What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it fair for Raider fans to be bitter about Randy Moss? (1 Viewer)

I'd also caution Patriot fans to remember just how rosey the honeymoon was in PHI with Terrell Owens. McNabb-to-Owens seemed like the best thing since sliced bread. PHI was winning and finally had an offense to go with that defense. At the mid-point of TO's first season in PHI was there really any doubt TO would finish his career in PHI with 2-3 shots at a title???

When you are dealing with super-talented super-egotistical players things can change very, very fast. With the additions of Welker/Stallworth/Thomas I think NE could have beat INDY last season in INDY. You never know when a TOesque drama can dismantle a franchise. NE can release him and cut all financial ties relatively easily but PHI had to endure TO questions for a year after he played his last game for them. What if Moss and his agent want to revisit that contract he just slashed and extend it? Do you honestly think there won't be any talk of an extension before the end of this season? NE is seen as a hard liner but they just bent over backwards for Seymour. They greased that squeaky wheel and while he's a very good player he never had the impact Moss is having right now.

oak fans may still get a chance at the last laugh yet. Stranger things have happened. Ask bitter Niner fans stuck with #81 jerseys watching TO light it up in PHI for 3/4rths of a season.

RAIDERNATION said:
In Oakland, the offense was putrid. No argument. The line didn't give the QB enough time to get Moss the ball. He was frustrated. Can't blame him there. But instead of sticking around to TRY to make things better (you know, maybe living up to the "captain" billing he was given... and what a complete joke that was), he sulks and whines and regularly quits on plays and asks for a trade.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :unsure:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time great squad.

I'm pissed that clowns like this get to dictate where they play, and how hard they play, and I don't care who knows it.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :shrug:
Of course you should be mad, mad the Raiders brought Art Shell back to coach and kill a team last year. The Raiders are so close to being a good team its not funny. If J.Russel is as advertised, a couple of small additions are made in the off season and the Raiders have another good draft, the AFC west is yours. I see the Raiders in accent and the Chargers in decline. I'm a 49er fan and I believe the Raiders will sniff the playoffs long before my Niners sniff a .500 season. You should be thrilled, Russel, Higgens, Bush will be solid players going forward and for years to come.I pretty much completely hate San Diego, they are not a legit NFL City and I have no use for them or their crying fan base. NE beat them fair and square and the only thing you hear from the little Blond Surfer dudes in SOCAL is how the Pats cheated. They drove off a great coach and are stuck with Norv Turner, they got what they deserve. LT will never have a superbowl title, ever. Go Silver and Black.

IN high school, I came in second place in league wide voting for league MVP in soccer, on a team that was 0 -10 - 2. I WAS THE GOALKEEPER.

Bottom line is this...I would be bitter if I was a Raiders fan. I am bitter now as a FOOTBALL FAN. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT GIVE 100% in his sport does not deserve to be paid, does not deserve accolades, or anything else. It irritates me more then anything to see someone dogging it just because his team sucks. I LOATHE athletes like Moss, and I consider it a shame that people like him will still get into the HOF.

I have a lot of respect for Moss' physical abilities. I have no respect for him as a person or player.

If he was on my team and acted like that, yeah, I'd be bitter.

Perhaps a question to ask is, why do fans loathe other fans who are fair weather fans and who abandon the team during tough times, but blindly forgive a player who does the same thing?

I'd also caution Patriot fans to remember just how rosey the honeymoon was in PHI with Terrell Owens. McNabb-to-Owens seemed like the best thing since sliced bread. PHI was winning and finally had an offense to go with that defense. At the mid-point of TO's first season in PHI was there really any doubt TO would finish his career in PHI with 2-3 shots at a title???When you are dealing with super-talented super-egotistical players things can change very, very fast. With the additions of Welker/Stallworth/Thomas I think NE could have beat INDY last season in INDY. You never know when a TOesque drama can dismantle a franchise. NE can release him and cut all financial ties relatively easily but PHI had to endure TO questions for a year after he played his last game for them. What if Moss and his agent want to revisit that contract he just slashed and extend it? Do you honestly think there won't be any talk of an extension before the end of this season? NE is seen as a hard liner but they just bent over backwards for Seymour. They greased that squeaky wheel and while he's a very good player he never had the impact Moss is having right now.oak fans may still get a chance at the last laugh yet. Stranger things have happened. Ask bitter Niner fans stuck with #81 jerseys watching TO light it up in PHI for 3/4rths of a season.
No NE fan or anyone associated with NE in any way worries about this. Guaranteed. Brady is not McNabb. And Moss is not TO. TO was a knucklehead in a league of his own in his Philly days. To Moss' credit, he's never come close to that kindof behavior. Noone ever has. And there wont be any contract talk before the end of the season with Moss because of either his contract language or league rules. Cant take place until after the Superbowl. I forget where I saw that, but I dont feel like digging it up. But thats one distraction that wont be happening. Losing in may happen a little. Im not going to say theyre beyond losing. But theyre not about to be ripped apart by anything, including Moss. Oakland fans should move on. We've all had a sweet hottie of a girlfriend in our younger days that didnt work out. We all move on. Oakland fans will no doubt do the same.

He's totally a front runner. There's no doubt if things started going bad for the pats (aka Brady injured) We'd see the old Randy.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen.
Are people really saying all these things? I certainly don't think Moss is any more of a team player now than he was with Minnesota or Oakland. The difference is that he has a competent coach, a superstar QB, and better teammates.Do Raider fans really believe that Art Shell, Tom Walsh and Aaron Brooks would have led them to the playoffs if Randy Moss had only given 110%?
I'm a Pats fan and the only one of the things that people are saying is the "terrific citizen" thing - and that's only because he's kept his mouth shut and just played.

Regardless of how dysfunctional the Raiders were during Moss' time there, the fact is he was getting paid a lot of money to play football and owed the team 100% effort. Even if he thought the team was terrible and the situation was horrible, which it certainly was and speaks to Davis' senility as much as anything else, Moss was still getting millions of dollars to play - he owed his team his best effort in every game because I imagine he got 100% of his game checks. It wasn't Moss' job to run the team or develop a coherent offense, it was his job to play wide receiver as best he could. He didn't do that and while it wasn't a huge surprise given his antics in Minnesota, it doesn't excuse his conduct. Regardless of how many touchdowns he scores this season, any NFL fan with a brain has seen just how little character and respect for the game Moss has.

massraider said:
Gr00vus said:
I guess Raider fans could be bitter about Moss, but I'd be more bitter with the Raider organization which still looks like it doesn't know what it's doing and couldn't be competitive enough to keep Moss interested.
Warren Sapp, a player who has known more success than Moss ever has, at any level, still managed to be a stud for a 2-14 team.
:football: Now that's bitterness

The Clemens line is a good one, but what Clemens did during his final years in Boston is nothing compared to Randy Moss. He was still a good pitcher at his worst. It's obvious he did lose focus and let his game go down a notch, but he didn't disappear the way Moss did last year (if Moss put up a year like 2005 again in 2006, I think the comparison would have probably been spot on).

I think Raiders fans shouldn't be too upset, but fans of the other 30 teams should be pissed the Raiders let him go so easily. That trade has had a serious impact on parity within the league. The Pats got him for a song and will benefit for a while (unless prima donna Randy comes back).

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen.
Are people really saying all these things? I certainly don't think Moss is any more of a team player now than he was with Minnesota or Oakland. The difference is that he has a competent coach, a superstar QB, and better teammates.Do Raider fans really believe that Art Shell, Tom Walsh and Aaron Brooks would have led them to the playoffs if Randy Moss had only given 110%?
I'm a Pats fan and the only one of the things that people are saying Spike has personally heard is the "terrific citizen" thing - and that's only because he's kept his mouth shut and just played.
fixedI heard all four things I typed... and more than once. It's laughable that he is suddenly the perfect teammate.

RAIDERNATION said:
In Oakland, the offense was putrid. No argument. The line didn't give the QB enough time to get Moss the ball. He was frustrated. Can't blame him there. But instead of sticking around to TRY to make things better (you know, maybe living up to the "captain" billing he was given... and what a complete joke that was), he sulks and whines and regularly quits on plays and asks for a trade.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :excited:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time great squad.

I'm pissed that clowns like this get to dictate where they play, and how hard they play, and I don't care who knows it.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :thumbup:
I think someone should tell you where YOU'RE going to work so you can worry about that instead of #####ing about other people.if oakland wanted to keep him maybe they shouldn't run such a crapass organization and put a little effort into winning.

teamwork goes both ways.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
I'm a Pats fan and the only one of the things that people are saying Spike has personally heard is the "terrific citizen" thing - and that's only because he's kept his mouth shut and just played.
fixedI heard all four things I typed... and more than once. It's laughable that he is suddenly the perfect teammate.
Make up whatever you'd like - and, make no mistake, that's what you've done here - but no one has stated that Moss is a mentor to the young players or a role model. No one.

I'd also caution Patriot fans to remember just how rosey the honeymoon was in PHI with Terrell Owens.
No NE fan or anyone associated with NE in any way worries about this. Guaranteed.
Which of course explains why NE signed Moss to that extra-long one-year contract. :confused:
cmon, jerk. would I lie to you? The contract situation occurred several months ago. We're living in the now, bro.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Make up whatever you'd like - and, make no mistake, that's what you've done here - but no one has stated that Moss is a mentor to the young players or a role model. No one.
I'm pretty sure I've heard several Patriot players say that.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Let him go. His dementia is entertaining.

It happens to every team. Seahawks traded away Ahman Green because he was a decent enough back but put the ball on the ground way too much, then he goes on to become one of the dominant RBs for a few years, and held on to the rock. You got a 4th out of him that was about the best you could hope for. But it certainlyisn't fun to see a dud on your team go on to be a stud somewhere else. Especially when he's key in beating your team several times in the future, including a playoff loss.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Tom Brady has said at least three of those four things repeatedly. Most notably that he's a model teammate and mentor.

Last edited by a moderator:
TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Tom Brady has said at least three of those four things repeatedly. Most notably that he's a model teammate and mentor.
Cool. I'm sure you'll have no problem providing some links and quotes to back up those claims. :nerd:

It happens to every team. Seahawks traded away Ahman Green because he was a decent enough back but put the ball on the ground way too much, then he goes on to become one of the dominant RBs for a few years, and held on to the rock.
Big difference though. Green didn't intentionally tank for the Seahawks.

Moss was paid to do a job and he didn't do it. "When the going gets tough" Randy Moss plays dead! To me this will alway be a strike against him. I would keep him out of the HOF because of it.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
That can't possibly be true... SPIKE NEVER HEARD ANY OF THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!!!11

Sometimes it's simply the right place, right time. His time in Oakland was tainted with injuries, poor coaching, poor QBs, bad ownership decisions, etc. He needed a fresh start.

TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Cool. I'm sure you'll have no problem providing some links and quotes to back up those claims. :excited:
Let me call up SportsCenter and get their tapes. You can eat popcorn all you want, Brady said it on TV in post game interviews more than once. As many people are telling you. Deny it all you want, you're the only one buying it.

fyi -- moss is mentoring chad.

and if anybody thinks moss is going to produce on that sorryass oakland team, which may be the worst offense in modern history, like he produces on what may be the best, needs to pull their head out of their...sand.

It happens to every team. Seahawks traded away Ahman Green because he was a decent enough back but put the ball on the ground way too much, then he goes on to become one of the dominant RBs for a few years, and held on to the rock.
Big difference though. Green didn't intentionally tank for the Seahawks.
That's true, not trying to draw an exact comparasin. Just that it happens a lot and is natural to feel bitter when it happens.

and if anybody thinks moss is going to produce on that sorryass oakland team, which may be the worst offense in modern history, like he produces on what may be the best, needs to pull their head out of their...sand.
Way to miss the point. :goodposting:

[scooter] said:
TommyGilmore said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Cool. I'm sure you'll have no problem providing some links and quotes to back up those claims. :goodposting:
Let me call up SportsCenter and get their tapes. You can eat popcorn all you want, Brady said it on TV in post game interviews more than once.
Brady also said he got your mom pregnant.
That's as plausible as Moss now being a choir boy.

I'd be pissed too, heck, I was pissed he got traded to N.England because I'm a Steeler fan and N.England gave up nothing for him.

I know Al wanted to get anything for the guy but why not at least ship him over to the NFC, just incase the Raiders actually did something the next couple years, they wouldn't have to face him in the playoffs at least...I'm surprised nobody has brought this up before, but then again, nobody thought the Raiders had any chance of being a playoff team the next couple years except raider fan.

I also believe he's a front runner and IF theres a miracle and things turn around and start to get down in N.England , Randy will get out fast...

Also, with Moss things can change real quick and there's alot of football to be played yet this year and he could still blow up in thier faces before the season is over...but I think Brady is too smart not to keep him happy by throwing him the ball alot, I saw the one TD where Brady basically threw it up for grabs into TRIPLE coverage just to have Randy go over everyone and come down with the TD.

RAIDERNATION said:

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :goodposting:

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :X

RN,

I feel the exact same way that you do. If we didn't already have a reason to hate the Pats, Moss is the ultimate last straw. The Pats are a very good team right now, but I hope that they get a taste of "Oakland" Moss sometime this year. If not, there's a much better chance of them not cashing this year than Pats' fans will have you believe.

It just boggles my mind how many Pats' fans last year berated Moss until he made the move to their team. Hypocrisy at its finest. Combine that with the Tuck, Cameragate, and that smug Belichick attitude and I will be praying that something goes awry for New England. Yes, I'm very ####### bitter.

I think you dudes deserve oakland.

maybe it's all that negativity that makes them suck so badly.

the pats won't be getting 'oakland moss' because they know how to run an f'ing operation.

that's why you guys didn't get a taste of 'new england moss'.

here's an idea --- keep blaming him for your problems, team will turn right around.

if that doesn't work, cry on mommy's lap.

i dont give a ##### about moss and am just glad he isn't on the team anymore. Biggest POS i've ever seen

those who think this "choir boy" will last are in for a rude awakening. When will it be? Who knows. Maybe their first loss maybe in the playoffs maybe in a year but it will definitely happen. I remember the first four games Moss was a Raider he was kicking ### too then once things started to go bad well you know what happened

I think you dudes deserve oakland.maybe it's all that negativity that makes them suck so badly.the pats won't be getting 'oakland moss' because they know how to run an f'ing operation.that's why you guys didn't get a taste of 'new england moss'.here's an idea --- keep blaming him for your problems, team will turn right around.if that doesn't work, cry on mommy's lap.
Welcome to FBGs. Glad to have your contributions over the last six weeks.

I think you dudes deserve oakland.maybe it's all that negativity that makes them suck so badly.the pats won't be getting 'oakland moss' because they know how to run an f'ing operation.that's why you guys didn't get a taste of 'new england moss'.here's an idea --- keep blaming him for your problems, team will turn right around.if that doesn't work, cry on mommy's lap.
Another quality post from the NE faithful. Stay classy.

I think you dudes deserve oakland.

maybe it's all that negativity that makes them suck so badly.

the pats won't be getting 'oakland moss' because they know how to run an f'ing operation.

that's why you guys didn't get a taste of 'new england moss'.

here's an idea --- keep blaming him for your problems, team will turn right around.

if that doesn't work, cry on mommy's lap.
whose blaming moss anyway? Oakland screwed up bad by trading their #1 for him and they are paying it for it now. It's the FO fault for trying a "quick fix" which usually never work.lol you just wait Moss will get kicked to the curb eventually just like he did in FSU,Minny,Oak etc

If he aint dogging it on the field he is lighting up a fatty (oh wait that was only once in a blue moon right), running over metor maids, walking off the field, cussing out coaches etc

Its an endless cycle with moss.

1) Vows to change

2) Coaches/people say he has matured, hell of a teammate and a good person

3) Immediatley kicks butt on the field

4) Everyone gets a boner and says how good he is

5) problems arise

6) Problems snow ball, Moss declines

7) Moss gives up/acts a fool

8) Moss leaves

9) Repeat cycle

of course with New England the "honeymoon period" should be longer with Brady there etc but it wont last

lol heres an old article back when he was at Marshall. Pretty much any new place moss ends up says the same things

http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/Issue29/heisman.html

When you hire a shark, you know from the start how the shark will behave. If you expect the shark to act like a dolphin, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :goodposting:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time-great squad.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :rolleyes:
No, it's not fair. You got exactly what you paid for. Everyone knew all this information before he went to the Raiders. The fact that a Raider fan can be surprised, shocked, or angry about this is just sour grapes.

fyi -- moss is mentoring chad.and if anybody thinks moss is going to produce on that sorryass oakland team, which may be the worst offense in modern history, like he produces on what may be the best, needs to pull their head out of their...sand.
LOL @ "produce". Production was not the issue. Effort was. Moss is a fair weather friend. He's a coward when there's adversity. I don't respect that, and it's amusing to me that the Pats players and fans are trying to spin his successful season this year as arising from him being a good teammate as opposed to a fair weather friend on a good team.

I think it's very fair to be pissed.I also think that any Patriots fan who is now loving Moss and is forever forbidden from complaining about Roger Clemens and the way he phoned it in during his final Red Sox years before going on to win repeated Cy Young Awards with Toronto and New York.
I think most blame management for letting Clemens get away. Although it's true people still give him #### for mailing it in at the end there.

Also if the Patriots were 1-6 and 30th in passing yards in the NFL, Moss would have a hamstring injury right now.

For any fellow Patriot fan to think otherwise is delusional, IMO.

I have no respect for him as a man... all the respect in the world for his talent... but not as a man..

He got himself fired on prupose.. he was Paid some nice dough to be the leader of Oakland and he turned his back on them...

If anything... he should give last yrs paycheck back..

I once heard a saying " You aren't judged by the things that happen to you in life, you are judged by the way you react to the things that happen to you in life'.

To call Moss a dog would be unfair to dogs everywhere. His behavior while a member of the Raiders was as sorry as I have ever seen from a professional athlete.

The think the biggest difference in his performances from Oakland to NE is the difference in the offensive lines. When he was in Oakland, it didn’t matter if he got open because the QB rarely had time to get him the ball, so he gave up; not condoning it just saying. In NE, he knows that the Brady will have all day to throw the ball.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :lmao:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time-great squad.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :hot:
No. I'd be pissed that I rooted for a team whose owner/management didn't have the ability to put together a team worthy of Moss' skills.

Should the Raiders fans be P.O.'d? I'm sure they are for obvious reasons discussed here. If I were a Raider fan, I would be pi$$ed off, yes, but I'd compare and contrast the two situations...

Right now, Moss has a 3-time Superbowl-winning QB throwing to him. You don't get to be a 3-time SB QB by accident. 'Nuff said!

Who did Moss have throwing to him in Oakland? Maybe if Rich Gannon was still there and playing like he did under Gruden, Moss would have done much better but Aaron Brooks? C'mon now - be real! Hmmm... let's see here, Superbowl winner QB or a QB who's nickname is "Sport Goofy"??? Dunno, tough choice!

Look at the organizations. New England is a "tight ship" run by a no-nonsense head coach. Oakland still thinks they are back in the Madden days when all you had to do was "just win, baby." and discipline was optional. (New England's motto is "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying hard enough!)

I'll use this example: you take a skilled race car driver and put him in a Toyota Prius and ask him to run and win the Indy 500 in that car, you get a guaranteed loser! You take that same skilled driver and put him in an Indy car set with all the bells and whistles and he does a lot better and becomes a winner. Any surprise?

As long as Oakland keeps and propagates that "image" of "bad-####" and no discipline, not only will they be picking early in many future drafts, the level of talented players wanting to go there when compared to a team like New England or Indy, will just not be there. You can try and be "bad-###" all you want but unless you win, "bad-###" translates to "loser" and no one wants to go play for a loser!

I wonder if guys would be so bitter if NE were 4-3 and Moss had 14 catches for 170yds and 1 score. A hypothetical we dont have the answer to, but let it go. Jim Plunkett was an absolute dog in NE, but he moved on to Oakland and won a couple of rings. He was the the 1st overall draft pick long ago, and amounted to SQUAT for the Patriots. I didnt spend the rest of my days hating the guy. Not saying I dont understand, but let it go.

Users who are viewing this thread