What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jalen Carter - Not as good as Kobie Turner but better than Kobe Bryant at talking trash (2 Viewers)

This occured January 15? How did no one know this until now?
McShay has been vaguely hinting at major off field concerns for a while now. I wonder if there needed to be an actual arrest before he could actually say anything for sure.

unfortunately, I doubt this affects his draft stock. Maybe with some teams, but he will still be a lock for a top-five pick. If not, some team is going to get an absolute bargain.
As a Bears fan, I want nothing to do with him. Rather take Anderson, Witherspoon, or trade down further.

unfortunately, I doubt this affects his draft stock. Maybe with some teams, but he will still be a lock for a top-five pick. If not, some team is going to get an absolute bargain.
You really think? This sounds almost as bad as Henry Ruggs, at least in the same ballpark.

Its not as bad as Ruggs, but it shouldn't have to be. Just absolutely idiotic behavior, and enough that I'd probably take him off my draft board, or if not remove, then just keep trading down until he's gone.

Don't think this is really anything similar to Ruggs and for sure not legally.

My guess is a minor dip in his stock, like maybe 1-2 spots.
I’m struggling to understand how they can charge a passenger with “racing” (I believe it’s actually “speed contest”)
He wasn't a passenger. He was driving a different car than the one that crashed. They were racing and going 104 MPH against traffic. The other driver was very drunk (.197) and Carter fled the scene after the accident.

this paints a very different picture of the day in question. maybe give it a few days for the facts to come out. shocked this is just now coming out as someone else mentioned.

University of Georgia staffer Chandler LeCroy’s blood alcohol level was .197 -- twice the legal limit -- and she was traveling 104 mph just before the fatal Jan. 15 crash that led to her death and the death of offensive lineman Devin Willock, police announced Wednesday.
In a Wednesday release, the Athens-Clarke County police department said UGA football star Jalen Carter and LeCroy were racing before the fatal crash. Police investigators found “alcohol impairment, racing, reckless driving and speed” contributed to the crash, the release said. LeCroy, 24, was driving a 2021 Ford Expedition rented by the university athletics association for the weekend’s national championship celebration, according to Athens police.
LeCroy’s family could not immediately be reached for comment.

https://www.ajc.com/news/investigat...efore-fatal-crash/UX2ULXH5C5E7DM32USJFEQOLWU/

edit: i thought this one i linked said Carter was also drunk, but i implied it myself, so maybe just more of the same info here.

Just another piece of garbage that chose to risk everyone on the road for his own personal pleasure, and then just leaves the scene.

I’m struggling to understand how they can charge a passenger with “racing” (I believe it’s actually “speed contest”)
I don't know but legally speaking all I've heard is misdemeanor charges.

With respect to his future I'd classify his legal issues as minor, the main negative being the bad look this caused him.

It's a tragic incident but I don't see that he's to blame for the accident. He freaked out after the fact, likely because he was drunk.

Again I think any drop he has is minor. It sounds really cold because lives were lost but I don't think this will hurt him remotely like Tunsil. With Tunsil that video dropped the day of the draft so teams were caught by surprise and not able to investigate the situation or discuss it with Tunsil. And again this sounds harsh but NFL teams were probably more concerned with Tunsil's behavior as he was participating in something can get him suspended if he continued to do it in the league.

Bad look for Carter, some minor legal issues, maybe if a team had him and Anderson even they go Anderson, but all in all not expecting much to come out of this negatively for him in terms of his draft stock.

HSG- slow down. Actually, read the information. You are commenting and have no actual idea what transpired. It isn't helpful.

from another AJC article

UGA star Jalen Carter present at scene of fatal crash

By Alan Judd - The Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionDylan Jackson - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 1 hour ago

Player’s shifting accounts alter police narrative of single-car wreck

At first, Jalen Carter told the police he was nearly a mile away when a University of Georgia teammate and a football staff member died in a car crash.

Later, Carter said he had been following the car when it wrecked, close enough to see its taillights.

And, at one point, he acknowledged he was alongside the other car, whose speedometer stuck on impact at 83 mph — double the speed limit.

Carter, a defensive star for Georgia who is projected as a top pick in this year’s NFL draft, left the crash scene, apparently before the police or emergency medical workers arrived. When he returned an hour and a half later, he gave shifting accounts of the wreck as an Athens police officer questioned him about whether he had been racing the car that crashed, according to documents reviewed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Carter denied he was racing before the Jan. 15 crash, which killed recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy, 24, and offensive lineman Devin Willock, 20. Another recruiting staff member, Tory Bowles, 26, and offensive lineman Warren McClendon, 21, were injured.

Carter’s presence at the moment of the crash, previously unreported, alters the narrative that Athens police officials offered publicly from the beginning. It was, officials said, simply a single-car accident, caused by LeCroy’s driving too fast.

But the police had reason to suspect almost from the moment of the crash that other cars had been at the scene, and they soon learned at least two of those vehicles were driven by Georgia football players. Seeking evidence of possible racing, officers have obtained surveillance video from city-owned cameras along the route the players took out of downtown Athens. They also obtained footage from at least one business owner. The police have declined to release these videos, saying they are evidence in an open case.

A police spokesman did not respond to requests for comment on Monday or Tuesday.

Whether Carter, 21, faces legal jeopardy is not clear. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said late Tuesday that authorities have not contacted Carter about potential charges. “I’m not in a position (to comment) until we hear from someone in an official capacity,” Rosenhaus said.

Carter’s possible connection in the crash comes to light as NFL teams assess potential picks ahead of the April draft. Carter is attending the NFL’s annual scouting combine this week in Indianapolis, where he will undergo a physical examination and sit for interviews with team officials. The combine could determine how high he is chosen in the draft’s first round as well as the value of his rookie contract.

As the best defensive player on the best team in college football for the past two years, Carter already has benefitted from name, image and likeness deals. He has endorsed an Ohio luxury car dealer, appearing in a video in which he roars away in a 2021 black Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk. With a 707-horsepower engine known as a Hellcat V-8, the vehicle has a top speed of 180 mph and can accelerate from zero to 60 in about three seconds. Used models retail around $100,000.

Carter drove the same model the night of the fatal crash, as well as on a Thursday evening last fall, when the Athens police ticketed him for driving 89 in a 45 mph zone. A judge fined him $1,013 for the Sept. 22 speeding ticket.

The crash occurred on Athens’ Barnett Shoals Road at 2:45 a.m. Jan. 15, following a long day and night of celebrating the football team’s second consecutive national championship.

Several players, including Carter, capped the evening at Toppers International Showbar, a strip club in downtown Athens, accompanied by members of the football team’s recruiting staff. The group left the club about 2:30 a.m., surveillance video obtained by the Journal-Constitution shows, many of them planning to meet at a Waffle House about three miles away.

The surveillance footage shows three cars leaving the downtown nightlife district about the same time. One was a 2021 Ford Expedition, rented by the university and driven by LeCroy. University officials have said LeCroy was not authorized to drive the Expedition at the time of the crash. Neither the university nor its athletic department have responded to questions about protocols for using the SUVs that it rents to transport prospective football recruits during their official visits to the Georgia campus.

Another car appeared to be linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnson’s 2019 Dodge Charger. Dumas-Johnson was charged last week with street racing and reckless driving in an unrelated incident that occurred five days before the fatal crash. The police also questioned him at the Jan. 15 crash scene, records show.

And the third vehicle matched the description of Carter’s black Cherokee Trackhawk. The surveillance footage shows the car stopped at an intersection near the strip club, immediately in front of the Expedition. When the light turned green, the Jeep rapidly accelerated, turning the heads of nearby pedestrians. LeCroy, driving the Expedition, passed one car on the left and another on the right to catch up before the next stoplight.

About a mile from the Waffle House, the Expedition’s right front tire struck a curb, and the car flew off the roadway. It sheared two utility poles and slammed into at least two trees before crashing into an apartment building. Willock, who was not wearing a seatbelt, flew out of the car from the driver’s side second-row seat. He was pronounced dead at the scene. LeCroy was unresponsive and had no pulse when emergency crews arrived. She was pronounced dead at an Athens hospital.

Calls to Athens-Clarke County’s 911 system reflected the chaos that followed the crash. In the background of one call, what seems to be McClendon’s voice can be heard repeatedly calling out the names of the other occupants of the Expedition. Then he yells to apparent acquaintances who were standing near the wreckage. Another voice, louder and angry-sounding, asks, “What ... y’all driving that fast for?”

A siren can be heard as the first emergency vehicle reaches the scene, about six minutes after the crash.

Players questioned

One minute after the crash, a caller to 911 reported that another car was at the scene — “some large SUV down there, and there’s one guy out there looking.”

“The SUV is over in the ditch, too?” the operator asked.

“Nah, nah,” the caller answered, “that one is in the middle of the road.”

This and other calls suggest the police knew the crash was more complicated than a single-car wreck. Less than 10 minutes after the first officers arrived, one asked a dispatcher to check a police database for information on Dumas-Johnson’s Dodge Charger. Officers also checked for alerts on Dumas-Johnson himself, as well as for his apparent passenger, linebacker Smael Mondon.

Several football players gathered at the scene, but they initially declined to tell the police how they had learned of the crash, according to the documents the Journal-Constitution reviewed. Finally, at least one said they heard about it from a teammate: Jalen Carter.

Also on the scene was Bryant Gantt, the football team’s director of player support and operations. The Journal-Constitution reported in February that Gantt often intervenes when players run afoul of the law.

On this night, an Athens police officer asked Gantt to have Carter return to the scene. He arrived about 4:15 a.m., an hour and a half after the crash.

In a videotaped interview, Carter gave the officer an inconsistent account of what he knew about the crash, the documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution show. Carter first said he heard the wreck from an apartment complex nearly a mile away. Later, he said he witnessed it from a shorter distance, telling the officer both that he had been behind and beside the car that crashed.

Carter denied racing and said he had not been driving fast. But he told the officer that occupants of the car that crashed were intoxicated, the documents say. Carter said he had seen the group downtown. The officer saw no sign that Carter had been drinking, however, the records say.

LeCroy was tested for alcohol. Sonny Wilson, the Athens-Clarke County coroner, declined on Tuesday to release toxicology test results until the investigation is finished.

An officer who examined Carter’s car found scuff marks on its roof that appeared to come from the power lines that fell when the Expedition ran off the road. The officer concluded the marks indicated Carter was driving much closer to the Expedition than he initially claimed, the documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution say.

It is not clear whether the police questioned Carter about why he left the scene or where he went.

When Carter was stopped for speeding last September, an Athens police officer asked him few questions, police body-camera footage shows. But the officer, who criticized Carter for being “reckless,” said he had also recently ticketed other Georgia football players for speeding.

“When you’re around your teammates,” the officer told Carter, “just tell them to slow down.”

Doesn’t appear he drove the vehicle that crashed but was racing and is being charged with misdemeanors. He fled the scene but returned two hours later, and admitted to being involved during questioning. Police Officer noted he did not appear to have been drinking at that point (probably never know for sure.)

Sounds like a scared kid who made a terrible decision and then panicked. He did return to the scene and cooperated with authorities. He’s currently cooperating to turn himself in and face the consequences. We’ll see how much more comes out beyond these initial details.

Edit: haven’t read the longer story just posted yet

I don't know but legally speaking all I've heard is misdemeanor charges.

With respect to his future I'd classify his legal issues as minor, the main negative being the bad look this caused him.

It's a tragic incident but I don't see that he's to blame for the accident. He freaked out after the fact, likely because he was drunk.

Again I think any drop he has is minor. It sounds really cold because lives were lost but I don't think this will hurt him remotely like Tunsil. With Tunsil that video dropped the day of the draft so teams were caught by surprise and not able to investigate the situation or discuss it with Tunsil. And again this sounds harsh but NFL teams were probably more concerned with Tunsil's behavior as he was participating in something can get him suspended if he continued to do it in the league.

Bad look for Carter, some minor legal issues, maybe if a team had him and Anderson even they go Anderson, but all in all not expecting much to come out of this negatively for him in terms of his draft stock.
I think he'll likely fall a little. Maybe to Seattle or Vegas. I would think he's completely off Arizona's radar, and probably Houston's (likely a QB anyway) as well. I won't speak for Indy or Detroit.

I do wonder if it makes the Bears more likely to stay at #1 and take Anderson. Or, more likely to move down further than #4, if they do trade down.

To add, Carter has reportedly left the combine.
What were his options with an arrest warrant?
Some media fool calls in and tells the cops "We got your guy right here"
:lol:

He's still going Top 5
I was just updating the news. Wasn't making a case for/against anything.

I do think top-5 is questionable though.

ETA: I do like the idea of one of the NFL Network guys calling in a hot tip on air, like you just here muffled whispering about a potential reward while some LB is doing a 3-cone.

From what I've gathered even after the story broke he did remain at the combine until his medicals were done and then left. Which at least comes across a lot better then news breaks and he's just running scared and getting the hell out of dodge.

From what I've gathered even after the story broke he did remain at the combine until his medicals were done and then left. Which at least comes across a lot better then news breaks and he's just running scared and getting the hell out of dodge.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply he was on the lamb or anything.
My first thought when I saw your post was it went down like this: Jalen Carter being asked involvement in tragic accident

It's a pretty good bet that his agent told him to get out of Indy before meeting with any teams. He'll need to be coached on what to say.

It's a pretty good bet that his agent told him to get out of Indy before meeting with any teams. He'll need to be coached on what to say.

He's been doing team interviews the last two days

Was scheduled to speak to the media at 10:30 today but obviously that was canceled

Just got caught up on this story. I think it hurts him substantially.

Racing someone over 100mph with a BAC of .197, leaving the scene of an accident (potentially), and giving multiple stories to the police.

Carter claims the facts in the police report aren't accurate, but sounds like there is video evidence of him racing in his vehicle with the other one.

I think a lot will boil down to what his charges end up being and how forthcoming he was with information to the teams he has already talked to.

Racing someone over 100mph with a BAC of .197, leaving the scene of an accident (potentially), and giving multiple stories to the police.

Carter claims the facts in the police report aren't accurate, but sounds like there is video evidence of him racing in his vehicle with the other one.

I think a lot will boil down to what his charges end up being and how forthcoming he was with information to the teams he has already talked to.
Yep.
For the sake of argument, let’s assume he didn’t know LeCroy was drunk. They’re “just young guys having fun and being stupid”. Dude still fled the scene apparently trying to get away with it instead of doing the right thing at that time.
As many of us tell our kids - your behavior after messing up is a true sign of your character. Do you lie about it? Do you accept responsibility and do better? I have no idea if Carter learned these lessons earlier in life, so maybe he’ll mature and the truth about what happened isn’t as bad or worse than we think.
Other players have screwed up badly and recovered. So I don’t think this hurts him that bad, likely still top 10 and has a successful career. But I’m glad my favorite team isn’t in position to draft him.

This occured January 15? How did no one know this until now?
Todd McShay did, and he alluded to it, and got hammered on Twitter.

I don't see how this hurts Carter. Charged with two misdemeanors, reckless driving and racing.

No one's going to pass on a blue chip DT over this. There might be some PR gymnastics, but if we were to make a list of people in the NFL with bad things one their resume, we would be here a while.

They were racing, the other driver lost control, and they died, is that right? Whatever Carter might get charged with seems minor.

Last edited:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Georgia DT Jalen Carter was booked at 11:33 p.m. ET on Wednesday night and released at 11:49 p.m. after posting bond, according to online records.
------------
Wonder if he'll get credit for the 16 minutes he served if he gets sentenced.

We've all seen "character" concerns get overblown (e.g. Laremy Tunsil), but this is one of those times when I would have a really hard time selecting someone like this toward the top of the draft if I were a GM. Youthful mistakes are fine, but something like this shows a lack of judgement that makes me seriously question how long this person will last in professional sports. I think I'd be inclined to let some other team find out the answer to that question.

We've all seen "character" concerns get overblown (e.g. Laremy Tunsil), but this is one of those times when I would have a really hard time selecting someone like this toward the top of the draft if I were a GM. Youthful mistakes are fine, but something like this shows a lack of judgement that makes me seriously question how long this person will last in professional sports. I think I'd be inclined to let some other team find out the answer to that question.
Yeah for real. Getting some Aldon Smith vibes...

With all that said, he's only being charged with reckless driving.

This also falls into the "Mistakes you make in a job interview will hurt you far more than the same mistakes when you're already working there" category. Teams have to decide whether to make this guy one of the faces of their franchise. Much easier to find someone who's equally talented and doesn't have huge red flags.

That said, if he's as good a prospect as the scouts say he is, some team will take a chance on him and give us lots of happy talk about how they performed their "due diligence", which probably consisted of asking him if he promised to be good going forward.

Yeah if it's true that he is not the one who wrecked, that is much better than what I envisioned, for his status going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread