What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaguars Future (1 Viewer)

matt jones

Footballguy
The defense is nice, maybe spend a high draft pick on a corner opposite mathis. Is Byron the man? I think so. WR's future looks good. Jimmy Smith still has some gas left in the tank, if only he wouldn' drop those easy passes now and then. Wilford has impressed me at times this season. Matt Jones has done an outstanding job for playing a new position at the next level. He's outperformed a number of 'real' WR's from his draft class--He's the real deal. I can't wait to see what an offseason of training does for him. I still think he is a season or two away from a pro-bowl calibur year. I'm not sure about Greg Jones, I'd rather the jags trade/draft a better back. Despite the ### kicking the patriots gave them, the future looks bright.

The defense is nice, maybe spend a high draft pick on a corner opposite mathis. Is Byron the man? I think so. WR's future looks good. Jimmy Smith still has some gas left in the tank, if only he wouldn' drop those easy passes now and then. Wilford has impressed me at times this season. Matt Jones has done an outstanding job for playing a new position at the next level. He's outperformed a number of 'real' WR's from his draft class--He's the real deal. I can't wait to see what an offseason of training does for him. I still think he is a season or two away from a pro-bowl calibur year. I'm not sure about Greg Jones, I'd rather the jags trade/draft a better back. Despite the ### kicking the patriots gave them, the future looks bright.
As a Jags fan myself I see just one problem this time of year. What is the more pressing hole that needs to be filled. Some say a #2 corner, others point to the lack of production from the TE spot and still others point to the Offensive line (especially the RT and the interior). However, James Shack Harris loves to throw a wrench in logical thinking as he goes for the BAP (Best Avalible Player) on the board- specificially the one with the most athletic ability- which makes selections hard to predict. I think, however, it's safe to say that our first pick will not be a CB. This year's draft has a very deep CB class with recent declarations, and the Jags will spend a late® pick and still will be able to get a talented player. Besides, it is very likely that Terry Cousin will be re-signed to play in nickle formations and Wright, despite the critisism hurled at him and his 6 torchings, has not been a terrible spot start. I do believe we replace him though.Our selection with the first pick, IMHO ultimately comes down to our selection order. Not knowing how we will be seeded, it will either be at #22 or #29. If we luck out at #22 (based on our Wild Card loss) we may still have a shot at least one of the Upper Tier TE's- Davis and/or Pope- both of whom fit Shack's model of a ideal pick. At #29, our pickings may be slim and may end up having to go with an OG- specifically Max Jean Giles, who would be a very smart pick at this point. However, dont be surprised if JSH surprises us all with a RB, especially if he is the BAP.

Our second round becomes even less lucid. If we took TE in the first round, I hope we look to the 2nd tier OT's or the remaining first tier OG's. However, I believe Shack goes with CB with the second pick regardless and looks for late round O-linemen as value picks. If TE was not selected with the first pick, I believe our selection of a TE comes in the third or fourth round- specifically Anthony Fasano from Notre Dame. However, dont be surprised if JSH sneaks in an RB in this round- specifically one Leon Washington, who is rumored to have impressed Shack enormously.

Sorry for the double post but this is another idea I had. I believe the Jags let go of Akin Ayodele, someone who is looked down upon in the orginization and has been a source of underproduction and inconsistancy. They did sign Jamie Winborn to effectively replace him and if he cannot make it out of his injury, then they may make a pass at FA OLB Will Witherspoon among others. The Jags love products from Carolina's defense (Deon Grant)

The defense is nice, maybe spend a high draft pick on a corner opposite mathis.  Is Byron the man?  I think so.  WR's future looks good.  Jimmy Smith still has some gas left in the tank, if only he wouldn' drop those easy passes now and then.  Wilford has impressed me at times this season.  Matt Jones has done an outstanding job for playing a new position at the next level.  He's outperformed a number of 'real' WR's from his draft class--He's the real deal.  I can't wait to see what an offseason of training does for him.  I still think he is a season or two away from a pro-bowl calibur year.  I'm not sure about Greg Jones, I'd rather the jags trade/draft a better back.  Despite the ### kicking the patriots gave them, the future looks bright.
As a Jags fan myself I see just one problem this time of year. What is the more pressing hole that needs to be filled. Some say a #2 corner, others point to the lack of production from the TE spot and still others point to the Offensive line (especially the RT and the interior). However, James Shack Harris loves to throw a wrench in logical thinking as he goes for the BAP (Best Avalible Player) on the board- specificially the one with the most athletic ability- which makes selections hard to predict. I think, however, it's safe to say that our first pick will not be a CB. This year's draft has a very deep CB class with recent declarations, and the Jags will spend a late® pick and still will be able to get a talented player. Besides, it is very likely that Terry Cousin will be re-signed to play in nickle formations and Wright, despite the critisism hurled at him and his 6 torchings, has not been a terrible spot start. I do believe we replace him though.Our selection with the first pick, IMHO ultimately comes down to our selection order. Not knowing how we will be seeded, it will either be at #22 or #29. If we luck out at #22 (based on our Wild Card loss) we may still have a shot at least one of the Upper Tier TE's- Davis and/or Pope- both of whom fit Shack's model of a ideal pick. At #29, our pickings may be slim and may end up having to go with an OG- specifically Max Jean Giles, who would be a very smart pick at this point. However, dont be surprised if JSH surprises us all with a RB, especially if he is the BAP.

