What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IF your were able to watch ESPN AND The Network (1 Viewer)

Which coverage was better

• NFL Network

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESPN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mik789fl

Footballguy
Didn't watch the entire draft but in flipping between the 2 networks when I did watch I thought Corey Chavous on The NFL Network was excellent. Well informed,intelligent and easy to listen to. Mel Kiper wasn't as pompous as usual but still annoying. Mortenson was a bit pretentious this year,I think he's getting a little full of himself lately. Boomer was,well Boomer and as usual Irvin added nothing. Who did everyone like or dislike today?

Chavous is very good. You can tell he is into the draft and players. He really does his homework too. He will have a job on one of the networks after he retires. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a poll for you. :thumbup:
Thanks Shick. Let's hear your comments too
Can't really comment. I watched NFL Network because I can't stand Irvin's commentary. However, I was fairly happy with Corey Chavious. Glad he wasn't cornered with regard to his pre-draft rankings of quarterbacks. He had McNeil (A&M) way too high.

Can't really comment. I watched NFL Network because I can't stand Irvin's commentary. However, I was fairly happy with Corey Chavious. Glad he wasn't cornered with regard to his pre-draft rankings of quarterbacks. He had McNeil (A&M) way too high.
or Berman's.

Mayock and Chavous were outstanding. Best of the day. Far better than listening to that idiot Irvin spitting and yelling.

How soon until there won;t even be a choice of networks? I would expect the NFLN to make this their exclusive ASAP.

Merril Hodge is the only thing worth watching analysis wise on ESPN. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but he clearly has a unique thought process behind his decisions.

ESPN graphics and screen updates were far superior. Hopefully NFL Network will improve in that area.

Mike Mayock just said that Tony Scheffler would complement Bubba Franks well.

no idea what he was talking about.

THE NETWORK gives you information with intelligence and just enough lightness mixed in to keep things real. ESPN gives too much fluff and grandstanding by the talking heads,they feel THEY are the show. Good job NFL Network.

ESPN needs to give more air time to Kiper and not so much to the talking heads. NFL Network by a landslide for me.

ESPN needs to give more air time to Kiper and not so much to the talking heads. NFL Network by a landslide for me.
It's silly how one specific commentator always digs on Kiper by alluding he's talking too much.

ESPN graphics and screen updates were far superior. Hopefully NFL Network will improve in that area.
And they need more than one tune. Ice Baby drove me nuts.But at least in the third round they were talking about the players just drafted and not rehashing the first round for the 15th time.

Merril Hodge is the only thing worth watching analysis wise on ESPN. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but he clearly has a unique thought process behind his decisions.
Please tell me this is a joke. I put a jersey on my dog and she did a better job. Hodge is the worst on TV and he makes me long for and Irvin/Steven A Smith combo.Yes, he is that bad.

Merrill Hoge said he wouldn't draft Vince Young as a QB until day 2 of the draft. People really want that guy giving you his thoughts and analysis?

Merrill Hoge said he wouldn't draft Vince Young as a QB until day 2 of the draft. People really want that guy giving you his thoughts and analysis?
Did you see WHY he said that about Vince Young? I think he raised some good points about him getting on the fixed read. Look, I don't think Marino was confusing his playbook with the whitepages, nor do I think he was especially bright. But I think Vince Young will reveal himself to be Akilli Smith V2.0.

Vince has the heart of a champion, but I found Hodge made a compelling case WHY he won't be a good pro.

And regardless, if you agree or disagree, none of us or none of will be even 75 percent on projecting these guys, but at least he backs up his detractions.

ESPN

Berman - babbling idiot

Irvin - pompous idiot

Jaws - bearable

Kolber - eye candy

The rest - blah

NFL Network

Chavous - very insightful but he has a jock voice, needs to brush up on his speaking style

Eisen - ok

Mayock - sounds like a homo with that lisp, seemed off base a lot

And they need more than one tune. Ice Baby drove me nuts.But at least in the third round they were talking about the players just drafted and not rehashing the first round for the 15th time.
That was "pressure" by David Bowie.

Exactly. Graphics, User Experience, Information goes to ESPN (tech boys), but all the commentary, discussion, and talking heads wasn't even close, NFLN in a landslide. NFLN definitely needs to hire away someone from the production side of ESPN next year (and would be very good advice for this years broadcast games post-Turkey day).

I wanted to watch ESPN going into the draft, but the Network came on an hour earlier with coverage & I enjoyed it. I only flipped to ESPN a few times, but with commercials every 2 minutes kept me watching the Network from about 4 pm EST on.

So much Irvin makes having 5 people on the ESPN set pointless.

-----------------

The thing that shocked me the most was how much more smoother the Network's coverage was, given all the year's of ESPN's experience of the draft. Everything just seemed frantic on ESPN -- the key culprit was having 5 guys on the set not knowing when to talk (i.e. when Irvin was going to close his mouth). I thought after a while they might start raising their hands before they were going to talk.

The Network did a great job in defining each person's role on location. ESPN was just cluster#### -- SNL should make a parody of their coverage and set.

I wanted to watch ESPN going into the draft, but the Network came on an hour earlier with coverage & I enjoyed it. I only flipped to ESPN a few times, but with commercials every 2 minutes kept me watching the Network from about 4 pm EST on.

So much Irvin makes having 5 people on the ESPN set pointless.

-----------------

The thing that shocked me the most was how much more smoother the Network's coverage was, given all the year's of ESPN's experience of the draft. Everything just seemed frantic on ESPN -- the key culprit was having 5 guys on the set not knowing when to talk (i.e. when Irvin was going to close his mouth). I thought after a while they might start raising their hands before they were going to talk.
Good point. I got the impression ESPN was pressing,like they had to prove they are still the 800 pound gorilla,while The Network came out and said.here's the draft,let's talk about it.

ESPN

Berman - babbling idiot

Irvin - pompous idiot

Jaws - bearable

Kolber - eye candy

The rest - blah

NFL Network

Chavous - very insightful but he has a jock voice, needs to brush up on his speaking style

Eisen - ok

Mayock - sounds like a homo with that lisp, seemed off base a lot
No way.Eisen = :moneybag:

I watched both and was surprised NFL network's wasn't better. ESPN was far superior in presentation and how it looked. I thought Chavous was ok but nothing special. I like Mayock a lot. ESPN definitely looked like the more professional outfit and the one that has been doing it the longest. Which is only fair because they have.

My impression was that NFL network put the heat on ESPN and they responded.

J

ditto....watched NFL Network cause I didn't want to hear Irvin's idiotic rants.

Suzi + Boomer + Irvin = nightmare. I could barely watch it.

And the best part of the draft, first 15 picks of 2nd round, 5+ trades, ESPN totally skipped over. I had to turn to NFL network to figure out who was picked, and who was doing the trading.

ESPN really blew it this year.

I watched most of the first 6 hours off of THE Network. Sicne I only had access to the first three hours of ESPN's feed up here, I watched only about 15 minutes worth. BUT during those 15 minutes, I heard Irvin. He's worse than Deion Sanders, and that is bad. Why he still has a job there, who knows? I would not have watched the draft if I had to listen to Irvin.....too much of an egotistical clown.

My take on THE Network's coverage, Chavous is knowledgable but he needs some speech courses to sound a bit more smoother. I think THE Network also needed more work with their team cams and interviews with GM's and coaches.

Anyone remember when NFL draft coverage was atually worth a damn? I only watched NFL Network, because I was too lazy to change the channel, but I'll take ESPN for nostalgia.

The ESPN coverage is what has made the draft what it is today. They get blasted every year for having a certain guy up there that nobody likes, but it is what it is. I certainly don't think that NFLN blew them out of the water, as many seem to think. Maybe if they didn't leave you switching over to NFL.com to see who has actually been drafted I'd think differently.

I watched both and was surprised NFL network's wasn't better. ESPN was far superior in presentation and how it looked. I thought Chavous was ok but nothing special. I like Mayock a lot. ESPN definitely looked like the more professional outfit and the one that has been doing it the longest. Which is only fair because they have.

My impression was that NFL network put the heat on ESPN and they responded.

J
I agree.Like Mayok, Eisen is good, Chavious was eh.

When I was on ESPN, we were like screaming for Mel. Say what you will but the guy knows EVERYTHING dealing with the draft and the players.

But on NFL network, two picks have gone by and I would flip over to ESPN and they would have pick announcements... not so big in the 3rd round but first two rounds I want to know!

Lastly... Michael Irvin. What a waste. Tom Jackson argued with him the whole day, Mortensen was beside himself with him, Berman was trying to keep him under control and Kiper was almost ashamed. By late round two, Tom and Mort were making fun of Irvin. It was VERY annoying.

Did you see WHY he said that about Vince Young? I think he raised some good points about him getting on the fixed read. Look, I don't think Marino was confusing his playbook with the whitepages, nor do I think he was especially bright. But I think Vince Young will reveal himself to be Akilli Smith V2.0.

Vince has the heart of a champion, but I found Hodge made a compelling case WHY he won't be a good pro.

And regardless, if you agree or disagree, none of us or none of will be even 75 percent on projecting these guys, but at least he backs up his detractions.
The thing w/ these 'experts' are that they ARE experts on what they know. The problem is that they get air-time on what they don't know. Hodge is great at breaking down RBs and blocking schemes. The arrogant lineman knows O and D lines very well, but I don't care what he thinks about defensive backs. Jaws will give you the goods on QBs, WRs and DBs, but all he knows about D-linemen is how they smell up close. Take them for what they're worth and they are very valuble. ##### about so-and-so is a tool, and you become the tool for listening to an expert on a subject he is not an expert on. Do you go to the vet when you need a root-canal?

I'll say NFL Network with a BIG *******

that being.. After an hour I was REAL tired of hearing the "Under Pressure" music. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :wall:

Are they that poor that they could only get the rights to one song??

Otherwise, once they shut the music off I enjoyed thier coverage.

What will happen today? Will the draft shows talk about yesterday and add in the picks as an after thought (like ESPN in the past)

Or will they be a draft show and talk about the current pick.

What will happen today? Will the draft shows talk about yesterday and add in the picks as an after thought (like ESPN in the past)

Or will they be a draft show and talk about the current pick.
ESPN will cover day 2 like they always have,they'll talk and talk and talk about day one and then Boomer will say..."oh by the way,here's the last 3 picks",then they'll talk somemore. I'll watch The Network today just to see if they actually show the picks as soon as or shortly after they're made,hopefully they'll talk about TODAY'S picks. I agree that Chavous needs a "media makeover" as far as his presentation is comcerned,but his homework and preparation are excellent,you expect that from Kiper,it's his living,but Chavous started this on his own as a way to make HIMSELF better prepared. Kudos to him.

Users who are viewing this thread