What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Kubiak Becomes HOU HC (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
or not... if carr gets traded & they draft young...more likely he stays... if kubiak turns him around, the team could have some nice assets... if they keep him, that most likely means they draft bush... who could quickly emerge as one of the most skilled and talented receiving RBs in NFL... young marshall faulk is maybe unfair comparison... but he is the real deal...'dre johnson has top 5 physical tools... he is as big & strong as TO and faster (a LOT faster... big east indoor 60 m & outdoor 100 m champ)...bush was also a speed merchant... among fastest prep sprinters in stat of CA... jerome mathis was very raw as a WR with small school pedigree, but was pro bowl-level returner immediately, has been called maybe the fastest player in the NFL (extending the speed merchant theme)...all i have conveniently left out of the equation is they could use a real OL... i think i read (maybe in sharkpool/coaching thread) that he might bring DEN OL coach to be the OC... he would have been indocrinated in alex gibbs system (since moved on to ATL)... guess that spells lots of cut blocks for AFC south division rival defenders... i don't think respected RB coach bobby turner is coming...* and their defense is nothing special, so their may be pressure on the offense to score a lot for... the next couple years or so... kubiak's broncos background suggests he will want to & try hard to establish the run... but due to lack of an accomplished run blocking line or a defense... circumstances may dictate that he emphasize the pass, & be forced to set up the run with the pass more...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is all but signed sealed and delivered - the first weekday after the Broncos lose - or win the Bowl - is when I believe this will be announced officially.

or not... if carr gets traded & they draft young...
The Texans will be overpaying for Carr so I doubt that he is tradable, but the demand for QBs should be going up with all the injuries.

This is merely speculation, but I would think that if Kubiak has any say in who the Texans draft, he'll opt to trade down and take Ferguson, and likely a few more linemen to boot. Houson's philosophy should be to start with the line and work up from there, and I think Kubiak is smart enough to realize this. If he employs a similar offense to the one that Denver runs, a strong O line will be key. Dom Davis will be more than capable of getting the job done in that kind of scheme and David Carr's mobility will certainly be a plus. (Of course, I'm sure Vince Young's mobility is also enticing, but I just can't see Kubiak spending the first overall pick on such a high risk player, assuming he has a say in it)

The Texans will be overpaying for Carr so I doubt that he is tradable, but the demand for QBs should be going up with all the injuries.
Once they pay his bonus hes extremely tradeable, its just doubtful the owner will want to trade someone who he just gave $8mil to.

Hy Bob,I've thought Carr would develop into a good QB "anyday now" for a long long while. The line has flat out ruined that. What makes you think it'll be different with Kubiak? When would you give up on Carr?

Once they pay his bonus hes extremely tradeable, its just doubtful the owner will want to trade someone who he just gave $8mil to.
I stand corrected. I forgot that the Texans would still be responsible for covering his bonus.

Whether it's Kubiak, Reeves, Grimm or a re-incarnated Vince Lombardi, David Carr's potential as a sleeper has much more to do with the five guys who pretend to block for him versus who his head coach is. :yes:

Whether it's Kubiak, Reeves, Grimm or a re-incarnated Vince Lombardi, David Carr's potential as a sleeper has much more to do with the five guys who pretend to block for him versus who his head coach is. :yes:
:goodposting: Can't throw on your back.

Coaching can help in some cases but the OL needs players not different schemes.

Is it possible that, as a Houston native, Kubiak gets more of a free pass for trading down and not taking Bush or Young?

Is it possible that, as a Houston native, Kubiak gets more of a free pass for trading down and not taking Bush or Young?
Kubiak will have little to no say in the matter, Casserly makes the calls there. On another note, I think the Texans would have TREMENDOUS difficulty not taking either Bush or Young at this point. If that means trading down and still getting one of them, more power to them. But they'll have created a massive PR nightmare by promising the world Bush was their guy and/or somehow also missing out of local hero Young.

Although getting someone from a place that have invested heavily in the O-Line might propagate that line of thinking in HOU as well.Maybe they have to get rid of Casserley first though...

I don't think they'll get a "free pass" for not somehow ending up w/ Young, let alone not drafting either of those two altogether. :loco:

The Texans will select BUSH and thats that.....maybe we have some domanick owners in these treads but they didnt lose all them games to not get there guy!

And being a hometown Texans fan myself I hate it when people on here always say we need OL. If you watched the games YOU would know the line really isnt the problem.....Not over the last 2 years it hasnt been. Everyone could use an upgrade to there OL and most do in the offseason for better or worse. But IF you had actually sat down and watched every texan game you would see the problem is not the OL.....................its David Carr! He makes the texans look bad and also makes them have ridiculous sack numbers.....for 1: he only goes threw pretty much 1 read....last year he had 2 reads....AJ and DD. This year he has even regresssed even more. After his initial read isnt there he takes the ball down and try and create something. Thats not a true QB.....Farve wouldnt do that. Look at it like this....he never throws that many ints (or gamble throws is what i call em). Most qb's just chunk the ball up for there STUD wr to go and get it.....he did this alittle last year. His throws was off but AJ was out jumping everyone to make nice catches. Well this year he took even less chances...(notice the low int's) Which is good if you a good qb, but he isnt even trying to throw the ball....I noticed when Tony Banks came in he was chunking it......he put the ball up there....and didnt take no sacks or better yet the OL wasnt the problem when he was in there. He knew what the deal was also, but he game in gunslinging. (he also threw a pick that sealed the game for San Fran....... :D (call it like you see it but, all of us texans fans know what that was.) At QB i like Farve/McNair type qb's, they have the confidence to make any throw even if its a bad throw, they have that much confidence in themselves. S.Smith isnt wide open on all of Jake throws....but if you dont throw it out there you dont know what will happen.

Not I DO think Carr maybe can be helped......maybe Kubiak can help him somewhat. its like he's shellshocked. But Capers was to much of a ####i and you are only as strong as your leader....Carr was giving the keys to the city and his pretty boy ### ran with it. He isnt a great leader.....Nice poster boy though. With Kubiak and another explosive option in REGGIE BUSH he should bounce back well.....he should gain more confidence when he see's his numbers jump up out of the roof.....Bush will open up everything. I would have DD at rb for the most of the game (15-18 carries) but Bush would be in as a slot wr while DD is in the backfield...Bush would also get about 12-17 runs a game but i think he would be more leathel as a split out rb/wr. ..Pick ya poison..Bush AJ DD maybe Mathis. Carr isnt a francise qb IMO but most QB's can dump it off to a rb or hit a wr on a slant.

The Texans have 4 of the top 60 picks.....and if you dont think they taking a OL with the top pick in the 2nd round you must dont know my team. They may even use one of there 3rd rounders on a OL and the other on a TE from what im hearing. And to think those real good OL from usc rate out as a 3rd or 4th round pick.....There OL will be addressed just like every offseason the add to or make changes to there line. Weigert is fine so is Pitts....They are growing as a Ol together as a group. No one just consistenly burnt them not even freeney when we played them twice. So some people just dont know WTF the talking about.

You dont pass on DYNAMIC players for some position of need. Especially when brickshaw isnt rated the top lineman in everyone's opinion. Scott maybe better than him to me. Ol can be addressed through FA/Trade or in the 2nd/3rd round. There are no Reggie Bush's in FA or for trade. There or no V.Youngs also.

This is my take on my team.

Although I see Mr. Bush as a really valuable assets to any team (may not be a great fantasy option) but his worth to his team will be unbelieveable.....

with that being said I do feel like V.Young is a bit more valuable....QB's just are, especially the kind of qb he is, when he have the ball in his hand every snap. But taking V.Young is something they wont do cause he would have to sit and learn for a year or 2....not something McNair wants to do and after already drafting prettyboy #1 overall not too long ago its something they wont do even if they can get from under Carr's contract. Vince need to adjust just like most shotgun qb's But he is a natural born leader if you ask me, can make his team wanna play better and rallay around him and for a team without a natural leader (aside from D.Robinson and he's a cb) we need a leader.....and i dont see Bush as that either.He seems like a personal goals type player.

But i will now let those that rant about we need to trade down and take a lineman and miss out on 2 of the most dynamic players in years..

f08e974b.jpg

:D

Not so fast...-- Ricky Williams & a First-Rounder for David Carr? --Mon Jan 16, 2006 --from FFMastermind.comThe New York Daily News reports one rumor circulating has the Miami Dolphins trading RB Ricky Williams and their first-round pick (No.16), to Houston for QB David Carr.

Not so fast...

-- Ricky Williams & a First-Rounder for David Carr? --

Mon Jan 16, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The New York Daily News reports one rumor circulating has the Miami Dolphins trading RB Ricky Williams and their first-round pick (No.16), to Houston for QB David Carr.
:lmao: at Carr bringing in a 1st AND Ricky Williams.

Hopefully Casserly is smart enough to remember that Ricky is one puff of hippie lettuce from being suspended for a year.And yeah, RW and #16 for DCarr is laughable. But if this were true, Vince would definitely be coming to the Texans with the #1.I still think Reggie's the guy for HTown.

Not so fast...

The New York Daily News reports one rumor circulating has the Miami Dolphins trading RB Ricky Williams and their first-round pick (No.16), to Houston for QB David Carr.
:mellow: :o :shock: :headbang: That would be sweet if true.

Kubiak will have little to no say in the matter, Casserly makes the calls there. On another note, I think the Texans would have TREMENDOUS difficulty not taking either Bush or Young at this point. If that means trading down and still getting one of them, more power to them. But they'll have created a massive PR nightmare by promising the world Bush was their guy and/or somehow also missing out of local hero Young.
For those us following closely, while cassely kept his job, there definately has been a change in his role as the final say in all football matters. The first round pick will be Bob McNair's call with input from Casserly, the coach (Kubiak), and probably Reeves. Casserly has one year left on his contract and at minimum someone is looking over his shoulder, if not having out and out responsibility taken from him.

Not so fast...

:lmao: at Carr bringing in a 1st AND Ricky Williams.
Miami is pretty liberal with their draft picks. Remember Feely and Gordon?

For those us following closely, while cassely kept his job, there definately has been a change in his role as the final say in all football matters. The first round pick will be Bob McNair's call with input from Casserly, the coach (Kubiak), and probably Reeves. Casserly has one year left on his contract and at minimum someone is looking over his shoulder, if not having out and out responsibility taken from him.
this squares with the information i have heard... that the new HC (ie - kubiak) WILL have some say in the draft process... i read elsewhere (i'll try & find it & link below under an edit/add later) that recently hired consultant dan reeves was high on carr in his evaluation... seemingly decreasing the liklihood that carr will be traded away & young drafted.if bush is indeed a once in a generation talent (as some/many scouts are saying), it would be awfully tough to pass that up.

it is true that HCs & OL are separate issues... but i would have more confidence that a solid coaching staff would be better able to identify talent and coaching it up than an incompetent one. capers couldn't get that done... but in fairness, maybe he shouldn't be held entirely (or even primarily) responsible if casserly was calling all the personnel shots... which is why it is encouraging to hear that casserly's role may be diminishing... bosselli was a disaster that set them back for years (just from wasted cap space alone).

coaches can have an impact... SD had an appalingly bad line a few years ago... once respected OL coach hudson houck came aboard, they were markedly improved overnight... he parlayed this into a seven figure gig with dolphins (more than some HCs?)... & MIA was far more competitive in 2005... especially at end of the season... some of this could of course be chalked up to overall influence of saban... & they did have ronnie brown & ricky williams this season, a massive upgrade over previous season.

to illustrate with another example... ATL didn't have exceptional rushing team before DEN transplant gibbs came aboard & taught broncos cut block scheme (i think the lineage comes from the late SF OL coach bob mckitrick, who had huge running game success over the years with roger craig & ricky watters using undersized but quick & athletic OL that used the controversial cut blocks to spring cutback plays to the backside)... ATL has been at or near top two seasons in a row now.

and i do think coaching has a lot to do with coaching players up & development... patriots have had a lot of success in recent seasons with players of less than blue chip, elite pedigree.

on DEN's line, other than first round RT foster, nobody else on the line was higher than a fourth rounder (guards carlisle & hamilton)... center nalen was a seventh rounder & lepsis was a UFA.

anyway, the operative word i used in the sub-title was DYNASTY... so to answer bri's question... i don't know if it will happen for him in 2006... i expect him to be BETTER... but he may not have a true breakout until 2007 or after. but if i had him, i would be compelled to stick with him (assuming i had roster space to do so

& didn't have to wreck rest of my team by keeping him) to see how he developes. between the next few seasons, they could draft a couple starters on the OL & bring in a few as free agents... between that & coaching up players already on the roster (maybe chester pitts is more natural guard?), the OL could look dramatically different in a season or two.

i'm just a knucklehead :) ... kubiak is presumably a lot smarter than me... there are ways to protect your QB... run more max protect schemes... even in a two TE scheme & having a RB in pass pro... you can still send two WRs out on patterns... you can run a lot of quick hitting, high percentage pass plays off of 3-5 step drops... dre johnson could be a monster is used effectively on WR screens & short slants due to his RAC ability... agressive defenses can be sucked in & bush could be used on screens... bush would almost certainly be a massive upgrade in terms of pure rushing talent over davis (not to dis davis, but again, bush could be once in a generation talent & nobody has called davis that) which could also keep defenses honest & pressure off carr. carr also has excellent mobility, & a rolling pocket & sprint outs could be used on occasion.

nobody really picked up on it, but if carr can be turned around & he receives better protection, the overall speed at the skill positions they could soon have in place between bush, johnson & mathis could be among the most dangerous & explosive in the NFL.

there is probably a tendency to still view carr as being a QB under a defensive-minded HC (capers) & a product of that scheme... but kubiak will be implementing a completely different system... i'm not saying carr is going to throw 35 TDs in 2005... but a lot of people may not be factoring bush (if is he is in fact selected by texans as i expect) & mathis into the equation... as well as a still developing johnson.

* edit/add - this is article i saw in blogger... it is by local beat writer, but in retrospect, not sure how authoritative it is... kubiak seems like a hot HC prospect, & say in personnel (if not final authority) would be desirable, so it is logical that they might have dangled that to help snare him.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3587895.html

I disagree. He needs an attitude adjustment. Go find his quotes after he got his way and Palmer got fired, and they put up 10 whole points in a Cincy defeat, despite the D holding Cincy to 17. He talked about "Doind a lot of good things" and "seeing improvement". He has accepted losing. Unless he has a turnaround there, he is worthless.

as far as palmer getting fired... is he even in the league anymore?he got a lot of criticism from many places other than just carr.if carr continues to underwhelm & becomes an unmitigated bust, it will probably have to do with some currently identifiable flaws...there are questions about how quickly he processes information & how well he sees the field... too often he locks onto the primary WR & seems unable to work through his progressions...getting chased by 300 lb dudes trying to kill him may have something to do with that.anyway, apart from the coaching up issue... some QBs get better at this with time & experience... some never get better... it can be difficult at times earlier in the process to tell which group a maturing QB will end up in...BTW, plays like quick hitting three step drop plays like WR screens & short slants could help in a few ways... they are high percentage plays (as opposed to longer developing, downfield plays thrown into more coverage)... they will get the ball out of his hand more quickly, thereby reducing sacks & negative plays... & they will streamline & simplify his decision making...andre johnson should be targeted 10-12 X per game at a minimum... quick hitters... roll it to him, whatever... just get the ball in his hands. imo, there are ways to do that that are better & worse as far as putting carr in a position to succeed in doing so.

BTW, plays like quick hitting three step drop plays like WR screens & short slants could help in a few ways... they are high percentage plays (as opposed to longer developing, downfield plays thrown into more coverage)... they will get the ball out of his hand more quickly, thereby reducing sacks & negative plays... & they will streamline & simplify his decision making...

andre johnson should be targeted 10-12 X per game at a minimum... quick hitters... roll it to him, whatever... just get the ball in his hands. imo, there are ways to do that that are better & worse as far as putting carr in a position to succeed in doing so.
this became the Houston offense in 2005. Replace slants with hitches. Carr's completion percentage was around 60%, but the offense was so tight to the line of scrimmage, teams basically just kept the texans in front of them to attempt long drives to score. Also, targeting Andre Johnson has not been an issue also. Getting him the ball to make big plays has been at issue. Johnson completely missed 3 or 4 games and left in the first quarter of two others. His 63 catches were around 6 per game (95-100 over 16 games) if he had been healthy this year, but 10.5ish YPC and low TD total turned made him look like a bigger L. Coles.

Users who are viewing this thread