Our second round becomes even less lucid. If we took TE in the first round, I hope we look to the 2nd tier OT's or the remaining first tier OG's. However, I believe Shack goes with CB with the second pick regardless and looks for late round O-linemen as value picks. If TE was not selected with the first pick, I believe our selection of a TE comes in the third or fourth round- specifically Anthony Fasano from Notre Dame. However, dont be surprised if JSH sneaks in an RB in this round- specifically one Leon Washington, who is rumored to have impressed Shack enormously.
Jags fan here. Being since I live in the midwest I didn't get to see the Jags that much unless they played in primetime. However, depending on what's available with their first round pick, I'm hoping one of the better OT's fall to them. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if they went OT with the first pick...actually I'd be relieved. Then maybe grab a # 2 CB in the second and RB or TE in the third. Speaking of TE's, what ever happened to that George Wrighster guy that seemed to be coming along nicely?

I've always enjoyed watching the Jaguars. They have a MAC QB and have built the defense the way I like to see it done - elite DTs first, then build from there, so this discussion is interesting to me.Let's look at the position / players.QB: Leftwich - a lock to stay for the foreseeable future. Injury risk is there, so a solid backup is needed. Garrard is the question here, just whether he stays or not. If he leaves, I'd consider this a minor need area. 3rd round pick or a solid vet.RB: Nice depth, even if Taylor is done, a nice RBBC approach, but no stud IMO. A fair need, but either a 1st or no need really unless a stud falls.WR: Smith is aging, but Jones/Wilford is a nice 1-2 for the future. If Reggie got his #### together, this would be a nice trio. What happened to Chad Owens? Might go after a burner type WR later in the draft.TE: Obvious weak spot, although Brady isn't horrible. Their biggest need of the skill positions, with plenty of talented TEs available - good way to go in the 1st or 2nd.OL: I don't know much about these guys. IIRC, Barnes looked pretty good, Manuwai is solid, but I know nothing about the rest except that 4 are young, Naele is older. DT: yeah, they're ok here. ;)DE: A need. Spicer looked strong but isn't the future, Hayward is good enough, but an area that can be addressed.LB: Peterson is a stud, if Akin leaves, a definite area of need.CB: need #1 or 2 IMOS: I like this group, if everyone stays.So they need CB, OLB, OT/OG. Sound right?

I've always enjoyed watching the Jaguars. They have a MAC QB and have built the defense the way I like to see it done - elite DTs first, then build from there, so this discussion is interesting to me.

Let's look at the position / players.

QB: Leftwich - a lock to stay for the foreseeable future. Injury risk is there, so a solid backup is needed. Garrard is the question here, just whether he stays or not. If he leaves, I'd consider this a minor need area. 3rd round pick or a solid vet.

RB: Nice depth, even if Taylor is done, a nice RBBC approach, but no stud IMO. A fair need, but either a 1st or no need really unless a stud falls.

WR: Smith is aging, but Jones/Wilford is a nice 1-2 for the future. If Reggie got his #### together, this would be a nice trio. What happened to Chad Owens? Might go after a burner type WR later in the draft.

TE: Obvious weak spot, although Brady isn't horrible. Their biggest need of the skill positions, with plenty of talented TEs available - good way to go in the 1st or 2nd.

OL: I don't know much about these guys. IIRC, Barnes looked pretty good, Manuwai is solid, but I know nothing about the rest except that 4 are young, Naele is older.

DT: yeah, they're ok here. ;)

DE: A need. Spicer looked strong but isn't the future, Hayward is good enough, but an area that can be addressed.

LB: Peterson is a stud, if Akin leaves, a definite area of need.

CB: need #1 or 2 IMO

S: I like this group, if everyone stays.

