What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (2 Viewers)

I could see 270 carries for 1500 plus yards and 70 catches for 700 yards and 15 total tds 10 rushing 5 rec..... I see Huge top 5 upside for JC who is amazing on a per run basis career best all time 5.7
:lol:
Not sure what's all that funny about this it's a completely legit line to put Charles at... he's a far more talented back than McCoy who put up 273 carries, 1309 yards for 17 TDs with another 48 receptions 315 yards and 3 TDs in 2011. To say that Charles puts up another 200 rushing yards on top of McCoy isn't crazy.

Charles has a career average of 5.8ypc which at 270 carries would line him up for 1566 rushing yards.

Charles also has a 8.4ypc through the air which at 70 receptions would put him at 588 receiving yards.

So just assume he hits those carries and receptions that 2154 total yards and you would have to assume at least 12+ TDs on what should be a Top 10-15 offense this year.

We know the receptions and rushing attempts aren't that crazy as it's what an Andy Reid type of lead back usually gets. Around 250-275 carries and from 50-70 receptions. So to say Charles who is arguably a top 2 or 3 talent at his position puts up these stats isn't crazy. If anything it's about what you should be expecting coming out of this season. Not his floor, not his ceiling but his solid season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles confirmed the Chiefs are going to run some pistol offense this season.
Charles continues to rave about the way he'll be used under new coach Andy Reid. The Chiefs used the pistol back in 2008 under Chan Gailey, and backs such as Frank Gore and C.J. Spiller have had plenty of recent success in it. As the focal point of the entire offensive game plan, Charles is a real threat for 350 touches. He has scary upside in PPR formats.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles confirmed the Chiefs are going to run some pistol offense this season.
Charles continues to rave about the way he'll be used under new coach Andy Reid. The Chiefs used the pistol back in 2008 under Chan Gailey, and backs such as Frank Gore and C.J. Spiller have had plenty of recent success in it. As the focal point of the entire offensive game plan, Charles is a real threat for 350 touches. He has scary upside in PPR formats.

Source: NFL.com
Man, I hope that JC can stay healthy. If so, he could be a fantasy monster this year.

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles has been a "favorite target" for Alex Smith in the passing game so far at Chiefs camp.
Under new coach Andy Reid, the Chiefs continue to almost exclusively practice passing plays. Charles has been catching screens, check-downs and even lining up as a wide receiver at times. "He's capable of doing the same things (Brian) Westbrook did (and) (LeSean) McCoy did, as far as the passing game," Reid said. "He's a legitimate threat with his speed, his route-running ability and his hands. He catches the ball very easily." McCoy averaged 4.2 catches per game as the Eagles' starter and Westbrook was at 5.1 receptions a day. With the risk-averse Smith at the controls, Charles is a legit threat for 60-70 catches.

Source: Associated Press

With Foster's health a little bit of a question mark, Charles is now my #2 RB in PPR. I've got 2 "main" leagues -- picking 1 in one, and 2 in the other. Gonna stick with AP at the 1, but very happy to take Charles with the 2.

Rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star projects Jamaal Charles' carries to drop, but his catches to rise in Andy Reid's pass-dominated offense.
The Star goes so far as to project Charles at "not ... much more than 1,000 yards" rushing, but anticipates his receptions to "more than double" off last year's 35. Charles is splitting out wide in training camp, as well as catching screens, flat-route passes, and checkdowns. The projection would be good news for Charles' PPR value, but could lead to some weekly standard-league hiccups.

Source: Kansas City Star

Early I know, but I like his playoff schedule: redskins, raiders, colts chargers. I'm target Charles with my 5th overall pick. I enjoyed the times I had a prime Westbrook. Hoping for those kinda of performances from JC under Andy Reid.

The KC Star is on drugs. Charles had over 1,500 rushing yards last year despite having games of 3, 4 and 10 rushing yards, but he is gonna get not much more than 1,000 yards this year? LOL, okay.

Reid's offense works with McNabb and Vick, but with Alex Smith, not so much.. :shrug:

going to be hard for JC to get carries when Smith keeps tossing INTs..let's not fool ourselves here, Smith is horrible.

SF hid his deficiencies quite well..

Love JC's talents, just have a hard time believing in Reid's offense being run thru Alex (*cough*) Smith..

Reid's offense works with McNabb and Vick, but with Alex Smith, not so much.. :shrug:

going to be hard for JC to get carries when Smith keeps tossing INTs..let's not fool ourselves here, Smith is horrible.

Love JC's talents, just have a hard time believing in Reid's offense being run thru Alex (*cough*) Smith..
Reid has made every QB he's worked with play to their fullest potential. If SF hid Alex Smith's deficiencies, Andy Reid will too.

That's an interesting take, because I seem to remember constantly getting good/great games out of marginal back ups. I would think Reid's offense would be considered a positive for Smith, as Andy seems to do a good job tailoring his offense to his QB. Just going back 5 years, he's gotten 300+ yard games out of N.Foles, V.Young, K.Kolb, and A.J.Feeley. Obviously, 300 yards isn't a firm indicator of a good game from a QB, but it certainly shows he can make the ball move with just about anyone at QB.

I'm honestly intrigued by Alex Smith being paired up with Reid, I hardly think Smith running the Reid offense will be the reason Charles doesn't have an outstanding season.

The only thing I think will have a negative impact on Charles this year is Reid's tendency to completely abandon the run on occasion. I've owned McCoy in a keeper league since his rookie season, and it seems like a couple times a year Reid has games where he tosses the run section of his playbook into the trash and just slings it all over the field. Even with that though, his RB's tend to catch enough passes to make up for it.

I'm looking hard at Charles at the 3 spot in a 12 team ppr where I expect AD and Martin to go 1/2. I'm expecting in the neighborhood of 240/1300/8 & 65/550/4.

Reid is strange with the running game in that he'll ignore it for most of the game, but then pick a drive or two to give the RB the ball over and over, and by the time the game ends, his featured back got 19 carries, with 9-10 of them coming on that one drive.

Reid is strange with the running game in that he'll ignore it for most of the game, but then pick a drive or two to give the RB the ball over and over, and by the time the game ends, his featured back got 19 carries, with 9-10 of them coming on that one drive.
Reid is strange in that just as the running game is effective, he'll abandon it. Even if the opponent's weakness is run D, he'll continue to pass because that's what Reid does - passes the ball.

Reid is strange in that just as the running game is effective, he'll abandon it. Even if the opponent's weakness is run D, he'll continue to pass because that's what Reid does - passes the ball.
The last time Reid had a stud RB for a full season (McCoy played in 15 of 16 games in 2011), McCoy had 273 rushing attempts, which was 7th most in the NFL that season. And when you count catches, he had 321 touches. If Charles gets even close to that, he will pile up serious yardage and be a top 5 RB easily (and possibly number 1 if he can get double digit scores).

The last time Reid had a stud RB for a full season (McCoy played in 15 of 16 games in 2011), McCoy had 273 rushing attempts, which was 7th most in the NFL that season. And when you count catches, he had 321 touches. If Charles gets even close to that, he will pile up serious yardage and be a top 5 RB easily (and possibly number 1 if he can get double digit scores).
Andy Reid can be very frustrating with his play calling and his propensity to pass. Just like you said, he'll ignore the run for long stretches. Especially at the goal line. The stats may look good at the end of the season, but watching his play calling week in and week out he'll frustrate the hell out you.

Andy Reid can be very frustrating with his play calling and his propensity to pass. Just like you said, he'll ignore the run for long stretches. Especially at the goal line. The stats may look good at the end of the season, but watching his play calling week in and week out he'll frustrate the hell out you.
That's fine, but the bottom line is results, and when Andy Reid has had a RB anyone would call a stud, he has gotten the ball a lot and produced like crazy. That really cannot be disputed.

Ghost Rider said:
Amused to Death said:
Ghost Rider said:
Amused to Death said:
Ghost Rider said:
That's fine, but the bottom line is results, and when Andy Reid has had a RB anyone would call a stud, he has gotten the ball a lot and produced like crazy. That really cannot be disputed.
Really not disputing it. I'm expanding on what you initially said. He's frustrating in his tendency to abandon the run. JC should have a great year.

It really all depends on whether or not Reid has learned from past mistakes. As amazing as Westbrook and McCoy were at times during their careers, reid would inexplicably forget that they existed. I think Charles owners are ok to have optimism on the potential but be aware that Andy has a career 70-30 pass to run ratio. When things don't go his way, he leans heavy on the pass. Don't be surprised to see some games where Smith has over 50 attempts by the end.

So I would say cautious optimism is the way to go here. I'd still draft him top 5 because the other backs have just as much risk.

McNabb had five games with 50+ passing attempts in 11 seasons with the Eagles; Vick has done it once since joining the Eagles in 2009. So yeah, I can see why some would expect Alex Smith to have multiple games with 50+ passing attempts.

McNabb had five games with 50+ passing attempts in 11 seasons with the Eagles; Vick has done it once since joining the Eagles in 2009. So yeah, I can see why some would expect Alex Smith to have multiple games with 50+ passing attempts.
Add in the called pass plays that ended up as runs ans you would get a lot clearer picture. But I'm not going to argue semantics. The point is he will pass way more than he runs. Charles owners should be prepared for that.

I don't think that will surprise anyone. But 250 rushes and 50 catches should still be seen as Charles' floor. In other words, we are looking at probably 1,800 combined yards and 50 catches as his floor. Sounds like a PPR monster to me.

I don't think that will surprise anyone. But 250 rushes and 50 catches should still be seen as Charles' floor. In other words, we are looking at probably 1,800 combined yards and 50 catches as his floor. Sounds like a PPR monster to me.
Who said it wasn't GR? You brought up the fact that Andy abandon's the run at times. I think people are agreeing with you.

Right, but my point was that his RBs still get their carries and touches despite that. The argument from others, and I could be wrong ;) , seems to be that Reid's tendency to pass too much will prevent Charles from being highly productive, but I don't see it that way. Shoot, even though Alex Smith is not that great, if Charles could run for 1,500 yards with Matt Cassel as his QB, it is scary to think what he could do with a passing game that the other team isn't laughing at all day.

Right, but my point was that his RBs still get their carries and touches despite that. The argument from others, and I could be wrong ;) , seems to be that Reid's tendency to pass too much will prevent Charles from being highly productive, but I don't see it that way. Shoot, even though Alex Smith is not that great, if Charles could run for 1,500 yards with Matt Cassel as his QB, it is scary to think what he could do with a passing game that the other team isn't laughing at all day.
I'm not so sure you can expect anywhere near 1500 yards rushing.

2012 - McCoy 894 yards 200 carries

2011 - McCoy 1309 yards 273 carries

2010 - McCoy 1080 yards 207 carries

2009 - McCoy 637 yards 155 carries

2008 - Westbrook 936 yards 233 carries

2007 - Westbrook 1333 yards 278 carries

2006 - Westbrook 1217 yards 240 carries

2005 - Westbrook 617 yards 156 carries

2004 - Westbrook 812 yards 177 carries

2003 - Westbrook 613 yards 117 carries

2002 - Staley 1029 yards 269 carries

2001 - Staley 604 yards 166 carries

2000 - Staley 344 yards 79 carries (McNabb 629 yards 86 carries)

1999 - Staley 1273 yards 325 carries

So Andy's offense has produced six 1000 yard rushers in 14 seasons. The highest peak any of them reached was 1300 rushing yards. Now the receiving yards were monsters those years and I expect Charles to see a significant increase in catches but if Andy's tendencies stay the same, don't expect anything more than 1100 rushing 500 receiving from Charles as his ceiling, not his floor. Pretty good numbers but none to go crazy about the guy being as good as AP.

Because Duce Staley should be mentioned in the same breath as Jamaal Charles?

Westbrook was really good, but kind of small to be a traditional lead back. But he got 230+ carries three times, and if Charles and his 5.8 YPC self gets those number of carries, we are looking at a minimum of 1,300 rushing yards.

McCoy had 1,309 two years ago, and McCoy and Bryce Brown combined for over 1,400 rushing yards last year on a 4-12 team in disarray, but 1,500 yards is out of the question? No way. If freaking Duce Staley can put up 1,200 yards one season in an Andy Reid offense, what can Charles do?

If you think that 1,100 rushing yards is his ceiling, can you please play in the same leagues as me? ;)

I stand by my prediction: if Charles plays a full 16 games, 1,800 combined yards and 50 catches is his floor.

Because Duce Staley should be mentioned in the same breath as Jamaal Charles?

Westbrook was really good, but kind of small to be a traditional lead back. But he got 230+ carries three times, and if Charles and his 5.8 YPC self gets those number of carries, we are looking at a minimum of 1,300 rushing yards.

McCoy had 1,309 two years ago, and McCoy and Bryce Brown combined for over 1,400 rushing yards last year on a 4-12 team in disarray, but 1,500 yards is out of the question? No way. If freaking Duce Staley can put up 1,200 yards one season in an Andy Reid offense, what can Charles do?

If you think that 1,100 rushing yards is his ceiling, can you please play in the same leagues as me? ;)

I stand by my prediction: if Charles plays a full 16 games, 1,800 combined yards and 50 catches is his floor.
Guess we'll see. But you do know that part of the reason Charles had a 5.8 ypc was because he didn't carry it so much. If he gets more, he's also going to have more 1 to 2 yard stuffs and minus carries. So don't expect 5.8 to maintain. I'm not saying Charles doesn't have the potential for a top 10 back. I'm saying that with the way Andy plays from game to game, owners may be pulling their hair out at his usage.

I think it is more than reasonable to think Charles' YPC will still be in the low 5s, like last year, so if he gets 250 carries at 5.2 YPC, that is 1,300 rushing yards, and another 20-30 carries could easily net him close to 1,500; KC doesn't exactly have a tough schedule this year, so I don't see them being in a lot of blowouts where they have to abandon the run and throw, throw, throw the whole 4th quarter.

And we are still assuming Charles doesn't score a lot. But what if he does? McCoy scored 20 times two years ago, so a Reid stud RB scoring a lot is not unheard of. No, I do not think Charles will score 20 times, but would anyone be surprised if he scored 10-12 times? I sure wouldn't. He has scored 8, 8 and 6 times in his three full seasons of getting the ball a lot, two of those offenses were stinkers, and the other saw him sharing time and getting less carries than Thomas Jones, so thinking his TD total will rise is more than reasonable, given that Reid's offenses are always good.

The only thing Charles owners need to worry about is his health, thats it. If he's on the field, he's going to put up ridiculous #'s this year. I think 1,500 total yds and 7 scores is his floor. Gulp.

So Andy's offense has produced six 1000 yard rushers in 14 seasons. The highest peak any of them reached was 1300 rushing yards. Now the receiving yards were monsters those years and I expect Charles to see a significant increase in catches but if Andy's tendencies stay the same, don't expect anything more than 1100 rushing 500 receiving from Charles as his ceiling, not his floor. Pretty good numbers but none to go crazy about the guy being as good as AP.
The problem with this analysis is that it does not reflect charles' yards per carry. Mccoy and Westbrook are not Charles. Use Charles' numbers and then what happens?

Charles' career avg is 5.8. Charles, in theory, would only need 178 carries to get 1000 yards.

If you assume 1100 rushing yards, then that would be around 190 carries.

Let's convert the eagles' rb carries into Charles

2012 if charles = 1160 yds rushing

2011 if chares = 1583 yds rushing

2010 if charles = 1201 yds rushing

2009 is irrelevant, mccoy was a rookie.

2008 if charles = 1352 yrds

2007 if charles = 1612 yds

2006 if charles = 1392 yards

The above averages out to 1383 yards rushing. throw in receiving stats and there *could* be a beast in the making.

So, yeah...... :)

The problem with this analysis is that it does not reflect charles' yards per carry. Use them and then what happens?
McCoy and Westbrook in their best years are as good if not better than charles. So ypc doesn't really mean anything.

The problem with this analysis is that it does not reflect charles' yards per carry. Use them and then what happens?
McCoy and Westbrook in their best years are as good if not better than charles. So ypc doesn't really mean anything.
haha. this is why it is pointless to argue in the shark pool.

Did you even see the numbers? obviously not. I'll link you.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/McCoLe01-2.php

have a drink on me.

Here is charles

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/CharJa00-2.php

ouch.

For quick reference:

Charles' WORST year was 5.3...mccoy's best was 5.2.

Charles' BEST 6.4 (i won't count the 6.9), Mccoy's best 5.2....

Charles' career avg 5.8, mccoy 4.6

So, yeah, numbers matter.

game set match.

You can look at westbrook's stats here-- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WestBr00.htm

Conclusion--Westbook and Mccoy are not as good a runner as charles.

*Sorry, If I sound rude, I just hated the unsubstantiated comment, which seems to be common on this forum.*

