What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Braylon Edwards droppable? (1 Viewer)

Abstract

Footballguy
O.K., I've tried to hang in there with Edwards this season and in 3 games he's scored a combined 13 points. I know Quinn has been killing him but Anderson didn't look much better when he came in. Is this dud droppable in re-draft leagues?

12 team, non-ppr.

Same boat you're in ... can't really see anything to do but wait on him.

The potential emergence of Mike Sims-Walker will probably relegate Edwards to my WR3, though.

I'm itching to drop this guy but I think I might wait and see what he does with Anderson after they've practice together for a week.

Has anyone fallen as far this fast as Edwards??
Is it really him as much as the QB mess this year?Haven't watched any of the games because thank god they don't televise that awful team here. Is he dropping them or is Quinn basically Jamarcus east?

Edwards and Housh are on my chopping block. Just feel like they are taking up a roster spot from someone that can actually benefit my team.

I'm in a 8 team Non-PPR so its a bit easier for me to drop Edwards

This guy was going to be a cornerstone on my dyanasty team along with MJD and Cutler. I paid big bucks for him in our startup auction last year and he has single handedly made my team middle of the road. If he even was putting up remotely decent stats, I'd be one of the favorites to win the league, but these 1, 2 & 3 catch games are killing me. I've kind of made it a running joke in the league that if I ever met him in person, I'd just punch him in the nuts without saying a word.

One thing is for sure, I will not be starting him anytime soon unless my entire receiving corps is on a bye or injured. I can't trade him for what his potential is, so I'm stuck with a wasted WR I can't trust to even get 50 yards a week.

Is it really him as much as the QB mess this year?Haven't watched any of the games because thank god they don't televise that awful team here. Is he dropping them or is Quinn basically Jamarcus east?
What about last year? I'm not being a jerk, I am just really curious as to how he can't catch a cold.
Uhhhh, that's why I specified "this year". Last year it was well documented he dropped alot, as most were able to get him round 5-6 this year.

What about last year? I'm not being a jerk, I am just really curious as to how he can't catch a cold.
Uhhhh, that's why I specified "this year". Last year it was well documented he dropped alot, as most were able to get him round 5-6 this year.
I drafted him at 5.10 as my #3 WR. He's responded by showing me turds. :angry:

My league mates laughed at me when I took this guy in the 8th round as a WR3. Now that they have pulled Brady, I'll be forced to keep him another week or two and most likely live to regret it!

I do not see him as worthy of dropping, but I also have no idea what is on your waiver wire...with what's on mine, he would be scooped up immediately.

You have waited 3 weeks, it looks like Anderson will be the guy next week...so why cut bait now? I would think that if ever there was a chance he could be worth something this year, this would be it.

I would sit tight for the next few weeks and see what happens. Trading isn't an option, and neither is cutting...at least from my perspective.

It was pretty clear today that Anderson is no better than Quinn, although that's no excuse for his drops. As a Braylon dynasty owner I can't wait until he gets away from the Browns and gets a real QB.

Easy, big guy.I am asking questions to gain information, not have you create warm spots in the pool.

as a dynasty owner i hope they open it up with anderson a bit more.. they aren't gonna win anything anyway so just sling the rock around! :confused:

From another thread "week three notes"

Braylon Edwards was extremely unlucky last year and it continued this year. Aside from playing a ludicrously hard set of passing defenses, he's changed quarterbacks seemingly every couple weeks.

In his first week with a new QB, Edwards has put up the following numbers for each QB:

Anderson: 2 catches, 14 yards

Quinn: 1 catch, 15 yards

Dorsey: 3 catches, 38 yards

Gradkowski: 1 catch, 5 yards

Quinn: 1 catch, 12 yards

Total: 8 catches, 84 yards, 0 TDs in 5 games

In a week when the QB changed:

Quinn -> Anderson: 5 catches, 85 yards

Anderson -> Dorsey: 2 catches, 36 yards

Dorsey -> Gradkowski: 4 catches, 31 yards

Quinn -> Anderson: 3 catches, 35 yards

Total: 14 catches, 187 yards, 0 TDs in 4 games

That's nine - almost half - of the last nineteen weeks that he's played with a quarterback who was getting his arms around the offense and didn't have much of a chance to establish timing with his receivers.

However, in those rare games when he not only got to play a full game with the same QB that started the prior week, but they also survived the whole game, his numbers were:

Anderson 3 catches, 32 yards against Pittsburgh, the #1 passing D in the league

Anderson 3 catches 27 yards against Baltimore, the #2 passing D in the league

Anderson 3 catches, 22 yards, 1 TD againt Cinci, the #15 passing D in the league

Anderson 5 catches, 154 yards, 1 TD (and a 2 pt conversion) against the Giants, the #8 passing D in the league

Anderson 4 catches, 58 yards (and a 2 pt conversion) against the Redskins, the #7 passing D in the league

Anderson 2 catches, 64 yards against Jacksonville, the #24 passing D in the league

Anderson 4 catches, 86 yards, 1 TD against Baltimore, the #2 passing D in the league

Quinn 8 catches, 104 yards against Buffalo, the #13 passing D in the league

Dorsey 5 catches, 102 yards against Philly, the #3 passing D in the league

Quinn 6 catches, 92 yards against Denver, the #2 passing D in the league so far in 2009

Total: 43 catches, 741 yards, 3 TDs (and two 2 pt conversions) in 10 games.

