What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J Galloway... (1 Viewer)

Sopranos

Footballguy
This guy was really good last season. The runs after the catches were beautiful. Much faster than i thought he could ever be at his age.And was healthy for the season. What are your thought on him for 06? He was around 7th in most scoring leagues..Will he be a high draft pick this season. I saw him play 4-5 games and i was impressed...

I think he'll be overvalued.I am always leery about those guys that don't do much and suddenly have a career year.

I think he'll be overvalued.
Not someone I would target unless he becomes a solid value pick. I also worry about his durability. It might just be me, but he seems to be nicked a lot. :banned:

Galloway is a fine WR with a history of being injured a lot. He finally stayed healthy in 2005 and was very productive. For me, one healthy season does not change anything. I still consider him a high risk / reward player. I was thrilled to grab him in round 12 a year ago, but he will probably get drafted a lot higher than I am willing to select him in 2006.For me there always seems to be value WRs that slip every season. I don't know who who will fall in 2006 but that's what my focus is on.

Well We are doing drafts right now in the mock draft section of the board, with the best competition around. Galloway went at picks 4.02 and 5.01 respectively in a 16 teamers. He is a solid value there, but the sharks are leary of a repeat performance.Joey has always been a great talent he finally put it all together.

I think Joey Galloway is gonna be comparable to Rod Smith in most fantasy leagues....An old guy that people aren't too crazy about.I'll let all the pretenders draft the Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams's and Nate Burleson's ... and gladly scoop up Joey Galloway and/or Rod Smith any day of the week.

If anything, I think he'll be undervalued (for the exact reason Grid mentioned above). Joey's got a lot left in the tank. I believe a healthy Joey & Clayton (which I don't believe both have ever been 100% while playing together) could be one of the better duos in the league.With Simms, Cadillac, Galloway, Clayton, A.Smith, there's a lot to like about the future in Tampa.

Well We are doing drafts right now in the mock draft section of the board, with the best competition around. Galloway went at picks 4.02 and 5.01 respectively in a 16 teamers.

He is a solid value there, but the sharks are leary of a repeat performance.

Joey has always been a great talent he finally put it all together.
I think 4.02 / 5.01 is way too high. That slots him as your starting WR. Just because he was healthy in 2005 doesn't mean that issue has gone away. 2005 may be the aberration. I would like to select him but not depend on him as my starter, hence as I say he is WAY overvalued there. He has huge risk.

I think you can't answer the Galloway question without understanding what happened with Michael Clayton this year. I don't understand it, so I don't think I will be able to do a good job projecting either of those players for next season.

I got nothing but mad love for Joey. I was highest in ranking him this year amongst the staff, and have little doubt I'll be giving him one of the higher rankings next season.Predicting injuries is folly. Just ask my good buddy tombeneau. At the start of last year he was heard to say it was only a matter of time until Glenn, Galloway, and Muhammad were all injured. He crowed pretty loud when it happened to Galloway. Galloway and Muhammad carried my teams at the end of last season. Glenn and Galloway were my top two value picks this season.In review, predicting injuries is a waste of time. They happen.

I think he'll be overvalued.

I am always leery about those guys that don't do much and suddenly have a career year.
Galloway saw the No.1 attention because Clayton was hurt for most of the year.Clayton will be healthy next year, and Alex Smith will be much more involved in the passing game as well.

Definitely lower your expectations.

If you're looking for a good steal though, draft Clayton.

Well We are doing drafts right now in the mock draft section of the board, with the best competition around. Galloway went at picks 4.02 and 5.01 respectively in a 16 teamers.

I think 4.02 / 5.01 is way too high. That slots him as your starting WR. Just because he was healthy in 2005 doesn't mean that issue has gone away. 2005 may be the aberration. I would like to select him but not depend on him as my starter, hence as I say he is WAY overvalued there. He has huge risk.
Too high in a 16 teamer??? he was the 18th & 12th receiver off the board in these drafts.great value.

