What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jacob Harris - TE - LAR (1 Viewer)

mcintyre1

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread for one of my late round dart throws, so figured I'd open it up.

Played WR at UCF, was a late bloomer and started his collegiate career as a Div 1 college soccer player. After signing day, he changed his mind and walked on at Western Kentucky, later transferring to UCF. He's 24 years old, and still pretty raw. All in all not a very tempting profile -- until you get to the positional designation and the raw athletic numbers.

1) The Rams drafted him in the 4th round and designated him as a TE. 

2) Jacob Harris pro day numbers:

• 6'5", 219 lbs
  • 4.39 40 yard dash
  • 11'1" broad jump
  • 40.5" vertical jump
  • 6.51 second 3 cone
  • 15 bench reps
Now, he's among the recipients of your annual OTA buzz:

Tight end Jacob Harris, receiver Van Jefferson shine at Rams OTAs

“Jacob Harris is a guy that’s definitely stood out,” said Rams head coach Sean McVay, when asked about players who have flashed among this year’s rookie class. “Just his overall speed and athleticism, you kind of feel him on the field. But that’s been in some of the limited, 7-on-7s and kind of running routes on air.

“That’s not how you really play football, so there is a real variance when you actually include the offensive and defensive lines. But just the overall athleticism and some of the things that he and Wes (Rams TEs coach Wes Phillips) have been working on the last few weeks in his improvement, he’s somebody that comes to mind.”
Watch: Rookie Jacob Harris shows off his size and speed on TD in practice

Went at 6.12 of our rookie draft. Damn. Was gonna try and bid heavily for him.

2) Jacob Harris pro day numbers:

• 6'5", 219 lbs
The weight stands out, though. Gotta bulk up a bit or you're a strictly move TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dane Brugler had him as his highest rated draft sleeper.

Bloom was fairly high on him too in his post draft 100.

I picked him in a couple of TE premium rookie drafts. It'll probably take a while for him to develop (if he does), but he seems like a really good flier to me.

Yeah grabbed him in a few spots in FFPC rookie drafts when I saw he was listed as a TE.

Just saw this recently where Snead talks about him being the top special teams ace in the draft and how he *could* be moved to TE. IDK let's see.

Yeah grabbed him in a few spots in FFPC rookie drafts when I saw he was listed as a TE.

Just saw this recently where Snead talks about him being the top special teams ace in the draft and how he *could* be moved to TE. IDK let's see.
I think MFL already moved him there, as did the Rams. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought he was drafted as a TE.

I nearly took him in both drafts. For those of us who missed, he's a name to keep an eye on toward cut down days. He's definitely a project that'll require patience and great taxi squad candidate.

I nearly took him in both drafts. For those of us who missed, he's a name to keep an eye on toward cut down days. He's definitely a project that'll require patience and great taxi squad candidate.
Yes, with a caveat. 24 year olds aren't long term projects. Similar story exists with Sammis Reyes (age 25). Neither of these guys need to pop this year, but they need to show enough to think they may next year.

Yes, with a caveat. 24 year olds aren't long term projects. Similar story exists with Sammis Reyes (age 25). Neither of these guys need to pop this year, but they need to show enough to think they may next year.
Agreed, though some leeway should probably be granted for the sport and position switches compared to a 24 year old rookie who has been playing their position for a decade.

But overall my interest is driven just as much by his seeming to be a fast learner as by the raw physical tools. Ideally we’d see him at least being deployed as a situational red zone weapon this year

Seems like he will get more snaps at TE, even if Higbee is healthy. He will get the snaps which went to Everett last season.

WR is more crowded. They lost Reynolds, but added Desean and the rookie Atwell. Plus Jefferson will be better in his second season.

Even if he blows up in training camp, it's so difficult in FFPC to hold on to guys like this, especially since TEs take so long to develop. I remember drafting Jonnu Smith and having to drop him in-season to cover injuries and byes. Similarly, guys like Hayden Hurst ended up on waiver wires after owners used a second-round pick on him. 

Seems like he will get more snaps at TE, even if Higbee is healthy. He will get the snaps which went to Everett last season.

WR is more crowded. They lost Reynolds, but added Desean and the rookie Atwell. Plus Jefferson will be better in his second season.
Whatever he’s listed as, the additions being lil guys like atwell and Jackson as opposed to a big hoss back shoulder fade type WR means they’re not really competition for the spots where he should be most likely to carve out a role initially. Even if he never learns a full route tree or how to block he has a chance to step in and be a huge matchup problem on fades or sideline throws, and he has the wheels to dust a LB up the seam every now and then.

I have no expectation he’ll be an every down guy this year but he’s not remotely blocked from being an option for the situational roles that will take the least development for him to be good at

Not necessarily. This used to be a primarily 11 personnel offense until it got stuck in neutral in 2019. They adapted and went with more 12, but like you said they now they have a new QB and invested in D Jacks + Tutu. I'm not sure what we're going to see out of this offense, but I would not assume it'll be like the last year plus.

I had a rookie draft in late May I think, and MFL listed him as a WR (though his designation when the Rams drafted him was TE I believe). By the time I had another rookie draft in June MFL had changed him to TE. I’ve seen some Waller comparisons (as in oversized WR with a TE designation) which would be good for ff purposes. As with others, I have him on teams with short benches so hopefully he shows some promise soon enough to hold. 

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports rookie Rams TE Jacob Harris has become a "special project" for tight ends coach Wes Phillips and head coach Sean McVay.

Described as a "total analytics pick" by the Rams in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft, Harris -- a hybrid receiver/tight end -- has played first-team snaps in LA's offseason practice with veteran Tyler Higbee not in attendance. McVay, who has spent extra time with Harris during rookie drills, said Harris is "a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.” An old rookie at 24, Harris (6'5/219) lit it up during his pro day, registering a 96th percentile burst score, a 95th percentile speed score, and a 99th percentile catch radius. Rams scout Michael Pierce said Harris is "as athletic as [Kyle] Pitts if you look at him at tight end" -- a bold claim, but not unfounded. Rodrigue said the Rams plan to use the rookie in a "variety of positions along the line of scrimmage," not as a traditional tight end. Harris -- who had 49 career receptions at Central Florida -- is an intriguing prospect in some fantasy formats, and should be drafted late in deeper tight end premium leagues in case he carves out a role in the Rams' offense. Higbee will be the team's Week 1 starter, though we've seen the Rams balk in giving Higbee a full-time role.

RELATED: 

Tyler Higbee

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 17, 2021, 11:47 AM ET

Jacob Harris drawing hype as mismatch weapon

With Tyler Higbee not practicing, rookie tight end Jacob Harris

has seen first-team reps during OTAs. The Rams' coaching staff has been impressed by the fifth-round pick, who has proven he can move around the field and serve as a true mismatch headache for other teams. In addition to being a tall and agile pass-catcher, Harris is expected to have a major role on special teams. When commenting on the rookie, head coach Sean McVay said, "I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a really nice job of getting him up to speed. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression." (The Athletic) 

Fantasy Impact:

McVay isn't the only Rams coach excited about Harris. Rams scout Michael Pierce, who first tipped the team on potentially drafting Harris, said, "If you think that he can be a tight end—which, I think he can be a tight end—then you say, ‘Let him develop, and he’ll win a spot at tight end because he’s so athletic, so fast, he can jump so high and he has that determination that you want out of the position. But then you think, ‘OK, he can be a receiver,’ because he’s got that top-shelf speed, he can really get to the top of coverage, he can jump and attack the ball." There is also a data side to the hype surrounding Harris. “I have done some studies over the past few years, looking at positions where, in those later rounds, what is going to give you the most success?” explained Sarah Bailey, a football analytics manager. “Tight end is one of those positions where the athlete has more probability of actually making it. I look at probability of playing, and when he switched his position from wideout to tight end, he actually increased his probability of playing by almost 20 percent." Ultimately, the stars are all aligning for Harris. Offseason coachspeak should be taken cautiously and Harris may not be an immediate breakout candidate, but he's still an intriguing stash regardless.

They seem to really like him but unless Higbee misses significant time, I think you're looking at a best case of something like Goedert's rookie season: 33/334/4. The Rams have so many weapons, between Akers, Woods, Kupp, DJax, Atwell, Jefferson, Higbee, et al.  Even if the offense is as prolific as many people think it will be, it's difficult to see Harris playing a consistent role barring injury.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports rookie Rams TE Jacob Harris has become a "special project" for tight ends coach Wes Phillips and head coach Sean McVay.

Described as a "total analytics pick" by the Rams in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft, Harris -- a hybrid receiver/tight end -- has played first-team snaps in LA's offseason practice with veteran Tyler Higbee not in attendance. McVay, who has spent extra time with Harris during rookie drills, said Harris is "a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.” An old rookie at 24, Harris (6'5/219) lit it up during his pro day, registering a 96th percentile burst score, a 95th percentile speed score, and a 99th percentile catch radius. Rams scout Michael Pierce said Harris is "as athletic as [Kyle] Pitts if you look at him at tight end" -- a bold claim, but not unfounded. Rodrigue said the Rams plan to use the rookie in a "variety of positions along the line of scrimmage," not as a traditional tight end. Harris -- who had 49 career receptions at Central Florida -- is an intriguing prospect in some fantasy formats, and should be drafted late in deeper tight end premium leagues in case he carves out a role in the Rams' offense. Higbee will be the team's Week 1 starter, though we've seen the Rams balk in giving Higbee a full-time role.

RELATED: 

Tyler Higbee

Jun 17, 2021, 11:47 AM ET

TS Garp said:
They seem to really like him but unless Higbee misses significant time, I think you're looking at a best case of something like Goedert's rookie season: 33/334/4. The Rams have so many weapons, between Akers, Woods, Kupp, DJax, Atwell, Jefferson, Higbee, et al.  Even if the offense is as prolific as many people think it will be, it's difficult to see Harris playing a consistent role barring injury.
That would be a very good season for a rookie TE - as an owner in two leagues, I’d sign up for that right now.

TS Garp said:
I'm not so sure an injury to DJAX would be more beneficial for his rookie season production then an injury to Higbee.

Great inexpensive stash if you have the roster space. If he gets buzz in training camp, or has a breakout preseason game, he'll be snapped up right away.

Rams TE Jacob Harris will be sidelined for "the next couple of weeks."

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reported that Harris underwent a procedure for a minor core injury. He will be held out of practice while he recovers. Harris was not added to the PUP list, so the injury doesn't appear to be too concerning. Still, it's notable that Harris, who is attempting to convert from wide receiver to tight end in his rookie season, will be out of action for several weeks of training camp.

RELATED: 

Tyler Higbee

Jul 30, 2021, 9:32 AM ET

Saw a good amount of action week 1 due to the Rams rolling with the 2nd stringers from the get go. Notably, he lined up almost exclusively out wide, with a few snaps out of the slot. Could just be that they wanted to make it easy for him (he's never been a TE before), but if this has any bearing on actual usage it'll be interesting to see if he manages to keep his TE designation. Had 7 targets, 4 catches for 43 yards. Nearly caught a long TD later in the game but couldn't keep both feet inbounds. The athleticism definitely shows.

Sean McVay likes what he saw from rookie Jacob Harris in preseason debut

“I thought we saw a lot of good things,” McVay said after the game. “For him to be able to make some plays, I think he can learn from some things as well in terms of just cleaning it up, ball security. But I liked his ability to break tackles. You can see the catch radius. He had a nice little in-breaking route on the second down and got us about 18 yards. He did a lot of things he can learn from it. I thought, overall, a positive experience for him.”
“We moved him around a little bit. He was mostly detached from the core tonight. So what his role remains to be, his role is to be determined for us offensively but it was encouraging to see him do those types of things,” McVay said. “I expect him to be a big contributor on special teams. I know Joe (DeCamillis) and Dwayne Stukes love what he’s done.  He’s got a good look in his eye. You can see he’s a player who’s excited about learning. Wes Phillips has done a nice job. I think getting him back in, having a couple weeks now to settle in and be able to do more because that tight end position involves so many intricacies, whether you’re in line or detached in the slot as a receiver like he was tonight. So looking forward to see him continue to grow.”

Saw a good amount of action week 1 due to the Rams rolling with the 2nd stringers from the get go. Notably, he lined up almost exclusively out wide, with a few snaps out of the slot. Could just be that they wanted to make it easy for him (he's never been a TE before), but if this has any bearing on actual usage it'll be interesting to see if he manages to keep his TE designation. Had 7 targets, 4 catches for 43 yards. Nearly caught a long TD later in the game but couldn't keep both feet inbounds. The athleticism definitely shows.
Definitely right about the athleticism…very noticeable…I just worry that McVay will never have enough toys to play with…Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Djax, Atwell, Higbee and now Harris and (who knows what he adds in next year’s draft)…if you have roster space he is an intriguing add but he could end up being Gerald Everett part 2.

Rams TE Jacob Harris suffered ACL and MCL injuries in the Rams' Week 9 loss to the Titans and will miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

After touting the former receiver's unique skillset in the summer, Sean McVay was unable to carve out a role for Harris. The rookie's debut campaign ended without a reception on 15 offensive snaps. Though, he was made active every week this season for his special teams prowess. He'll look to earn a larger role on offense in his second season.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Nov 8, 2021, 5:35 PM ET

• Hybrid tight end/receiver Jacob Harris was able to work on the sideline for the first time in a practice open to media. Harris, who tore his ACL last season, looked really fluid and explosive even running at partial speed in straight-line sprint drills.
Could do worse for an end of the roster spot

Jourdan Rodrigue @JourdanRodrigue

Jacob Harris walked into the Rams’ facilities this spring with a “new” position and a locker right next to Allen Robinson’s. In camp, and finally healthy, the message is clear: It’s time to go all-in at receiver. He’s got the tools, and teachers, to do it
https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1552655164284080129?s=21

“He can pattern himself after Allen, that will be a good guy to just watch film on, his body control, how he attacks the ball,” WRs coach Eric Yarber told me. Robinson has already started giving specific Harris coaching points. Pairing the two - Harris is a sponge - is by design.
https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1552656692172640257?s=21

For all of his clear gifts, Harris is still super raw. But Yarber told me that might be a good thing paired with desire to learn. 
“I like working with guys that are raw because they don’t have bad habits yet. Everything you teach them, they’re starting with those fundamentals.”
https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1552666874885722112?s=21

Users who are viewing this thread