What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Moose the #2 WR in Carolina when Smith comes back (1 Viewer)

KingEl

Footballguy
I think Moose has looked much better than Hackett. He didn't have good conversion on his targets in Week 1, but still was the go-to guy over Hackett. Yesterday, he played really well and had a great long TD catch called back that would have made it a big day.. Hackett did nothing to impress.. Also, Moose seems to be an excellant run blocking WR and had a couple of key blocks yesterday... I saw on local TV, Fox made a brief mention of that.. SO..... where does he fit in with Smith back.... Was he filling in Smith's spot or was Hackett?

Muhammad will always be on the field more than Hackett because he is one of the best run-blocking WRs in the NFL. Hackett is a more dangerous receiver, but poor blocker & injury prone.

I think Muhammad will have more targets/catches & be pretty consistent, but Hackett will have some big plays this year as the 3rd WR.

So does Moose move over to the #2 spot, or is that the spot he's playing in right now and Hacket becomes Smith's backup and 3rd Wr on 3 sets?

Seemed like Moose was in there on one set WR's. He certainly looked better than Hackett.

Yesterday was probably as good as you're going to see Moose play this year...

I second the poster that said he will be on the field quite often for his blocking, but Hackett will get more looks...

Yesterday was probably as good as you're going to see Moose play this year...I second the poster that said he will be on the field quite often for his blocking, but Hackett will get more looks...
i finally gave up on hackett and traded him. i was hoping hackett would emerge while smith was out but he's not doing anything to inspire confidence. even delhomme has said he likes the power running game that fox has implemented. the opportunities for hackett, i think, will never get better than they have been these last 2 weeks. he's done nothing with the chance...

Yesterday was probably as good as you're going to see Moose play this year...

I second the poster that said he will be on the field quite often for his blocking, but Hackett will get more looks...
i finally gave up on hackett and traded him. i was hoping hackett would emerge while smith was out but he's not doing anything to inspire confidence. even delhomme has said he likes the power running game that fox has implemented. the opportunities for hackett, i think, will never get better than they have been these last 2 weeks. he's done nothing with the chance...
Yes, but he's younger.

I think that Moose will be the starter opposite Steve, but DJ will get plenty of snaps and will be equal in FF value as Moose will likely be a little bit more consistent, but DJ will have some games were he doesn't do much, but he could also have a few games where he makes several big plays and scores a lot more than Moose. The other thing that everyone needs to take account of is the emgerance of Dante Rosario as he will get plenty of looks and several red zone targets too. He is just too good not to have a big impact on this offense and help work the middle of the field with his speed and great hands. I like Rosario as a good TE2 and could have some big games too.

To sum up:

1) Moose will likely be the starter and will be more consistent for your team

2) DJ Hackett will be a good 3rd WR and will get plenty of targets and have some big games, but FF owners don't want the 3 pt game one week and the 22 pt game the next week when he is on your bench. Worth owning, but may be tough to start regularly.

3) Don't forget Rosario. He will not just dissappear when Steve returns this week and he may benefit more than either Moose or Hackett.

For those that picked up Rosario last week and saw that he only got one ball for 6 yards, DO NOT FRET.... The Bears D was stacking the box and he was blocking a lot yesterday as both King and Rosario were on the field alot. No Steve Smith meant that the Bears D really stacked the line to stop the run and blitzed the heck out of Carolina all day. If Steve was there they wouldn't have been able to do that. Because of the gimmicky D they ran most of the day, the Panthers passing numbers were pretty bad, but it is just one game and Jake will have some very good game with some of the opponents that we have lined up in the next two months (Vikings, Falcons, Chiefs, Bucs, Saints, Cards, Raiders, Lions and Falcons again).

