What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Alex Smith now an elite fantasy QB? (1 Viewer)

Is Alex an elite qb moving forward? Isn't that all that matters? Who cares if he and a rookie had a hot start? I think the op wanted an opinion moving forward, not debate past production. Of course he is elite if we played a 5 game season. My league plays 16. I'm not salty, just gave reasons as to why I don't think it lasts.

Focusing on Smith allegedly being a guy who just throws short shovel pass TDS is so off base for a number of reasons. For one, for a shovel to even work you need the QB to help sell misdirection to open up gaps in the line for a play like that to be successful. Good/great NFL QBs are able to look off defenders, run fakes and misdirections, and look one way and pass in another - all skills that I’ve personally seen Smith employ in games this year to help move the ball based on his own action/ability. And there are many starting QBs today who lack this skill.

Smith isn’t elite like Brady or Rodgers in terms of his overall skill set, but he is 100% an above average QB who can win games with the right weapons around him.

Been a believer in Smith since his fantastic showing with with 49ers when he put that team on his shoulders and led them to the NFC championship game. Always thought he got a raw deal being replaced by Kaepernick. 

He is not a guy like Brady who can gamecall and audible victories with second hand talent, raising the level of the entire team.

But he is a super solid QB with the ability - with the right weapons - to be a Top 10 QB talent, which he   is showing now.
Wow. I never said he only got cheap Tds I said almost half were on short dump off passes to running backs and shovel passes. The original poster pointed out that he had 11 TDS and 0 ints as part of the reason to consider him being Elite going forward and I pointed out that five of those were unimpressive Tds so nobody said he only scored that way. But u take away those away and 6 tds over 5 games is much less impressive than 11. 

The original poster was asking if Alex Smith is Elite going forward and then you go on to say that he's not Elite like Brady or Rodgers. So therefore you don't think he's Elite either but you like him as a person and the quarterback but that wasn't really the question if you think he's good. A simple no I don't think he's Elite would have sufficed. I think he's a pretty good quarterback as well but Elite? No.

I wouldn't even humor him anymore. Sounds like he's a little sour after the Week 1 game.

I'm believing Alex can keep this up throughout the remainder of the year. He's not TD dependent and the offense is just clicking so well. His schedule isn't anything that scares me. I had an offer of Dak for him straight up which I declined. As of this moment I consider anybody aside from Rodgers, Brady and Brees to be a downgrade from Alex. He may not be an elite QB, but he is playing at an elite level now with no reason to believe he will slow down (except historical trends doing him no favors).
Well I gave several reasons indicating it wouldn't last.

I was looking forward facing off against this elite QB in a matchup this week, but my opponent wisely started a different QB in place of the "Elite" Alex Smith, who is ranked just behind Hundley as the 27th best QB in avg scoring the past month. Is this just a temporary setback for the elite QB going forward or was the schedule kind to Smith to start the season? I did note that he benefited off the athleticism of his receivers on nearly half of his shovel/dumpoff pass TDs along with numerous short passes and gadget plays sprinkled in, but smoke and mirrors don't seem to be working anymore. I guess its time to just go back to basics and lean on Alex Smith the elite passer to bail them out going forward? Humor me some more. 

Well I gave several reasons indicating it wouldn't last.

I was looking forward facing off against this elite QB in a matchup this week, but my opponent wisely started a different QB in place of the "Elite" Alex Smith, who is ranked just behind Hundley as the 27th best QB in avg scoring the past month. Is this just a temporary setback for the elite QB going forward or was the schedule kind to Smith to start the season? I did note that he benefited off the athleticism of his receivers on nearly half of his shovel/dumpoff pass TDs along with numerous short passes and gadget plays sprinkled in, but smoke and mirrors don't seem to be working anymore. I guess its time to just go back to basics and lean on Alex Smith the elite passer to bail them out going forward? Humor me some more. 
I expect nothing less of you at this point. There's something about you Patriots fans where you can't help but be a cocky ##### to everybody you come into contact with. Goodjob with the "I told you so" 6 weeks later. I'm looking forward to your posts when Tom Brady retires.

Yes he was, and no he isn't.
But can he be again?

I think the Chiefs find a way to get back to what was working early in the season. This division is wide open for the taking.

Going to need some help from that defense and their O-line, both being gigantic sieves with the O line not helping with the run and not holding up under pass pro. Using the run to set up the pass and finding ways of setting up Kelce mismatches are the Chiefs' best operating plan that leads to success. 

Tommy Collins said:
I expect nothing less of you at this point. There's something about you Patriots fans where you can't help but be a cocky ##### to everybody you come into contact with. Goodjob with the "I told you so" 6 weeks later. I'm looking forward to your posts when Tom Brady retires.
No need to get "sour" about a wrong call. I make several per year. Still I raised several reasons to doubt he had made the jump to elite status aside from the obvious of a 33 year old journeyman with a large body of journeyman work. The stars aligned for him over a brief period of time, and he probably has a few good games left (remember I did say he was "good" and he has 3 of his next 4 games being plus matchups), but elite he is not. 

Users who are viewing this thread