What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina (1 Viewer)

Freaks List: The 20 craziest athletes in college football

Bruce Feldman

Excerpt:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina, DE: Like just about everything else that Jadeveon Clowney does athletically, his workout numbers are jaw-dropping but nothing (not even this) illustrates just how freakish the South Carolina DE is better than the Tendo.

The what?

The Tendo is an electronic power and speed analyzer (a speedometer of sorts) invented in Slovakia and has been around for about a decade in the U.S. strength and conditioning community.

"It's become one of the go-to tests in the strength industry," said Bert Sorin, owner and VP of Sorinex Exercise Equipment, the sole North American distributor of the Tendo. "It's changed the way a lot of people are training. Now you have a quality approach instead of just reps. You can see what kind of force is produced."

According to Sorin, a former All-American hammer thrower at South Carolina in the late 1990s, about 90 percent of top 25 football programs use the Tendo in some variety.

"It measures velocity and power in meters per second," explained Joe Connolly, the Gamecocks head football strength and conditioning coach. "It'll give you a power number, and it's expressed in watts. It takes into account body weight and different things. (Clowney) is in the 8000s and we're talking repetitive numbers in the 8500-range, and there isn't anybody on the team within 2000 of that.

"Clowney has a 8655w peak power reading. The closest number that a teammate has is a 6800w peak power reading. This differential is pretty vast. One major difference is JD can produce this kind of power repeatedly. Nobody else can do that."

Connolly's example: "Clowney first jump: 8655w. Jump two: 8653w. Jump three: 8650w. The rest of the word: Jump one: 6600w. Jump two: 6300w. Jump three: 6000w."

When Clowney arrived in Columbia two years ago as the nation's No. 1 recruit, he was a chiseled 6-foot-6, 238 pounder with explosiveness that had college recruiters raving. He was also "a recipe for disaster," said Connolly. "When he walked in the door he was a Ferrari engine in a Yugo. He was extremely explosive but he needed to stabilize a lot of his joints to help keep him injury free."

Since then Clowney has blossomed into a 275-pound guy who has many seeing him as the first pick in next year's NFL Draft and a viable Heisman Trophy candidate. "His first step was lightning, and that's just who is he and what God gave him," said Connolly. "The difference with him is that he's faster at 275 now. He's even more explosive and powerful at 275, which is frightening."

Clowney was tested by Gamecock coaches the week before South Carolina started spring ball. He vertical jumped 38 inches and clocked a 4.54 40 weighing 274 pounds. A year ago, he ran a 4.58 at 257.

A year ago, Clowney's teammate, Devin Taylor made the Freaks List. A former state triple jump champ, Taylor was a 6-7, 267-pounder who broad-jumped almost 11 feet.

"Devin was fluid and extremely smooth. Clowney is violent," said Connolly. "Devin will play in the NFL for a long time. Clowney is more violent than anybody I've ever seen. There is a violence to his first step. I've never seen anybody with more first-step quickness than he has. He's off the ball while the ball is still in the center's hands. His explosiveness is unparalleled."

Asked if it's realistic to think Clowney could show up next winter in Indy for the NFL Combine and vertical jump 40 inches while weighing 290, Connolly said, "There's no question that is within the realm of possibility.

"The difference is he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He's always been an average worker. But when you see, 'The draft before my draft is now done,' he's kind of flipped the switch. There's no question he's been very upfront and forward about the different things he wants to accomplish this year, and he realizes that strength and conditioning is a very important factor to getting to those goals."
Rotoworld:

After watching six SEC DL, all of which could be first or second day picks, Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay joked South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is from a different planet.
That is a good thing. More importantly, it only took McShay 10 plays to come to this conclusion. Clowney obviously enters the 2013 season as the top draft-eligible prospect in college football, but that doesn't lock him in as the No. 1 pick.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

Rotoworld:

South Carolina RB Mike Davis tweeted he thinks junior DE Jadeveon Clowney ran a 4.46 forty during spring testing.
Prospects always run fast in spring tests for a variety of reasons, but it is difficult for us to doubt this ridiculous time for a freak athlete like Clowney. The defensive end has already said he will enter the 2014 NFL Draft, so it is just a matter of time until we see him workout in front of evaluators.

Source: Mike Davis on Twitter

Rotoworld:

South Carolina RB Mike Davis tweeted he thinks junior DE Jadeveon Clowney ran a 4.46 forty during spring testing.

Prospects always run fast in spring tests for a variety of reasons, but it is difficult for us to doubt this ridiculous time for a freak athlete like Clowney. The defensive end has already said he will enter the 2014 NFL Draft, so it is just a matter of time until we see him workout in front of evaluators.

He should just not work out for any teams and let the legend grow. The guy is an animal and everyone knows it.

Rotoworld:

He should just not work out for any teams and let the legend grow. The guy is an animal and everyone knows it.
He's been touted since he was in junior high and has done nothing but produce in the toughest conf. in college. Stone cold lead pipe lock for #1 pick.

Rotoworld:

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney listed four QBs who he believes are scared of him.
Only four? Clowney specifically called attention to Clemson's Tajh Boyd, Georgia's Aaron Murray, former Arkansas passer Tyler Wilson, and Nebraska's Taylor Martinez. "He is scared every time we play them," Clowney said of Boyd. "I know he is probably listening to this right now, but I’m just telling the truth."

Source: Go Gamecocks
South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney set a goal of 20 sacks for the 2013 season.
In his first two seasons at South Carolina, Clowney has combined for 21 total sacks, so eclipsing his goal would be quite a feat. The Gamecocks have consistently produced a second rusher alongside Clowney, starting with Melvin Ingram and Devin Taylor. Chaz Sutton should be that other option this season, and he could play a pivotal role in Clowney's success.

Source: Joe Schad on Twitter

The best of Jadeveon Clowney's Tuesday comments

By Chase Goodbread

NFL Draft 365 writer

HOOVER, Ala. -- South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney can hold reporters as captive as he can quarterbacks. Here's a sampling of some of the junior's best responses during his media session:

On star Tennessee left tackle Antonio "Tiny" Richardson:

"I was hurt that game. I had a foot injury. That whole week I sat out of practice. I knew I was going to play, but I'm looking forward to it. I told him, 'We'll be back next year, and I'll be 100 percent when we come back, so be ready.' He is the best at holding and getting away with it. But he does a good job with it. If you don't get called for it, it's not a hold, so I respect it 100 percent. He did pretty good against me, and I told him that. I said, 'You're a good offensive lineman, keep doing what you're doing, it's going to pay off.' I said, 'I see you're getting a lot of hype about how you blocked me for that game, but you can't hold me for four quarters."

On his offseason eating habits:

"I'm like 265, 266. I'll be 270 or 275 by the time the season starts. I picked up six pounds in two days the other day, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day. It was killing my throat, I had to drink a lot of water. But I ate about six peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and dinner. I was like, 'I'm going to eat these all day and gain some weight back.' Because I got down to 256, and was like, 'No, I can't deal with this.'"

On Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd:

"You can see in his eyes that he's scared of our D-line. He is scared every time we play them. I know he's listening to this right now, but I'm telling the truth."

On the new "targeting" rule prohibiting hits above the shoulders:

"I really don't like that rule. I'm 6-6. Half the guys I tackle are like 6-3, or 6-foot. It's pretty hard for me to get low enough not to hit above the shoulders. That's football, though. I have to learn to work around it."

On the constantly-replayed, helmet-removing hit he put on Michigan's Vincent Smith:

"People are always coming up to me and telling me about that hit. I just get a laugh out of it now. The next day, it was on ESPN over, and over. And over. I was like, 'Well, I know it's a big hit now.'"

On his Heisman candidacy:

"It's not really a goal for me. The goal for me is to win the SEC. That's our biggest goal right now. If the Heisman comes, it will be there for me. If it happens, if I'm in New York, I'll be excited about it."

On how he stays out of trouble:

"I just stay out of bars, and stay off Twitter."

On whether he has what it takes to turn pro early next year:

"Yes, sir."

On his injury insurance policy:

"I didn't want to take it out, really. They were like, 'You need to take it out.' I was like, 'Man, it's football, and I've been doing it for awhile. I can get hurt anywhere.' It's not a big deal to me."

On Tennessee returning five (starting) offensive linemen:

"We're returning four defensive linemen."

On Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel:

"I would love to play against Johnny Manziel. I think our D-line is built for quarterbacks who like to run around in the pocket. We're good at containing fast quarterbacks. He would have to change his game by throwing the ball a lot."

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Tackling Dummies said:
Stone cold lead pipe lock for #1 pick.
Bet it's a QB
That's a good bet.

But it will be up to the QBs to prove they can knock off Clowney, not the other way around. What I mean is, he's the Andrew Luck of defensive ends, a guy getting bigger and faster, he may be on pace to be the first 300-pound speedball pass rusher. One of these guys is going to have to improve his stock this year in order to make a team pass on the best D-lineman prospect (maybe) ever.

I believe that you are nothing without a QB in the NFL, but I think stud DEs are more scarce. Boyd/Bridgewater/whoever is going to have to be rated at least as good as RGIII to push Clowney down. One of those guys is going to have to have a big year: no bad games, kill it at the combine, kill it on the white board, and kill it in the interviews.

If Luck was coming out next year, I would say Clowney is number 2. Unless one of the QBs really raises his stock, Clowney has to be the favorite.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a swap among the top 2-4 teams, with someone moving up for Clowney. if a team in the top 3 or 4 has their QB of the future already (a big if), why wouldn't the make a major push for Clowney??

Tackling Dummies said:
Bet it's a QB
That's a good bet. But it will be up to the QBs to prove they can knock off Clowney, not the other way around. What I mean is, he's the Andrew Luck of defensive ends, a guy getting bigger and faster, he may be on pace to be the first 300-pound speedball pass rusher. One of these guys is going to have to improve his stock this year in order to make a team pass on the best D-lineman prospect (maybe) ever.

I believe that you are nothing without a QB in the NFL, but I think stud DEs are more scarce. Boyd/Bridgewater/whoever is going to have to be rated at least as good as RGIII to push Clowney down. One of those guys is going to have to have a big year: no bad games, kill it at the combine, kill it on the white board, and kill it in the interviews.

If Luck was coming out next year, I would say Clowney is number 2. Unless one of the QBs really raises his stock, Clowney has to be the favorite.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a swap among the top 2-4 teams, with someone moving up for Clowney. if a team in the top 3 or 4 has their QB of the future already (a big if), why wouldn't the make a major push for Clowney??
It will be a QB more than likely. Unless for some odd reason a team with a strong QB, say Det or Indy just happen to be so bad this year they get the 1 overall. Yes, it will be a mistake too. Clowney is the best prospect at any position in years IMO. He should be a lock for the top pick bit in today's NFL he just isn't.

Rotoworld:

One NFL team's scouting director texted Albert Breer of the NFL Network that junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is similar to Julius Peppers.
Breer added that it is an "interesting comparison." Peppers was a freak athlete at UNC and became the No. 2 pick in the draft. He was frequently criticized for his lack of vocal leadership and even for a hot and cold motor, but truthfully Peppers has been one of the most consistent defenders in the NFL. Clowney will certainly draw rave reviews.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

By Chase Goodbread

NFL Draft 365 writer

HOOVER, Ala. -- South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney can hold reporters as captive as he can quarterbacks. Here's a sampling of some of the junior's best responses during his media session:

On star Tennessee left tackle Antonio "Tiny" Richardson:

"I was hurt that game. I had a foot injury. That whole week I sat out of practice. I knew I was going to play, but I'm looking forward to it. I told him, 'We'll be back next year, and I'll be 100 percent when we come back, so be ready.' He is the best at holding and getting away with it. But he does a good job with it. If you don't get called for it, it's not a hold, so I respect it 100 percent. He did pretty good against me, and I told him that. I said, 'You're a good offensive lineman, keep doing what you're doing, it's going to pay off.' I said, 'I see you're getting a lot of hype about how you blocked me for that game, but you can't hold me for four quarters."
That was an interesting game for Clowney. He was shut down pretty well and the team was emotionally gutted by losing Marcus to another injury. No energy on the field or in the stands.

Tenn had put up a comeback and was driving again. I said that Clowney was going to step up if USC was going to avoid the loss. Clowney did step up to knock the ball out and end the game.

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney listed four QBs who he believes are scared of him.
Only four? Clowney specifically called attention to Clemson's Tajh Boyd ... "He is scared every time we play them," Clowney said of Boyd. "I know he is probably listening to this right now, but I’m just telling the truth."
Boyd is moving up my prospect list. I like my QBs smart.

By Chase Goodbread

NFL Draft 365 writer

On how he stays out of trouble:

"I just stay out of bars, and stay off Twitter."
Smart kid.
It's easy to draw a different conclusion from that interview.

Tackling Dummies said:
Bet it's a QB
Yessir. I see Bridgewater as the QB call, but a team moving up from 4 to 1 (Oak?) that already has something of a prospect at QB makes sense.

I've got an extra first round pick in my rookie dynasty draft for a IDP league next year that I think will be between 5-8. Very much thinking about using it on this kid.

I've got an extra first round pick in my rookie dynasty draft for a IDP league next year that I think will be between 5-8. Very much thinking about using it on this kid.
I don't know what your scoring format is in your IDP League, but I do know that Clowney won't be available at the 5th pick in the rookie draft in my IDP League!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what your scoring format is in your IDP League, but I do know that Clowney won't be available at the 5th pick in the rookie draft in my IDP League!
fairly standard, non-PPR. 3 points per sack.

Jadeveon Clowney 'meaner, nastier' version of Julius PeppersBy Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

Excerpt:

In my NFL career, I was fortunate enough to play on the same teams as three Hall of Fame defensive ends (Derrick Thomas, Reggie White and Bruce Smith), but I've never seen a young edge rusher with the talent and potential of South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney.

Measuring 6-foot-6, 270 pounds with speed he claims to be sub-4.5, Clowney is an athletic marvel with phenomenal rush skills. He blows past offensive tackles with explosive first-step quickness, while also displaying rare balance, body control and burst around the corner. Most impressively, Clowney complements his dynamic agility and movement skills with a reckless style built on sheer strength and brutality.

With few pass protectors capable of handling such a remarkable combination of speed, athleticism and power, Clowney has collected 21 sacks over two seasons, including 13 in 2012. Additionally, he has forced eight fumbles in his brief career. Those numbers speak to the dominance and destruction Clowney has exhibited on the way to becoming the premier defender in college football.

Looking for a comparison to a current pro, I spent a lot of time consulting my notes on eight-time Pro Bowler Julius Peppers. As a scout with the Carolina Panthers from 2003-07, I watched the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 draft develop into one of the most dominant pass rushers in NFL history with a game built on the things that make Clowney great: speed, athleticism and agility. Peppers routinely eluded and outmaneuvered offensive tackles with an assortment of finesse moves that left evaluators around the NFL in awe. Most importantly, he put up the kind of disruptive production (111.5 sacks, 37 forced fumbles and eight interceptions in 11 seasons) that transformed the defenses of the Panthers and later the Chicago Bears into dominant units.

Michael Strahan @michaelstrahan

Damn! impressive! RT @LaVarArrington: Jadeveon Clowney Senior Highlights: http://youtu.be/LTkmiBdoBDc sheesh just watched this, he is a freak!

In Clowney, several NFL scouts I've spoken to see a meaner, nastier version of Peppers. An NFC personnel executive told me that Clowney is "stronger and more combative" than the Bears Pro Bowl defensive end. An AFC scout familiar with both players described Clowney as "more natural and relentless" than Peppers at this stage in his career, and couldn't stop raving about his disruptive potential as an edge rusher.

When teams are drafting players at the top of the board, the goal is to land a difference-maker capable of turning around the fortunes of the franchise. Based on Clowney's size, talent and disruptive potential, there is little doubt the junior defensive end will be in the discussion for the No. 1 player taken, no matter when he decides to enter the draft.

Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline believes South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is "marginally instinctive."
This is one of the two red flags Pauline sees in Clowney's tape. The defensive end "too often pins his ears back and rushes up field, overrunning plays," Pauline tweeted. The latter could be chalked up to his assignment or defensive scheme if coaches wanted Clowney to disrupt the backfield and wreak havoc more than making tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Rotoworld:

After looking into a report which stated South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney met with rap artist and sports agency owner Jay Z, the school concluded no wrongdoing occurred.
Clowney "has not had any impermissible conversations nor has he received any impermissible benefits," according to a release sent to ESPN's Travis Haney. It is not an NCAA violation for an athlete to meet with an agent or a representative from an agency as long as no agreement on representation is made.

Source: Travis Haney on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Georgia head coach Mark Richt said, "I think he might be the very best player to exist today, at any level," when discussing South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.
These are obviously some strong words from Richt. Clowney is a top talent and would carry the same label in every preceding year, but this is a bit of an exaggeration. The pass rusher is the odds on favorite to be the No. 1 pick and will likely earn a "rare" grade, to join the likes of Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, and Andrew Luck.

Source: Seth Emerson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

One NFL scout told NFL.com's Chase Goodbread that South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney can fit a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme at the next level.
The evaluator noted "that because Clowney's frame is so lean at 6-6, 275 pounds, he could project easily in a 3-4 or a 4-3 NFL scheme," Goodbread said. "As a rush linebacker in a 3-4, he is physically NFL-ready. Or, he could easily add the weight necessary to handle a 4-3 end spot." Let's be real, any defense could use Clowney's talent. Not every three man or four man front is the same, but it is noteworthy that certain teams likely won't devalue Clowney based on scheme.

Source: NFL.com

Can they show another ####### clip on espn? I've seen that one play a million times already.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
No friggin' way. He might not be ultra-dominant like some of us believe, but he's going to be a productive starter for a decade or more at a minimum.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network:

I polled five NFL executives, each with more than 10 years of scouting experience, and asked them if Jadeveon Clowney was the best defender in college football they had seen over the last decade. Here are their answers:

Executive No. 1: Second to none

"Yes. I have him over Von Miller, (Ndamukong) Suh, (Darrelle) Revis and Mario Williams. He has size, speed, rare athletic ability, flexibility and explosion. He's a dominating player vs. the run and pass."

Executive No. 2: Slight edge over Super Mario

"He's neck and neck with Mario Williams. There's no question that Clowney has created more buzz than any defensive player dating back to Charles Woodson. I guess I'll give Clowney the slight edge over Williams."

Executive No. 3: Only Suh comparable

"Yes. Only Suh is comparable. Clowney has everything including size and production. I knew he'd go No. 1 overall since his high school film was made public."

Executive No. 4: Clowney's a game-changer

"Hands down. Can you name a more dominant pass rusher in college during that time? I can't. He changes the game."

Executive No. 5: No one's perfect but ...

"I don't think he's a perfect prospect, but he has rare size and speed. He's a little bit tight, but overall he's probably still the best defensive player during that period of time."

Verdict: All five executives agreed that Clowney was the best defensive player they had seen in college football over the last decade.

Conclusion: With the massive amount of media now covering college football, it's easy for the hype to build on individual players. Sometimes the hype is unwarranted, but there are still instances where the performance matches the publicity. According to these five executives, this is one of those situations. Members of NFL personnel departments are just as high on Clowney as the rest of us.
Honestly, I think they could have gone back another 10 years (at least) and asked the same question.

I agree he's the best prospect of the past 10 or so years. I'm surprised nobody mentioned P. Willis or P. Paterson in their comments though. They are 2 of the highest rated defensive guys for me in the last 10 years or so as well.

I agree he's the best prospect of the past 10 or so years. I'm surprised nobody mentioned P. Willis or P. Paterson in their comments though. They are 2 of the highest rated defensive guys for me in the last 10 years or so as well.
I've heard people say he's the best defensive prospect since LT in '81 (he went 2nd overall after the Saints took George Rogers).

@WilliamsonNFL 2m

Veldheer was one of the very worst guys #Raiders could afford to lose...what a shame...J Clowney time
If it comes to that, they'll have to throw a dart between Clowney and Bridgewater.

I understand that Clowney is a once-in-a-generation talent, but defensive ends don't touch the ball every play. If Teddy has the type of season everyone expects, it will be very hard to pass on him. Look at the difference Luck, Wilson and RG3 made in their first season. IF they think Bridgewater is on that level, they probably have to take him. We haven't had a decent QB since Gannon's last great season in 2002, and not coincidentally, Oakland has not made the playoffs since.

Honestly, I think they could have gone back another 10 years (at least) and asked the same question.
100% agree.

I haven't seen a better defensive prospect in 20+ years of being an NFL/college football nerd.

Off the top of my head, Deion Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Charles Woodson, Andre Wadsworth (bust), Warren Sapp, and Suh were other defensive players that I was extraordinarily high on.

Clowney gets the edge over them though.

I am always surprised that I never read anything critical of his work against the run. He needs to do a lot of work there IMO.

As far as DEs go, he's the best I've seen since Dwight Freeney. Maybe he is a taller Freeney? Or a better Kerse? Either way he's one of the greatest DE prospects no matter how you grade him.

Best defensive player I ever saw was Dan Wilkinson. Seemed like he was in the backfield every play.

As far as DEs go, he's the best I've seen since Dwight Freeney. Maybe he is a taller Freeney? Or a better Kerse? Either way he's one of the greatest DE prospects no matter how you grade him.
If he keeps his head on straight, unlike Kearse, I think he will be.

If he keeps his head on straight, unlike Kearse,
What did Kearse do wrong other than get hurt a lot?
After he tore his meniscus and missed most of 2006 there were reports that he was in Miami 'partying like a rock star' on his yacht. He showed up to camp in 2007 weighing 30 pounds under his playing weight.

Link

Gary Cobb, former Eagle and now radio and web personality, even went as far as to call out Kearse on his website for being focused more on partying than playing football this off season.

I hear Jevon Kearse has a huge, new, beautiful yacht down in Florida, which he is spending a lot of time on, these days. Jevon is on the yacht when he's not throwing parties in his "knockout monster of a house". Kearse from what I hear has been quite the party guy, this off season. I hear a lot of things about what the guys are doing on their own time and I don't write or talk about it, because I think they deserve some privacy. But when it affects their play, I make it public.
Right now Jevon is living like he's not playing football any more.

Rotoworld:

Three NFL scouts believe South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney took too many plays off last season, according to the NY Times' Greg Bishop.
South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward shared the sentiment with the NFL evaluators. Apparently Clowney did too, since he worked all summer to improve his conditioning. We think this is nitpicking a bit, honestly. The majority of defensive linemen have their motor questioned at some point during the draft process, but we look forward to seeing how Clowney plays once in better shape.

Source: NY Times

Rotoworld:

North Carolina coach Larry Fedora said South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is the hardest player he's ever prepared for.
"I've never played against a guy that's 272 pounds and runs a 4.4," Fedora said. "And it's obvious on film. He plays at a different speed than other guys, because he is faster than other guys. And then he plays hard. And you see him out (there) -- I'm trying to remember which game it was where I saw them hand the ball off to a back on a sweep, and he broke and I think Clowney caught him about 25 yards down the field. So he can run." Fedora, who schemed against Brian Urlacher when the former coached at Air Force and the latter played at New Mexico, believes Clowney is a more difficult matchup than the 13-year NFL veteran who collected more than 1,000 tackles and recorded 41.5 sacks in the pros.

Source: NFL.com

Mario Williams was Clowney before Clowney. So was Courtney Brown.and Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I think he's in that class, but he's not JJ Watt yet. I'm guessing he's a top-3 pick unless he gets hurt, but even from a purely NFL perspective, he's not yet the revolutionary player the media is hyping him up to be. He's just this year's pick for revolutionary player.

Before I get ripped here, like I said, I think he's on the Peppers/Williams level of potential and upside. I just think too many folks are annointing him too early. Brown was a bust, Williams has been good to very good, and Peppers has been a stud. Even the great ones in college end up taking very different NFL career paths.

timschochet said:
Week 14: Jets vs. Raiders. Clowney ought to have a 50 yard line seat...
I will be in my living room, sitting on my brother's shoulders, shouting "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets Jets!"

LarryAllen said:
Mario Williams was Clowney before Clowney. So was Courtney Brown.and Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I think he's in that class, but he's not JJ Watt yet. I'm guessing he's a top-3 pick unless he gets hurt, but even from a purely NFL perspective, he's not yet the revolutionary player the media is hyping him up to be. He's just this year's pick for revolutionary player.

Before I get ripped here, like I said, I think he's on the Peppers/Williams level of potential and upside. I just think too many folks are annointing him too early. Brown was a bust, Williams has been good to very good, and Peppers has been a stud. Even the great ones in college end up taking very different NFL career paths.
If you base your analysis on what the media tells you I guess I can see your point.

But on the field those guys aint Clowney

LarryAllen said:

If you base your analysis on what the media tells you I guess I can see your point.

Not even close. And Watt wasn't half the college player as those other guys. He's turned into the best Pro but that's a different story.

LarryAllen said:

Not even close. And Watt wasn't half the college player as those other guys. He's turned into the best Pro but that's a different story.
I brought up Watt cause he's the best defender in the NFL across the line and people are already talking about Clowney like he'll step right in and put up 20 sacks and be hanging off QB's backs every play.

Maybe you guys are young; maybe it's just that even 7-12 years ago (when Williams and Peppers were drafted) there wasn't sports science and prospect/draft coverage 365 days a year.

Peppers was a once in lifetime pass-rusher. He won every collegiate award for a DE (Lombardi, Bednarik...) averaged a sack a game and ran a 4.7 at 6'7, 283 at the combine.

Williams was even more coveted (he was picked #1 ahead of the "great" Reggie Bush).He didn't rack up the college awards, but he was the biggest freak of nature. 6'7,300 and ran a 4.7 fourty. No one had ever seen that. He was a pass-rusher in the chiseled body of a DT.

Clowney may be there with them in terms of prospect hype, but all I was saying is that the greatest (insert position) prospect of the last 25 years, or all-time... seems to come along every 5 or so years.

Users who are viewing this thread