What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is rock dead? (1 Viewer)

Looking at a most streamed ever list, we have Coldplay at 14, Imagine Dragons at 17, Maroon 5 at 22. The most successful rock in recent years has been pop rock.
and all of those bands are basically over with, having peaekd 5-20 years ago.

Turnstile also should be mentioned as a great current rock band.

And huge. Hardcore is huge. Have Heart played to 20,000 people as recently as a few years ago.

Boston straight edge hardcore.

What???!!!!
Turnstile is playing MSG.

WOW
Opening for Blink? That would be a fun show.

and all of those bands are basically over with, having peaekd 5-20 years ago.
Yeah, and unless I'm missing one, I don't think there is a single up-and-coming or at-its-peak rock band in the top 100.
Right, it's more of a niche genre right now. Good artists out there though. Big Thief rules. Love Fontaines DC too. Idles rock. But those aren't widely known acts.

American rock doesn’t seem to be doing too well. Who are some of the biggest American rock bands to come out in the last 5 years?

Well, it's been more than five years, but Greta Van Fleet is on an arena tour at the moment.
Huge fan of Highway Tune. So Zeppelin-esque.
I love me some fellow Michiganders but I can't figure out the GVF appeal. If I want something that sounds like Led Zeppelin, LZ 2 is just sitting there on Spotify ready to be streamed whenever I want.

American rock doesn’t seem to be doing too well. Who are some of the biggest American rock bands to come out in the last 5 years?

Well, it's been more than five years, but Greta Van Fleet is on an arena tour at the moment.
I love me some fellow Michiganders but I can't figure out the GVF appeal. If I want something that sounds like Led Zeppelin, LZ 2 is just sitting there on Spotify ready to be streamed whenever I want.
they sound good to me :shrug: everyone always has to compare bands to other bands which is sometimes a disservice to the new band.

I can understand not caring for Greta Van Fleet because you just don’t like their music. What I don’t get is not liking a band because they sound like another band you do like.

I can understand not caring for Greta Van Fleet because you just don’t like their music. What I don’t get is not liking a band because they sound like another band you do like.
I don't even really want to hear much Led Zeppelin at this point. LZ was awesome but I've heard them to death. I just am not looking for more of that sound.

I don't even really want to hear much Led Zeppelin at this point. LZ was awesome but I've heard them to death. I just am not looking for more of that sound.

If you think that LZ was awesome, then I would think that you’d get the appeal of GVF. Not every LZ fan is is burned out on their sound.

There's also a lot of early Rush in their stuff (e.g. Built by Nations).

And it's not as if Zeppelin or the Stones didn't borrow heavily from artists before them when they first started out.

They are still quite young so will be fun to see how/if their identity matures.

I will tell you when rock wasn't dead. 2007. Dinosaur Jr.'s oldster stylings on Beyond kicked any *** beyond eternity that claimed guitar rock was dead. I just listened to Side One.

Side A is Exhibit A for rock's indignant insistence on survival. So much Mascis guitar God going on.

Rips/shreds/gnarls/whatever you want to call it.

Highly recommended. They just reissued on vinyl and the one with the seven-inch attached sold out pronto. The other copy you can get if you still hurry and have twenty (that's all) bucks to spend.

Shreddation nation.

Last edited:
Forget the rock is dead thread.

Let's switch it up. What are your favorite rockist stylings of the past two decades?

Gaslight Anthem didn't have a little more success

I thought they had tons, especially among that Bruce/emo/millennial crowd. They sure hit the late night talk show circuit pretty heavily and were booked with audiences that knew the words. Of course, they were no Kanye West (their popularity coincided with the height of his), but they were rock stars that broke through.

I did, however, the more I type, mean rockist. Gaslight Anthem was so inward-looking and emo that weren't really your typical rock n' roll band.

But enough. They were fine and a fine example.

I'm having a hard time flipping the Dino Jr. platter over to Side B. Side A needed another listen.

"Back To Your Heart" just shreds in waltz time. A Barlow-penned track that Mascis rips over.

I agree with 80's, it's just that it sounds too much like them. If I am in the mood for that sound, I'm going for the original.

Gaslight Anthem didn't have a little more success

I thought they had tons, especially among that Bruce/emo/millennial crowd. They sure hit the late night talk show circuit pretty heavily and were booked with audiences that knew the words. Of course, they were no Kanye West (their popularity coincided with the height of his), but they were rock stars that broke through.

I did, however, the more I type, mean rockist. Gaslight Anthem was so inward-looking and emo that weren't really your typical rock n' roll band.

But enough. They were fine and a fine example.
I did them live and it t was a good turnout. Maybe I’m just misremembering their success. They never quite got that song that truly crossed over and became a true hit.

I think poptimism's fatal conceit is that everything that is endorsed by the masses is worthy of some sort of respect or acclaim.

Needn't look any deeper than 1939 Germany to completely annihilate that premise. It's a faulty premise from the jump, and that easily defeated. The people in favor of poptimism as gospel are generally folk I consider anathema to my own spirit.

You can't kill the Metal
The Metal will live on
Punk Rock tried to kill the Metal
But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
New Wave tried to kill the Metal
But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
Grunge tried to kill the Metal
Ha-ha-ha-ha
They failed, as they were thrown to the ground
Ah, yeah
Ah, yeah
No one can destroy the Metal
The Metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the Metal
We tried to win, for why? We do not know
New Wave tried to destroy the Metal, but the Metal had its way
Grunge then tried to dethrone the Metal, but Metal was in the way
Punk Rock tried to destroy the Metal, but Metal was much too strong
Techno tried to defile the Metal, but Techno was proven wrong
Yeah
Metal
It comes from Hell

I think poptimism's fatal conceit is that everything that is endorsed by the masses is worthy of some sort of respect or acclaim.
Yes, I agree.

The best article I read on this was this one: NO APOLOGIES: A CRITIQUE OF THE ROCKIST V. POPTIMIST PARADIGM

I agree with his point here:

Which brings me to the second reason this whole rockist v. poptimist debate has been screwed up from the beginning: ultimatelythey’re the same thing. Both rockists and poptimists treat music as not much more than a social commodity, a consumerized product within the spectacle of American capitalism. In both viewpoints, music is basically a product defined by its categorization into genre, but all of the music in question exists within a consumeristic framework. Rockists tend to ignore that or patently mystify it, pretending that all rock, or “real rock”, has been and continues to be anti-commercial, while poptimists embrace the consumerist spectacle but ignore its implications. Ultimately, both mystify the conditions in which music occurs. Rockism commodifies the past, poptimism the present and the future.

Needn't look any deeper than 1939 Germany to completely annihilate that premise. It's a faulty premise from the jump, and that easily defeated. The people in favor of poptimism as gospel are generally folk I consider anathema to my own spirit.
Agreed.

My problem with rockism is with the 2nd sentence in the link Jux posted: Rockism is the belief that rock music is dependent on values such as authenticity and artfulness, and that such values elevate the genre over other forms of popular music.

This is where rockists run into major problems. When confronted on as simple a question as "well, can you define what you mean by 'rock'?" The goalposts start sprinting all over the place, because they know if they answer truthfully they have already screwed themselves.

Yes, I agree.

The best article I read on this was this one: NO APOLOGIES: A CRITIQUE OF THE ROCKIST V. POPTIMIST PARADIGM

I agree with his point here:

Which brings me to the second reason this whole rockist v. poptimist debate has been screwed up from the beginning: ultimatelythey’re the same thing. Both rockists and poptimists treat music as not much more than a social commodity, a consumerized product within the spectacle of American capitalism. In both viewpoints, music is basically a product defined by its categorization into genre, but all of the music in question exists within a consumeristic framework. Rockists tend to ignore that or patently mystify it, pretending that all rock, or “real rock”, has been and continues to be anti-commercial, while poptimists embrace the consumerist spectacle but ignore its implications. Ultimately, both mystify the conditions in which music occurs. Rockism commodifies the past, poptimism the present and the future.
That's a damned near perfect paragraph that defines how stupid the argument was/is.

I agree with 80's, it's just that it sounds too much like them. If I am in the mood for that sound, I'm going for the original.
Same here too. I guess I would go see them live, but if I am gonna stream something I would go with Zep instead

All the Greta Van Fleet hater curmudgeon LZ-purists are certainly entitled to their listening preferences. No harm there.

But the larger question addressed by the OP is "will rock ever have mainstream appeal again?"

A positive answer to that question can only come if younger generations embrace the genre in their own way.

Which GVF is obviously doing as it sells out arenas with raw energy and a fresh take on a classic sound.

Good for them. Good for rock.

All the Greta Van Fleet hater curmudgeon LZ-purists are certainly entitled to their listening preferences. No harm there.

But the larger question addressed by the OP is "will rock ever have mainstream appeal again?"

A positive answer to that question can only come if younger generations embrace the genre in their own way.

Which GVF is obviously doing as it sells out arenas with raw energy and a fresh take on a classic sound.

Maybe GVF isn't that great an example. They broke out in what, 2017? 5/6 years ago.

We gotta dig down 6 years to find a 'new' rock band??

In 1994, if someone asked you about a NEW band that debuted in 1989, you would laugh.

Maybe GVF isn't that great an example. They broke out in what, 2017? 5/6 years ago.

We gotta dig down 6 years to find a 'new' rock band??

In 1994, if someone asked you about a NEW band that debuted in 1989, you would laugh.
Hear you. But that wasn't the specific OP, which I was just tying into the GVF sub-debate.

I think you and someone else mentioned Turnstile, which was formed in 2010, so no really sure what the criteria is.

I like All Them Witches quite a bit, I would consider it "rock". "rock" is a broad category, maybe not your traditional classic rock but definitely a psychadelic vibe
they are solid.

also like kyuss and all the offshoots of their members.

King Gizzard of course is a good one.

Rival Sons

Tame Impala

Khruangbin if you count them as rock

FIDLAR

The Mysterines

Destroy Boys

The Mystery Lights

Current British stuff that is cool
-Grandma's House
-Witch Fever
-Nova twins