What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Hue Jackson the worst Head Coach in the history of sport? (2 Viewers)

I think Rick Ley stripping Ron Francis of his captainship in Hartford might have been worse than anything Hue ever did. He stripped his captaincy, got Ron traded, and the franchise wound up leaving the city eventually. 

That's pretty bad.  

I don't know about the history of sports in general, but Kyle Shanahan is pretty bad. he's just slightly better than hue jackson was. is SF going to win another game this season? probably not. that's 2 years of futility, on a team that was supposed to win about 10 games this year ( sorry Cowherd, but you're wrong again!) 

what makes hue jackson so bad is the fact that he refuses to believe that he is/was bad. and the ego 'this is my team' business wore thin. 

Dude the Colts recently fired was pretty bad, too. sheesh..

I don't know about the history of sports in general, but Kyle Shanahan is pretty bad. he's just slightly better than hue jackson was. is SF going to win another game this season? probably not. that's 2 years of futility, on a team that was supposed to win about 10 games this year ( sorry Cowherd, but you're wrong again!) 

what makes hue jackson so bad is the fact that he refuses to believe that he is/was bad. and the ego 'this is my team' business wore thin. 

Shanahan is 6-2 with Garoppolo at QB.

Chuck Pagano won 11 games twice and has a career record above .500.

Neither one of them deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jackson.

Fisher was pretty good for a long time before he got bad.

Hue has a .205 winning percentage. Yeah, he's the worst.
Was he?  It's hard to isolate sometimes...  I dont think going by coach record is very meaningful.  Really ####ty coaches with good QBs are going to win a lot more than really ####ty coaches with bad QBs.

Was he?  It's hard to isolate sometimes...  I dont think going by coach record is very meaningful.  Really ####ty coaches with good QBs are going to win a lot more than really ####ty coaches with bad QBs.
He seemed more than competent. McNair was good but he Fisher also had some success with Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Vince young and Billy volek. There weren't many superstars on the team although Eddie George was great. 

Personally I think he was good enough most years to keep the Rams from being total embarrassments but the game had largely passed him by the last 5 years and he just rode his prior success too long.

Basically a better Marvin Lewis.

Well he's starting a rookie free agent QB not named Kurt Warner, with not good receivers and Matt breida, his stud lb was an idiot...  so he gets a pass for now.

You'd be hard pressed to find a worse roster right now than SF.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seemed more than competent. McNair was good but he Fisher also had some success with Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Vince young and Billy volek. There weren't many superstars on the team although Eddie George was great. 

Personally I think he was good enough most years to keep the Rams from being total embarrassments but the game had largely passed him by the last 5 years and he just rode his prior success too long.

Basically a better Marvin Lewis.
Jeff Fisher was a head coach for 22 seasons. He was certainly mediocre (only 6 years above .500) but he's way better than most of the other palookas mentioned in this thread.

He went 10-6 with Vince Freaking Young as his quarterback for pete's sake.

[scooter] said:
Jeff Fisher was a head coach for 22 seasons. He was certainly mediocre (only 6 years above .500) but he's way better than most of the other palookas mentioned in this thread.

He went 10-6 with Vince Freaking Young as his quarterback for pete's sake.
That was the entire problem with Fisher. He was also only under .500 11/22 seasons. He was just good enough to be average every year. He only had two specifically bad years until his final year. 

For me the metric for coaching is how do you translate the talent you’re given into winning.

Thats why Belichick’s crowning achievement will always be going 11-5 without Tom Brady (08?).

You can’t watch the Browns this year and come away with any conclusion other than Hue Jackson was making them a lot worse than they are.  Terrible football coach.

I thought I'd get cute and go way way back to the 20's, with teams like The Rochester Jeffersons, who had three ...0....wins in three seasons, but they kept firing/hiring, so three different coachs. Tons of terrible teams back then, but coachs never stayed long, so forget that.

Would have to dig a lot deeper than I want to dig to give a real legit answer to this but it's really easy to say Hue Jackson does belong in this discussion.

:lol:

pitts fans are actually so new to this feeling that they say stuff like this.
I've said this 3 years after TomlinS coaching that he is a pathetic coach who never learns!  Surround him with all the talent in the world it doesnt matter cause he will cost you games.   Give  me Hue any day!  At least he would be something different!

Agree. Some of the worst coaches of all time had HOF QBs which masked their ineptitude and inflated their overall record.

Bingo!  Although I think your comment is sarcasm.
Not sarcasm. And conversely there have been some good coaches that just never got paired with a good QB. And then sometimes you get a Vermeil/Warner season which is still my favorite ever and I'm not even a Rams fan.

Any of the following are much worse:

- Les Steckel

- Ted Marchibroda

- Rich Kotite

- Lane Kiffin

Chip Kelly

Part of the reason why Hue Jackson is so memorable is he was kept so long, I am sure there were worse coaches but they were fired faster.

That was the entire problem with Fisher. He was also only under .500 11/22 seasons. He was just good enough to be average every year. He only had two specifically bad years until his final year. 
Yeah we need a "Is Jeff Fisher the most average coach in history?" thread :)

-QG

I've said this 3 years after TomlinS coaching that he is a pathetic coach who never learns!  Surround him with all the talent in the world it doesnt matter cause he will cost you games.   Give  me Hue any day!  At least he would be something different!
That he would be....

-QG

:no:

Took the Bengals to a Super Bowl.

-QG
Yeah well Hue Jackson took the Browns to the Super Bowl.

Oops, sorry, my quotation key wasn't working properly. I meant to say Hue Jackson took the "Browns" to the "Super Bowl". 🚽🚽 🚽

Chip Kelly

Part of the reason why Hue Jackson is so memorable is he was kept so long, I am sure there were worse coaches but they were fired faster.
Doesn't even make sense to mention him. He had a massively successful 5 year run in college and in his first year in the NFL went 10-6 (with a team that was 4-12 the year before). 

Not in any way comparable to Hue. 

Half this thread is legit the other half is crazy.  Tomlin one of the worst?  What?  Dude won a superbowl and Pitt has been a playoff team for almost his entire career. Shanny starting an entire team of backups is the worst?  What?

But to answer op - the worst coach in the modern era is Hue, no question.

Which brings about who were the worst GMs/owners in history.  Coaches don't hire themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread