What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Alabama And Clemson Played Again Next Week... (1 Viewer)

If Alabama were to face Clemson next Monday night on a neutral field, who wins and by how much?

• Clemson by 5 points or more

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • Clemson by 1-4 points

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Alabama by 1-4 points

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Alabama by 5 points or more

Votes: 11 11.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
If Alabama were to face Clemson next Monday night on a neutral field, who wins and by how much?

I wanna say saban would come up with an adjustment but...at HT i would have assumed saban would have adjusted and performed better. Instead they got shutout

Last edited by a moderator:
Clemson didn’t win because of lucky plays or fluke situations. Anyone suggesting Alabama would win is either a homer or fishing. 
I am neither but I think Alabama has a better overall team. I just think they got punched in the mouth last night and it was not something they were used to and able to overcome.

I am neither but I think Alabama has a better overall team. I just think they got punched in the mouth last night and it was not something they were used to and able to overcome.
They were punched in the mouth by Georgia 2 games ago.

Clemson was/is the better team this season.

This is goofy to me. Bama got outcoached, outschemed, and outplayed.  It started before the Clemson game too - when they started playing good teams at the end of the season, they got bashed on defense. 

Bama’s defense on the year: 4.7 yards given up per play

Bama vs UGA - 5.5 YPP

Bama vs OU - 6.5 YPP

Bama vs Clemson - 7.7 YPP

Bama did leave many points on the field but Clemson was more physical, faster, and just the better team.  For sure it would be much closer in a rematch but still see  34-24 34-27 Clemson win.

Teams like Bama are used to being the bully and dictating the play.  They have no idea what it is like to play from behind the whole game by 2 scores. After the botched fake FG Bama had no energy and was getting dominated instead of fighting back.

Clemson didn’t win because of lucky plays or fluke situations. Anyone suggesting Alabama would win is either a homer or fishing. 
Big Orange fan here. If Syracuse had a run defense, and/or could have stopped Clemson from getting a 4th and long conversion, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Clemson has a great team, no question, but if they play Alabama 10 times Alabama wins 7 of them IMO. Bama just looked uncharacteristically flat last night.

Big Orange fan here. If Syracuse had a run defense, and/or could have stopped Clemson from getting a 4th and long conversion, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Clemson has a great team, no question, but if they play Alabama 10 times Alabama wins 7 of them IMO. Bama just looked uncharacteristically flat last night.
Yeah if a team could have played defense, the score might have been different. 

I seriously have no idea how you could watch the whole season and then that game and say Bama wins 7 out of 10.  Bama could/should have lost to UGA and  Clemson rolled them.  I will say I have faith that Saban would make some adjustments and make the game(s) closer but Bama got beat in the trenches - you don’t X and O away from that 70% of the time.

What do you mean?  That Bama would not have to play Clemson?

.Clemson has a great team, no question, but if they play Alabama 10 times Alabama wins 7 of them IMO. Bama just looked uncharacteristically flat last night.
I saw a lot more Alabama than Clemson this year but from what I saw, I'd think Alabama wins less than half the games. . Clemson did have some breaks go their way but they looked like the much better team.

Alabama had a few down games but came back, that wasn't happening last night.

If Trevor Lawrence would have been playing the entire first month instead of the rotation with Kelly Bryant then Clemson probably steamrolls Syracuse too.  Either way, their third string freshman QB came in and drove the field twice to beat Syracuse which is another sign of a good team.

It's kind of ridiculous to say if Clemson played their worst game and Alabama played their normal game then Bama wins 7 times.  That's like saying if Clemson played their best game and the Alabama team that played the Citadel in the first half showed up then Clemson wins by 50.   The bottom line is both teams showed up mostly healthy and played on the field and Clemson was bigger, stronger, faster and better.  There's nothing that suggests Bama would beat them 7 of 10.   Tua looked like poo the last two games playing top 5 teams.   Lawrence looked like a future hall of famer against Bama.

What do you mean?  That Bama would not have to play Clemson?

First let me say I was rooting for Clemson. I'm no fan of Saban and have Bama-fatigue. I just think if Clemson had lost to Syracuse, Ohio State might have slid into their spot. Just a WAG on my part.

Clemson still wins by 10+. Are we also suggesting that they might get Dexter Lawrence back too?

They stomped Bama without one of their best defenders so while it could be a little closer, it’s still a significant margin again. 

First let me say I was rooting for Clemson. I'm no fan of Saban and have Bama-fatigue. I just think if Clemson had lost to Syracuse, Ohio State might have slid into their spot. Just a WAG on my part.
I did not care who won.   But those type of games happen during a season.  OSU should have lost 2 more than they did (not to Michigan)..but they ended up winning.

In one game championships, sometimes the best team doesn't win. History is full of examples of this. Clemson is a great team though and may win again if they played. From what I saw all year long though, I believe Alabama was the better team. It doesn't matter though, Clemson is the champion and they did earn it.

Had a friend send me this:

To be clear, Clemson is awesome. They're right up there with Alabama, which is saying something, because no one else is. That said...

For the first three quarters of last night's game, Bama was the better team except for a handful of plays. I get that those plays happened and they count and Clemson is the rightful champion. But if you're asking me who would win a game next week, I'll take the team that controlled the game over the one that capitalized on a few big plays.

In one game championships, sometimes the best team doesn't win. History is full of examples of this. Clemson is a great team though and may win again if they played. From what I saw all year long though, I believe Alabama was the better team. It doesn't matter though, Clemson is the champion and they did earn it.
Clemson was far and away the better team and it wasn't even close.  Coaching continuity, elite talent and the best QB in football.  Seriously, that freshman QB is the best player in college football right now and he's playing with the best WRs in the country.  Line them up again in a week and the outcome is even worse. 

Bama is Mike Tyson, winning most games before they even kickoff.  Clemson isn't afraid of Bama at all and it shows.  There is no intimidation factor, just like the mystique for Tyson vanished when Buster Douglas knocked him out.  Bama will intimidate the rest of the SEC, but they don't scare Clemson. 

Good lord. So basically except for every play in the game, Bama was the better team.  I find it especially funny that he excluded the 4th quarter when Clemson ran all over Bama for a 10:13 second drive just to kneel down and run out the clock to save them from losing 51-16. 

He's not right at all.  Look at the stats.  Total yards belonged to Clemson.  Turnover margin won by Clemson.  3rd down efficiency 10/15 for Clemson vs 4/13 Bama.  Bama was penalized 6 to 1.  Time of possession was slightly in Bama's favor 31/28.  On what planet did Bama control that game?

I cant vote in this joe bryant because we dont know what bowl this is or why the ncaa would allow 2 games like this back to back. The whole thing seems nonsensical.

@General Malaise  In a rematch next week, who wins and by how much?

Bonus question for you: If Alabama - Clemson could magically play a 7 game series over 7 weeks, who wins and by how many?

He's not right at all.  Look at the stats.  Total yards belonged to Clemson.  Turnover margin won by Clemson.  3rd down efficiency 10/15 for Clemson vs 4/13 Bama.  Bama was penalized 6 to 1.  Time of possession was slightly in Bama's favor 31/28.  On what planet did Bama control that game?
Obviously you’re forgetting those 2 minutes where Bama had the lead by 2 points.  The other 58 minutes don’t count. 

Do we do this every time there’s a championship?  Is this some weird Bama thing?

Im a falcons fan. I wish the Patriots never came back after being down 28-3, but I also didn’t see people obsessing over what would have happened if the game magically didn’t occur and we played multiple other times. We got beat in that game, end of story. 

Your friend should have watched the MNF guys in real-time.  They fileted the Bama guys the whole game.  Sagan got flat out...out-coached and they simply got abused in the WR-DB face-off when Clemson had the ball.  Clemson’s defense also managed to confuse Tau all night and managed to take away the slant for much of the game.  

Do we do this every time there’s a championship?  Is this some weird Bama thing?

Im a falcons fan. I wish the Patriots never came back after being down 28-3, but I also didn’t see people obsessing over what would have happened if the game magically didn’t occur and we played multiple other times. We got beat in that game, end of story. 
I don't think it's an Alabama thing. I think it's happens quite a bit in single game (ie non series) elimination game when people discuss if the game was an accurate representation of the two teams. I heard people talking about the same thing after the Eagles - Bears game. :shrug:

Clemson was far and away the better team and it wasn't even close.  Coaching continuity, elite talent and the best QB in football.  Seriously, that freshman QB is the best player in college football right now and he's playing with the best WRs in the country.  Line them up again in a week and the outcome is even worse. 

Bama is Mike Tyson, winning most games before they even kickoff.  Clemson isn't afraid of Bama at all and it shows.  There is no intimidation factor, just like the mystique for Tyson vanished when Buster Douglas knocked him out.  Bama will intimidate the rest of the SEC, but they don't scare Clemson. 
Ross just abused the Bama corners all night with NFL level moves off the line and his ability to leverage off of that release.  Made the QBs job easy (and you have to give him a ton of credit for hanging in their and taking some of those hits).

Let me rephrase Joe's question:

Clemson and Alabama magically decide to play again in two weeks. I hand you $5000, under the following conditions: You have to set your own line for the rematch (you cannot look at any other line that's set), and people are allowed to wager with you on your line. You can charge -110 juice on the line, but you have to put the whole $5k in play using your own line. So the better the line, the more money you recoup.

Where do you set the line for game 2?

I wanna say saban would come up with an adjustment but...at HT i would have assumed saban would have adjusted and performed better. Instead they got shutout
Saban losing to the same team twice is hard to image.

However, the defining aspect of the matchup IMO was how Venerbles used Bama and Tua's tenancies to be aggressive.  Many of Tua's best throws were when he anticipated the WR's break.  Both key interceptions were about Clemson's DBs doing that.  I don't think that is something they could fix in a week.  

Two other things surprised me, but cancel out.  That was Bama's confusion in the secondary and how much success they had running against Clemson.  That aspect would be interesting.  

Any reversal of fortune for this would rely on a big difference in coaching and QB play.  The inevitable matchup next year will be interesting :lol:  

Are we taking in the information of the game played Monday for both teams?  Was that game played in your question?

Probably need to read the thread.

Okay, I think it is just an unfair question.  In very unique situations do you play a team two weeks in a row in football, college or pro.  

So, this question has less to do with players and more to do with coaching.  So if coaching is involved in this answer, it is not a fair question.  

My question would be, did they know they were playing twice or a best of 3?  Because that changes the question drastically.

Okay, I think it is just an unfair question.  In very unique situations do you play a team two weeks in a row in football, college or pro.  

So, this question has less to do with players and more to do with coaching.  So if coaching is involved in this answer, it is not a fair question.  

My question would be, did they know they were playing twice or a best of 3?  Because that changes the question drastically.
Good point.  You see it fairly often in the NFL, take the Ravens-Chargers for example.  A series as opposed to single game makes a big difference as you see in other sports

I don't think it's an Alabama thing. I think it's happens quite a bit in single game (ie non series) elimination game when people discuss if the game was an accurate representation of the two teams. I heard people talking about the same thing after the Eagles - Bears game. :shrug:
It often happens when a team misses a make-able game winning FG. It doesn't usually happen when a team loses by 28. 

Good point.  You see it fairly often in the NFL, take the Ravens-Chargers for example.  A series as opposed to single game makes a big difference as you see in other sports
Take the Ravens example one step further.  If the know they were playing this week, the Chargers would start with 7 db's again.  Once the Ravens proved they solved it, the would have a back up D strategy installed to take over.  

This was the worst D Saban had at Bama. If OU would have showed up in the first quarter, they’d have won. 

I underestimated Clemson because their schedule was ####, I saw them play Cuse, and the ACC was gross. 

That said, they were the superior team. Clemson recruits amazing D lineman and Lawrence and Ross are just insane good. I think Clemson wins a seven game series vs Bama 4-1. 

What did Alabama average on the ground, 8 yards a carry? 

When you have numbers like those you win most of the time. Clemson did nearly everything right but I think Alabama wins 6-7 out of 10. 

@General Malaise  In a rematch next week, who wins and by how much?

Bonus question for you: If Alabama - Clemson could magically play a 7 game series over 7 weeks, who wins and by how many?
If they played next week after the drubbing Clemson handed down?  Same sort of result, maybe closer if Bama limits turnovers and stupid fake FGs.  

How does Bama stop Clemson's passing attack?  What keeps Tua from being gun shy after a game like last night where he got pulled for the backup?  Who on Bama's staff is coaching better right now than Brent Venables?  

Clemson made Bama their own personal hand puppet and would do it again next week and in a 7 game series.  

What did Alabama average on the ground, 8 yards a carry? 

When you have numbers like those you win most of the time. Clemson did nearly everything right but I think Alabama wins 6-7 out of 10. 
Bama averaged 4.0 yards per carry while Clemson averaged 4.4, it took me less than 30 seconds to look this up. Please keep your lazy and uninformed posting in the cozy confines of the politics forum, thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread