What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting That The Pats & Bengals (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Despite having something to play for. I've seen the arguments about how meaningless the 3rd or 4th seed is, but it seems to me any chance you have to move up in the seedings and better position yourself for the playoff run means you should be playing to win. And yet it appears both Lewis and Belichick are prepared to tank the game by not playing their starters much today.In my opinion it's one thing to have a playoff spot locked up and decide to sit guys; it's another to still have something to play for (no matter how "minor" it may appear to be to some) and still tank the game. Just my :2cents:

I think Lewis may be playing this one straight up.Palmer get's the start. I'm not sure I'd put him on the field 'at all' unless he's planning on playing for the win.

little to no differance between 3 and 4. If it was 2 and 3you would see both going full tilt.

little to no differance between 3 and 4. If it was 2 and 3you would see both going full tilt.
I disagree. Getting Denver instead of Indy in the 2nd round is a big advantage imho.

Cincinnati has not looked very good since their win over the Steelers, so if they get the 4 seed, I could see them losing to Jacksonville. If they hang on to the 3 seed, I think the Steelers will beat them.

I disagree. Getting Denver instead of Indy in the 2nd round is a big advantage imho.
Huh? You just spent the last week telling me how the Redskins have looked better than the Bears lately and you are now ignoring the fact that the Broncos have looked better than the Colts lately. Regardless of whether the Colts went all-out last week or today, the fact remains that they have not played well lately. Plus, the Broncos are undefeated at home. The Colts are not. It seems to me that playing at Indy (where you might catch them a bit rusty at first) might look better than playing the Broncos.

Cmon Bronco fan, Denver will play UNTIL Plummer gives a game away and you KNOW it will happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriots will end up playing Denver in second round regardless (Pitt will beat Cinci) if they beat Miami today or not. By losing they get an easier opening round opponent (Jacksonville) IMO.

It's hard to argue with Belichick obviously given his success but I still find it very questionable that both the Pats and Bengals tanked Week 17 with something to prove. It's one thing to rest someone who's clearly injured like Dillon or not play Palmer much because of his injury (frankly I wonder why he was even active this week), but I don't see what good came from tanking this week's game and possibly preventing a chance to improve each team's playoff positioning. Very questionable decisions by both Belichick and Lewis this week in my opinion.

Cincinnati has not looked very good since their win over the Steelers, so if they get the 4 seed, I could see them losing to Jacksonville. If they hang on to the 3 seed, I think the Steelers will beat them.
So what you're saying is that this game didn't matter because Cincy is losing in the 1st round anyway?

I don't see why the pats would want to tank.Getting the #3 seed means they get to play Pitt @home who they have owned in recent history. It also guarantees they don't have to play Indy on the road in the 2nd round. Probably slightly better chances of making the AFC title game as the #3 seed opposed to the #4 seed. Plus if they make the title game as the #3 seed and Indy loses, they get home field against whomever is left.OTOH, getting the #4 seed means you get to play Jax@home, who is without their starting QB and we don't have a real measure of their strength because of their cake schedule down the stretch.So it's a choice of Pitt, @Denver or Jax, @Indy (or @Denver if Cincy loses to Pitt).

So what you're saying is that this game didn't matter because Cincy is losing in the 1st round anyway?
I never said that. I just think Cincinnati would have stood a better chance at winning next week if the were playing Jacksonville rather than Pittsburgh. And I think Pittsburgh has a much better chance at beating the Bengals than they do the Patriots.

Despite having something to play for.

I've seen the arguments about how meaningless the 3rd or 4th seed is, but it seems to me any chance you have to move up in the seedings and better position yourself for the playoff run means you should be playing to win. And yet it appears both Lewis and Belichick are prepared to tank the game by not playing their starters much today.

In my opinion it's one thing to have a playoff spot locked up and decide to sit guys; it's another to still have something to play for (no matter how "minor" it may appear to be to some) and still tank the game.

Just my :2cents:
Neither one of them wanted to play the Steelers next week. :P

Patriots were very smart trying to give it away early. They know they own the Colts and we haven't seen a dominating performance by Indy in over a month (about six weeks when the conference semis begin).Broncos have always given the Pats fits, particularly in Denver. Even in the Pats best season during the dynasty (2003), the Patriots were taken the wire by a Denver team led by Danny freakin' Kannell!I think Belichick knew this and realized the road to another championship goes through knocking Indy out...again. Then they can hope for an upset of Denver in the semis and with New England's luck, they'll end up hosting the Steelers in the AFC title game! :wall: :thumbdown:

Patriots were very smart trying to give it away early. They know they own the Colts and we haven't seen a dominating performance by Indy in over a month (about six weeks when the conference semis begin).

Broncos have always given the Pats fits, particularly in Denver. Even in the Pats best season during the dynasty (2003), the Patriots were taken the wire by a Denver team led by Danny freakin' Kannell!

I think Belichick knew this and realized the road to another championship goes through knocking Indy out...again. Then they can hope for an upset of Denver in the semis and with New England's luck, they'll end up hosting the Steelers in the AFC title game! :wall: :thumbdown:
So he's sending the message to his team that he's afraid to play the Broncos? Good move.Like I said, it's very hard to question Belichick given his track record with the Patriots. But this was a team that was really starting to click on all cylanders and had a chance to go into the playoffs as arguably the hottest team in the AFC. I'm not sure basically taking a week off was the right move for them to make. We'll see how it plays out.

Patriots were very smart trying to give it away early. They know they own the Colts and we haven't seen a dominating performance by Indy in over a month (about six weeks when the conference semis begin).

Broncos have always given the Pats fits, particularly in Denver. Even in the Pats best season during the dynasty (2003), the Patriots were taken the wire by a Denver team led by Danny freakin' Kannell!

I think Belichick knew this and realized the road to another championship goes through knocking Indy out...again. Then they can hope for an upset of Denver in the semis and with New England's luck, they'll end up hosting the Steelers in the AFC title game!  :wall:   :thumbdown:
So he's sending the message to his team that he's afraid to play the Broncos? Good move.Like I said, it's very hard to question Belichick given his track record with the Patriots. But this was a team that was really starting to click on all cylanders and had a chance to go into the playoffs as arguably the hottest team in the AFC. I'm not sure basically taking a week off was the right move for them to make. We'll see how it plays out.
No, he's making sure he has the most desirable matchup to make a run at the three-peat.

I think Belichick knew this and realized the road to another championship goes through knocking Indy out...again. Then they can hope for an upset of Denver in the semis and with New England's luck, they'll end up hosting the Steelers in the AFC title game! :wall: :thumbdown:
No, he's making sure he has the most desirable matchup to make a run at the three-peat.
As the two-time defending champs and winners of three of the last four Super Bowls I don't think the Patriots should care who they play or where. They should have the utmost confidence that they are going to beat anyone they play. And that means their goal should be to have the highest seed possible rather than trying to avoid any particular team because they're fearful of the matchup. That's sending a message of weakness which I don't think the Patriots should have to send at all.

I saw the highlight of the failed 2-pt conversion at the end. I mean - that was airmailed out of bounds over the head of an open receiver.

I thought Cassel missed it on purpose too, however they did show in a replay of it he was pretty pissed and yelling after he threw it. Not sure what to believe on that one.

little to no differance between 3 and 4.  If it was 2 and 3you would see both going full tilt.
Huh? You just spent the last week telling me how the Redskins have looked better than the Bears lately and you are now ignoring the fact that the Broncos have looked better than the Colts lately. Regardless of whether the Colts went all-out last week or today, the fact remains that they have not played well lately. Plus, the Broncos are undefeated at home. The Colts are not. It seems to me that playing at Indy (where you might catch them a bit rusty at first) might look better than playing the Broncos.
I don't think losing meaningless games matters. The Colts are far and away a better team than Denver imho.

Telling your backup quarterback to throw a game would be one of the most detrimental things you could to morale. No way was it on purpose.

Some of the comments in this thread are way beyond stupid. The Patriots (and Bengals) did not tank today's game. They simply rested starters and their backups got beat. The Pats certainly didn't intentionally fail to convert that final 2-pointer.Pure idiocy running all through this thread.

Some of the comments in this thread are way beyond stupid. The Patriots (and Bengals) did not tank today's game. They simply rested starters and their backups got beat. The Pats certainly didn't intentionally fail to convert that final 2-pointer.
Resting starters in a game with playoff implications is tanking it in my opinon. No ifs, ands or buts about it.However, I agree that I don't believe the Pats intentionally failed the final 2-point play. No way.

Any of you conspiracy theorists think the reason not to go all out had anything to do with staying healthy, getting some "rest", or even player evaluation?At this point of the season and without the luxury of a bye, it makes a lot of sense. Bruschi got nicked last week and New England can't take too many hits on that side of the ball. Also consider yesterday's injury to Brees and the NYG, who appeared to be dropping like flies last night. They came real close to a serious injury for Tiki. Even with the 3rd string QB, New England got to within a two point conversion of going to OT. If you want tanking, look no further than Houston, who appeared to tank for half a season.

Users who are viewing this thread