What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(insert Denver RB) band wagon (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Who is it going forward? Hillis? Do they bring back Travis Henry? What about that Denver running game? Anyone going to fool with it at all?

How close is Selvin Young? Judging by last night's game, not very close I would imagine. However, I still have to think that he has the inside track when healthy. I'd just like to know when that is?

How close is Selvin Young? Judging by last night's game, not very close I would imagine. However, I still have to think that he has the inside track when healthy. I'd just like to know when that is?
Jeff Legwold and Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, report Denver Broncos RB Selvin Young (groin) will be doubtful for the team's Week 11 game. Young left the game Week 10 using crutches after suffering a groin injury.

Jeff Legwold and Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, report Denver Broncos RB Selvin Young (groin) will be doubtful for the team's Week 11 game. Young left the game Week 10 using crutches after suffering a groin injury.
Gah! Thanks.

What do we know about Corey Boyd? (recently signed to the practice squad)

Edit: I've heard a lot of good things about the kid as far as his play at South Carolina. I think he was suspended at one point though; not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do we know about Corey Boyd? (recently signed to the practice squad)Edit: I've heard a lot of good things about the kid as far as his play at South Carolina. I think he was suspended at one point though; not sure why.
Cory is a tough runner, decent hands, and might be in a perfect situation for him. He had a very tough upbringing, which carried into college, but he got himself straightened out. A quick search turned up this summary:Sobo's Players #9: RB Cory BoydCory Boyd By Brent SobleskiOBR Draft AnalystPosted Apr 13, 2008 A mid-to-late round running back from South Carolina. Can he make it in the NFL? Here's Sobo's take, along with NFL scout Tom Marino and Scout.com draft analyst Chris Steuber.Cory Boyd RB South CarolinaSobo Sez: The Gamecock running back quietly went about his business amassing a solid senior campaign throughout an up and down South Carolina season in 2007. Totaled 952 yards rushing with 5.0 yards per carry average and 9 touchdowns while relinquishing some repetitions in a running back rotation. Boyd’s best effort came against one of South Carolina’s top rivals, the Tennessee Volunteers, rushing for a season best of 160 yards.Boyd is a hardnosed runner with some questions about top end speed. Displays a nice burst into the hole initially and does make decisive cuts. Never quite had that breakout run this past season with a season long of only 29 yards. At the Combine he did surprise NFL personnel by posting a best of 4.46 in his forty yard dash.A bit of an upright runner at 6 feet 1 inch tall and 213 pounds, Boyd also has soft hands out of the backfield. As a junior he led all SEC running backs in catches, adding 36 more receptions this past season. Steve Spurrier is not known as having an NFL ready system. The proof is in the pudding, but he does ask his teams to pass early and often. So while Boyd was churning out the yards meticulously down the field, he had to understand all the basic concepts of the passing game as both a receiver and blocker. The “Ole Ball Coach” was even more influential in Boyd’s personal life. Considering transfer and acting up in his collegiate career, Spurrier suspended the back shortly after the coach’s arrival and challenged the young player to step up as both a person and potential leader of the football team. Boyd responded well, becoming the starter the following season and became the prime weapon in the offense. Overall, Boyd flashes the talent to potentially become a starter in the NFL, but right now is only a situational back worth a mid to late round selection. Tom Marino, NFL Scout: Has good vision and feel running inside the tackles. Was patient, read blocks well and finished his runs. Doesn't have top speed/explosion, wasn't an elusive nor was he a tackle breaker. Lacks the speed to consistently get the corner. Did catch the ball well on screens arrow and swing routes.Just a good college back but didn't do anything to set him apart from the rest of the pack. Back-up special team type player. Draft consideration; round 6 - 7.Chris Steuber, Scout.com Draft Analyst: Boyd is a big runner who runs tough between the tackles and shows good quickness on the edge. He performed well during East-West Shrine practices, but wasn’t consistent catching the ball. He’s not a shifty runner, but breaks tackles and is tough to bring down. Boyd has some character concerns and will have to address those issues during interviews at the Combine.

Can we really put much stock into this opinion...I mean today is Friday and the next game for the Broncos is over a week from now. I think it is too premature to write Young off for the job. I also feel he would be leaned on more than Hillis, but that is purely based on my opinion.

Musa Smith?Mike Bell?Tatum Bell?
Olandis Gary?Ruben Droughns?Mike Anderson?How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :lmao:Cedric Cobbs?Damian Nash?Cecil Sapp?Quentin Griffin?Ron Dayne?
Just as an aside - here's a rant for you; How many starting RBs has Denver fielded since they shipped Clinton Portis off to Washington for Champ Failey? Seriously. Mike Shanahan is a good coach, maybe even a great one. He's one of the few 'franchise' coaches in the NFL and Pat Bowlen would be wise to keep Shanny installed for as long as he wants to be there ie, the Broncos couldn't replace Shanahan with anyone that would bring better skills, knowledge and pedigree to run the Broncos. Maybe Bill Cowher, but I'm not convinced of that by any means. Having said all of this, Shanahan's ego and belief in his own legend has cost him big-time here. Shanahan genuinely believed that the organization and his system/coaching was more responsible for the success at the RB position than the player's own unique talents. Prima Donna Portis = Expendable, Potential Shut Down Corner = Not Expendable. This evaluation / decision was Mike Shanahan's darkest and lowest career landmark to date and quite possibly nothing he does going forward will ever come close to it.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?
Olandis Gary?Ruben Droughns?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :goodposting:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
Just as an aside - here's a rant for you; How many starting RBs has Denver fielded since they shipped Clinton Portis off to Washington for Champ Failey? Seriously. Mike Shanahan is a good coach, maybe even a great one. He's one of the few 'franchise' coaches in the NFL and Pat Bowlen would be wise to keep Shanny installed for as long as he wants to be there ie, the Broncos couldn't replace Shanahan with anyone that would bring better skills, knowledge and pedigree to run the Broncos. Maybe Bill Cowher, but I'm not convinced of that by any means. Having said all of this, Shanahan's ego and belief in his own legend has cost him big-time here. Shanahan genuinely believed that the organization and his system/coaching was more responsible for the success at the RB position than the player's own unique talents. Prima Donna Portis = Expendable, Potential Shut Down Corner = Not Expendable. This evaluation / decision was Mike Shanahan's darkest and lowest career landmark to date and quite possibly nothing he does going forward will ever come close to it.
Seriously? Look at Denver's D now with Bailey out a few games. I don't know how you can fault that decision. Portis is a top 10 back in the NFL Granted, but Champ is far and away the best CB in the NFL. I do that trade every time. Champ shuts down half the field in the passing game and is excellent in run support especially for a CB. He affects every team that has to come in and play them and game plan around him. Calling this Shanahan's "darkest and lowest career landmark to date and quite possibly nothing he does going forward will ever come close to it." is completely wrong, just wrong period.Shanahan may be full of himself at times but that trade was a good move for that team, Today and every Sunday.

Cecil has said that he feels like Hillis is going to get the first shot, especially with Young hobbled. I think he worthy of a WW grab now, despite not looking great last night. Remember, 8 carries is not a good indicator, but in PPR leagues this guy could be worth of a flex spot or a tough-spot start.

P.J. Pope is probably on deck with Boyd coming in if he too gets hurt.

Right now, skeletor needs to start the interview process with 'Are you man enough to stay on the field for at least 1 game?'.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :confused:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
Seriously? Look at Denver's D now with Bailey out a few games. I don't know how you can fault that decision. Portis is a top 10 back in the NFL Granted, but Champ is far and away the best CB in the NFL. I do that trade every time. Champ shuts down half the field in the passing game and is excellent in run support especially for a CB. He affects every team that has to come in and play them and game plan around him. Calling this Shanahan's "darkest and lowest career landmark to date and quite possibly nothing he does going forward will ever come close to it." is completely wrong, just wrong period.Shanahan may be full of himself at times but that trade was a good move for that team, Today and every Sunday.
:goodposting: Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :hey:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
:( Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.
Here is the list of 'starting' running backs in Denver from 2004-2008...Reuben Droughns

Quentin Griffin

Mike Anderson

Tatum Bell

Mike Bell

Cecil Sapp

Travis Henry

Selvin Young

Andre Hall

Michael Pittman

Ryan Torain

* Add - Peyton Hillis

That's 12 (twelve) starting running backs in 4.5 seasons. And this list doesn't include Garrison Hearst, Ron Dayne, Damien Nash etc. that got carries but no actual 'starts'. It's been sex without love in the Broncos running game ever since Portis left. You can justify it any way you like, but the Broncos 'soul' was in their downhill running game and Shanahan sold it out.

Seriously? Look at Denver's D now with Bailey out a few games. I don't know how you can fault that decision. Portis is a top 10 back in the NFL Granted, but Champ is far and away the best CB in the NFL. I do that trade every time. Champ shuts down half the field in the passing game and is excellent in run support especially for a CB. He affects every team that has to come in and play them and game plan around him. Calling this Shanahan's "darkest and lowest career landmark to date and quite possibly nothing he does going forward will ever come close to it." is completely wrong, just wrong period.

Shanahan may be full of himself at times but that trade was a good move for that team, Today and every Sunday.
At the time Champ Bailey was the best CB in the NFL. Now? Nnamdi Asomugha.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :rolleyes:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
:goodposting: Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.
Here is the list of 'starting' running backs in Denver from 2004-2008...Reuben Droughns

Quentin Griffin

Mike Anderson

Tatum Bell

Mike Bell

Cecil Sapp

Travis Henry

Selvin Young

Andre Hall

Michael Pittman

Ryan Torain

* Add - Peyton Hillis

That's 12 (twelve) starting running backs in 4.5 seasons. And this list doesn't include Garrison Hearst, Ron Dayne, Damien Nash etc. that got carries but no actual 'starts'. It's been sex without love in the Broncos running game ever since Portis left. You can justify it any way you like, but the Broncos 'soul' was in their downhill running game and Shanahan sold it out.
Are you looking at this from a fantasy (where you have 1 player) or as a team (where you have a rushing team)? Much different stories and although no one RB seemed to be as good for DEN as Portis, as a club and sometimes with RBBC, the team didn't have that big of a dropoff at RB. Also keep in mind that injuries have seriously held back what could have been even better. Mike Bell and Tatum Bell issues. This year is a complete flop with Pittman/Hall to IR, Torain (probably would have been starter from week 1) broken elbow and now torn ACL, and Young with various injuries including groin inj. now. Also keep in mind that their O-Line has suffered injuries recently as well that they didn't have in Portis era.