So they need CB, OLB, OT/OG. Sound right?
Spot on and contrary to belief DE may be a position that may warrant first round consideration. Shack Harris loves his BAP so if the potential targets for the Jags' are taken, I wont be surprised to see him reach for Dumervil. I'd also add in TE as a need and a side note that in fact, Manuwai seems to be the most likely to be on the hot seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a really good TE IMO. And to open up the offense alittle. Besides their attitude they are a solid team..

Good posting(s).From my observations the O-line was not good enough this year. I think Leftwich competed with Putzier for most appearances on Jacked Up. The running game would disappear when they needed it most. I thought the secondary looked very very good against New England. I guess Wright and Cousin aren't held in high regard, and I don't know how they played all year, but that was an impressive display last weekend. I would lower this as a priority. A better pass rush on the edge would be the final piece to the puzzle on defense, but the defense is already very good. Tight End is an obvious weakness. And the offense needs attention more than the defense. Running Back could be upgraded, but RBs can be found, and there's no telling how Taylor, Jones/Pearman would play given better blocking. So, I think OL, TE, DE are the priorities. If Jax takes the BAP at one of those positions and doesn't strategerize the draft beyond that, I think it will be a Tight End graded "best available". Davis will probably be gone, so it will be Pope or Lewis. It's a little amusing to see Lewis being disregarded these days. He has more potential than any of them. I would argue that all three of these spots could be addressed nicely in the first three rounds of this draft though. In order to do that the best pass rusher has to be taken first, the best OL second, and the best TE third. There should be a very capable Tight End sitting at the end of this third round. They could take a better one in the second, obviously, and an OL with very good potential will be out there, just no more sure things. My real point is the excellent pass rushers will be gone before Jax makes a second pick.eta-- fixed typo city...

This is interestingQB debate invades Jags locker roomBy MIKE FREEMAN, The Times-UnionA scene occurred late in the season -- a scene that until now few outside the Jaguars' locker room knew of and shows that the team's quarterback controversy is far-reaching and problematic. It happened after the Dec.24 game at Houston. David Garrard was on a roll, beating the Texans while again subbing for the injured Byron Leftwich. After that victory, a small group of influential veterans, from the offense and defense, began talking about the quarterback situation.The players stressed that they respect Leftwich. But this is business, some in the group agreed, and the Jaguars should stick with the hot hand for the final regular-season game and then the postseason. Others were more blunt: Garrard should start because he is the better quarterback. The feelings of some that Garrard should start became so strong that the group of leaders spoke of approaching Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio in a non-confrontational and respectful manner to air their thoughts. They wanted to tell him that a significant number of players desired Garrard to remain as the starter for the postseason.The idea eventually was nixed.The players didn't want Del Rio to think there was some sort of insurrection or challenge to his authority. So they reluctantly stayed quiet; some privately stewed.The story shows two things. Inside the Jaguars' locker room, the Leftwich-Garrard debate was more intense and talked about, for many weeks, than anyone outside the organization knew. Players apparently argued the merits of both men more than fans and media did.In fact, it's fair and accurate to state that media types like me have been wrong. The locker room isn't solidly behind Leftwich as I once believed. It appears to be partly divided into factions: a Leftwich group and a Garrard group, according to several players who asked not to be identified for fear of repercussions from the team.I remain a Leftwich guy. I still believe he is the best thrower for this team, but I'm increasingly being told by Jaguars players that I'm mistaken. But I have to trust my eyes. I see a tough, strong thrower who goes deep with more accuracy and would get back up if a truck hit him.How he quickly recovered from a broken bone in his foot is a testament to his toughness. He sat in a hyperbaric chamber for one hour per day, took calcium pills, used a bone-growth stimulator and had painful, eight-hour days of rehabilitation for weeks.However, Garrard has quickly earned the respect of his teammates and the media by remaining classy in public when he could have acted like a horse's rear. He made sure things didn't become messy.There is another force at work besides simple preference. Players expressed concern about Leftwich's dealings with teammates, saying he is sometimes too scolding, while Garrard is more of an encouraging player who seeks input from his teammates.At his Sunday news conference, Del Rio was right: This team has tremendous promise. But Del Rio will have a constant headache with this quarterback situation. He must deal with it in minicamp, training camp and throughout next season. If Leftwich loses a game, the calls for Garrard will come loudly and swiftly.Those calls might not come solely from impatient fans. It seems they aren't the only people with strong opinions on who should be the starting quarterback.The players also have stern stances.mike.freemanjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4377

Since ESPN reported that a group of starters, a big group...wanted Garrard to start and nearly protested the fact Leftwich was in, worries me. I think they have a great young core but hearing that puts a spin on some possible offseason issues.

Since ESPN reported that a group of starters, a big group...wanted Garrard to start and nearly protested the fact Leftwich was in, worries me. I think they have a great young core but hearing that puts a spin on some possible offseason issues.
:thumbup: Could force Jag's hand in a trade, good news for Garrard dynasty owners.

This was just for the game, right?Seems they just wanted the QB to have had played in the last month. I could be wrong, but I'm not reading more into it than that.

Garrard should be traded anyway, would he get close to what Rivers would?

The way out for the Jags is to trade Garrard for a good rb, assuming they don't think Jones is the answer. Teams that come to mind are Miami, Dallas (who have two good rb's), NO (if they take a rb in the first round), and the Ravens.

This was just for the game, right?Seems they just wanted the QB to have had played in the last month. I could be wrong, but I'm not reading more into it than that.

Garrard should be traded anyway, would he get close to what Rivers would?
Don't get me wrong. I love what Garrard brings to the table and would like to see him stick around. Byron IMHO is the undisputed leader of this team. No qualms to say it either. But I do believe a capable backup is crucial to a season, and we've witnessed this concept several times this season. However, football is ultimately a business- and Garrard's incredible (and inflated) value at this juncture all but spells his trade to another team in need. Besides, on various occasions, Shack Harris and JDR have sung their praises about 3rd stringer Quinn Gray, who actually does have much better accuracy and a stronger arm than Garrard. However he was raw comming into this season and within a few years would have taken the #2- is a film junkie, a community leader and ultimately a character that personifies a positive character. The Jags need to trade Garrard while his value is high and retain Quinn, who if groomed properly, will turn into an outstanding QB and will be cheap for years to come. Right now, I'd say Garrard fetches more value than Rivers becuase he personifies the mobile, short range passer that is a glove fit to a WCO offense. Seeing as though a few of the QB vacancies are in WCO offenses, his value becomes that of an immediate starter. The Jags would be foolish not to trade him. Besides, if all those dropped balls by defenders (2 by SF and 1 by TEN- all of which were certain INT's) were in fact not dropped, there would be no QB controversy.

The way out for the Jags is to trade Garrard for a good rb, assuming they don't think Jones is the answer. Teams that come to mind are Miami, Dallas (who have two good rb's), NO (if they take a rb in the first round), and the Ravens.
Since the Jags are in excellent standing in terms of their cap status, I see this as a definate possibility. Ricky, JLew and Chester Taylor are all rumored to be targets for the offseason. Ricky, Jimmy Smith and Reggie Williams on the same team sure have Jags' fans having 'high' hopes for next season. :thumbup:

I like Del Rio's attitude and the team has responded to him in a relatively short amount of time.The have a good nucleus of players on Defense; they have a reasonable stable of young WR's; including Reggie Williams who should be a contributor this coming year. I also think that Jones is doing a great job at WR considering it is his first year at the position and his first year in the NFL.Jacksonville was over-matched against New England from the start on both sides of the ball. Belichick and company showed up to play and Jacksonville did not.Part of this was the game plan associated with playing Leftwich. I do not think that he would have been in there if it were me. It took too many options away from the Jaguars, and made it easier to harass the QB. On top of the fact that Garrard was on a roll and running the Offense effectively.That being said, the Jaguar Defense really did nothing the whole game to stop Brady and Co. The score does not really show how lopsided things were ...

So, I think OL, TE, DE are the priorities. If Jax takes the BAP at one of those positions and doesn't strategerize the draft beyond that, I think it will be a Tight End graded "best available". Davis will probably be gone, so it will be Pope or Lewis. It's a little amusing to see Lewis being disregarded these days. He has more potential than any of them.

I would argue that all three of these spots could be addressed nicely in the first three rounds of this draft though. In order to do that the best pass rusher has to be taken first, the best OL second, and the best TE third. There should be a very capable Tight End sitting at the end of this third round. They could take a better one in the second, obviously, and an OL with very good potential will be out there, just no more sure things. My real point is the excellent pass rushers will be gone before Jax makes a second pick.

eta-- fixed typo city...
:goodposting: I agree completely and in fact, this order very plausible IMHO.

Round 1: Elvis Dumervil

Round 2: Davin Joseph/Lutui

Round 3: Anthony Fasano

Round 4: Andrew Whitworth/BA OT

However, I have to add that Dumervil becomes a reach with this reasoning and will almost certainly not be the BAP at #22 where the Jags pick. However, this hasty mock adresses all the key concerns for Jacksonville save an OT- which very well could be their Round 2 pick if the need trumps that of a OG. Anthony Fasano gives the Jags a very solid pick in the third that serves them well as an extra (and might I add quality) blocker on the weak side and a dynamic pass catcher all the same. In fact, I believe his entrance into the draft may very well dissuade Jacksonville from taking a first round TE. He also allows them the freedom to adress the OG position- which may end up paying huge dividends to their offense as a whole.

The Jaguars are in a position to make a strong showing in the free agent market and they have David Garrard and other players that could traded. So some of the holes they have could already be addressed by draft time.OFFENSE:QB: The front office and coaching staff are committed to Leftwich even if some of the players are not. I have a strong feeling that it's some of the long time star Jags that are the leaders of the anti-Leftwich group. This obviously could turn ugly this off season. But by camp I expect Leftwich to be there and anyone that continues to undermine him to be gone. Garrard almost has to be traded with the current climate of Jags fans. Quinn Gray should be ready to be QB2 and Nate Hybil is QB3 unless the Jags make a move, I'd expect them to make a move for another back up. RB: This is a very deep group. It's not just Taylor, Greg Jones and Pearman. Toefield showed that he can still play and Wimbush is a very talented guy that still needs some time after coming from a small school. I think -OZ- nailed it earlier in this thread. Either make a move for a big time back or leave it alone for now. Lee Webb is a pure fullback that I expect to play NFL Europe this summer and could develop. WR: The Jags WRs had a lot of drops this season, it wasn't just the NE game. But the WRs have also looked very good at times and all but Smith are very young. If Reggie Williams can keep out of trouble I don't see much changing here. Cortez Hankton is a guy that just keeps hanging around in Jacksonville and could make a splash if RW messes up. Chad Owens is likely going to NFL Europe as well. TE: Kyle Brady is heavy on the blocking and light on the pass catching. The Jags need to find a way to beat the colts who run cover 2 almost all the time. Some so called experts say a tight end running a seam route is the best way to beat cover 2. Kyle Brady just isn't gonna be that tight end and George Wrightster isn't getting enough chances to make me think the coaches think he can do it. Keep an eye on this position.OL: Since O-line doesn't directly effect fantasy I'll do all positons vaguely at once. Leftwich is not mobile and needs better protection to perform well and to stay injury free. Jack Del Rio wants to be able to play power football. The line needs help. At least one big people moving guard and a RT to take over for Mo Williams or to add depth. Max Jean-Gilles in the draft or Steve Hutchinson in free agency? DEFENSE:DT: Sign Rob Meier as he's been an able back up. Extend Big Jon Henderson's contract. Then it's all good.DE: Many seem to think this is a position of needs for the Jags, I disagree. Paul Spicer is not a star but he is solid and Bobby McCray is developing as a pass rush specialist. Sure they could pick up a project guy or a depth guy but there are more pressing needs. LB: Peterson is a star and was robbed by the lame Pro Bowl. Outside Smith continues to show flashes and is solid but needs to continue to improve. Akin is okay and a free agent and Jamie Winborn was brought in but got hurt and is not signed. Jorge Cordova has never been healthy in his two seasons. So there could be some action at linebacker this off season. S: It's all good if Darius comes back healthy. Sensabaugh had a good rookie year and appears to be the heir. Deke Cooper is a free agent they could let go or keep. CB: This is where the front office earns their money. Mathis is the guy. But Wright(RCB) and Cousins(nickleback) are both free agents who played well enough last season. None of the other back ups appear ready to step in at this point. Do you resign Wright and Cousins or make a move to bring in new talent? A day one draft pick could well be spent on a cornerback. -Overall the Jags have a deep roster that's decently talented and no major players looking at free agency. They also have a lot of cap room, some players to trade and all their draft picks. This could be a very active off season.

Leftwich = Immobile QB with a long windup. That's a bad combination.Garrard = Mobile QB with low percent completion. Also bad.The Jags need an NFL QB.They also need a coach.

Leftwich = Immobile QB with a long windup. That's a bad combination.

Garrard = Mobile QB with low percent completion. Also bad.

The Jags need an NFL QB.

They also need a coach.
Leftwich was a top 10 rated QB with a 3/1 TD/INT ratio. He was on pace to set a Jags single season TD record before the injury. He's shown marked improvement each season in almost every QB related stat. In the 6 games he played after Khalif Barnes was put in the line up adding much needs help at RT, he had 10 TDs and 2 INTs and a couple rushing TDs. Yes, he needs to continue to improve and work on some of the weaker elements of his game. But how can you give up on a kid when he's young, improving, and already a better than average NFL QB?

Users who are viewing this thread