Jamaal Charles is going to touch the ball alot, even got a GL today

1-10-KC 20(15:00) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short right to J.Charles to KC 26 for 6 yards (D.Hawthorne). Pass -5, YAC 11
KC_logo-20x20.gif
2-4-KC 26(14:20) A.Smith pass short right to A.Fasano pushed ob at KC 38 for 12 yards (J.Greer). Pass -2, YAC 14
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-10-KC 38(13:54) (Shotgun) J.Charles right tackle to KC 40 for 2 yards (D.Hawthorne).
KC_logo-20x20.gif
2-8-KC 40(13:19) A.Smith pass short left to J.Charles ran ob at KC 48 for 8 yards (K.Lewis). Pass -4, YAC 12
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-10-KC 48(13:05) (Shotgun) A.Smith sacked at KC 47 for -1 yards (J.Greer).
KC_logo-20x20.gif
2-11-KC 47(12:43) (Shotgun) J.Charles right tackle to NO 49 for 4 yards (C.Jordan).
KC_logo-20x20.gif
3-7-NO 49(12:15) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to A.Fasano to NO 40 for 9 yards (R.Harper). Pass 4, YAC 5
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-10-NO 40(11:40) A.Smith pass short right to A.Sherman to NO 32 for 8 yards (J.Richardson). Pass -2, YAC 10
KC_logo-20x20.gif
2-2-NO 32(11:05) J.Charles right guard to NO 30 for 2 yards (G.Foster).
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-10-NO 30(10:28) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to D.McCluster to NO 18 for 12 yards (K.Vaccaro; C.Lofton). Pass 7, YAC 5
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-10-NO 18(9:58) J.Charles left end pushed ob at NO 14 for 4 yards (K.Lewis).
KC_logo-20x20.gif
2-6-NO 14(9:30) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right.
KC_logo-20x20.gif
3-6-NO 14(9:24) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle to J.Charles to NO 1 for 13 yards (R.Bush). Pass 4, YAC 9
KC_logo-20x20.gif
1-1-NO 1(8:43) J.Charles right guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Thoughts on Jamaal Charles injury scare

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

As I traveled across the country to prepare for my visit to the Kansas City Chiefs’ training camp, there was potential major news surrounding the team Monday.

Star running back Jamaal Charles walked off the field during practice and then took a cart ride. After practice, Kansas City coach Andy Reid said X-rays were negative and Charles has a foot strain. Reid said it was possible that Charles can return to action in the coming days.

Later, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that while the team is hopeful Charles will be fine, there are some people close to the situation that are worried. Sometimes foot injuries can be serious even if X-rays are negative. ESPN’s Ed Werder tweeted that the team is still hopeful Charles will be fine.

It will certainly be a major issue to monitor this week.

Needless to say if Charles’ injury is lingering, it will be a crushing blow to the Chiefs, who have had a pretty smooth summer to this point. Reid showed what Charles will mean to his offense in the preseason opener when Charles touched the ball in eight of the 14 plays the Kansas City first-team offense was on the field.

Rookie Knile Davis would likely be the starter if Charles’ injury is more serious than currently believed.

Meanwhile, rookie right tackle Eric Fisher was back on the practice field Monday for the first team since the Chiefs played at New Orleans on Friday night. He has been dealing with shoulder and thumb issues.

Also, Schefter reported former Jets linebacker Bart Scott is healthy and could sign with a team soon. Early in the offseason, we looked at why Scott could fit with the Chiefs, starting with his former position coach, Bob Sutton, being the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator. The Chiefs have since drafted rookie Nico Johnson. But if Kansas City wants depth at the spot, Scott could be considered.

Rotoworld:

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk that Jamaal Charles (foot) is "fine."
The source offers up nothing more. The Chiefs have already said Charles is dealing with a foot strain, and X-rays later confirmed there were no broken bones. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Charles is walking around but is "having trouble pushing off." He'll almost certainly be held out of this week's exhibition game. Charles' timetable for recovery is currently unknown.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles racked up eight touches in the Chiefs' preseason opener even though the starters ran just 14 plays.
Charles was on the field for all 14 of those snaps. He rushed five times for 13 yards with a touchdown and added three catches for 27 yards. As expected, Charles is going to be featured in Andy Reid's offense just like Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy were in Philly. He's in for a monster workload.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk that Jamaal Charles (foot) is "fine."
The source offers up nothing more. The Chiefs have already said Charles is dealing with a foot strain, and X-rays later confirmed there were no broken bones. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Charles is walking around but is "having trouble pushing off." He'll almost certainly be held out of this week's exhibition game. Charles' timetable for recovery is currently unknown.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
i wonder if he hurt it during the preseason game TD ...it was a hard nose dive and very physical.

Jamaal really doesn't have that much mileage on him either. A lot of people forget that Carl Peterson continued to give LJ the big money and all of the carries while the real talent waited on the bench. In football terms, Jamaal is actually a couple years younger than his real age.

I don't think "floor" means what some people in here think it means.
one guy gave a ceiling of 1100 rushing yards, something he's eclipsed three times.
I stand by it. His passing yards will increase significantly but I expect around 1100 rushing.
lol at 1100I like how he'll be passing more too.
I think this is his breakout season as a passer. When Smith goes down, it's Charles's job to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread