What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isn't it weird to donate for sick animals when we have sick kids? (1 Viewer)

Anyway, I like animals. As unwitting members of a society we've created, they have no family support to take care of the financial needs we've thrust upon them. Kids do. I am my puppy's keeper.

You want to give to kids, breast cancer, Westboro Baptist Church, or the Privacy Hedge Proliferation Society, knock yourself out. :shrug:

I'd rather save the wolves or something.
Cool. It's your money. You like wolves better than children, who am I to judge?*

*OH WAIT, A SANE PERSON, THAT'S WHO.

Maybe I'll stop my donations to Disabled American Vets and give to a children's charity. What did the veterans do anyway?
Big fan of donations to vets. They've made tremendous sacrifices and should be cared for.
Well, according to you, the vets can wait. We need to care for the children first.
Ok, let's have reasonable people differ on which class of humans are most in need. My primary point here was children vs. cats.
Your lifestyle vs children vs cats to be exact.

You don't want to help kids to the point that it impacts your lifestyle. Gotta have a new phone, computer, privacy shrubs, mansion, etc. before you worry about helping the sick kids.
That's a different debate, and it applies to everyone here. Good straw man, bad execution imo.

Maybe I'll stop my donations to Disabled American Vets and give to a children's charity. What did the veterans do anyway?
Big fan of donations to vets. They've made tremendous sacrifices and should be cared for.
Well, according to you, the vets can wait. We need to care for the children first.
Ok, let's have reasonable people differ on which class of humans are most in need. My primary point here was children vs. cats.

You don't want to help kids to the point that it impacts your lifestyle. Gotta have a new phone, computer, privacy shrubs, mansion, etc. before you worry about helping the sick kids.
That's a different debate, and it applies to everyone here. Good straw man, bad execution imo.
So its okay for you to waste money on all those things before helping the poor, starving, dying, children but others can't spend their money on animals? Is that what you're getting at?

So its okay for you to waste money on all those things before helping the poor, starving, dying, children but others can't spend their money on animals? Is that what you're getting at?
How much do you give to cats?

I like my comfort, and feel no shame about that. It comes higher on my priority list than every charity other than the Freelove's Wife and Kids Fund, to which I donate virtually all my earnings.

What I choose to give beyond that, I do because it makes me feel better about myself and the world I live in. Puppies in a state of woe tug at my heartstrings. Sue me. :shrug:

I acknowledge that liking my comfort puts my ability to discuss these things in terms of absolute priorities in a compromised position. Just as I acknowledge that it isn't a straw man argument just because I can't really defend it beyond, "I wanna."

But #### it, I wanna. And when that want is done, I want to help puppies. You want to help sick little Billy, better double your own donations up to make up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it weird for people to live extravagant lives when there are sick and dying children in the world?

Otis: Hey guys look at this mansion I just bought! Check out all the cool #### I bought to go in it!!! OMG!

Later...

Otis: You gave a $100 to the ASPCA? WHY WON'T YOU THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

I like my comfort, and feel no shame about that. It comes higher on my priority list than every charity other than the Freelove's Wife and Kids Fund, to which I donate virtually all my earnings.

What I choose to give beyond that, I do because it makes me feel better about myself and the world I live in. Puppies in a state of woe tug at my heartstrings. Sue me. :shrug:
Of course, we all like our comfort, and we all also donate most of the fruits of our labor to our wives and kids. I have no problem with any of that.

And I'm not gonna sue you. Unless woz tells me I have a claim. :looksatwatch:

Ok, so we've established that pets are equally as valuable as children.

Where is the dividing line between pets? Do you guys think it's silly to donate to pet fish causes? Hamsters? Just cats and dogs?

Where is the dividing line between pets? Do you guys think it's silly to donate to pet fish causes? Hamsters? Just cats and dogs?
You forgot privacy shrubs. They're definitely more important than children.

Isn't it weird for people to live extravagant lives when there are sick and dying children in the world?
Seriously yes. PM Chet.

You're mad about this aren't you. How much do you give to cats?
No, not mad. Just find it odd thinking.

I give to ASPCA, but most of my donations go towards helping people.
Can you tell me why it's odd thinking? It seems pretty normal to me. We gave X Million dollars as a society last year to help children. We gave Y Million dollars as a society to help cats. Given those facts, the thought wouldn't cross your mind that "hmm, hey, maybe we should take the Y Million we gave to cats, and instead give that to children too" ?

If you have ever owned a great dog you would know that they are 100% part of the family.
Wait a second...you can OWN family members?! I'm telling my daughters when they get home from school today that I have fields that need to be plowed. H'yah mule....H'YAH!!! :P

I know Otis is an easy schtick target here, but honestly he raises an issue I've wondered about for years. It baffles me that people are interested (and often fanatical about) in helping animals when there are so many people struggling. It's never made sense to me, but whatever makes people feel better I guess. I get the whole people can have multiple causes, but it seems to me we'd focus on helping humans first; then get to the animal/pet causes.

why does the US give aid to other countries when many of our own citizens have so many problems that need solving?

I know Otis is an easy schtick target here, but honestly he raises an issue I've wondered about for years. It baffles me that people are interested (and often fanatical about) in helping animals when there are so many people struggling. It's never made sense to me, but whatever makes people feel better I guess. I get the whole people can have multiple causes, but it seems to me we'd focus on helping humans first; then get to the animal/pet causes.
:yes:

And even more weird when people pick and choose what species deserves their donations while burping up the tasty succulent flesh of another.

Seriously yes. PM Chet.

Can you tell me why it's odd thinking? It seems pretty normal to me. We gave X Million dollars as a society last year to help children. We gave Y Million dollars as a society to help cats. Given those facts, the thought wouldn't cross your mind that "hmm, hey, maybe we should take the Y Million we gave to cats, and give that to children too" ?
I find it odd that anyone would question where people choose to donate. It's a personal choice that has no right or wrong answer but it is all for a good cause.

Seriously yes. PM Chet.

Can you tell me why it's odd thinking? It seems pretty normal to me. We gave X Million dollars as a society last year to help children. We gave Y Million dollars as a society to help cats. Given those facts, the thought wouldn't cross your mind that "hmm, hey, maybe we should take the Y Million we gave to cats, and instead give that to children too" ?
Let's do the same thing when it comes to breast cancer or ALS or Alzheimers. Screw those sick adults. Every penny should go to kids.

:yes:

And even more weird when people pick and choose what species deserves their donations while burping up the tasty succulent flesh of another.
:P Maybe folks could get Sally Struthers crying on an infomercial that shows lots of baby calves with their mothers. Show them up to their mid-sections in "poo," cold, wet, shivering...then show as said calve's mother is hauled off to the slaughterhouse...with Sally PLEAING for donations to save said cow. "THINK OF THE (COW'S) CHILDREN!!!"

Is it weird for people to spend money on their own children or even have their own children when there are plenty of other kids out there suffering and/or parentless?

Seriously yes. PM Chet.

Let's do the same thing when it comes to breast cancer or ALS or Alzheimers. Screw those sick adults. Every penny should go to kids.
To me it isn't about kids/adults; rather humans/animals. People that want to help animals before humans are want don't make sense.

Is it weird for people to spend money on their own children or even have their own children when there are plenty of other kids out there suffering and/or parentless?
seems pretty selfish to have kids. every cent you make should be donated to healing all the sick kids of the world. that doesn't leave much room for anything else.

You forgot privacy shrubs. They're definitely more important than children.
How many cats do you have?
Why do you love privacy shrubs more than your kids?
Jeebus

:lmao:

seems pretty selfish to have kids. every cent you make should be donated to healing all the sick kids of the world. that doesn't leave much room for anything else.
Exactly. And we need to be sure we are donating to the kids who absolutely need it the most. I'm sure there is some disabled kid in Africa that has both AIDS and Ebola. Cutting him a personal check as we speak.

Just cut some money to the local dog shelter because of this thread.

[fanks oatis] <-- dog at shelter

Exactly. And we need to be sure we are donating to the kids who absolutely need it the most. I'm sure there is some disabled kid in Africa that has both AIDS and Ebola. Cutting him a personal check as we speak.
Personally, I'm quitting my job and going to school to be a pediatrician. How can I do any other job when there are sick kids who need doctors?

i'll go there. i like cats and dogs better than kids, no question. my wife and i arent going to have kids. we do have pets, however. we'll let the rest of humanity raise their snot-nosed little crotchspawn. so i would donate to animal stuff before children's stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread