What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jake Peavy Trade Watch (1 Viewer)

curta269

Footballguy
I saw an update on the rumor of Jake Peavy getting traded this offseason. ESPN reported that he gave the Padres a list of 5 teams he would accept a trade to:

Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Astros, and Braves

I'm really hoping the Cardinals land him. They have some salary room and prospects to trade. I would love to see him in their rotation, especially with them not being able to count on Carpenter.

I hope they do to. I went out there for a three game series against the Phils this year....and gosh darn it. I like that town. Open container laws, pig snoot, Maull's BBQ sauce, McGurk's, that Bayou bar right down from the stadium, Frenchie the beer guy out in left field, the Bud brewery tour. Even the Arch was alot more impressive than I thought it would be....and some of the nicest fans ever. You know how to tell the difference between a Cards fan and a Phils fan out there? The Cards fans were cheering for So Taguchi while the Phils fans were booing him.

I hope they do to. I went out there for a three game series against the Phils this year....and gosh darn it. I like that town. Open container laws, pig snoot, Maull's BBQ sauce, McGurk's, that Bayou bar right down from the stadium, Frenchie the beer guy out in left field, the Bud brewery tour. Even the Arch was alot more impressive than I thought it would be....and some of the nicest fans ever. You know how to tell the difference between a Cards fan and a Phils fan out there? The Cards fans were cheering for So Taguchi while the Phils fans were booing him.
The only thing I didn't like was that lame arsed Emo's pizza.

depodesta has given credence to the rumors on his blog, so I think Jake is as good as gone. :thumbup: :rolleyes: :bag:
I don't blame you for being upset. He is a great pitcher, one of my favortie to watch. I'm sure if he gets traded, the Padres will get some good prospects in return. Trading Peavy might be a good move in the long run for the Padres.

He'll lose fantasy value if he's traded away from Petco. Peavy's home splits ERA, WHIP and K/9 have been significantly better over a multi-year period. He's a good pitcher so he'll make some adjustments but he could be a good candidate to regress in 2009.

Eephus said:
He'll lose fantasy value if he's traded away from Petco. Peavy's home splits ERA, WHIP and K/9 have been significantly better over a multi-year period. He's a good pitcher so he'll make some adjustments but he could be a good candidate to regress in 2009.
Dodger Stadium at night is very much a pitcher's park too, so it depends on where he lands.As a Dodger fan, I'd love Peavy but I have to suspect that an in-division trade would command a premium.

I saw an update on the rumor of Jake Peavy getting traded this offseason. ESPN reported that he gave the Padres a list of 5 teams he would accept a trade to:Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Astros, and Braves
5, 4, 3, 1, 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like with all that great stuff, the guy doesn't have the balls to play in a tough (media) market. Have some balls, man.

Scared to death of the AL :banned:
The AL. Tough media markets. Places where its tough to play if you don't do well.Really is a wuss list. I lost respect for the guy here... let's look for a nice cushy 20 Mill a year market where they will love me no matter what.

Capella said:
Astros have nothing to offer. I think he goes to Atlanta.
Or the Dodgers. Those two would probably have the most to get him.
It really depends upon what/who else the Dodgers make a move for. They have potentially a pretty large shopping list when you take into account that Penny, Furcal, Manny, and a few other candidates for resigning are accounted for, and I don't get the impression that McCourt is flush with cash the way that Steinbrenner is, for example.

Peavy would give the Cards a potentially very solid Top 4 to go with Wainwright, Carpenter (if healthy), and Lohse.

Finless said:
Scared to death of the AL :goodposting:
Maybe he just really likes hitting? :popcorn: I thought had a similar conclusion to yours, because when I heard about the possibility of being traded, my second thought (after my first being, the Dodgers better not give up too much to get him) was it would be great to see him traded to the AL. After seeing his list, I have to wonder about it. If he'd be fine with the Cubs, why not the White Sox? If he's fine with the Astros, why not the Rangers? Why not the Angels if he wants to stay in SoCal?

Finless said:
Scared to death of the AL <_<
Maybe he just really likes hitting? :goodposting: I thought had a similar conclusion to yours, because when I heard about the possibility of being traded, my second thought (after my first being, the Dodgers better not give up too much to get him) was it would be great to see him traded to the AL. After seeing his list, I have to wonder about it. If he'd be fine with the Cubs, why not the White Sox? If he's fine with the Astros, why not the Rangers? Why not the Angels if he wants to stay in SoCal?
Because he's got no heart. He's pitched in one of the pitcher friendliest parks in the weakest NL division. Put him in the AL east or Central and he'd be ripped to shreds. I would love to hear his reasoning for choosing those teams.

Finless said:
Scared to death of the AL :popcorn:
Maybe he just really likes hitting? :confused: I thought had a similar conclusion to yours, because when I heard about the possibility of being traded, my second thought (after my first being, the Dodgers better not give up too much to get him) was it would be great to see him traded to the AL. After seeing his list, I have to wonder about it. If he'd be fine with the Cubs, why not the White Sox? If he's fine with the Astros, why not the Rangers? Why not the Angels if he wants to stay in SoCal?
Because he's got no heart. He's pitched in one of the pitcher friendliest parks in the weakest NL division. Put him in the AL east or Central and he'd be ripped to shreds. I would love to hear his reasoning for choosing those teams.
ripped to shreds? doubt it, but he obviously wouldnt be as productive....think a slightly better james shieldsy type of productivebut i agree, what a pansy list. prolly thinking he better dominate before he becomes a free agent. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Scared to death of the AL :towelwave:
Maybe he just really likes hitting? :towelwave: I thought had a similar conclusion to yours, because when I heard about the possibility of being traded, my second thought (after my first being, the Dodgers better not give up too much to get him) was it would be great to see him traded to the AL. After seeing his list, I have to wonder about it. If he'd be fine with the Cubs, why not the White Sox? If he's fine with the Astros, why not the Rangers? Why not the Angels if he wants to stay in SoCal?
Careful laddie. The Sawx are talking to him. I'd hate to see you have to change your opinion of him so soon.

Anyone thinking he may be injured and that's why the Pads are considering dealing him? He had that elbow problem and never really seemed like himself after returning. The guy's an elite pitcher who is signed at a bargain price, why would they even consider dealing him? unless there was more to this than leads to the eye...

Anyone thinking he may be injured and that's why the Pads are considering dealing him? He had that elbow problem and never really seemed like himself after returning. The guy's an elite pitcher who is signed at a bargain price, why would they even consider dealing him? unless there was more to this than leads to the eye...
I think that may be a possibility. He looked fine after coming back, but there's been a lot said about his "violent" delivery and the stress it puts on the arm. Another thing is perhaps Moores' divorce is prompting him to get some significant money off the books. Peavy's salary jumps to $11 million from $6.5 million in 2009 before the big extension kicks in after that. More than that, though, is I think trading him now will bring the most for the Padres, who don't look to be ready to contend in the West for next season (or beyond, perhaps). Their lineup is pretty meager, aside from Adrian Gonzalez, and their staff has a lot of question marks. Throw in the facts that there doesn't seem to be some serious immediate help coming from the minors and that the Dodgers, D-Backs, and Giants (and perhaps even the Rockies) have brighter outlooks for the next few seasons, the Padres would be foolish not to investigate what they could get in return for Peavy.

I think that may be a possibility. He looked fine after coming back, but there's been a lot said about his "violent" delivery and the stress it puts on the arm. Another thing is perhaps Moores' divorce is prompting him to get some significant money off the books. Peavy's salary jumps to $11 million from $6.5 million in 2009 before the big extension kicks in after that. More than that, though, is I think trading him now will bring the most for the Padres, who don't look to be ready to contend in the West for next season (or beyond, perhaps). Their lineup is pretty meager, aside from Adrian Gonzalez, and their staff has a lot of question marks. Throw in the facts that there doesn't seem to be some serious immediate help coming from the minors and that the Dodgers, D-Backs, and Giants (and perhaps even the Rockies) have brighter outlooks for the next few seasons, the Padres would be foolish not to investigate what they could get in return for Peavy.
Also, add in the haul that Oakland got for Haren last offseason, and if you're lookng at a long term rebuilding process trading an established ace is a smart play as starting pitching is too erractic long term. Gonzalez should continue to hit and possibly improve, but Peavy in 3 years is an absolute crapshoot.

Dodger Stadium at night is very much a pitcher's park too, so it depends on where he lands.As a Dodger fan, I'd love Peavy but I have to suspect that an in-division trade would command a premium.
As a dodgers fan I dont want that scum bag

I know the Cardinals are out of the running for Peavy. They already have a lot of money tied up with Carpenter, Wainwright, and Lohse. They don't want to spend any more money on the rotation.

As a dodgers fan I dont want that scum bag
Care to unpack that for us?

ok, if Towers moves Peavy for the dogshat that is being rumored, I'm not attending or watching a game in 2009.

GORKY ####### HERNANDEZ as the centerpiece? Please tell me I'm in a bizarro world.

ok, if Towers moves Peavy for the dogshat that is being rumored, I'm not attending or watching a game in 2009.GORKY ####### HERNANDEZ as the centerpiece? Please tell me I'm in a bizarro world.
GORKYMANIA WILL RUN WILD IN SAN DIEGO!!!11!!!1juanoneuno

signonsandiego.com

Cubs and Peavy

Towers on the Jake Peavy trade talks: “It's really come down to one club now – the Cubs,” he said. “It's going to take awhile. They have a couple of players to pick from that we are interested in but anything with them is going to potentially involve a third team or fourth team. We're focusing only on them.”

Towers said his conversations with the Yankees “were not substantial” and that he told Yankees GM Brian Cashman “until I get the go-ahead from Jake, I'm not going to” explore trade options with Cashman.

Why would anyone want to pitch for the Cubs or Braves at this point? It's like asking for a guaranteed arm blowout.

Users who are viewing this thread