What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Johnathan Dwyer over_________ (1 Viewer)

Unclegut

Footballguy
It seems like Dwyer has a nice match up this week against San Diego, and Big Ben is back. Is it a crazy thought to start him over a guy like Jamal Charles?

I guess the better question is would Dwyer be a better start over Morris going against Baltimore...I know Baltimore hasn't been great against the run this year.

I wouldn't call it a nice matchup. Sd is fairly tough vs the run. Beatable but tough. Much easier to pass against. That said Roethlisberger will need to keep himself upright a lot in this game. He can't afford to take big hits trying to extend plays every snap like he always does so I'm betting that he employs a very dink and dunk style passing game, which hopefully involves a lot of dump offs and screens to Dwyer as well as heavy usage of the run game.

I am starting Dwyer over Stevie Johnson, and denarius Moore in my flex.

It seems like Dwyer has a nice match up this week against San Diego, and Big Ben is back. Is it a crazy thought to start him over a guy like Jamal Charles?
I have him plugged in over Charles right now. This is a non ppr td heavy league so a couple of 1 yd TD is worth way more than 100 yds rushing. I am worried that Hillis is going to vulture any goal line TD potential JC has. That said, he's due to break off an 85 yarder 1st play from scrimmage. :football:

With Ivory being ruled inactive this week I am rolling with Sproles over Dwyer in a 1 point per reception PPR league.

I'm not understanding where all these Dwyer dump offs will be coming from? The guy clearly is not fast enough to make anything happen. The dump offs will be going to Redman or Haines

I'm not understanding where all these Dwyer dump offs will be coming from? The guy clearly is not fast enough to make anything happen. The dump offs will be going to Redman or Haines
Can't disagree with you on that although he should catch 2 or 3 balls. He will will get a lot if carries though guaranteed

Mathews is my only other viable starter so im going with dwyer. Watch this be the week SD actually uses mathews and he also shows up.

Why so high on Dwyer ... he's been ok at best and they are playing against a pretty good run D.

Starting Torrey Smith and Dangelo Williams over him

The 2 games that Dwyer started with Big Ben under center he had 17 carries for 122 yds and 17 carries for 107...he didn't score in either game, but it seems like Tomlin is committed to leaning on him which I hope would be carries at the goal line.

It seems like a great opportunity for him against a disappointing Chargers team

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating between him and Demarco Murray. I'm favored by about 20 points (.5 ppr)and need to win to make the playoffs. I figure he's got the higher floor and Demarco has the higher ceiling, right? So go with Dwyer, right?

Guess I'm rolling him over Vick Ballard, Alex Green and Ryan Mathews.

Although I like the Ballard matchup, I do worry about Luck and Carter take GL looks and carries.

'Dark Matter said:
I have him plugged in over Charles right now. This is a non ppr td heavy league so a couple of 1 yd TD is worth way more than 100 yds rushing. I am worried that Hillis is going to vulture any goal line TD potential JC has. That said, he's due to break off an 85 yarder 1st play from scrimmage. :football:
This was way off base. JC only broke an 80 yd touchdown from the 1st play from scrimmage. ;)

'Dark Matter said:
This was way off base. JC only broke an 80 yd touchdown from the 1st play from scrimmage. ;)
:excited: :mellow: :sadbanana: Went back and forth all morning and decided to stay with Dwyer :bag:

Is this guy a better start (against Dallas) than DeMarco Murray? Dallas is very beat up in the middle of the field, I'm thinking he might be the better play. Crazy?

I just waived him. Worked out swimmingly. The guy that picked him up waived B Myers for him, and I need a TE. The guy I face in the playoffs this week is likely starting Carson Palmer over RG3. I know, I know, cancel out theory doesn't work, but in this case, he's the best option I have at TE.

Devise a pecking order for the halfbacks. The real test for the backs, including second-round pick Le'Veon Bell, will not come until training camp and preseason games. However, how quickly Bell picks up the offense could determine whether he or Isaac Redman/Jonathan Dwyer start the season at halfback.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/bouchette-on-the-steelers-goal-of-the-otas-688269/#ixzz2Tn6p7kwfDoes this dude have a shot to start? I'm not sure he got a fair shake last year with the injuries they had in the OL and at QB. Could we have expected more?

Also, I believe he's a decent buy low in dynasty. I'd sell for a 3rd and buy for a 4th, but I think that price is fair value considering the talent. He turns 24 in july and is a free agent after 2013 so there is plenty of room yet

Devise a pecking order for the halfbacks. The real test for the backs, including second-round pick Le'Veon Bell, will not come until training camp and preseason games. However, how quickly Bell picks up the offense could determine whether he or Isaac Redman/Jonathan Dwyer start the season at halfback.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/bouchette-on-the-steelers-goal-of-the-otas-688269/#ixzz2Tn6p7kwfDoes this dude have a shot to start? I'm not sure he got a fair shake last year with the injuries they had in the OL and at QB. Could we have expected more?

Also, I believe he's a decent buy low in dynasty. I'd sell for a 3rd and buy for a 4th, but I think that price is fair value considering the talent. He turns 24 in july and is a free agent after 2013 so there is plenty of room yet
Dwyer had his chances last season and for the most part did not perform. His biggest problem is that he wants a breather after every 2 yard run. Anything is possible but barring injuries I see Dwyer as being at the third most valuable RB on the Steelers behind Bell and Redman and possibly even behind Stephens-Howling as well.

BTW, I think the Steelers have a bye this week ;)

Dwyer had his chances last season and for the most part did not perform. His biggest problem is that he wants a breather after every 2 yard run. Anything is possible but barring injuries I see Dwyer as being at the third most valuable RB on the Steelers behind Bell and Redman and possibly even behind Stephens-Howling as well.
Take it from one of the Steelers' homers.

Dwyer definitely had his shot last year - had a couple of good games (like Redman before him) and the starting gig seemed to be all his. But the production slipped badly after that. As soon as the offseason hit, it seemed clear from comments by team brass that they really wanted to address the RB situation in the offseason.

Enter Le'Veon Bell. He may or not be the answer, but it seems pretty clear that he'll be given every opportunity to be the guy that Mendenhall was pre-injury.

I'm not sure the book is written on Dwyer. Last year was a positive in that he actually looked better than he ever had. His conditioning was not what it needed to be. But that's something that's fixable. As is his perception of what constitutes "healthy" in the NFL. These are things that the proverbial light bulb coming on can fix.

No question the signing of Bell was a signing of need. But Bell isn't exactly the most fleet of foot and there are many more big backs that flounder than ever turn out like a Bettis. Bell is the new toy and I don't fault anyone for targeting Bell.

But with Redman, what you see is what there is. Where is the growth potential with Redman? With Dwyer, there still may be some untapped potential. So between the two, I'd take Dwyer. He's going to be cheap enough that it isn't going to hurt you if he does nothing, but the profit could be significant if this year holds additional improvement and growth in him from 2012 in the same way that 2012 was a significant improvement over 2011.

Some guys take longer to get it. At what Dwyer costs, he's a cheap gamble.

Dwyer's issue is that he is painfully lazy. He has been chastized by Tomlin every preseason and early camp for coming into the season out of condition. Tomlin was DESPERATE to hand him the starting job, but Dwyer simply couldn't keep his discipline levels high enough to maintain worthwhile conditioning. He is rumored to have gained (amazingly enough) a good 10-15 lbs during the season last year, and he is notorious for "tapping out" for a breather every few plays.

Bell is substantially faster and more naturally talented than Redman, and he isn't a lazy pile of mush like Dwyer. He also has decent pass pro and good hands and although he isn't a Bettis bruiser, he is still a bigger, harder runner.

The starting RB position is LeVeon Bell's to lose. I will be absolutely shocked if he isn't the day 1 starter

Dwyer's issue is that he is painfully lazy. He has been chastized by Tomlin every preseason and early camp for coming into the season out of condition. Tomlin was DESPERATE to hand him the starting job, but Dwyer simply couldn't keep his discipline levels high enough to maintain worthwhile conditioning. He is rumored to have gained (amazingly enough) a good 10-15 lbs during the season last year, and he is notorious for "tapping out" for a breather every few plays.

Bell is substantially faster and more naturally talented than Redman, and he isn't a lazy pile of mush like Dwyer. He also has decent pass pro and good hands and although he isn't a Bettis bruiser, he is still a bigger, harder runner.

The starting RB position is LeVeon Bell's to lose. I will be absolutely shocked if he isn't the day 1 starter
I even looked him up on Facebook and he still has a gut. If he hasn't got it yet he never will and the Steelers obviously don't think he will either.

This is the lightest Ive ever been in the off-season, Dwyer said. I took a disciplinary action on myself. I know what I can do as a player when Im in the best shape I can be. I know if I am I can get up into that next level as potentially one of the best in the league. So thats pretty much where Im trying to get to.

Dwyers weight is back down to 245, and he said hes on pace to get down to 230, or as low as I possibly can by the opener.

That would be his lightest weight since 2009 at Georgia Tech, but he said hes not motivated by coaches or the drafting of LeVeon Bell in the second round.

I motivated myself, Dwyer said. I made that decision back when the season was over. I started training a little earlier than I usually do. I made sure I was on my diet and getting a chef and really getting into nutrition and learning how I can help myself.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1293811.html

Dwyer's job to lose. Just traded him for peanuts too :(

This is the lightest Ive ever been in the off-season, Dwyer said. I took a disciplinary action on myself. I know what I can do as a player when Im in the best shape I can be. I know if I am I can get up into that next level as potentially one of the best in the league. So thats pretty much where Im trying to get to.

Dwyers weight is back down to 245, and he said hes on pace to get down to 230, or as low as I possibly can by the opener.

That would be his lightest weight since 2009 at Georgia Tech, but he said hes not motivated by coaches or the drafting of LeVeon Bell in the second round.

I motivated myself, Dwyer said. I made that decision back when the season was over. I started training a little earlier than I usually do. I made sure I was on my diet and getting a chef and really getting into nutrition and learning how I can help myself.

You will enjoy those peanuts more than you would have enjoyed Dwyer.

You will enjoy those peanuts more than you would have enjoyed Dwyer.
Those peanuts ain't making it past Dwyer's pie hole, that's for sure.

Dwyer...

Plodder? Check

Overweight? Check

Poor blocker? Check

Fumbling issues? Check

Doesn't play teams? Check

Premium pick spent on a rookie at his position? Check

Clearly, "Starting RB Pittsburgh" is his job to lose.

The guy is going to be lucky if he makes the team. He and Redman fill the same role(e.g. "plodding SY guy"), except Redman can block, wasn't reportedly being shopped after Bell was drafted(as Dwyer was) and isn't apparently motivated only by french fries.

The Steelers would add 1.3 million back to their salary cap if they jerk the tender to either Redman or Dwyer, so one of those guys isn't going to be kept. My money's on Dwyer being that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread