What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this ethical - Trade question (1 Viewer)

comet

Footballguy
Here is a situation that happened in our league this week

Tom Brady and Jay Cutler both available on waivers.

Our league waiver order works from last place to first place each week. 12 team league.

Team in 3rd place with Russel Wilson as starting QB makes the following trade with team in last place who has Tony Romo as starting QB.

Last place team picks up Tom Brady drops Alex Smith trades him to 3rd place team for Russel Wilson.

3rd place team is also able to pick up Jay Cutler as no other team put in a claim up to his turn.

Our league does not have a rule against this but it just does not seem right.

3rd place team was basically able to get Tom Brady and Jay Cutler and circumvent the waiver order because the last place team did him a favor.

How do your leagues handle these situtations or do you have specific rules against this type of trade.

I want to put in a rule that would prevent this from happening in the future but wanted to check to see if this is normal in most leagues.

So who exactly is up ins arms about what?

The guy claims a QB off waivers and trades him to someone else - so what? Happens quite a bit in our league - sometimes people even try to "trade" their WW position. Sounds like someone(s) is just upset they didn't think of it first. Anyone else could have approached last place Tony Romo owner and offered him something for his WW priority (or Romo - or traded him something to get whoever off the WW).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this practice - last place team didn't "do him a favor" - he traded a player for another player. They didn't "circumvent" anything - they made a trade. Even if it was arranged before waivers were run, I see nothing wrong with it. Sorry you missed out on your WW QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Our league waiver order works from last place to first place each week. 12 team league.

Team in 3rd place with Russel Wilson as starting QB makes the following trade with team in last place who has Tony Romo as starting QB.

Last place team picks up Tom Brady drops Alex Smith trades him to 3rd place team for Russel Wilson.

3rd place team is also able to pick up Jay Cutler as no other team put in a claim up to his turn.

3rd place team was basically able to get Tom Brady and Jay Cutler and circumvent the waiver order because the last place team did him a favor.

How do your leagues handle these situtations or do you have specific rules against this type of trade.

I want to put in a rule that would prevent this from happening in the future but wanted to check to see if this is normal in most leagues.
The last place team didnt do anyone any favors. He traded Tom Brady (or his waiver priority) for Russell Wilson. What's the problem?

So your complaining because he made a legitimate and typical trade at QB and then picked up another QB that nobody wanted. You need to get out of fantasy football.

Like others, I see no problem and agree with the person who said in some leagues, people trade FOR a waiver position. I see nothing that was done wrong and certainly nothing that would raise red flags or call into question someone's ethics.

That said, that's how I'd look at in relation to my league. Everyone's league is different. Maybe since it has never happened in your league and/or isn't in your league's constitution, it appears weird.......but it isn't.

First come first serve waivers. Problem solved.
Really isn't fair... I spend a fair amount of time watching the game mix channel so I would have a jump on everything.

The most equal system is moving to the back after you use your priority.
Couldn't agree more - first come, first serve free agents are ok after a waiver period, but if that's all, that is a terrible way to disperse free agents.

Also agreed about the waiver priority point. Not a big fan of the worst teams getting the highest waiver positions either. A team should definitely go to the bottom spot after using their waiver position. Part of the strategy is saving your waiver spot for a higher position. Of course, a blind bid process is arguably the most equitable to all teams.

12 team league and Tom Brady is available on waivers?

Hmmmmm, I never played in a league that doesn't require starting QBs. Interesting.

Maybe make the decision to go with blind bid waiver dollars next year, and allow those "dollars" to be traded away like any other fantasy commodity. Playing in a league where waiver priority is decided based on the reverse order of records just gives the worse teams a chance to harvest "free" value where blind bidding is purely based on ability to budget and skill. Sure it's harder to overcome a bad draft, but through trading and proper use of waiver dollars (and a little luck), a bad draft doesn't have to decide your season.

I thought I stepped back in time, reading about all these reverse order and FCFS waiver systems...

