What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina (1 Viewer)

LarryAllen said:
Mario Williams was Clowney before Clowney. So was Courtney Brown.and Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I think he's in that class, but he's not JJ Watt yet. I'm guessing he's a top-3 pick unless he gets hurt, but even from a purely NFL perspective, he's not yet the revolutionary player the media is hyping him up to be. He's just this year's pick for revolutionary player.

Before I get ripped here, like I said, I think he's on the Peppers/Williams level of potential and upside. I just think too many folks are annointing him too early. Brown was a bust, Williams has been good to very good, and Peppers has been a stud. Even the great ones in college end up taking very different NFL career paths.
If you base your analysis on what the media tells you I guess I can see your point.

But on the field those guys aint Clowney
Not even close. And Watt wasn't half the college player as those other guys. He's turned into the best Pro but that's a different story.
I brought up Watt cause he's the best defender in the NFL across the line and people are already talking about Clowney like he'll step right in and put up 20 sacks and be hanging off QB's backs every play.Maybe you guys are young; maybe it's just that even 7-12 years ago (when Williams and Peppers were drafted) there wasn't sports science and prospect/draft coverage 365 days a year.

Peppers was a once in lifetime pass-rusher. He won every collegiate award for a DE (Lombardi, Bednarik...) averaged a sack a game and ran a 4.7 at 6'7, 283 at the combine.

Williams was even more coveted (he was picked #1 ahead of the "great" Reggie Bush).He didn't rack up the college awards, but he was the biggest freak of nature. 6'7,300 and ran a 4.7 fourty. No one had ever seen that. He was a pass-rusher in the chiseled body of a DT.

Clowney may be there with them in terms of prospect hype, but all I was saying is that the greatest (insert position) prospect of the last 25 years, or all-time... seems to come along every 5 or so years.
Thanks for clearing up the Watt piece. I see what you're talking about there. As for the other guys, I'm not too young to remember them at all. I actually remember all 3 of them very well and I believe Clowney is clearly a better prospect then each of them. High praise, I know. The athleticism gap is pretty wide from those guys to him. We are talking about a guy who will measure around 6'6", 275 and runs a 4.5 forty. Rumor has it he will jump around 35" in the vert as well. That. Is. Unreal. Better yet, he plays low to the ground with tremendous natural leverage. He can drive his shoulder into the ground and almost get parallel laterally, like a much smaller edge rusher. Think V. Miller. He's also got amazing length in his arms but great strength to go with it. This allows him to stock linemen trying to block him, read the play and simply chase people down with his incredible speed.

This guy is a man child and IMO is the best prospect I've ever seen. None of that matter once he's in the NFL of course. He needs to prove it there just like he is doing now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working with the game on in the background, but every time I looked up Clowney was "gassed and resting on the sidelines."

:oldunsure:

Jadeveon Clowney good but tired in 2013 debut against North Carolina

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

August 29, 2013 9:03 pm ET

The consensus elite prospect in the country, Jadeveon Clowney was good -- but not dominant -- in the first game of what is widely expected to be his final season at South Carolina.

Primarily lining up opposite Preseason All-American left tackle James Hurst, Clowney was "only" credited with three tackles before a weather delay suspending game action in the mid fourth quarter. He saw action when the game resumed over an hour later, lining up opposite UNC's backup right tackle Kiaro Holts but did not record a tackle.

When blocked one on one by Hurst, Clowney frequently impacted plays, penetrating into the backfield to force quick throws by senior Bryn Renner and forcing backs into the arms of teammates. UNC did everything it could schematically against Clowney, double-teaming him, running misdirection away from him and screens over the top of him.

Clowney did not register a stop following the delay but did beat Holts early with a quick inside move, forcing an errant thrown from Renner. A play later, Holts retaliated with a questionable late, low block into the back of Clowney's knee that drew a flag for clipping. Clowney had a slight limp as he walked off the field but returned on the Gamecocks' next defensive series.

Considering the hype Clowney has received, those focusing on him for the first time Thursday night might have left disappointed. The attention from UNC (and a game-time temperature of 96 degrees) clearly had Clowney winded. The star defensive end also told reporters after the game that he'd been suffering from a stomach virus.

"The night before I had a stomach virus... All night long until this morning," Clowney said.

He was subbed for most of UNC's lone scoring drive of the first half and did not make the type of impactful plays he has throughout his first two dominating seasons in the SEC.

This was a home game for Clowney and the Gamecocks so scouts may have a hard time excusing the star defensive end's exhaustion. As such, for the handful of NFL talent evaluators watching No. 7 for the first time Thursday night, Clowney's first impression could be that, while talented, he needs to work on his conditioning to warrant his hype.

Clowney's 2013 debut may lack the sizzle to spark a Heisman campaign but taken in context with the rest of his sparkling career, his status as NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated prospect potentially available for the 2014 NFL draft is secure.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mark Schlabach expects South Carolina to use junior DE Jadeveon Clowney in different alignments against Vanderbilt.

Schlabach noted that Clowney is "frustrated" with his season and role thus far, and the pass rusher has insinuated as much to the media. Clowney suggested lining up over the center so teams can't run their offense away from him. We still believe the highly touted prospect is significantly impacting games, just not stat sheets.

Sep 11 - 4:33 PM

Source: ESPN
Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl counted six pressures on South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney's 20 pass rushing attempts against Georgia.

A pressure is counted as a "hit on the quarterback, forcing a quick throw or making the quarterback move off the spot," according to Weidl. Clowney also had one sack and one pass deflection during the contest. The pass rusher was double teamed five times, according to Weidl, and Georgia ran a quick play on seven other occasions. Clowney is getting beat up by large media outlets, but we still believe he is impacting opposing offenses on multiple levels.

Sep 9 - 3:36 PM

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Georgia QB Aaron Murray responded that it's "not even close" when asked if he'd ever faced a defensive player like South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.

"He's an extremely talented pass rusher, extremely talented against the run," Murray said. "Physically, there are not many guys like him walking the streets, that's for sure. A guy that just causes you to scheme for him, whether it's put multiple guys on him, have a tight end chip, a running back chip, slide a protection his way -- he causes a lot of focus. We've got to be ready to go, and I know our coaches will have a nice game plan that hopefully slows him down a little bit." Easier said than done, Mr. Murray, and remember to keep your head on a swivel. The Bulldogs and Gamecocks kick off between the hedges at 12:30 PM ET on Saturday.

Sep 5 - 2:57 PM

Source: NFL.com
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney "still has a lot of work to do to prove he is a worthy candidate as the No. 1 overall pick."

"When I quizzed a few scouts at the Alabama-Virginia Tech game about Clowney's questionable conditioning, most were surprised by his lack of endurance, but few viewed it as a major concern," Brooks writes. One NFC scout added Clowney has a "hall pass" to do whatever he wants in terms of taking plays off. We think it is a bit early to crush Clowney until he has no excuses, i.e. admitting he was sick 24 hours prior to the season opener. Brooks still believes the pass rusher is the top defensive player in the country.

Sep 3 - 10:38 AM

The good news for the Clowney is that he won't have to move very far next year.

The bad news is that he'll be playing for Jacksonville.

They have to take Bridgewater
Their defense is horrible too. The only reason the stats don't look as bad is that teams start running the clock out at half time.

The Jags should take the sure thing and try to get a less highly rated QB, perhaps Fales (who reminds me of Brady).

Their defense is horrible too. The only reason the stats don't look as bad is that teams start running the clock out at half time.

The Jags should take the sure thing and try to get a less highly rated QB, perhaps Fales (who reminds me of Brady).

I disagree entirely. You don't mess around with the QB position. Clowney could be the guaranteed NFL love-child of Julius Peppers in his prime and the current JJ Watt, and it would have less of an effect on a franchise and their W-L record than a talented young QB who can make all the throws. And he wouldn't have to be the next Luck or RG3 or even Newton, he'd just have to be at least above average in his first couple years while showing nice flashes of being more. That will do more long-term AND short-term for any team than Clowney. That's the reality of the current NFL.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Rotoworld:

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is not playing Saturday against Kentucky due to bruised ribs.
Many will immediately conclude Clowney is packing it in this season, but it is tough for anyone to know that for sure. If that is the case, he might opt for surgery to repair bone spurs in his foot now rather than waiting for the end of the season. We think he is consistently disrupting and causing offenses to change their gameplans, but that isn't always enough on the national stage.

Source: Josh Kendall on Twitter

Boomer says they have to take Manziel.
Boomer :lmao:
Completely agree on Bridgewater, but this is the Jaguars & they can't do anything right... Teddy avoids disaster and they draft a defensive end instead.

Rotoworld:

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier told reporters junior DE Jadeveon Clowney held himself out of Saturday's game against Kentucky.
Clowney apparently dropped the news to Spurrier just before the game. "I will just say he told me he couldn't play," Spurrier said. "If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants." Clowney officially missed the game due to bruised ribs, but everyone affiliated with the team seemed surprised he sat out. Many had no idea about the injury throughout the week. This will obviously fuel the fire for people believing Clowney is packing it in this season. We won't go there just yet, at least until he opts for surgery to repair bone spurs in his foot.

