What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isn’t it strange… (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I was just thinking about car design & roadways today when I recalled something I’d read long ago.

Cars are the width they are because they were initially designed to run on the same roads as horse-drawn carriages.

All these years later, all the automotive technological achievements, and yet cars remain buggy-width.

Makes me wonder what other vestiges of the past we’re saddled with. No pun intended.

Well, do you want to redesign and therefore redo all the roads designed for the current width of cars?
Maybe?

Would it mean better cars? Greater efficiency?

Literally speaking we can thank the Romans for the width of our cars. Their great tech were aqueducts & sundials, so maybe we’re limited.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

At my markets I’ll occasionally say “let me ring you up” as though I have a giant cartoony cash register sitting there. :shrug:

But with cars it’s truly a case of the past limiting the future

I was just thinking about car design & roadways today when I recalled something I’d read long ago.

Cars are the width they are because they were initially designed to run on the same roads as horse-drawn carriages.

All these years later, all the automotive technological achievements, and yet cars remain buggy-width.

Makes me wonder what other vestiges of the past we’re saddled with. No pun intended.
How high are you?

Well, do you want to redesign and therefore redo all the roads designed for the current width of cars?
Maybe?

Would it mean better cars? Greater efficiency?

Literally speaking we can thank the Romans for the width of our cars. Their great tech were aqueducts & sundials, so maybe we’re limited.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

At my markets I’ll occasionally say “let me ring you up” as though I have a giant cartoony cash register sitting there. :shrug:

But with cars it’s truly a case of the past limiting the future

Why is the SAVE icon still the 3.5" floppy? Those were the tech for, what, 12 years? Barely a blip. Why isn't it a safe or a vinyl record? They've been around much longer.

Speaking of sundials, they're why clocks run "clockwise", the hands move in the direction the shadows did thousands of years ago. Another vestige of the past surviving to the modern day.

I think modern vehicles are a little wider, especially on the interior, to accommodate our ballooning BMIs. Plus, every other vehicle is an SUV, or truck.

I’m hoping our cars get smaller. Really tired of my view being obstructed by car-crushing monsters. I’m seeing more and more Kei trucks on-island, and have considered getting one, instead of an electric car with my next vehicle purchase.

And cars are the width they are for the same reason as horse-drawn vehicles- so two people can sit side-by-side.
👍🏽 The reason seems to be overlooked here. A horse is only one person wide. A carriage is two or three people wide, for a variety of reasons. One person wide would be more aerodynamic, but few actually want to drive bobsled style
Plus, if you’re driving by yourself it’s nice to be able to put the pizza box or a bag on the seat next to you.

I think modern vehicles are a little wider, especially on the interior, to accommodate our ballooning BMIs. Plus, every other vehicle is an SUV, or truck.

I’m hoping our cars get smaller. Really tired of my view being obstructed by car-crushing monsters. I’m seeing more and more Kei trucks on-island, and have considered getting one, instead of an electric car with my next vehicle purchase.
I think is mostly a North American phenomenon. Model bloat really went bonkers in the 90s where something like a Ford Explorer started out as a cramped little 4x4 and has grown so large that Ford had to bring in multiple models below it to maintain that vehicle category.

Most of the rest of the world is still driving significantly smaller vehicles as they are cheaper and they don't have the urban/suburban sprawl that Canada and the US have.

Today We can celebrate the phenomenon that is Chicagohenge. The sun lines up perfectly with the east-west streets on the first day of spring and fall. How’s that for road/city planning in 1785?

i want a super wide school bus that has only four rows that seat 20 instead of 20 rows that seat four brohans it will require new more luxuriously wide lanes but will be worth it take that to the bank bromigos

i want a super wide school bus that has only four rows that seat 20 instead of 20 rows that seat four brohans it will require new more luxuriously wide lanes but will be worth it take that to the bank bromigos
I believe Kramer did a pilot program for these new first class "wide lanes" and it really had limitations and didn't give the overall feel motorists were hoping for.

How high are you?

The first time I ever saw Jerry Seinfeld do a stand-up routine, he posed this eternal question: why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

Men's shirts button one way, and women's shirts button the opposite way.
Believe the same is true for zippers on pants.
How can there be a left zipper of a right zipper? They’re vertical! Madness.
Getting back to vehicles, how would the zipper merge get done?

Did you ever see Something About Mary?

It’s kinda like that.

It’s kinda like that.
Cringes

It’s kinda like that.
Cringes
How did he get the beans over the frank?!

How high are you?
Are we talking buggy high or car high?

How high are you?
Are we talking buggy high or car high?
The Romans are also responsible for this height, I’m sure.
:oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread