.

So far so good.

fightingchance.com
Oh...$40 for a book that I have to read.....that makes buying a car much less of a PITA :rolleyes:
It's great. Will make it extremely simple and you'll have complete peace of mind

Why not just provide the bulletpoints of what's in the plan? Or is it Mike Damone "Men have died trying to obtain this information" top secret?

Why not just provide the bulletpoints of what's in the plan? Or is it Mike Damone "Men have died trying to obtain this information" top secret?
im going to be completly honest, despite the guy above, it is one of the best and cheapest things you will buy to negotiate the price of a vehicle. Out of respect for that, ill paraphrase the general idea. You will want to pay the money for specific vehicle related things anywayMost car dealerships recieve bonuses for cars that they sell. Some of these bonuses are in the millions. So the idea is to contact 10-15 dealerships by phone. Be straight up with them and tell them you will be buying a vehicle by Friday. However, you are contacting a limited number of dealers and would they like to be included. Most will say yes based on past experiences. You finish up with great, ill send you.an email later today. You then send every email contact the same letter telling them you will be buying from the lowest offer and will give each dealer one chance to beat it. The price must be an out the door price will all sales tax and charges included. So if you brought cash, you would bring exact change. They will either email you a price or call. You go with the lowest one without ever stepping into a store

Like I said, I did this and got close to 3,000 under invoice. One dealer said there was zero way I was geting.it for that price and said it was a lemon. 9 years and 150,000 miles later says otherwise. When we asked the guy we bought from, he said it was worth the loss for him. Never have an anount the bonus was, but Im sure it was at least 50,000.

So there it is in a nutshell. I'm starting my "attack" on wednesday. Maybe.ill keep this updated for my GMC Acadia.

Just sent out my email to 6 dealerships. Never stepped foot into one of them and I expect to have 6 offers by the end of tomorrow

Once guy admitted that he needed two more cars for a huge month and was very aggressive in his questions. Not rudely, but you could tell he wants to sell the car. He said he would come in as the lowest. I guess we will see

:popcorn:

im going to be completly honest, despite the guy above, it is one of the best and cheapest things you will buy to negotiate the price of a vehicle. Out of respect for that, ill paraphrase the general idea. You will want to pay the money for specific vehicle related things anywayMost car dealerships recieve bonuses for cars that they sell. Some of these bonuses are in the millions. So the idea is to contact 10-15 dealerships by phone. Be straight up with them and tell them you will be buying a vehicle by Friday. However, you are contacting a limited number of dealers and would they like to be included. Most will say yes based on past experiences. You finish up with great, ill send you.an email later today. You then send every email contact the same letter telling them you will be buying from the lowest offer and will give each dealer one chance to beat it. The price must be an out the door price will all sales tax and charges included. So if you brought cash, you would bring exact change. They will either email you a price or call. You go with the lowest one without ever stepping into a store

Like I said, I did this and got close to 3,000 under invoice. One dealer said there was zero way I was geting.it for that price and said it was a lemon. 9 years and 150,000 miles later says otherwise. When we asked the guy we bought from, he said it was worth the loss for him. Never have an anount the bonus was, but Im sure it was at least 50,000.

So there it is in a nutshell. I'm starting my "attack" on wednesday. Maybe.ill keep this updated for my GMC Acadia.
This is probably worthy of its own thread. Could save some FBGs boatloads.

As others said, start the process with TrueCar...you'll get price quote emails from the dealers to start with, and then can shop those quotes to others. I'm not sure if you're actually around NYC, but virtually every dealership out here has a dedicated "internet customer service manager" who handles these.
I did start with TrueCar, out of the ~20 Ford dealerships(looking for an explorer) in Buffalo only 1 participates with truecar. The next closest dealership is 60 miles away. I LOVE the truecar concept but it needs more dealerships to be effective(at least in my area)

Let me know if you need an x plan PIN for the Explorer. You can sk the deler if the helps - most are probably selling below that at this point in the month.

We're looking to replace our 2007 Odyssey and we have 3 kids so need 3rd row seating. My wife has no interest in buying another minivan after driving one for the past 15 years. We are definitely looking at Pilots but interested to see if there are other models we should be considering.
I bought a 2012 Acadia after we were done with our Town&Country minivan. I test drove a Pilot, Highlander, Traverse, and Enclave along with the Acadia. I liked the Acadia as it had a little more leg room in all three rows, 2nd row bucket seats, and still plenty of room to haul our sports gear (baseball, soccer, track, coolers, etc). We didn't lose any room moving from a minivan to the Acadia and it has a much nicer ride. I felt the Highlander was too small and didn't like the boxiness of the Pilot. The Traverse and Enclave are very similar to the Acadia, but didn't have the 2nd row bucket seats, nor did they have the extended room in the back.

I really wanted a Yukon, but the wife felt that was excessive. The Acadia was a good compromise for us.
We looked at the Acadia and wanted to like it, but it just felt way small. Went with the Yukon and already used to the space and wishing we had gone with the XL length (a la the suburban).

Had a dealer down to 36,775 on a loaded 4x4 2015 touring last weekend. I walked. Received 3 more calls that day. Received another email today about the special Memorial Day sale.
What was my number? 35400 I think. Or 34500, lol.

Does the fightingchance bit work for used cars? Any tips on negotiating those down?
Pretty much only for new

I didnt have a chance to make a new thread yet

Unfortunately, I didnt get any knock my socks off offers like I did the last time. They are still coming back a little under invoice, which is OK, but not what I expected. The next round begins today and we will see if anyone can beat the best offer

The bidding war is now on. I just had a guy drop his price almost $1000. Now I need to be patient and hope I can do even better on the guy who offered initial cheapest price.

The bidding war is now on. I just had a guy drop his price almost $1000. Now I need to be patient and hope I can do even better on the guy who offered initial cheapest price.
Maybe because its the end of the month. Also, email a dealer over the state line and tell them you did. Also tell them your wife wants a Toyota. Watch how fast they come back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe because its the end of the month. Also, email a dealer over the state line and tell them you did. Also tell them your wife wants a Toyota. Watch how fast they come back to you.
I think I just negotiated the best price I am going to get. It is either at or just under invoice which is all you can ask for. I need to calculate it after I close the deal

I think I just negotiated the best price I am going to get. It is either at or just under invoice which is all you can ask for. I need to calculate it after I close the deal
Can you ask the guy if he knows how to shut the sound off to the truck closing?

Im getting a GMC. Ill ask him if he knows anything about Hondas

I can't even find it on teh Lougle.

2016s are out and getting good reviews so far - http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/honda_pilot_2016

Pretty sure we're going to get one, but are deciding which package. A few questions for those who have 3 row vehicles and/or Honda Products:

1. How crucial are captain seats? We only have 2 kids, so using the 3rd row will be minimal. Honda has introduced the "one touch push button" for the 2nd row to slide up that looks pretty slick.

2. Is Navigation necessary since most people have phones?

2016s are out and getting good reviews so far - http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/honda_pilot_2016

Pretty sure we're going to get one, but are deciding which package. A few questions for those who have 3 row vehicles and/or Honda Products:

1. How crucial are captain seats? We only have 2 kids, so using the 3rd row will be minimal. Honda has introduced the "one touch push button" for the 2nd row to slide up that looks pretty slick.

1) Probably not crucial.

2) Navigation is a complete waste of money. Phone FTW imo

You should CC every dealership on one email.

FBG thoughts on buying a used rental vehicle?
I'm guessing this question is stale at this point but my extended family has purchased 10 cars from Enterprise over the last 15 years and have had great luck with them.

My wife bought a 2000 Dodge intrepid about two weeks after 9/11. 20K miles standard upgrades typical rental car. The market had collapsed with the rest of the economy so she picked it up for $18K and that was after getting $3K for a beat up car that wasn't worth $500 for parts. Just a great deal.

In my driveway is a 2009 Volvo XC70. This is well appointed and had 30K miles on it. We picked it up for $23.5 and got a good trade in value. she has 124K miles on her now and my only complaint is the sun roof craped out last year and its $2K to fix.

We got a 2014 - 10,000 mile Honda Pilot this weekend. I think I am going to like this thing. Bench second row, but I think I would have preferred the bucket second row. I think we got a good enough deal but didn't use the plan and wife and I are terrible at negotiating.

Lumpy19 is right, buying a car is a PITA. I should pay somebody to do this for me.

Regarding the capts seats

We needed to get it bc we have a dog and she lays in between the seats on long rides.

If I did not have the dog, I wouldn't need it. HOWEVER, both my kids love it. They say they prefer it to normal seats.

1) Probably not crucial.

With you on the navigation.

We had it in our other car by the time my wife got the the screen to input the address I already it had it on my phone and was driving away.

This pilot we had to decide between navigation or DVD

I was on fence with DVD being kids play with ipads and such but after thinking about how much of a PITA it is to use the navigation in the car I opted for the DVD

Glad I did.

1) Probably not crucial.

With you on the navigation.

We had it in our other car by the time my wife got the the screen to input the address I already it had it on my phone and was driving away.

This pilot we had to decide between navigation or DVD

I was on fence with DVD being kids play with ipads and such but after thinking about how much of a PITA it is to use the navigation in the car I opted for the DVD

Glad I did.
I find Nav to be much better than DVD - but how old are your kids? My youngest just turned 7 but we haven't bought a DVD in 3+ years.

I use the voice activated Nav in my vehicle when I am already driving. I don't like to work apps on my iPhone while on the highway.

Test driving one tonight
Let me know how she rides, price and package. The guy has been calling me non stop since I told him I wanted to drive the 16 compared to the 15. Starting to lean towards Yukon/Tahoe....

My sis had captains chairs in her Tahoe. I loved it if I had to get in the 3rd row but it was still kind of like crawling through a tunnel.

Test driving one tonight
Let me know how she rides, price and package. The guy has been calling me non stop since I told him I wanted to drive the 16 compared to the 15. Starting to lean towards Yukon/Tahoe....

My sis had captains chairs in her Tahoe. I loved it if I had to get in the 3rd row but it was still kind of like crawling through a tunnel.
I loved it. Drove this and the 15 Acadia tonight. I like the Pilot hands down. I just looked at pricing on the website and the EX-L fits our needs best. They're not going to be a lot for sale for a while..our closest dealership said they only expect a few in July. No big deal for us, b/c I think we bought ourselves some time.

Much more space than the 15 (I like the 16 look better too, but I know others don't).

Test driving one tonight

I loved it. Drove this and the 15 Acadia tonight. I like the Pilot hands down. I just looked at pricing on the website and the EX-L fits our needs best. They're not going to be a lot for sale for a while..our closest dealership said they only expect a few in July. No big deal for us, b/c I think we bought ourselves some time.

Much more space than the 15 (I like the 16 look better too, but I know others don't).
Check Team in BR

ragincajun said:
Tiger Fan said:
ragincajun said:
Tiger Fan said:
Test driving one tonight

Check Team in BR
I'll be waiting until the inventory gets bigger all around so I can (possibly) get a better deal. They only had 1 on the lot and had sold all their pre-orders already where I test drove in Metairie

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread