What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ito Smith, RB, ATL (2 Viewers)

Gotcha. One of those guys who's more valuable for real football than FF? (Or maybe he hasn't been as dominant this year as in the past)
And of course now he drops a 40-burger.  He must have heard me.  Hey Aaron, uh, I recently moved to, um, Idaho yeah that's it Idaho.

IIANM, has recently been out-touching Coleman. Sounds like he's currently banged up but Active today. Home vs the Cards. Anyone taking their chances with him today?

Ito Smith will undergo knee surgery this week and is done for the season.

Because Devonta Freeman (groin, I.R.) is not yet ready to practice, Tevin Coleman should be staring at a near-full workload in Weeks 16 and 17 against the Panthers and Bucs. Due largely to Freeman's injury, Smith earned much more work than expected as a fourth-round rookie but managed 3.50 yards per carry and just 5.6 yards per catch in one of the NFL's most-disappointing running games. Smith will return to compete for No. 2 back duties in 2019. Coleman is fully expected to walk in free agency.

Dec 17 - 3:49 PM

Thoughts on the kid in 2019?  

He's shown some flashes,but overall hasn't been terribly effective.  He's had a whopping 3.5 ypc.  5.6 Yards per catch.  They've trusted him enough to get the touches this season, and unless they bring in someone to replace Coleman, he'll get touches next year behind Freeman.  Freeman seems to have been on the decline for the last 2-3 years, which is odd to say about a 26 year old.  Being his backup could put one in line for a lot of touches.  I'm not sure Smith is more than a COP back though.  And there's always the chance they bring in someone else.

Coach Dan Quinn said he expects Ito Smith to see a "significant increase" in offensive looks this season.

Tevin Coleman is a free agent and fully expected to find a new team, leaving the Falcons with injury-plagued Devonta Freeman and Smith at the top of the depth chart. If Freeman is healthy, we can expect Smith to take on the old 1B role that Coleman filled in years past as a 10-12 touches per game back. Smith averaged a forgetful 3.5 YPC as a rookie on 90 totes. We can reasonably expect him to see upwards of 50-plus additional carries in 2019 as an RB3/FLEX option.

SOURCE: William McFadden on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 8:20 AM

Thoughts on this guy? Does Atl bring in a vet, or does Ito get the chance to replace Coleman?
I definitely think they drafted Smith with Coleman moving on as part of their plan at the time.

I don't know if he has played well enough for them to be planning on him getting a lot of action or not.

A free agent and/or rookie RB will certainly be added. I actually think they may be looking for a RB who is somewhat different than Freeman and Smith. A bigger banger perhaps?

If Freeman gets hurt again a huge amount of opportunities are up for grabs here.

I definitely think they drafted Smith with Coleman moving on as part of their plan at the time.

I don't know if he has played well enough for them to be planning on him getting a lot of action or not.

A free agent and/or rookie RB will certainly be added. I actually think they may be looking for a RB who is somewhat different than Freeman and Smith. A bigger banger perhaps?

If Freeman gets hurt again a huge amount of opportunities are up for grabs here.
Could be interesting to see Ware in this mix

Ito Smith RB, ATLANTA FALCONS

Speaking Monday, Falcons coach Dan Quinn said the team could use a rotation behind Devonta Freeman.

"It’s a position that has good talent for us," Quinn claimed. "And now to be talented as a group, it may be a combination of those roles and featuring what those guys can do best … That’s deeper than we’ve been at that position for a while, and I’m looking forward to the unique stuff that the guys do have." Sophomore Ito Smith is the favorite for No. 2 duties, but he struggled mightily as a rookie, comprehensively failing to make big plays despite being billed as a versatile playmaker coming out of Southern Miss. Fifth-rounder Qadree Ollison is Smith's biggest threat but profiles as a grinder.

SOURCE: atlantafalcons.com

Jul 22, 2019, 2:17 PM ET

Ito Smith rushed five times for 23 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' third preseason game, adding a nine-yard reception.

Smith was operating as Devonta Freeman's clear-cut backup this evening. It's a role it appears he will hold onto for Week 1 after a summer challenge from Brian Hill. A supposed big-play threat who did not make any big plays as a rookie, Smith seems unlikely to earn Tevin Coleman-level workloads behind Freeman.

Aug 22, 2019, 11:03 PM ET

Ito Smith rushed four times for 32 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for 13 yards in Week 2 against the Eagles.

Smith led the Falcons in rushing despite getting seven fewer carries than Devonta Freeman. It's the second straight week he's outplayed Freeman. Smith doesn’t have much standalone value, but with Freeman struggling, he’s one of the top handcuffs.

Sep 16, 2019, 12:01 AM ET

Ito will not be the answer even as starter. The OL is suspect and he's rather pedestrian, though he looks a bunch better than last year. He looks worlds better, actually. Maybe he can indeed carve out a role and do some things. 

Ito will not be the answer even as starter. The OL is suspect and he's rather pedestrian, though he looks a bunch better than last year. He looks worlds better, actually. Maybe he can indeed carve out a role and do some things. 
He does look a lot better.  And he's also a good indication of how much Freeman's injuries seem to have sapped his explosiveness.  Ito looks noticeably dynamic comparatively, and Ito is not dynamic.

He does look a lot better.  And he's also a good indication of how much Freeman's injuries seem to have sapped his explosiveness.  Ito looks noticeably dynamic comparatively, and Ito is not dynamic.
I think Devonta, as I posted in the other thread, might be on his last due to injuries, though he looked better than he did against MN. 

ESPN's Vaughn McClure reports Ito Smith (head) is believed to have escaped from Sunday's loss to the Rams with merely a stinger.

It's a little hard to believe after Smith got pulverized on a helmet-to-helmet shot by Cory Littleton in pass protection, but it would still be extremely good news. Even if Smith can get cleared for Week 8, he would be a zero-ceiling FLEX option vs. the Seahawks.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Oct 20, 2019, 6:36 PM ET

Falcons head coach Dan Quinn confirmed RB Ito Smith (concussion) won't suit up Sunday against the Seahawks.

Brian Hill will take his place as the offense's 1.B back. Smith and Devonta Freeman have largely split reps this season whenever Ito has been healthy. It wouldn't be surprising to see Freeman get more of a 70 percent snap share with Smith sidelined, but it's unlikely we see the Falcons' long-time starting RB get a full three-down workload. Both RBs would be low-floor plays if Matt Ryan (ankle) is ultimately sidelined in favor of 38-year-old backup Matt Schaub.

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 3:42 PM ET

Ito has been placed on IR

Rotoworld:

Falcons placed RB Ito Smith (neck) on injured reserve.

This will end his season, making Brian Hill the primary handcuff to Devonta Freeman. Smith only saw 22 carries this season, finishing with 106 yards and one touchdown. The 2020 season will be his third year in the NFL, but Smith is not guaranteed the No. 2 role in Atlanta moving forward. The Falcons could use an upcoming mid- or late-round draft pick to add some more life to the depth chart.

RELATED: 

Brian Hill

SOURCE: Falcons on Twitter

Nov 9, 2019, 2:12 PM ET

Atlanta Falcons reporter Matthew Tabeek believes "no Falcons running back can change direction quite like third-year back Ito Smith."

It's a shot at Todd Gurley as much as it is a compliment to Smith, who appears to be healthy after ending the 2019 on injured reserve with a neck injury. Last season, Smith and Brian Hill backed up Devonta Freeman and the duo remains the insurance backs to Gurley for fantasy purposes. If Gurley's knee can't hold up, the Falcons would likely turn to a running back by committee approach, and Smith is nowhere near a lock to be the lead back in that hypothetical committee. 

RELATED: 

Brian Hill

SOURCE: AtlantaFalcons.com

Aug 18, 2020, 7:07 PM ET

Ito Smith rushed 12 times for 65 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 12 win over the Raiders.

With Todd Gurley (knee) out, Smith out-touched starter Brian Hill 16-13 and scored the backfield's lone touchdown with an eight-yarder in the fourth quarter, pouring salt in the wounds of Hill's backers. Smith entered Week 12 with 13 carries for 46 scoreless yards on the season. He may have passed Hill on the depth chart with this performance, but the likely scenario would be both players splitting work next week against New Orleans if Gurley needs to miss another game.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcons interim coach Raheem Morris said Ito Smith is "the lead runner right now."

Morris also said Todd Gurley's role has "changed" of late. Not that he needed to tell us that; Gurley, who the Falcons signed to a one-year, $5.5 million contract after he was cut from the Rams, has fallen forward for 60 yards on 23 carries in his last four games. Smith has run for 37/167/1 and 4.5 yards per carry in that stretch but has still offered minimal value for fantasy since both Brian Hill and Gurley have stayed involved in lesser roles. If this is Morris' way of changing the guard and seeing what Smith has to offer as a featured back in Atlanta's last two games, Ito suddenly stands out as an interesting FLEX and DFS option in an uptempo matchup against the Chiefs in Week 16. He'll likely make an appearance in John Daigle's Waiver Wire column on Tuesday.

RELATED: 

Todd Gurley

SOURCE: Kelsey Conway on Twitter

Dec 21, 2020, 2:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread