What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Harrison to return sons' participation trophies (1 Viewer)

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
Harrison doing the Lord's work here.

"I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues"

I throw ours away. I tried to get the rec park guy to stop buying them. When he finally did he said he got this huge response from everyone else that they really wanted them. So back to the trash I go.

Harrison's salary isn't for participating in the sport. Everyone realizes this right?

eta - looking at how many people took the bait over foot ball air pressure, I guess not. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never saw the harm in participation trophies. If this can motivate a kid to do something that is good for them, why is that not a good thing?

If they then turn out to be really good at what ever it is they do, then they can earn real trophies.

I can't imagine what is going to happen when this group of kids that we are raising has to make it out into the workforce and deal with some of the Richards that are out there who demand it all done yesterday and don't offer up a cookie for doing what they are supposed to be doing.

By returning the trophies, he makes it look like they might actually be worth something. He should have just made a footstool out of them.

If he was genuine about this why didn't he just do it, rather than tell the world about it?
It wasn't like a donation to a charitable cause where it detracts from it if you publicize your own good deeds. In this instance, he's TRYING to call people out for supporting the participation trophy generation

I can't imagine what is going to happen when this group of kids that we are raising has to make it out into the workforce and deal with some of the Richards that are out there who demand it all done yesterday and don't offer up a cookie for doing what they are supposed to be doing.
They will get a cookie, it's called a salary.

My twins have always given their trophies earned or participation to the younger kids in our neighborhood. Young kids I would say under 8 really do like to get trophies. Up to a certain age who gives a ####? It is not like you are going to be sitting in a bar when you are 30 and say, "Man back in 2nd grade we were kings! We went undefeated and got those sweet ### trophies! You still have yours?"

Giving out participation trophies for 10 and older is BS. In fact the better thing to do is give out t-shirts for those kids who don't win a trophy. You get something to wear and show. Plus it keeps Mom and Dad from complaining about we paid 200 dollars for lil Billy to play baseball and didn't get a ### ####ed thing for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My twins have always given their trophies earned or participation to the younger kids in our neighborhood. Young kids I would say under 8 really do like to get trophies. Up to a certain age who gives a ####? It is not like you are going to be sitting in a bar when you are 30 and say, "Man back in 2nd grade we were kings! We went undefeated and got those sweet ### trophies! You still have yours?"

Giving out participation trophies for 10 and older is BS. In fact the better thing to do is give out t-shirts for those kids who don't win a trophy. You get something to wear and show. Plus it keeps Mom and Dad from complaining about we paid 200 dollars for lil Billy to play baseball and didn't get a ### ####ed thing for it.
The bolded/underline x 10,000.

Back in my day, we didn't even get trophies when we did win things.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Seriously though, giving trophies to everyone is a little too much. What's wrongs with a nice "participation" certificate? I would guess the majority of those certificates and ribbons end up in the trash.

If he was genuine about this why didn't he just do it, rather than tell the world about it?
The irony here may bring down the message board.
Really? In what sense?
I thought it was because you probably spend more time than anyone I've ever known telling people your opinions on stuff and your top 100 favorite everythings. I caught the irony too :shrug:
im not a celebrity. And while I do offer a lot of opinions, I don't spend a ton of time talking about how I reward/punish my kids. I rarely talk about them at all. I certainly don't take things away from them in order to announce to the world that I did.

The irony here may bring down the message board.
Really? In what sense?
I thought it was because you probably spend more time than anyone I've ever known telling people your opinions on stuff and your top 100 favorite everythings. I caught the irony too :shrug:
im not a celebrity. And while I do offer a lot of opinions, I don't spend a ton of time talking about how I reward/punish my kids. I rarely talk about them at all. I certainly don't take things away from them in order to announce to the world that I did.
How tall are you? Because for some reason this is going right over your head.

There should be a word for the special irony of people who spend roughly 55 hours a week on a internet message boards worrying about cultural norms that may undermine our children's work ethic.

The bolded/underline x 10,000.
X 1,000,000. Glad Harrison turned them in and made it public so that maybe he can stop this plague.

Users who are viewing this thread