KCitons said:
VA703 said:
I stopped reading after the 2nd sentence
+1
We really need a commishes forum, like the AC forum for commishes to ask questions in. Just like teams that no one cares about, if we are not in the league we do not care about your league either. I already took the liberty to fix the top sentence on the page below...

The Shark Pool (NFL Talk)IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE SHARK POOL Threads that are asking for advice on how you should draft or manage your team, OR HOW TO COMMISH A LEAGUE belong in The Assistant Coach forum.

There is nothing wrong, at all, in any way, with anything done there.

The fact that you have to ask this question tells me that you are in no way ready or capable of being a league commish.

If you want to add/change rules, get rid of your stupid wavier priority system.

elshagon said:
First come first serve waivers. Problem solved.
No...that's even more stupid. Seriously, that is the absolute worst system possible.

Lots of immature responses to your question. Sorry about that. I agree with most of the serious respondents, though, that there is nothing wrong with the deal. It's a legit trade. However, there was another recent thread about this topic and, surprisingly to me, many respondents felt that the deal involved collusion because the one owner told the other owner to make the specific pick up. I don't see it that way.

Why do you think the last place team is doing the 3rd place team a favor? For the right to use his 1st priority, the last place team got Russell Wilson in return. That's a nice return to pass on Brady and Cutler.

With all due respect, I don't understand why you think this is a problem. 3rd place team gives player X for player Y, contingent on last place team claiming player Y off the wire. Your issue is that it was done before waivers were run. So what? A team gave up something of value to move up to the 1st waiver position. It's not collusion nor is it unethical. You have to assume the last place team is going to claim a hot free agent. The last place team is in control of who he claims off the wire. The 3rd place team saw that and made a deal to entice the last place team to claim a player that the 3rd place team wanted. Great play by that owner.

If you don't like it, change your WW to a blind bidding system.

Why do you think the last place team is doing the 3rd place team a favor? For the right to use his 1st priority, the last place team got Russell Wilson in return. That's a nice return to pass on Brady and Cutler.

With all due respect, I don't understand why you think this is a problem. 3rd place team gives player X for player Y, contingent on last place team claiming player Y off the wire. Your issue is that it was done before waivers were run. So what? A team gave up something of value to move up to the 1st waiver position. It's not collusion nor is it unethical. You have to assume the last place team is going to claim a hot free agent. The last place team is in control of who he claims off the wire. The 3rd place team saw that and made a deal to entice the last place team to claim a player that the 3rd place team wanted. Great play by that owner.

I will use an example that would happen this week. Lets say your 5-5 and fighting for a playoff spot and could really use another RB. You would have no problem with a team that is 8-2 calling a 2-8 team in last place and asking that team to pick up Mark Ingram and trade him for the worst guy on his roster. The last place team is doing it only because he doesn't care anymore about the season. Its a redraft league, any player he gets is not going to help him. If your OK being jumped over in the waiver order with that kind of trade and giving a team in last place the power to pick and choose who to help and who not to then I guess there is nothing wrong with it.

I will use an example that would happen this week. Lets say your 5-5 and fighting for a playoff spot and could really use another RB. You would have no problem with a team that is 8-2 calling a 2-8 team in last place and asking that team to pick up Mark Ingram and trade him for the worst guy on his roster. The last place team is doing it only because he doesn't care anymore about the season. Its a redraft league, any player he gets is not going to help him. If your OK being jumped over in the waiver order with that kind of trade and giving a team in last place the power to pick and choose who to help and who not to then I guess there is nothing wrong with it.
Russel Wilson <> Worst guy on his roster.

This is not even comparable.

I don't agree with OP's point but he's getting jumped on a little harshly here. In response to the last guy, it isn't whether Russell Wilson is better than the last guy on his roster; it's whether Wilson is better than Brady or Cutler (or anyone else on waivers).