Yesterday was probably as good as you're going to see Moose play this year...I second the poster that said he will be on the field quite often for his blocking, but Hackett will get more looks...
I think it is wrong to indict Hackett for not doing anything with the opportunity of for the first two weeks, and I will tell you why... Hackett was hurt for most of TC and really didn't have much chance to work with Jake to build rapport with him. The QB / WR is important as it takes timing and knowing where the WR is going to be when he comes out of his break. These two games are more like TC for Hackett and he looks fine in my opinion. Moose had two full years with Jake as his QB and landed his huge contract with the Bears the year that Smith broke his leg on MNF and Moose worked alot with Jake that year. Moose was like slipping back into that old very comfortable shoe... of course Jake is going to lean on the tested vet for these two weeks. DJ will get his opportunities this year and he will definitely help the Panthers as a #3 or a #2 (if he emerges to take over that spot) he will get plenty of looks as the nickel will likely be covering him and go open up the door for some very long gainers.If you, gave up on him, I understand as he is not a huge growth stock, but he could start slow and may come on as the season wears on and he has a chance to estabilish rapport with Jake. You may have more pressing needs and didn't have the luxury to stash him a few weeks hoping to get some return from him... so hey you did what you thought was best for your team. I am simply saying that 2 weeks is too soon to write him off completely. Lots of things can change quickly in the NFL as we all saw last week with the Pats losing Brady last week.

If Moose continues to play at this level though, both in receiving and blocking, I think he holds Hackett off..

I may be in the minority, but I think Moose will post better numbers with Smith back.
Then that minority = 2. I agree with you. Moose could be better with Smith on the other side.
Delhomme has averaged 31 attempts in Carolina's first two games, which projects to ~500 for a full season. Steve Smith has averaged 9 targets per game since 2002. Taking out those 9 per game + TEs, RBs, 3rd and 4th WRs and you don't have more than 5-6 targets a game left for MM. Its just not realistic for a team that has a strong running game and a demanding #1 receiver to think that the #2 is going to be a valuable fantasy player unless you project Carolina to be one of the best offenses in the league.

I may be in the minority, but I think Moose will post better numbers with Smith back.
Then that minority = 2. I agree with you. Moose could be better with Smith on the other side.
Delhomme has averaged 31 attempts in Carolina's first two games, which projects to ~500 for a full season. Steve Smith has averaged 9 targets per game since 2002. Taking out those 9 per game + TEs, RBs, 3rd and 4th WRs and you don't have more than 5-6 targets a game left for MM. Its just not realistic for a team that has a strong running game and a demanding #1 receiver to think that the #2 is going to be a valuable fantasy player unless you project Carolina to be one of the best offenses in the league.
Good information here, but you may have hit the nail on the head with the last statement. Carolina has NOT been loaded with the talent that we know have, especially at RB and our ability will lead to many more scoring opportunities than we have seen in the past. I would not be surprised to see the numbers of 26 and 20 against two very good Ds, without the presence of SS increase subtantially when we are heading into the soft part of our schedule. At their current pace of 23 points in two games that equates to 368 points for the season. I do not think it is out of the question that the Panthers score 380 - 420 points for the season, which would have them average 24 - 26 points per game. It also will help the total offensive units with rushing and passing stats that will have them in the top 10 of all offenses at season's end. I think this version of the Panthers may have the horsepower and weapons that can put them in that category. JMHO.

I don't have a link because I heard it on a podcast, but Matthew Berry said that Steve Smith had his worst statistical games when Moose was on the team with him.

I don't have a link because I heard it on a podcast, but Matthew Berry said that Steve Smith had his worst statistical games when Moose was on the team with him.
That's not surprising. Muhammed left the team after '04. Steve Smith entered the league in '01. In '03 Smith had his breakout year: 2003 Carolina Panthers 16 11 88 1,110 12.6 67T 7

Then Smith only played in 1 game before getting injured in ''04. So essentially, Steve Smith played with Muhammed his 1st-3rd years in the league. No doubt he had his worst statisical games.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes absolutely no sense. Steve Smith had his break out season the year they went to the Super Bowl. He played beside Moose during that year. The following year Smith broke his leg in the first game of the season. The next year Moose left for Chicago.

So essentially, Steve Smith played with Muhammed his 1st-3rd years in the league. No doubt he had his worst statisical games.
Not exactly. Steve Smith's first year with the Panthers he was primarily the kick returner. That was what he was drafted for. He barely played WR. The second year he played WR, and returned kicks. He had his growing pains at the position that year. His third year with the Panthers was his break out season, and Moose was right there beside him.

I saw on local TV, Fox made a brief mention of that.. SO..... where does he fit in with Smith back.... Was he filling in Smith's spot or was Hackett?
Moose is the #2. The Panthers plan on playing plenty of 3 WR sets so Hackett will be on the field often.Jarrett will be worked on the field too. Hackett is Smith's backup, and Jarrett is Moose's backup.

Many of the recommendations I'm reading on sites says Moose has no value this week with Smith back. Logically, I don't see why Moose can't have a good game against Minn. We know Minn has a fantastic run def and Carolina likes to run. So they probably won't have big success there and need to throw. Vikings pass def is so/so and they will pay all their attention to Steve Smith.... So doens't that mean oppurtunity for Moose?! If he was catching 5 balls a game with the defenses treating him like the #1 Wr, why can't he do the same with fewer targets but also less defensive attention... It just seems like he could have a good game!!!! Of course Harrison didn't do squat as the #2 Wr against Minn last week, but Gonzalez did, so there are openings... Am I crazy?

Delhomme gets radar lock on his favorite receivers. I am confident his favorites are Smith and Moose.

I do project Carolina to be one of the 5 best offenses in the league by season's end. The Panthers have been average on offense through two weeks but the running game is solid and Delhomme has been accurate. This offense has been one explosive WR away from breaking everything else wide open through two games.

I agree and the entire offense should be better as the defense will have shift some coverage SS's way. Minnesota is great against the run so it may not show up this week, but the entire offense should be upgraded.

I think that Moose will be the starter opposite Steve, but DJ will get plenty of snaps and will be equal in FF value as Moose will likely be a little bit more consistent, but DJ will have some games were he doesn't do much, but he could also have a few games where he makes several big plays and scores a lot more than Moose. The other thing that everyone needs to take account of is the emgerance of Dante Rosario as he will get plenty of looks and several red zone targets too. He is just too good not to have a big impact on this offense and help work the middle of the field with his speed and great hands. I like Rosario as a good TE2 and could have some big games too.To sum up:1) Moose will likely be the starter and will be more consistent for your team2) DJ Hackett will be a good 3rd WR and will get plenty of targets and have some big games, but FF owners don't want the 3 pt game one week and the 22 pt game the next week when he is on your bench. Worth owning, but may be tough to start regularly.3) Don't forget Rosario. He will not just dissappear when Steve returns this week and he may benefit more than either Moose or Hackett.For those that picked up Rosario last week and saw that he only got one ball for 6 yards, DO NOT FRET.... The Bears D was stacking the box and he was blocking a lot yesterday as both King and Rosario were on the field alot. No Steve Smith meant that the Bears D really stacked the line to stop the run and blitzed the heck out of Carolina all day. If Steve was there they wouldn't have been able to do that. Because of the gimmicky D they ran most of the day, the Panthers passing numbers were pretty bad, but it is just one game and Jake will have some very good game with some of the opponents that we have lined up in the next two months (Vikings, Falcons, Chiefs, Bucs, Saints, Cards, Raiders, Lions and Falcons again).
:shrug: rosario owner

;) I'll bet on this! Delhomme will spread the ball around a lot more this year now that he has some good receivers other than Smith. Moose will be a consistent play every week.

Any word out of Carolina this week on whether Moose with truly line up as the #2 starter next to Smith or is Hackett?

KC coming to town this week. Although as bad as KC has looked before this week, Car may be content to run out the clock in the 2nd half.

Huge day for Moose yesterday. On my bench of course, but i was quite happy to see it.

He owned Grimes all day long, BUT, Grimes is a rookie and giving up at least 6 inches to Moose. Obviously, ATLs plan was to not let Steve Smith beat them, but Moose kind a screwed that up for us. I don't know how many more 5'8" rookies he's going to face, though.

He owned Grimes all day long, BUT, Grimes is a rookie and giving up at least 6 inches to Moose. Obviously, ATLs plan was to not let Steve Smith beat them, but Moose kind a screwed that up for us. I don't know how many more 5'8" rookies he's going to face, though.
Depending on the status of Surtain, the Chiefs may be running two rookie CBs against Smith and Moose.

Users who are viewing this thread