Shanny couldn't predict injuries. Other than those, I think he and the Broncos did exceptionally well filling in their RBs. Look at the rushing attack as a team, not as a player (which is what counts in the NFL) and I think Shanny and the Broncos made a great move.

Who is it going forward? Hillis? Do they bring back Travis Henry? What about that Denver running game? Anyone going to fool with it at all?
Pretty sure he's in jail, or will be soon... He got caught with something like 2 Kilos of blow over the summer. Without football, I guess he had to find other means by which to provide for his 9 children.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :loco:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
:lmao: Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.

Quentin Griffin

Mike Anderson

Tatum Bell

Mike Bell

Cecil Sapp

Travis Henry

Selvin Young

Andre Hall

Michael Pittman

Ryan Torain

* Add - Peyton Hillis

:lmao: :lmao:

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :lmao:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
:lmao: Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.
I agree that Champ played a huge role in Denver's success that season. But a shutdown corner is not very valuable if the players surrounding him are awful - particularly if his defense is unable to generate any sort of a pass rush. So, in a season like this one, I think a player like Portis would be far more valuable to Denver than Champ. Denver's defense has been awful all year, with or without Champ, and will continue to be awful until they can stop the run and get pressure on the QB. These are things that Champ has no control over, but they have a large effect on how big of an impact he can really make.

Marcell Shipp has been playing basketball with us a few days a week, says he's available, worked out for Pittsburgh I think earlier this season. I told him this morning that if the phone rings and it's Denver ... DON"T ANSWER. It used to be Shannahan made running backs ... but now it's all injuries. Good Grief.

Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :goodposting:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
:thumbup: Champ Bailey had probably the biggest hand in Denver reaching the AFCC in 2005. He was a finalist for Defensive POY that year too. Meanwhile, Portis has been a solid back but only this year has he enjoyed success on the level he had while in Denver. I think the argument that Denver was fleeced in that deal is a myopic one that doesn't take into account how difficult it is to find an elite corner as opposed to how difficult it is to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget Denver also received a 2nd rounder in that deal.
haven't you proven the point about Portis,then?Portis ,IN DENVER, was a BEAST...Two seasons of 1500+ yards, 15 TDs/yr..what would he have been like, had he stayed in Denver?? as good as,if not better than Tomlinson .....

so the question is,would you have traded Tomlinson for Champ Bailey?!?!

hell no!

Portis *might* have been the first guy in NFL history to run for 2k yards twice in a career...maybe even MORE than twice.. :thumbup:

Tanner9919 said:
Buffaloes said:
eddie077 said:
grouse said:
Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :confused:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?
haven't you proven the point about Portis,then?Portis ,IN DENVER, was a BEAST...Two seasons of 1500+ yards, 15 TDs/yr..what would he have been like, had he stayed in Denver?? as good as,if not better than Tomlinson .....

hell no!

Portis *might* have been the first guy in NFL history to run for 2k yards twice in a career...maybe even MORE than twice.. :shrug:
Maybe. At the same time, Denver was a competitive team that was getting blown out of the water every year by Indy due in large part to a bad defensive backfield. While Portis was in Denver, they were a good team that couldn't win a playoff game. They got Champ and he helped elevate the team defensively and the running game was still decent. Sure, there was a bit of a dropoff from Portis to Bell/Anderson but the running game was still the staple and was still at a healthy YPC. I think some people are looking at this from a fantasy standpoint. Denver has been able to get production from its RBBC and has had Champ to boot.

Tanner9919 said:
Buffaloes said:
eddie077 said:
grouse said:
Musa Smith?

Mike Bell?

Tatum Bell?

Mike Anderson?

How long is this Denver RB list anyway....? :thumbup:

Cedric Cobbs?

Damian Nash?

Cecil Sapp?

Quentin Griffin?

Ron Dayne?

hell no!

Portis *might* have been the first guy in NFL history to run for 2k yards twice in a career...maybe even MORE than twice.. :shrug:
The NFL is not the same thing as fantasy football. Denver fleeced the Skins on that deal, and everyone that knows football agrees.

okay, i'm pretty sure neither Portis nor Champ will be starting RB for Denver this week so can those arguments go to the other 23 threads on the Portis/Champ subject the last 4 years and keep this thread on the current RB for Denver for those of us addicted to the drug called the 'DEN RBs'?

Users who are viewing this thread