Last edited by a moderator:
:yes: As mentioned, Clayton never appeared to be 100% last year.

His draft value will be quite low next year, but don't forget he had one of the best rookie WR seasons in history. The guy can play.

If people think Micahel Clayton will get 372 yards and no TD again next year, sure, dive in heartily on Galloway. If you think Clayton will get closer to the 1193/7 he had as a rookie, then don't even think about taking Galloway where he'll get drafted.

Other than the obvious (career year at 34 years old), Galloway will be 35 this year. Only 8 players that age (or older) have scored 150 fantasy points in a season:Cris Carter 2000 (35) 181 Tim Brown 2001 (35) 174 Jerry Rice 1998 (36) 169 Jerry Rice 2001 (39) 167 Irving Fryar 1997 (35) 167 Jerry Rice 2002 (40) 165 James Lofton 1991 (35) 155 Jimmy Smith 2004 (35) 153Given that Galloway scored 189 point this year, IMO he's looking at a decent chance of a step back in 2006.

Too high in a 16 teamer??? he was the 18th & 12th receiver off the board in these drafts.

great value.
For me? Yep. I would not draft him as my starter. I'm not saying it is impossible for him to be productive - I'm saying I feel the risk of injury is too great.

I asked the question because of how he played last season. It wasnt like they were long passes for TD's. He caught alot of short passes and made them into great plays. I thought he looked outstanding. I was very impressed with his speed and moves. Better than he ever looked in his 11 years in the NFL. On the Clayton side of the topic on could say Clayton being heathy could only help Joey get open. We go through this every year with a player. I was looking at it from a Keeper type point of veiw. If you need a top WR ASAP and cant draft one i was thinking he is worth a flier. If your alittle more conservative then go after more of a sure thing. Im not that way. I take chances and go after the the big #'s. After what i say from Galloway last season IMO he could do it again if he stays on the field. He has big play ability. Untill this season i just thought he was a older talented WR. Im going to take a chance. So you guys take McCardell or Clayton and the other marginal #3 guys and i will take a guy who can carry my team.He was that good in 05. :popcorn:

I think he and Santana Moss will be greatly overvalued by a lot of drafters, but it still stands to reason that if you have them in a dynasty league for a cheap price, they're worth keeping. In redrafts, well, you just roll the dice like always.

If people think Micahel Clayton will get 372 yards and no TD again next year, sure, dive in heartily on Galloway. If you think Clayton will get closer to the 1193/7 he had as a rookie, then don't even think about taking Galloway where he'll get drafted.
The thing nobody is taking into account is the fact these two haven't played together fully healthy yet. Clayton mopped up in '04 with Galloway down and Joey did the same in '05 with Clayton hurt.Tough to project for either of them if you're talking about them both having a healthy season.

This is going to be my tough decision for our keeper league.I picked him up off waivers, which qualifies him ("11th round or later") as a protectee. I have to spend a 6th round pick to protect him.I think he will be drafted earlier than the 6th round if I let him go - therefore, he's "worth" it. There's no way I'm going to invest three WR picks before the 6th round, so that would make him my #2 WR. A 6th round pick is a round earlier than I would normally pick my #2 WR.So, it's going to be a "tough" call, not that it should make or break my season.I have no other good 6th round protectee prospects, unfortunately, so it's Galloway for a 6th or drop him into the draft and draft whoever's available in the 6th round (i.e., nobodies).I would currently lean toward doing it, understanding that it's a bit of a crap-shoot with Clayton's situation and what that meant/means.

Too high in a 16 teamer??? he was the 18th & 12th receiver off the board in these drafts.great value.
For me? Yep. I would not draft him as my starter. I'm not saying it is impossible for him to be productive - I'm saying I feel the risk of injury is too great.
When you say "I would not draft him as my starter", you're basically saying that he's not in your top 20 or 24 depending upon league size. I don't think Galloway will be a #1 FF WR next year, but his ability to make big plays makes him an ideal #2, IMO.

When you say "I would not draft him as my starter", you're basically saying that he's not in your top 20 or 24 depending upon league size. I don't think Galloway will be a #1 FF WR next year, but his ability to make big plays makes him an ideal #2, IMO.
I don't think its a question of locking Galloway in as the nth best WR on my board and picking him if I need a starter and he's the top guy left in my list. I would not rely on him as my starting WR. I think the risk is too great to me. I would go in another direction. He's the perfect WR3 imho.

I got nothing but mad love for Joey. I was highest in ranking him this year amongst the staff, and have little doubt I'll be giving him one of the higher rankings next season.

Predicting injuries is folly. Just ask my good buddy tombeneau. At the start of last year he was heard to say it was only a matter of time until Glenn, Galloway, and Muhammad were all injured. He crowed pretty loud when it happened to Galloway. Galloway and Muhammad carried my teams at the end of last season. Glenn and Galloway were my top two value picks this season.

In review, predicting injuries is a waste of time. They happen.
You also have to take in consideration those players who have been injured or nicked for most of their career. Galloway was superb this year, but his history says otherwise. Predicting injuries might be a waste of time, but some players have much higher odds of getting injured or underperforming for whatever reasons. Just because everything clicks for a player one year, doesn't mean it will click the next. The odds of Galloway doing what he did this year are unlikely.

What, exactly, was wrong with Clayton last season? After checking various Tampa message boards it appears as though the kid didn't work very hard in the offseason and was seen partying at 4am quite often...any tampa homers want to chime in?

Predicting injuries might be a waste of time, but some players have much higher odds of getting injured or underperforming for whatever reasons.
I would like to see some objective data. Also, what exactly does "much higher" mean?

I don't think its a question of locking Galloway in as the nth best WR on my board and picking him if I need a starter and he's the top guy left in my list. I would not rely on him as my starting WR. I think the risk is too great to me. I would go in another direction. He's the perfect WR3 imho.
I dunno what kind of leagues you're playing in, but any league I've ever played with that has a normal lineup and decent players where you're not going to be relying on at LEAST one "risky" WR.There just aren't very many WRs that are consistently good year to year, and certainly nowhere near enough to fill out every starting lineup in a 12 team league that starts 2 or 3 WRs.

Just like last year, he had never really had a great year, but had a few good playoff games and then missed an entire season. He was a huge risk coming into this year, but there was no way you were going to get him unless you drafted him into a starting role since he was a 4th/5th rounder.

Once you get past round 3, that's pretty much it on "reliable" WRs. Unless you're taking two or three WRs with your first three picks, you're going to be relying on someone to start that isn't a sure thing.

Predicting injuries might be a waste of time, but some players have much higher odds of getting injured or underperforming for whatever reasons.
I would like to see some objective data. Also, what exactly does "much higher" mean?
:crickets:

:crickets:
Ahhh to hell with it.Link to Drinen article

Read an be educated. Love the fact the "he isn't likely to get injured" player was E. James who promptly got injured.
Interesting article. I was referring strictly to players who have the propensity to get injured over the years, like Bennett, Foster, Holmes, F Taylor, etc. Every player has a potential risk to be injured, but the evidence says that some have a far greater potential to get injured than others. Just like rb's breaking down after 30 years old, you take the odds and avoid rb's over 30 years old even though guys like Holmes, Barber and Martin can have great years after reaching 30. You just know that the statistics say that they are going to break down any minute. The article says that a injury-prone rb has a 35% chance of playing a full season. Not a great percentage.

And every player has a 50/50 chance of getting injured. We can't really predict injuries per se. It's just that some players seem to get injured far more than others and carry a lot more risk to complete a season.

:yes: As mentioned, Clayton never appeared to be 100% last year.

His draft value will be quite low next year, but don't forget he had one of the best rookie WR seasons in history. The guy can play.
set a teeam rookie record for receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TDs. if not for Big Ben could have earned rookie of the year honors.

Users who are viewing this thread