What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ideas to sort of spice of your league (1 Viewer)

chasyone

Footballguy
I run a 10 team, 2 keeper league, standard scoring, no ppr and no negative points. 18 man roster. Can’t keep anyone drafted rounds 1-6. Only have to give up draft pick for keeper(can keep forever, just give up pick). Draft following year based on how you finish but do have lottery for non playoff teams to avoid tanking. 

I’m always looking for new ideas to keep people interested in the league and making it fun but also competitive and not getting to out of control with crazy rules etc  

Whats some things you do in your league that’s not the norm and makes your league fun?

Add PPR and negative points. It sounds like your scoring is very vanilla.
Yes I agree on some ways. I have this league for about 15 years now and had the same scoring. It’s fantasy so I didn’t want to give negative points but thought maybe next year just doing -1 for INTs and fumbles. The 9 other owners arent fans of ppr. I’m not really either but wouldn’t be against 1/2 point ppr. We have tweaked things over the years but nothing too crazy. We added a flex only 3 years ago. I do draft kings and thought maybe of doing a lineup like they do 3WRs or maybe just doing away with our kickers and adding a 3rd WR to our starting lineup 

PPR was launched way back when RB's were dominating the draft board.  There's really no reason to have it anymore - people just get giddy about more points.  

My home league (redraft) does a losers bracket during the playoffs for draft position. The winner of the toilet bowl gets pick #1. Playoff teams will get picks 7-12 and non-playoff teams will get picks 1-6. So there's no incentive to throw games.

We also draw for new divisions every 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
My home league (redraft) does a losers bracket during the playoffs for draft position. The winner of the toilet bowl gets pick #1. We also draw for new divisions every 3 years.
have something similar for new division where one team from each division switch divisions each year. but his is the right idea imo, winning teams don't have trouble staying interested. it's the losing teams that will. also, if owners are not "hardcore" enough to keep up each year, would do away with keepers altogether. having forever keepers take away from value of the draft, taking away from that #1 pick meaning as much as it could.

Me league:

Doubleheaders

Victory points

NFL PickEm: every win against the spread is $10 in waiver wire money. All teams start out with $100.

NFL Playoff Tournament $400 of pot money goes for a separate NFL Playoff tournament. Each team keeps 3 players from its regular season roster. Draft order is based on scores during week 17. We essentially extend the fantasy season for 5 weeks.

Playoffs: Top 2 scores advance to Finals. Not head to head. Makes the Monday night game crazy since the top 2 spots usually get sorted out in the last game. Since we started this, the teams 3 teams are usually separated by 2 points.

We use IDPs.

Most/half of us get together 1-2 times a season to watch the games.

Those are some of the main things off the top of my head.

In our 16-team league, the 10 non-playoff teams compete for the right to choose their draft position for the next season. The top 8 scorers in week 1 of the playoffs advance to week 2, then the scores reset and the top 4 scorers from week 2 advance to week 3. Week 3's top scorer then gets to choose their draft position in the next year's draft. This helps keep everyone active and engaged as everyone has something to play for, even the teams that are already out of playoff contention at this point of the season. 

Auction -  Nothing better than a live draft. When two or three guys really want someone the room can get crazy.

.8 per 10 yds for WR/TE - Makes RB’s more equal to WR’s/ good TE’s.

2 person keeper on players you won the auction on.  Max 2 years.

1 transition player -  Blind bid auction that you have the right to match.

5 round rookie draft with set $ based on round.  Makes trading legitimate, assuming you have honest owners.  

Rookie transitions for each rookie brought up. 

Blind bidding not only speeds up the process, but puts pressure on other owners to be prepared.  It’s great when you can get a deal or someone way overestimates the market.

What we do in our dynasty league is we have the #3 playoff seed choose his opponent between #4-6 seeds.  Then the following week the #1 seed (who got a bye the prior week) gets to choose his opponent of all remaining seeds, including the #2 seed.  Kind of creates some additional hype with guys feeling like the were chosen because they are the weakest team.  Something simple, but it adds a bit of drama and maybe that’s all you need rather than changing scoring rules.

High score each week in our league wins $50 and lower score each week owes $25

The best thing our league does though is each week a different owner writes a preview of the upcoming games. Often times a breakdown of the games is an afterthought. Folks will write about any number of interesting topics and it is something everyone in our league looks forward to each week.

Our Commish writes up a results email every Tuesday morning as well.

At the end of every season each owner had the opportunity to write up new rule proposals and we all vote on whether to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread