What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is JStew a viable RB #2 (1 Viewer)

Addai's Adidas

Footballguy
I've been watching him a bit on someone else's team and he is out performing my supposed #2 Rb' like Perry and K. Smith.

What is the opinion on him? Climbing? He is in a RBBC, but each seems to be doing rather well in the commitee.

Last week's game did not help. D Will had 3 Tds and Stewart fumbled. I think he has more talent, but is not taking advantage of his chances.

Last week's game did not help. D Will had 3 Tds and Stewart fumbled. I think he has more talent, but is not taking advantage of his chances.
All of DeAngelo's touchdowns came from over 10 yards out. Stewart is getting most, if not all of the short yardage looks. That should mean more TDs this year, plus he seems to have the ability to break a few runs off. I think it is only a matter of time before he starts taking over, and this is from an uneasy DeAngelo owner.

I've been watching him a bit on someone else's team and he is out performing my supposed #2 Rb' like Perry and K. Smith.What is the opinion on him? Climbing? He is in a RBBC, but each seems to be doing rather well in the commitee.
I have DWilliams ... I just offered Perry for Stewart and got rejected.I am going to up the offer

I've been watching him a bit on someone else's team and he is out performing my supposed #2 Rb' like Perry and K. Smith.What is the opinion on him? Climbing? He is in a RBBC, but each seems to be doing rather well in the commitee.
I have DWilliams ... I just offered Perry for Stewart and got rejected.I am going to up the offer
I am in the Hines Ward area now.

I am in the Hines Ward area now.
I own JStew and it would take more than Perry or Hines Ward for me to make a deal. Stewart is consistently getting 15-17 carries a game and all of the goalline opportunities on a team that looks solid running the ball and usually plays with a lead . He's currently a strong RB2 in my eyes.

I've been begging for Roy Williams to have a good day so I can trade for him.

I agree with most who believe it is just a matter of time before JStew takes over.

Lost in last week's great performance by DWilly is that the pair touched the ball a relatively equal number of times (20 for JStew, 21 for DWilly) and a relatively equal distribution throughout the game. Now might be a great time to take a stab at JStew - the fear of a RBBC with DWilly is at it's high point for the year.

I traded both Roy Williams and LeRon McClain for him. Roy was my WR4, and I don't like the way things look for him the remainder of this season. McClain is a big, powerful runner, but McGahee is taking back carries, and I see his stock falling a bit. I really like Stew, he will be an animal when he really gets rolling.

I've been begging for Roy Williams to have a good day so I can trade for him.I agree with most who believe it is just a matter of time before JStew takes over.Lost in last week's great performance by DWilly is that the pair touched the ball a relatively equal number of times (20 for JStew, 21 for DWilly) and a relatively equal distribution throughout the game. Now might be a great time to take a stab at JStew - the fear of a RBBC with DWilly is at it's high point for the year.
What's the incentive for a coach to move away from RBBC and have one of them "take over" when he has 2 productive RBs? Is this a better team with DWilly on the bench getting significantly less touches?

Stewart is consistently getting 15-17 carries a game
How do you figure? The 5-game sample doesn't support this being consistent.
65 carries in 5 games, so an average of 13 carries a game. The low games being the first game of his career with 10 carries and the game against Minnesota where he had 7 carries.He has carried the ball 15 and 19 times in the last two games respectively with 14 carries against Chicago. I guess I expect his workload to increase or at least stay right in that 15 carry average as the season progresses because he's the more talented runner, or maybe I'm just an optimistic owner. :thumbdown:

I've been begging for Roy Williams to have a good day so I can trade for him.I agree with most who believe it is just a matter of time before JStew takes over.Lost in last week's great performance by DWilly is that the pair touched the ball a relatively equal number of times (20 for JStew, 21 for DWilly) and a relatively equal distribution throughout the game. Now might be a great time to take a stab at JStew - the fear of a RBBC with DWilly is at it's high point for the year.
What's the incentive for a coach to move away from RBBC and have one of them "take over" when he has 2 productive RBs? Is this a better team with DWilly on the bench getting significantly less touches?
I don't see any evidence to suggest that DeAngelo will be phased out of the offense, but I expect Stewart to get a few more of those touches between the 20's because he's stronger between the tackles. The OP was curious about Stewart's value as a RB2. I think he's a solid second back because of his potential for more carries along with the goalline looks he already receives. We all know this is and will continue to be a RBBC unless there is an injury, but it's obvious Stewart is the more valuable fantasy back to have.DeAngelo's big game was a product of him breaking a couple big runs. You can't rely on those plays each week.

All of DeAngelo's touchdowns came from over 10 yards out. Stewart is getting most, if not all of the short yardage looks. That should mean more TDs this year, plus he seems to have the ability to break a few runs off. I think it is only a matter of time before he starts taking over, and this is from an uneasy DeAngelo owner.
Hist 1st TD was from the 10.

I don't see any evidence to suggest that DeAngelo will be phased out of the offense, but I expect Stewart to get a few more of those touches between the 20's because he's stronger between the tackles. The OP was curious about Stewart's value as a RB2. I think he's a solid second back because of his potential for more carries along with the goalline looks he already receives. We all know this is and will continue to be a RBBC unless there is an injury, but it's obvious Stewart is the more valuable fantasy back to have.DeAngelo's big game was a product of him breaking a couple big runs. You can't rely on those plays each week.
Well, I'm honestly not biased toward either of these guys since I own both and I'm bracing to be highly frustrated until one becomes injured. I'm not sure why you believe DeAngelo cannot be relied upon for big runs each week since he has been fairly consistent breaking explosive plays throughout his career. The complaint against him has been that he also has an abundance of no-gain plays, a la Barry Sanders. In terms of trends, on both occasions Deangelo has been given 20 carries over his past 6 games, his production has been (21/120/2TDs, 20/124/2TDs). So, I'd say he can be generally relied upon for the big play when his role allows it.I actually started J.Stewart as my RB2 4 of the first 5 weeks with relative success, but the only thing I expect by way of consistency going forward is that the performances of both DWilly and Stewart will be impossible to predict, with one going off one week and the other the next. Because DWilly is also use on 3rd downs and the passing game, he'll be more likely to break off big plays, and Stewart probably more likely the recipient of goal line TDs. However, Deangelo taking both the 1st and 2nd down carries in the redzone last week when he scored the 10 yard TD bears monitoring. He also had other carries in the redzone last week:1-10-KC10 (13:19) D.Williams up the middle to KC 5 for 5 yards (P.Thomas). 3-5-KC18 (10:52) D.Williams up the middle to KC 14 for 4 yards (A.Boone). So, if Stewart's redzone carries are limited to when Carolina gets within the 5, they may often not reach that point, or may score before they get there.

I'd put him at #3RB. Good bye week filler, or an option if your top 2 face tough matchups.

The numbers are good, but far from consistent.

JStew has been the better runner - and he has been the more consistent performer inside the 20. I would expect his role to increase as he gets more comfortable in the offense. We can debate the meaning of the term "take over" but I mean that a 60-40 split in touches in favor of JStew is the same thing as him "taking over." If you look at the RB touch splits among many teams, the starter rarely has over 65% of the team's RB touches, and one is obviously the fantasy player to have.Re: your statement above on the small sample size, with rookies, all we can use is their small sample size. How does waiting till the end of the year for a larger sample size help this discussion? :confused:

Re: your statement above on the small sample size, with rookies, all we can use is their small sample size. How does waiting till the end of the year for a larger sample size help this discussion?

:thumbup:
I didn't comment on the size of the sample. I said the existing sample does not support the OPs assertion that "Stewart is consistently getting 15-17 carries a game." Do you disagree?

Re: your statement above on the small sample size, with rookies, all we can use is their small sample size. How does waiting till the end of the year for a larger sample size help this discussion?

:goodposting:
I didn't comment on the size of the sample. I said the existing sample does not support the OPs assertion that "Stewart is consistently getting 15-17 carries a game." Do you disagree?
I agree.Stewart has only one game with 15 or more carries - the last one. If anything, the sample size directly contradicts the assertion that was made.

with lynch and cj3 on a bye this week , he's going to have to be my #2 this week , I've been trying to trade him for a while but no takers yet. I'm looking to package him with Roy Williams to try and get Calvin johnson.....

I've been trying to trade him for a while but no takers yet. I'm looking to package him with Roy Williams to try and get Calvin johnson.
Not a fan of this trade. Stewart's huge upside > the upgrade from Roy to Calvin IMHO.

I've been trying to trade him for a while but no takers yet. I'm looking to package him with Roy Williams to try and get Calvin johnson.
Not a fan of this trade. Stewart's huge upside > the upgrade from Roy to Calvin IMHO.
Not a fan either. I've got J-STEW and CJ the 8th to go along with Gore and Freight Train McClain. I'm thinking of packaging STEW with Santonio for TO to go along with Moss, Wayne, and Cotchery.

CHAMPIONSHIP

That said, I've been rolling with Stewart as my #2 for 3 weeks since dishing Jacobs. Been starting him OVER CJ due to match ups. I still don't feel he is a true #2 even though he's performed well for me.

JStew has been the better runner - and he has been the more consistent performer inside the 20. I would expect his role to increase as he gets more comfortable in the offense.
By what measure has Stewart been he better runner?Carolina is 4-1 and in 1st in their division. Fox may be an idiot, but he isn't so big an idiot as to go and change up what's actually working for him.I think it's going to be tough each week trying to guess which one is going to score more fantasy points...for this season. Thunder and lightning.

With the Panthers winning games, they'll continue to feature both. Barring injury, his ceiling is probably 10 fantasy points each week. Which is nice, but the rest of your team better be solid to score some points.

With the Panthers winning games, they'll continue to feature both. Barring injury, his ceiling is probably 10 fantasy points each week. Which is nice, but the rest of your team better be solid to score some points.
in my league(ppr), I think 10 points a week is his floor. with 20 being his ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
where would you put him in relation to to other RBBC players tho? Say Against Fargus who's coming back from inj? Fred Taylor? LeRon McClain?

where would you put him in relation to to other RBBC players tho? Say Against Fargus who's coming back from inj? Fred Taylor? LeRon McClain?
I would put him over Fargas cause it is a worse team and they have 2 other good RBs. I would put him over Fred Taylor cause Taylor looks horrible, is in time share and doesn't get goalline looks. McClain, man that is a toss up. I would take a look at the schedules, you will probably find having a Carolina RB is better than having a Baltimore RB.

I would put him over Fargas cause it is a worse team and they have 2 other good RBs. I would put him over Fred Taylor cause Taylor looks horrible, is in time share and doesn't get goalline looks. McClain, man that is a toss up. I would take a look at the schedules, you will probably find having a Carolina RB is better than having a Baltimore RB.
agreed, and for keeper purposes, I would say Stewart is the one to have. I mean if what we are seeing is what fox is going to stick with, I think he has more value than williamsThe way I see it, he can score from inside the 20 and outside the 20. From the looks of it, Williams will only be scoring from outside the 10.

Looking through this thread for nuggets of info -- just got offered to ship out Marques Colston and Clinton Portis to receive Steve Smith and Jonathan Stewart. At the moment, Portis is looking too strong to make that move ... but if Stewart's short-term future were clearer, I'd give the move stronger consideration.

in my league(ppr), I think 10 points a week is his floor. with 20 being his ceiling.
:shrug:What does PPR have to do with it?1 target, 1 rec, 8 yardsversus9-7-49-1 for WilliamsIn a PPR, Williams is the one you want.

Looking through this thread for nuggets of info -- just got offered to ship out Marques Colston and Clinton Portis to receive Steve Smith and Jonathan Stewart. At the moment, Portis is looking too strong to make that move ... but if Stewart's short-term future were clearer, I'd give the move stronger consideration.
In a redraft, I think you have to reject this trade. In a dynasty league it's a thinker.

In a redraft, I think you have to reject this trade. In a dynasty league it's a thinker.
I couldn't agree more :goodposting:

In a redraft, I think you have to reject this trade ...
Yeah, it's a redraft. And Colston's coming back soon anyway.Stewart has looked studly at times ... a shame he's in a time share.

in a 7-Keeper league, I just traded Cooley for Stewart and a couple throw-ins. I also have Owen Daniels, so hopefully this trade is taking one half-step back to take two or three future steps forward.

65 carries in 5 games, so an average of 13 carries a game. The low games being the first game of his career with 10 carries and the game against Minnesota where he had 7 carries.He has carried the ball 15 and 19 times in the last two games respectively with 14 carries against Chicago. I guess I expect his workload to increase or at least stay right in that 15 carry average as the season progresses because he's the more talented runner, or maybe I'm just an optimistic owner. :loco:
Where are you getting this information? Stewart has had more than 14 carries only once this season. His lowest attempts total didn't come in week one either. What is important is that Williams has had more carries than Stewart in 4 out of 5 games thus far. The only game he had less being week 2. So not sure how that supports the argument that he didn't get the ball early. Not too mention that Williams catches passes while Stewart does not.Link

I'm not sure why people around here still seem to think that if they wish it enough, Stewart will simply be handed the lead RB role. This is going to be a RBBC ALL season long pending and injury. Williams is too good and effective to not be largely involved in this offense. Fox is too loyal to veteran players. Car is winning too much to greatly alter their formula.

I've got J-STEW and CJ the 8th to go along with Gore and Freight Train McClain. I'm thinking of packaging STEW with Santonio for TO to go along with Moss, Wayne, and Cotchery.

CHAMPIONSHIP
That's fascinating and impressive. Please keep me up to date.

I think he's a borderline RB2 in most leagues. Carolina has plenty of upcoming opponents that can be run on. Either him or Williams would be a good/great RB2 if the other went down, but I think you should be very happy if either of them get 15 touches in a game.

65 carries in 5 games, so an average of 13 carries a game. The low games being the first game of his career with 10 carries and the game against Minnesota where he had 7 carries.He has carried the ball 15 and 19 times in the last two games respectively with 14 carries against Chicago. I guess I expect his workload to increase or at least stay right in that 15 carry average as the season progresses because he's the more talented runner, or maybe I'm just an optimistic owner. :goodposting:
Where are you getting this information? Stewart has had more than 14 carries only once this season. His lowest attempts total didn't come in week one either. What is important is that Williams has had more carries than Stewart in 4 out of 5 games thus far. The only game he had less being week 2. So not sure how that supports the argument that he didn't get the ball early. Not too mention that Williams catches passes while Stewart does not.Link

I'm not sure why people around here still seem to think that if they wish it enough, Stewart will simply be handed the lead RB role. This is going to be a RBBC ALL season long pending and injury. Williams is too good and effective to not be largely involved in this offense. Fox is too loyal to veteran players. Car is winning too much to greatly alter their formula.
ESPN's game logs have him for 15 carries in the Atlanta game. He has had games with 15, 14, and 19 carries out of five games. The low games were the first game of his career, and the game against Minnesota where we wouldn't expect him to receive high carry totals. The point was that Carolina is trying to get him around 15 carries a game in his last few starts and he gets the ball on the goalline. That gives him value as a RB2.

I never said he would take over the job completely, but I do expect him to see an increase in carries as the season wears on because I feel he's the better runner, but that's my opinion.

65 carries in 5 games, so an average of 13 carries a game. The low games being the first game of his career with 10 carries and the game against Minnesota where he had 7 carries.He has carried the ball 15 and 19 times in the last two games respectively with 14 carries against Chicago. I guess I expect his workload to increase or at least stay right in that 15 carry average as the season progresses because he's the more talented runner, or maybe I'm just an optimistic owner. :lmao:

:lmao: And I'm a JStew owner...and even I can admit that there is nothing DWill has done to lead me to believe that JFox will make this anything but an RBBC

Why does everyone assume that Stewart is so much more talented than Williams? I always wonder this. They were both first rounders, and both dominant (albeit moreso for D-Will, in a much weaker conference) in college.

This seems like the perfect RBBC to me. They compliment each other as they have different strengths. I think people tend to think that Stewart is "more talented" simply because he was the pick this year where as D-Will as the pick a few years ago. I am not sure that is accurate.

I have a vested interest in this, as I own them both (in different leagues) but I do not see either of them "taking over". I wish it would happen, but Fox is not dumb enough to make his team worse simply because people with fantasy teams think that Stewart is "more talented".

Users who are viewing this thread