And while those still aren't tier one numbers, when you consider that they were against passing defenses that were ranked #1, #2, #2, #2, #3, #7, #8, #13, #15, and #24 passing defenses - when you consider that literally half of those games were against the top three pass defenses in the league - his pace for 69 catches, 1185 yards, and 5 TDs isn't bad.

I know people are quick to point out that Anderson is better for Edwards than Quinn, or that Edwards has dropped off, but I think it's more a case of the QB changing. And again, his schedule should be much easier for the remainder of the year. So when I see Braylon go through yet another down day with yet another QB change midstream, and Mangini saying that he hasn't decided who will start next week, I probably have to show Edwards the bench. If he decides soon that Quinn is going to start this week, Braylon probably starts for me. But after that, he's in my lineup until the next QB change.
Great post. Awesome analysis.I want to believe. I really, really do.

But what I see is Cincinnati, at Buffalo, at Pittsburgh, Green Bay, at Chicago up thru the Week 9 bye.

The only matchup I like is at Chicago. Each of the others has a decent top CB. I like the second half schedule much more, but unfortunately, I've matched up against the #2, #1 and #2 scorers in one league in which I have Edwards, and I don't think I can wait it out when I'm truly up against it at 0-3. Now I realize that no one is checking this thread to see my awful matchup luck, but I suppose others may be in a tough situation, as Edwards' "production" is helping more teams to lose than to win at this point. I'm not sure fantasy teams that are 1-2 or certainly not 0-3 can wait until Edwards gets a consistent QB and better defensive matchups. And I'm not sure I want to tether any part of my fantasy team to a franchise that has one offensive TD in nine games (garbage time, no less) and is in the top three for #1 pick in the 2010 draft.

Abstract said:
O.K., I've tried to hang in there with Edwards this season and in 3 games he's scored a combined 13 points. I know Quinn has been killing him but Anderson didn't look much better when he came in. Is this dud droppable in re-draft leagues?12 team, non-ppr.
Braylon Edwards should not have been drafted as a starting fantasy WR, so of course he is droppable. Now, if you actually DID draft him as a starting WR, you probably have bigger problems.

Reposting this here because it may belong in the thread specifically about Edwards. Suffice to say, I don't think Edwards is "droppable" - I think he's a buy.

Total: 43 catches, 741 yards, 3 TDs (and two 2 pt conversions) in 10 games. And while those still aren't tier one numbers, when you consider that they were against passing defenses that were ranked #1, #2, #2, #2, #3, #7, #8, #13, #15, and #24 passing defenses - when you consider that literally half of those games were against the top three pass defenses in the league - his pace for 69 catches, 1185 yards, and 5 TDs isn't bad.
I want to believe. I really, really do.But what I see is Cincinnati, at Buffalo, at Pittsburgh, Green Bay, at Chicago up thru the Week 9 bye.The only matchup I like is at Chicago. Each of the others has a decent top CB. I like the second half schedule much more...
Well, like I said, when he wasn't changing QBs midstream, Edwards put up quality numbers against an even tougher schedule than that. In fact, his overall schedule last year was the worst I've ever seen. He played the #1 twice, #2 twice, #3, #6, #7, and #8 passing defenses. Yes, he has some fairly tough matchups over the next few weeks, but that doesn't mean he's unstartable during that time. And you're not going to get enough for him selling low right now to substantially improve your team. So if you're afraid to start him, I say hold, and look for a decent scrub WR you can put in to hold the fort until you've seen some production from him.
After the game, the Ravens commented that the loss of Kellen Winslow has made it much easier to double and triple team Edwards. They may need to work a RB into the passing game more or just commit to the run to be successful. It seems very strange that the Browns would dismantle their offense by dumping Winslow and not commit to the run. They are throwing it way too much for the personnel they now have. Unless they get another true receiving threat I don't think anyone should compare what Edwards has done in the past to his current situation.
All that may be true, but that isn't necessarily bad for Edwards. First, Edwards was able to break free against Denver for 6 catches, 92 yards last week before running into the Ravens. The same Denver team that's leading the league in defense right now and second in passing defense. Second, just because the Ravens were able to hold him in check - in another game while he changed QBs midstream - doesn't mean everyone else will. Third, the amount of garbage time they're getting, with teams going to the prevent defense late in the game and possibly resting defensive starters more, is good for Edwards' fantasy numbers. In the fourth quarter of games the last four years, Braylon Edwards had 23, 35, 36, and 44 targets, respectively. He ended catching 12 of those 23 his rookie year, then 12/35, and 19/36, but only 9 of 43 last year. That's a huge dropoff, and a large part of that can be attributed to the quarterback changes. While I can understand teams trying to lock down on Edwards early in the game, in garbage time, he can still put up numbers. Fourth, during that same span, Winslow had 39, 45, and 22 targets. So when Winslow missed time last year, Edwards' garbage time targets went up by 20-25%. Fifth, I think it's right to wonder what the loss of Winslow will do to his numbers. It might be good for Edwards, or it might be bad. The thing I was addressing was the question: was Edwards' big 2007 season a fluke? And I think his stats with QB stability vs. changes midstream tell a fairly convincing story - 2007 may have been a little fluky on the good side, but 2008 was really fluky on the bad side. So in that sense, it's very relevant to look at 2007 and 2008. To address your concern about Winslow, we should look at the weeks when Winslow was out last year - which also corresponded with a down year from Edwards. If the loss of Winslow is the real problem, then it would stand to reason that Edwards' numbers should have been lower in games when Winslow was out. But the stats don't bear that out:Week 5: 5 catches, 154 yards, 1 TDWeek 8: 2 catches, 64 yardsWeek 14: 3 catches, 38 yardsWeek 15: 5 catches, 102 yardsWeek 16: 4 catches, 35 yardsWeek 17: 1 catch, 5 yardsIn 6 games, that's 20 catches, 398 yards and a TD - which prorates out to 54/1130/3. Obviously that's not a huge sample size - but bear in mind that in weeks 14-17, they were playing with their third and fourth string quarterbacks, and that the two 100+ yard games were against the Giants and Philly, both of which were top pass defenses last year. So it's hard to say that the loss of Winslow is as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

Abstract said:
O.K., I've tried to hang in there with Edwards this season and in 3 games he's scored a combined 13 points. I know Quinn has been killing him but Anderson didn't look much better when he came in. Is this dud droppable in re-draft leagues?12 team, non-ppr.
Braylon Edwards should not have been drafted as a starting fantasy WR, so of course he is droppable. Now, if you actually DID draft him as a starting WR, you probably have bigger problems.
In my league we start 3 WR's and I drafted him as my #3 WR. Other than an injury to LT, he's the only problem child on my roster.

Abstract said:
In my league we start 3 WR's and I drafted him as my #3 WR. Other than an injury to LT, he's the only problem child on my roster.
i got nate burleson sitting right there for me in the waiver wire. but im giving edwards 2 weeks tops

Abstract said:
i got nate burleson sitting right there for me in the waiver wire. but im giving edwards 2 weeks tops
:goodposting: Burleson should be on a team, and starting.

Best thing that happened is Brady getting pulled. Anderson is better at throwing it downfield, which plays into Edwards strength. Don't start him until he shows worthy of a start, but put him on tail of roster. Things could change for him w/ Anderson as the QB. CLE sure will have to pass a lot, as we can all see that they will always need to catch up being behind in games.

I have him and someone else dropped housmandzadeh. I think its safe to drop him for Housh but you just never know what you might end up regretting later.

Anderson throws the ball deep and doesn't hesitate to throw it into triple coverage...might now be a great time to gamble on Braylon with a buy low?

He is hard to drop....but then again, if he was available, I wouldn't pick him up.

I think better days are ahead for him. He is a downhill football player and someone got in his kitchen today. After he got in that fight with Sims he disappeared. He seems to do that a lot, but with DA at QB he will come around eventually.

After he got in that fight with Sims he disappeared.
So I take it the fight with Sims must've happened during the pre game warm ups? I mean lets be honest here, from the game stats, 0 receptions for 0 receiving yards & 0 rushes for 0 rushing yards, looks to me like Braylon disappeared for all 5 quarters.

After he got in that fight with Sims he disappeared.
So I take it the fight with Sims must've happened during the pre game warm ups? I mean lets be honest here, from the game stats, 0 receptions for 0 receiving yards & 0 rushes for 0 rushing yards, looks to me like Braylon disappeared for all 5 quarters.
Yeah, that fight happened later in game.To be fair, he was targeted a couple of times in the end zone when the Browns were in the Red Zone.

He dropped an easy first down on the 1st drive. Had a couple of targets later, but DA mostly keyed on Massaquoi.

I am just saying this guy has to be a headcase. If his first play is a drop or anything else bad he disappears. It might be in Cleveland's best interests to start him out with a WR screen or reverse. Almost all of his good games are the result of making a play early in the game.

Massaquoi replacing Edwards for those of us who drank the Kool Aid?
Only league I have Edwards is a yahoo so I just grabbed Massaquoi. Can't believe I am benching Edwards and Royal from here on out. Hard to recover when you whiff on your WR2 and WR3.

I think better days are ahead for him. He is a downhill football player and someone got in his kitchen today. After he got in that fight with Sims he disappeared. He seems to do that a lot, but with DA at QB he will come around eventually.
Better days are ahead for him? How could it get any worse than 0 catches?

Better days are ahead for him? How could it get any worse than 0 catches?
I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread discussing dropping Braylon Edwards. Jennings and TO took goose eggs in recent weeks, and there was not a mass exodus. He is too talented to stink the entire year with DA back at QB.

Users who are viewing this thread