Like all of these, we only have a portion of the story to review. Don't know answers to basic questions like roster size, scoring, etc. Brady and Cutler may very well be on the waivers in 12 team, 1 QB leagues with extremely short benches. In those leagues, the #3 waiver slot is more valuable than my 16 team IDP leagues where everyone is already carrying 45-50 guys.

If his league wants to prohibit pre-arranged trades of waiver picks, that's up to them. I wouldn't do it, but I suspect the guys with the 1st and 2nd waiver spots will be (and should be) burning up the phones.

It is hard enough to keep losing teams interested in pure re-draft leagues where there is nothing to play for. This guy is at least being creative and making moves even though he's out of it. Playing spoiler isn't as fun.

If I were to play in a redraft league like this, I would really want the rules to say the following year's draft order is based upon record. Best team gets best pick.

so which one of them are you mad that you did not get man it is totally fine they made a good trade and it worked out if just one other team wanted cutlery set then it would not have here is what you should do go downstairs and build a wooden table and then go to the hobby store and take up model railroading because it will cause you a lot less ethical challenges unless one day you are trying to use a tree from a small gauge set and you are running a larger one but it looks right and then you will think is it ethical to use this tree even though it is the wrong scale and then my friends you will have a serious ethical dilema on your hands so use that tree and take it to the bank on the way brohans

the bigger question is how brady got on waivers to begin with in a 12 team league, you should be trying to figure that one out...

seriously, both of my 12 team redraft league start 1 qb with 6 bench spots has the following QB's on waivers :

campbell

manuel

geno

tannehill

henne

glennon

ponder

12 team league and Tom Brady is available on waivers?

Hmmmmm, I never played in a league that doesn't require starting QBs. Interesting.
Brady is 13th in total points and 13th in average points per game, so not necessarily that interesting, especially considering some of the names he's behind (Smith, Ben, etc.).

That being said, I would have jumped on him immediately even if it was to prevent someone else from having him, but it's not too far fetched of a scenario this year.

comet said:
fightingillini said:

That kind of trade would never happen in a real league that's well run by the commish.

First, if an owner is mathematically out of the playoff picture, then that owner shouldn't be able to make trades. That's the way it works in my redraft leagues (keeper and dynasty leagues are different). Having a trading deadline by week 10 or 11 helps alleviate that as well.....almost all owners are still mathematically alive by Week 10 or 11. But if the owner is clearly out of the playoff picture, then that owner isn't likely going to pick up any players so you move the next spot on the waiver priority as the so called "top" priority.

Second, the trade still needs to be fair, and could be vetoed if not. No different than any other trade made. If you can't veto trades (or take it to a vote among the league), then you're not doing a good job as commish.

trades should only be vetoed if they are colusion and not becuase they are not fair cripes its a bunch of rooks around here take that to the bank brohans

trades should only be vetoed if they are colusion and not becuase they are not fair cripes its a bunch of rooks around here take that to the bank brohans
Correct.

If the trade is Ingram off the WW for some scrub, then it appears to be collusion if the last place team is clearly out the playoff race.

Otherwise I never veto a trade.

comet said:
fightingillini said:

This is a totally different scenario that your original dilemma. If something like that happened, you have much more reason to be concerned and a stronger case for a collusive act.

comet said:
fightingillini said:

Change up your league a bit so all the teams have some interest through the entire season. In my main league, the teams that miss the playoff go into a losers playoff. The team that wins the losers playoff, gets their choice of draft pick the next year.

Reasonable and fair trade. If the waiver wire claim order were not involved you probably wouldn't have thought twice about it. The fact that it was a waiver wire player doesn't change that.

Would last placed team have picked up a QB if the 3rd place team didn't intervene?

If the answer is no, I'd say it's a problem.

comet said:
fightingillini said:

Make a better offer to the last place team. Period.

Just because you didn't take the initiative to make an offer - doesn't mean the guy who did is being unethical. It means the guy who is 8-2 and is being a proactive owner is better at FF. Get over it.

Would the situation be any different if the last place team had taken the RB, than the 8-2 owner traded him a player for him and you didn't? No.

Users who are viewing this thread