Source: Go Gamecocks

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Paul Finebaum said South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is "the biggest joke in college football."
"His behavior has been disgraceful," Finebaum said. Finebaum has made a career of employing charged diction in his obnoxiously over-the-top sounds bites. That isn't the story here. The story is that Clowney unilaterally chose to sit out Saturday's game against Kentucky with an injury (bruised ribs) that most would have played through; and not only that, but Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier elected to tell the truth to the media after the game and not cover for his potentially transcendent star. Clowney's decision means one of two things: Either his pain threshold is exceedingly lower than the average human's (which doesn't seem probable), or Clowney doesn't care about his college team or his public perception as much as other people would like him to. Some NFL executives have claimed that Clowney's decision-making process won't hurt his draft stock, but those quotes ring hollow. Clowney still appears to be a Top-3 lock, but Teddy Bridgewater now has a better chance at No. 1.

Source: Bleacher Report

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Paul Finebaum said South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is "the biggest joke in college football."

"His behavior has been disgraceful," Finebaum said. Finebaum has made a career of employing charged diction in his obnoxiously over-the-top sounds bites. That isn't the story here. The story is that Clowney unilaterally chose to sit out Saturday's game against Kentucky with an injury (bruised ribs) that most would have played through; and not only that, but Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier elected to tell the truth to the media after the game and not cover for his potentially transcendent star. Clowney's decision means one of two things: Either his pain threshold is exceedingly lower than the average human's (which doesn't seem probable), or Clowney doesn't care about his college team or his public perception as much as other people would like him to. Some NFL executives have claimed that Clowney's decision-making process won't hurt his draft stock, but those quotes ring hollow. Clowney still appears to be a Top-3 lock, but Teddy Bridgewater now has a better chance at No. 1.

Source: Bleacher Report
Finebaum is a professional hater.

A lot of people agreed with Vincent Jackson's decision to sit out for part (and possibly all) of the season when he was tendered a mere $3.3 million. Why play for a few hundred grand a game? That's a pittance compared to what he's likely to get in another year or two if he can stay healthy. He may as well sit out to make sure he stays healthy.

Is it terribly different if Jadeveon Clowney decides to sit out for similar reasons when he's being tendered $0?

I don't have a strong opinion about it either way, but I think it's interesting that public sentiment seems to be against Clowney when it was generally in favor of Jackson.

Obviously doesn't want to get hurt and just wants to get to the draft unscathed. You have to wonder how much he really loves football though and how much work he puts in when he does get paid.

A lot of people agreed with Vincent Jackson's decision to sit out for part (and possibly all) of the season when he was tendered a mere $3.3 million. Why play for a few hundred grand a game? That's a pittance compared to what he's likely to get in another year or two if he can stay healthy. He may as well sit out to make sure he stays healthy.

Is it terribly different if Jadeveon Clowney decides to sit out for similar reasons when he's being tendered $0?

I don't have a strong opinion about it either way, but I think it's interesting that public sentiment seems to be against Clowney when it was generally in favor of Jackson.
Plus I'm pretty sure that in this very thread (if not, it was somewhere else here) we discussed whether or not it made some sense for Clowney to just sit out the entire year and just train full time. It's funny that this was discussed on national programs like PTI and now, if he is holding himself back on purpose, people are completely against him.

edit: It's literally the OP. Mike and Mike having the discussion.

:goodposting:

After watching what happened to his teamate last year, I have no problems with Clowney sitting out if he thinks he is too injured to risk it.

Plus I'm pretty sure that in this very thread (if not, it was somewhere else here) we discussed whether or not it made some sense for Clowney to just sit out the entire year and just train full time. It's funny that this was discussed on national programs like PTI and now, if he is holding himself back on purpose, people are completely against him.

If he was going to dog it on the field though, he would have been better off sitting out. At least that shows some sort of commitment to football. Dogging it gives the appearance of laziness and makes people question his work ethic when he does get paid.

If he was going to dog it on the field though, he would have been better off sitting out. At least that shows some sort of commitment to football. Dogging it gives the appearance of laziness and makes people question his work ethic when he does get paid.
Well, it looks like he's starting to choose sitting out over "dogging it" if you believe the reports. You could also make the case that him giving less effort (which, FTR, I don't buy into...there's no better way to get yourself hurt in a football game than to not try your hardest) but remaining on the field forces the opposing team to game plan around him, which will benefit his own team.

Obviously doesn't want to get hurt and just wants to get to the draft unscathed. You have to wonder how much he really loves football though and how much work he puts in when he does get paid.
Thanks to the new rookie scale the big money is in the second contract.

:goodposting:

After watching what happened to his teamate last year, I have no problems with Clowney sitting out if he thinks he is too injured to risk it.
:goodposting: :goodposting:

Every time a football player gets a little leverage and decides to use it, it drives fans nuts. I hope it drives the NCAA and NFL nuts.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks says that he he'd "have a hard time taking" South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick "based on his performance, production and behavior this season."
Clowney has flopped under the bright lights in 2013, recording only 12 tackles, three TFL and two sacks. "Although most evaluators didn't expect him to post spectacular numbers based on the fact that savvy offensive coordinators would find a way to minimize his impact by running away from him or using multiple blockers in pass protection to neutralize his effectiveness, it has been his questionable effort, conditioning and attitude that have raised red flags in my mind," Brooks writes. "Clowney simply hasn't shown the college football world his A-game this season." Brooks' most damning observation about the 6-foot-6, 270-pound defensive end comes across as resigned, rather than frustrated: "...it's hard to get fired up about a player that is seemingly 'shutting it down' to protect his future considerations."

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney announced that he is committed to the Gamecocks and will play again this season.
Clowney finds himself in the unfortunate position of having to publicly address unfounded rumors. Generally, we have sympathy for people in that situation. Our grace stops when the person in question is acting so erratically that the unfounded rumors appear more logical than the actions that spurred them. To recap: Clowney (bone spurs in his foot and bruised ribs) unilaterally chose to sit out last weekend's contest against Kentucky when everybody agreed he could have played. South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier could have averted all the heat that was about to come down on his star player if he had lied and said the school elected to hold out Clowney, but he elected not to do so. Clowney is now saying that he is questionable for this weekend's game against Arkansas. Clowney is coming across as simultaneously soft, dishonest and aloof. It isn't a good look, and it's one reason that he's no longer a lock to be the No. 1 pick.

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier noted junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is getting treatment twice a week for his injuries.
Clowney is dealing with bone spurs in his foot and bruised ribs, which kept him out of last weekend's contest against Kentucky. Expect to read much more on Clowney and how many interpret his final season with South Carolina.

Teams in the latter half of the top 10 are loving these reports. Usually they need to take charge leaking stories (true or completely false) to media members in order to try to diminish players' stock.

Teams in the latter half of the top 10 are loving these reports. Usually they need to take charge leaking stories (true or completely false) to media members in order to try to diminish players' stock.
If the Giants somehow manage to land him I would be absolutely thrilled.

If the Giants somehow manage to land him I would be absolutely thrilled.
The Falcons are 1-4. I hope we don't win another game and somehow luck into Clowney.

Did you hear Clowneys interview? There is no way he can be passing any kind of even low level college classes.

Da Guru said:
Did you hear Clowneys interview? There is no way he can be passing any kind of even low level college classes.
Really? College isn't that hard, man. Sounded like a guy who wasn't prepped by the university to me. Nothing more, nothing less. I really think he's just a guy who doesn't care what people think of him. Outside his circle that is.

RUSF18 said:
Be prepared for a ton of trash being talked about Clowney up until April...from anonymous sources of course.

Rotoworld:

One NFC scout told the Sporting News' Matt Hayes that "with every week that passes we see more and more red flags," with South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.
"He's getting some bad advice right now," another NFC scout said, "and it's going to hurt him in the long run." Hayes closes by saying "maybe he should have taken the season off after all." We struggle to judge Clowney's body language or competitiveness, there are numerous factors in play here. One, few people judging Clowney have actually met him. Two, he is injured, and the extent of the injury is unknown. Clowney is a rare talent on the field, and we suspect teams will regret passing on him. If any do.

Source: Sporting News
One NFL personnel executive would be "scared to death" to take South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney with a top-10 pick.
"The source, who asked not to be named, said Clowney was one of the best collegiate talents he'd ever seen," Yahoo Sports' Eric Adelson writes. "Yet he has 'major concerns' about consistency." We still think only a small portion of NFL evaluators have doubts about Clowney, but they certainly will do their homework on the rare talent. He is still impacting games at a high level despite a dip in production.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Right now, the best option for him is probably the Gmen. 0-5 with many injured players and no running game plus a very rich history of creating top DL the last 20 years, probably a chance to win etc.

Be prepared for a ton of trash being talked about Clowney up until April...from anonymous sources of course.
If these teams continue to lose, there's no way he gets past the Giants or Steelers. Two teams that often don't get a shot at a top defender but have to find diamonds in the rough. I don't think all the bad press in the world will cause him to slip past those two.

Users who are viewing this thread